Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,906 members, 7,814,065 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. (12830 Views)

5 Things To Avoid When Evangelizing/sharing The Gospel / Gospel On Wheels: Beautiful Keke Napep Used For Preaching / Man Insists On Preaching The Gospel On British Airways Flight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by Goshen360(m): 9:58pm On Feb 27, 2012
Recently, I began to do some intensive studies on some Pentecostal issues in the body of Christ. One of the things I stumbled on is this subject. Hence, I want us to look deeply into this subject as the Lord will permit us. Many Preachers and Pastors today quote 1 Corinthians 9:1-14 supporting them to get salary from the Church for preaching the gospel because they are preaching the gospel as a full time preacher. Is it right or biblical for a preacher to get monthly salary preaching the gospel of Jesus? Remembering the instructions of Jesus when He sent His disciples to preach the gospel, He said to them,

As you go, preach this message: 'The kingdom of heaven is near.' Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. Matthew 10:7-8 (NIV)

1 Corinthians 9:1-14 (NIV)

[b]1. Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not the result of my work in the Lord?
2. Even though I may not be an apostle to others, surely I am to you! For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.
3.This is my defense to those who sit in judgment on me.
4. Don’t we have the right to food and drink?
5. Don’t we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord’s brothers and Cephasa?
6. Or is it only I and Barnabas who must work for a living?
7. Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its grapes? Who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk?
8. Do I say this merely from a human point of view? Doesn’t the Law say the same thing?
9. For it is written in the Law of Moses: “Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain.”b Is it about oxen that God is concerned?
10. Surely he says this for us, doesn’t he? Yes, this was written for us, because when the plowman plows and the thresher threshes, they ought to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest.
11. If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you?
12. If others have this right of support from you, shouldn’t we have it all the more? But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.
13. Don’t you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar?
14. In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.[/b]

Please let's be mature in our presentation and no abusive words. Kindly support your view with bible verse for or against this topic with explanation. Thank you and God bless.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by JeSoul(f): 10:28pm On Feb 27, 2012
^hmm . . . haven't you kinda answered the question already?

goshen360:
13. Don’t you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar?
14. In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.[/b][/i]

As long as church funds are being discharged appropriately not only is there nothing wrong in paying pastors and other church employees, it is our obligation as the congregation to support them not only financially but spiritually and in other ways as well. Let us not let the abuse of this priviledge by some prevent us from doing what we ought to do.

1 Like

Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by Goshen360(m): 1:32am On Feb 28, 2012
JeSoul:

As long as church funds are being discharged appropriately not only is there nothing wrong in paying pastors and other church employees, it is our obligation as the congregation to support them not only financially but spiritually and in other ways as well. Let us not let the abuse of this priviledge by some prevent us from doing what we ought to do.

1. I didn't answer the question. The highlighted is part of the bible verses quoted. One verse of scripture doesn't justify a christian practice. From the mouth of two or three witnesses, the truth shall be established. We cannot just sit on one verse of the bible or one chapter and make a teaching out of it. That will not be rightly dividing the word of truth.

2. Highlighted in red. There is nothing wrong in paying pastor but no Apostle received salary neither did Jesus our perfect example.

3. Highlighted in green. I think that is exactly what that bible verse or chapter is talking about.

4. Highlighted in Blue. The good and the bad are all mixed together.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by Snowwy: 6:58am On Feb 28, 2012
JeSoul:

I think Jesoul just nailed it.

goshen360:

1. I didn't answer the question. The highlighted is part of the bible verses quoted. One verse of scripture doesn't justify a christian practice. From the mouth of two or three witnesses, the truth shall be established. We cannot just sit on one verse of the bible or one chapter and make a teaching out of it. That will not be rightly dividing the word of truth.

2. Highlighted in red. There is nothing wrong in paying pastor but no Apostle received salary neither did Jesus our perfect example.

3. Highlighted in green. I think that is exactly what that bible verse or chapter is talking about.

4. Highlighted in Blue. The good and the bad are all mixed together.

@goshen,
Apostle Paul received support. II Cor. 11:8
We have been told to give double honour to the elders that serve well and other scriptures. I Tim 5:17-18
I do not understand what you mean by 'sit on one verse of scripture'.

The other apostles also received. Even the II Cor 9:4-6 says it all. Acts 4.
Besides, the other disciples also handled all the monies received from the sale of lands/property that the people brought to their feet for distribution to all who needed. It was like communal living.

@goshen,
I understand that there are a lot of stuff going on in churches but why do you not rather focus more or spreading the importance of giving that holding on to things like Pastor's salary.

Have you ever sold land that you have or other heavy investment and brought the funds to be shared to people in need in your church or taken it to a charity if you are not confident with the church handling it? Is that not what you seem to be hammering on.

Seriously I need to ask this question because if a pastor's wage is now a bone of contention, I wonder if all who claim to 'give freely' actually give to help the needy, charities at all.
(Edited)
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by jmoore(m): 7:28am On Feb 28, 2012
you mean a pastor will work for the church and not get paid? How will he work efficiently if he cannot pay his rents, pay children school fees, provide food for his family or even travel to spread the gospel? sometimes I wonder if these kinds of topics are posted by christians.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by TeeJay6(m): 9:03am On Feb 28, 2012
jmoore:

you mean a pastor will work for the church and not get paid? How will he work efficiently if he cannot pay his rents, pay children school fees, provide food for his family or even travel to spread the gospel? sometimes I wonder if these kinds of topics are posted by christians.
Haba jmore why didnt you complete that statement? Ok make i help you, "Sometime I wonder if these kin of topics are posted by christians or people with less than 1 brain cell" Now how about that, wink

The poster comes up with a daft topic without even applying any sort of reasoning whatsoever, The pastor should spend his time preaching/praying/counselling so that his parishioner's life can be blessed at the same time spend countless nights praying for God to provide miraculously so that he can pay his house rent/school fees or even feed his household all because people like the poster thinks pastoral work is a call to suffering and penury.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by OmoPastor(m): 10:04am On Feb 28, 2012
@ mr goshen360
i do not know what is going through your mind by bringing up this topic but i think you should take this my candid advise: start your own ministry and do not pay yourself or anyone that works with you and lets see how far you will go in winning the world for Jesus lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by OmoPastor(m): 10:06am On Feb 28, 2012
@ mr goshen360
i do not know what is going through your mind by bringing up this topic but i think you should take this my candid advise: start your own ministry and do not pay yourself or anyone that works with you and lets see how far you will go in winning the world for Jesus  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by OmoPastor(m): 10:08am On Feb 28, 2012
@ mr goshen360
i do not know what is going through your mind by bringing up this topic but i think you should take this my candid advise: start your own ministry and do not pay yourself or anyone that works with you and lets see how far you will go in winning the world for Jesus  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by OmoPastor(m): 10:10am On Feb 28, 2012
@ mr goshen360
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by stepo707: 12:57pm On Feb 28, 2012
start your own ministry
I do hear this phrase everywhere "my ministry". who the hell authorised you to open a ministry?God is not an author of confusion.The church belongs to Christ as he is the head(Eph 5:23-25) and no one to any individual.Infact when you here any pastor saying that phrase,that man/woman must be a false prophet/pastor.
Its because everyone sees church as an avenue to quick money that's why there is so many conflicting doctrines.
Back to the topic, A pastor/preacher is no supposed to get any monthly salary.No where in the scripture where the apostles or disciples that went about preaching received a dime for preaching the gospel.When the Lord calls you,he will definitely provide for your needs but dont expect compensation in form of monthly salary for doing God's work.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by freshcvv(m): 1:02pm On Feb 28, 2012
Any pastor that works outside preaching SHOULD NEVER BE PAID SALARIES from the church purse.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by stagger: 1:04pm On Feb 28, 2012
OP,

You are indeed worse than a cretin.

So how do you expect a full-time pastor to pay all the bills that you pay as a Nigerian?
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by johndavid1(m): 1:12pm On Feb 28, 2012
na 4wia u daE WRK NA DIA U GO CHOP NA
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by freecocoa(f): 1:18pm On Feb 28, 2012
OP na wa for you o,man must wack na,na where you work you go chop o.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by lilkech(m): 1:18pm On Feb 28, 2012
There are different kinds of jobs

WHITE COLLAR JOB

BLUE COLLAR JOB

BLACK COLLAR JOB

& introducing

HOLY COLLAR JOB
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by muyoto: 1:43pm On Feb 28, 2012
@OP, the willful giving of the congregation to support the gospel, if you like in the form of salary to pastors, is encouraged by the bible.

what I believed is discouraged is the practice of [b]demanding [/b]money before preaching or ministering which is what MAtt 10: 7, is talking about.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by gseintegrity(m): 1:46pm On Feb 28, 2012
A LABOURER IS WORTHY OF HIS MEAT![i][/i][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#006600][/color] smiley
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by emmatok(m): 1:47pm On Feb 28, 2012
OmoPastor:

@ mr goshen360

Preachers are not to get salaries, but they expected to feed and live on the church.

TITHES ARE FOR THE LEVITES, it is not salary.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by Nobody: 2:02pm On Feb 28, 2012
lilkech:

There are different kinds of jobs

WHITE COLLAR JOB

BLUE COLLAR JOB

BLACK COLLAR JOB

& introducing

HOLY COLLAR JOB

Lwkmd and this seems to be the most profitable job ever cuz you may end up having fleets of jets and cars like Adeboye and oyedepo.Sumbodi sout alaeluya !
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by Yornandrew: 2:05pm On Feb 28, 2012
Those that preach the gospel should live of the gospel
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by Nobody: 2:09pm On Feb 28, 2012
freshcvv:

Any pastor that works outside preaching SHOULD NEVER BE PAID SALARIES from the church purse.
stepo707:

I do hear this phrase everywhere "my ministry". who the hell authorised you to open a ministry?God is not an author of confusion.The church belongs to Christ as he is the head(Eph 5:23-25) and no one to any individual.Infact when you here any pastor saying that phrase,that man/woman must be a false prophet/pastor.
Its because everyone sees church as an avenue to quick money that's why there is so many conflicting doctrines.
Back to the topic, A pastor/preacher is no supposed to get any monthly salary.No where in the scripture where the apostles or disciples that went about preaching received a dime for preaching the gospel.When the Lord calls you,he will definitely provide for your needs but dont expect compensation in form of monthly salary for doing God's work.

Spot on.
2 Thess. 3:8
New International Version (©1984)
"nor did we eat anyone's food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you

This was Apostle paul talking. Aside being an apostle (full time preacher), he was also a tent maker, to support himself.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by OmoPastor(m): 2:19pm On Feb 28, 2012
I say it again and i put it to you mr. poster; if you think what you are saying is right, go start a new ministry and never pay yourself with all that might work with you and lets see how far you will go in winning the world for Jesus angry angry angry
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by emmatok(m): 2:24pm On Feb 28, 2012
OmoPastor:

I say it again and i put it to you mr. poster; if you think what you are saying is right, go start a new ministry and never pay yourself with all that might work with you and lets see how far you will go in winning the world for Jesus angry angry angry

Why get angry over a question,

Preachers and Pastors do not need any salaries.

They feed and live off TITHE AND OFFERING that is enough.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by muyoto: 2:28pm On Feb 28, 2012
emmatok:

how different is a tithe from salary? i this context, both are paid to the pastor for his upkeep.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by larimo(m): 2:32pm On Feb 28, 2012
There is one principle I urge all Christians to abide by and that is: Pray SINCERELY to God to enlighten you about his own word and His work before making needless judgments or statements.

A lot of people are using the seemingly unpopular trend of 'having rich ministers' for their arguments.  Granted, in many corners, not all, there seem to be a lot of manipulation of naive individuals when it comes to tithes and offerings, however, we need to uncover the Bible for ourselves. Only lazy and stubborn Christians will choose not to read and study the Bible. No good preacher will tell you not to read the Bible. Only the Holy Spirit can give you the right interpretation of God's word. No one gets it right all the time, some of us held some doctrines in the past, but have today denounced them!

The Bible clearly says that there is nothing wrong to support ministers. Better still, we should support ministers. In today's church, this support has been structured into a salary scheme. Do they not need this support to continue in the ministry? They do. If the support from members fall, will their salaries or call it support not fall also? Surely it will. I agree that in some sectors, there have been abuses, but it doesnt change the truth that we should support God's servants.

The original poster said Jesus said 'freely you've received, freely give' but trhe same Lord Jesus in Luke 22 vs 35-36 said to them before he was arrested that: "Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered. He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one". Let's understand the Bible in context.  Have a blessed week everyone.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by Joagbaje(m): 2:33pm On Feb 28, 2012
Most pastor these days have their own professional jobs or business but there are still some who May not be able or allowed of God to work by the virtue of their responsibility. They have to devote full attention to the ministry . Such will require support  from the church. And it's according to scripture . Jesus himself Recieved financial support, likewise Paul and other apostles .

Luke 10:7
7 And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.

1 Timothy 5:17-18
17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine. 18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by OmoPastor(m): 2:37pm On Feb 28, 2012
@ emmatok

do you understand what we are talking about at all?
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by Nobody: 2:58pm On Feb 28, 2012
I strongly disagree with Jesoul. Why would you disobey the words of Jesus and follow Paul? Cant you see there are two different doctrines? Please use common sense

The kingdom of heaven is near.' Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. Matthew 10:7-8 (NIV)

I dont know the point of this argument. Is it to believe Jesus or to follow Paul?

Being a Pastor is charity work. They must not be on salary because it contradicts everything Jesus stands for.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by Nobody: 3:03pm On Feb 28, 2012
DaShyGuy:

Spot on.
2 Thess. 3:8
New International Version (©1984)
"nor did we eat anyone's food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you

This was Apostle paul talking. Aside being an apostle (full time preacher), he was also a tent maker, to support himself.

+1
OmoPastor:

Lol, one cannot just wake up and open a ministry. U have to be genuinely called of God o.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by rotciv2011(m): 3:11pm On Feb 28, 2012
larimo:

There is one principle I urge all Christians to abide by and that is: Pray SINCERELY to God to enlighten you about his own word and His work before making needless judgments or statements.

A lot of people are using the seemingly unpopular trend of 'having rich ministers' for their arguments.  Granted, in many corners, not all, there seem to be a lot of manipulation of naive individuals when it comes to tithes and offerings, however, we need to uncover the Bible for ourselves. Only lazy and stubborn Christians will choose not to read and study the Bible. No good preacher will tell you not to read the Bible. Only the Holy Spirit can give you the right interpretation of God's word. No one gets it right all the time, some of us held some doctrines in the past, but have today denounced them!

The Bible clearly says that there is nothing wrong to support ministers. Better still, we should support ministers. In today's church, this support has been structured into a salary scheme. Do they not need this support to continue in the ministry? They do. If the support from members fall, will their salaries or call it support not fall also? Surely it will. I agree that in some sectors, there have been abuses, but it doesnt change the truth that we should support God's servants.

The original poster said Jesus said 'freely you've received, freely give' but trhe same Lord Jesus in Luke 22 vs 35-36 said to them before he was arrested that: "Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” “Nothing,” they answered. He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one". Let's understand the Bible in context.  Have a blessed week everyone.
Ppl, sorry I have to repeat the entire post above. The word of God is clear enough to those who bother to ask the Holy Spirit for guidance as they read.
Re: Preachers And Pastors Receiving Monthly Salary For Preaching The Gospel. by Nobody: 3:12pm On Feb 28, 2012
If they work on the plain, let them eat from the plain or would you rather they dipped their fingers in the till or where do you expect them to get their physical sustenance from? I don't blame the Pastor jo, i blame the entire religious industry, yes i said industry, look around you, its obvious that religion is a thriving sector of the Nigerian economy, i move that all religious institutions be openly audited and taxed, but until then can anyone tell me how i can hitch a ride on Pastor Oyedepo's private jet, afterall me too contribute for the tithes and offerings wey them use buy am. I don't know where it is written in the Bible sey na only Pastor go dey experience miracle

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Happens If You Commit Suicide / Actual Date Of Ileya Festival / Good Morning Prayers : May The Lord Make His Face To Shine Upon You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.