Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors (10740 Views)

2023 Presidency: Try South-East For 4 Years - Umahi Tells APC / I’m Leaving PDP For APC, Umahi Tells Secondus, Others / National ID Cards Ready For Collection —NIMC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by Bobloco: 11:23am On Sep 15, 2023
The Minister of Works, David Umahi, has announced to contractors handling Federal Road projects across the country that the President Ahmed Tinubu-led administration has N431bn ready to be paid out to them.

He made the announcement at a meeting with contractors in his office yesterday.

The minister equally told the contractors that henceforth all contractors will be required to sign performance contracts to guarantee that roads constructed would last for at least 10 years.

This was contained in a statement signed by the Director of Information and Public Relations of the Ministry, Mrs. Blessing Lere-Adams.

Umahi also announced the Ministry’s intention to pay greater attention to dualised roads across the country.

She quoted the Minister as saying, “Why we are here now is to announce our intention to face most of the dualised roads in the country.

“ I want to remind you that Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) is funding 50% percent of the contract sum and that funding goes up to 2025.

“We have N431B of money that is ready for contractors to clear but there is no certificate for it, if you are doing a job under Phase 1, make effort to make claims, if your job involves augmentation go back to your Regional Director for understanding before I sign the certificate, any certificate I sign now, I have to take account for it even when I have left office.”

The Minister tasked the contractors to stick to one lane if their job has not gone up to 50% completion; he said he had also come up with Performance Bond meaning that all new projects would be guaranteed for 10 years.

He urged all contractors that have built roads that cannot last up to ten years to write to the Ministry to either stop work or rebuild the road to last 10 years, the Minister warned each of the contractors against coming up with excuses should any of their roads fail to meet the required standards.

The minister appealed for cooperation in ensuring that the concrete technology which the administration was moving towards succeeds.

According to him, this technology has been successfully put to use in India and Singapore.

Earlier, Engr. Umahi encouraged the contractors and other stakeholders to key into the Renewed Hope Agenda of Mr President, he said this Administration has 18000 kilometre of roads and inherited a contract sum of about N14.1 trillion and out of which N4trillion is being paid in all those projects, some of the projects have lasted between 10 to 20years.

The Minister said some contractors have jerked up the contractor sum by hundred percent and that is the reason they are not getting paid.

“We are going back to the original concept of the projects and the necessity of any additional works and also see how we get a fair deal, expecting an endorsement from the Ministry of what is not acceptable to Nigerian Society of Engineers is not possible,“ the Minister said.

Umahi also noted that “ Mr President understands road infrastructure, If I come before him with a contract of N44B reviewed to N144B contract sum, I must be able to provide details of how the cost came about.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/09/roads-weve-n431bn-ready-for-collection-umahi-tells-contractors/amp/

8 Likes

Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by TemplarLandry: 11:47am On Sep 15, 2023
cool

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 11:55am On Sep 15, 2023
Umahi has the capacity to deliver project. Not some people who told us that electricity is not rocket science. Las las after 8yrs, power supply turn to rocket sci.

BAT made the right decision here, with Umahi as minister of works..

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by Imindmywords(m): 12:48pm On Sep 15, 2023
Dis man might be N43.1B richer...... you gerrit?? grin grin grin grin grin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by EdiskyHarry: 12:48pm On Sep 15, 2023
I know very well that umahi will perform well.
Key positions like this should always be given to men.
Look at how sadiya (former minister of humanitarian affairs)
Rubbished the ministry and left with nothing to impact in the society. now another woman has taken offer to destroy it completely.

2 Likes

Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:48pm On Sep 15, 2023
Umahi is also a hardworking Minister.
Keep it up sir.

Nigeria will be great in our lifetime whether the evil ones like it or not.

We Rise

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by Ofunaofu: 12:49pm On Sep 15, 2023
shocked
Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by INTEGRITYA1(m): 12:49pm On Sep 15, 2023
Make Ogun State government look into the Proposal I've submitted since long time ago. I have lot to offer in relation to Real Estate related projects.

God Bless Nigeria.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by Chuknovski(m): 12:49pm On Sep 15, 2023
Story story, no be the same nigeria wey we know again? We sidon dey look,

1 Like

Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by Igbokwechika101(m): 12:49pm On Sep 15, 2023
Audio money
Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:49pm On Sep 15, 2023
OkpaNsukkaisBae:
Umahi has the capacity to deliver project. Not some people who told us that electricity is not rocket science. Las las after 8yrs, power supply turn to rocket sci.

BAT made the right decision here, with Umahi as minister of works..
Ah Ah.
Okpa woke up on the right side of his mat today o.
Good boy.
Keep it up.

God bless Okpa.
God bless Umahi.
God bless Nigeria 🇳🇬

28 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by TriCee: 12:49pm On Sep 15, 2023
I love Umahi's appointment most
Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by abdeefggh: 12:49pm On Sep 15, 2023
umahi will perform
Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by Akerele44(m): 12:50pm On Sep 15, 2023
No this Umahi has proven himself as an outstanding Minister

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by Kenmatt(m): 12:50pm On Sep 15, 2023
I didn't go through down.

Umahi is a performer however.

But all the Ministers have to hump into works.

Not just works, but plunging into massive concrete performance inorder to enhance the administration's performance and rub powder on it's face as it's perceived it's face is rubbed with charcoal.

Above all, they just need to prove to Nigerians that "good thing can still come out from Jerusalem".

That's my point.
Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by bewla(m): 12:52pm On Sep 15, 2023
No good news
Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by missionmex(m): 12:53pm On Sep 15, 2023
post=125806861:
Umahi is also a hardworking Minister
To pay for work done is now hard work in Nigeria, Kai.
Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by AllBlack: 12:55pm On Sep 15, 2023
missionmex:

To pay for work done is now hard work in Nigeria, Kai.

only in Africa. you beg for your wages

1 Like

Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by jurjes(f): 12:58pm On Sep 15, 2023
Let's get to work already, fresh undergraduates and returning students will soon be returning to school by road
Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by dfrost: 12:59pm On Sep 15, 2023
Let's translate to tangibles.
Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by Okpokpo09: 12:59pm On Sep 15, 2023
Every government focuses on road projects, because they know its the only way they loot money. Can’t they invite foreign companies by investing over 50 percent to attract investors into the country. Nonsense criminals

1 Like

Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by Winning123: 1:02pm On Sep 15, 2023
You need help!

Okpokpo09:
Every government focuses on road projects, because they know its the only way they loot money. Can’t they invite foreign companies by investing over 50 percent to attract investors into the country. Nonsense criminals
Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by Foodhub2023: 1:07pm On Sep 15, 2023
Bobloco:

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/09/roads-weve-n431bn-ready-for-collection-umahi-tells-contractors/amp/

Weldone
I dont care about your party but about the country NIGERIA... GOD BLESS THIS MAN
Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by SpatialKing(m): 1:08pm On Sep 15, 2023
So funny
Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by Orathird: 1:10pm On Sep 15, 2023
Omo
Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by FireUpNow(m): 1:11pm On Sep 15, 2023
Very loud audio!!!
Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by Reference(m): 1:11pm On Sep 15, 2023
Mr. Umahi. Construction is one of the three bricks and mortar sectors that can reflate the economy by creating productive jobs. It is used in times of economic depression the world over to spur growth.

But this our model where resources are channeled to a few enterprises, mainly foreign owned and managed ones to do work at questionable, clandestine cost will not help this country.

At the very least you should have a program of mass engagement of individuals, co-operatives and small enterprises to handle the very basic aspects of various engineering works up and down the value chain.

As a matter of fact the government you serve should place a direct demand on your Ministry to create opportunities for youth engagement. skills acquisition/transfer and empowerment for enterprise that will outlast every single project undertaken.

Left to me the only 'Contractors' I will engage are those who are capitalized enough to turnkey (which means only for economically viable projects) or for highly specialized projects with competencies not presently domiciled in Nigeria. All social projects of low complexity should be handled by direct labour under license.

Every youth in Nigeria with a humble educational background or non self supporting skill-sets should be physically involved in construction, mining and agriculture simultaneously (if possible) as a government policy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by Ckonnet: 1:22pm On Sep 15, 2023
Omo igbo on the beat, jagaban try for this one.
Re: Roads: We Have N431 Billion Ready For Collection, Umahi Tells Contractors by FireUpNow(m): 1:26pm On Sep 15, 2023
Remellu:
We have 431 billion ready for looting.That should be the headline

Exactly ooo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Court Rules On Ipob’s Motion Against Proscription Jan 17 / Governor El-rufai Receives Chieftaincy Title In Southern Kaduna / EFCC Re-Arraigns Femi Fani-Kayode On Amended 17-Count Charge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.