Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:22 AM

How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? (12722 Views)

Female Soldier, Ruth Ogunleye Arrested After Complaining About Sexual Harassment / How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? / Rocks Quest FM/TV Presenters Sacked Over Sexual Harassment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by sunsweet33: 6:53am On Sep 17, 2023
My office hired a new manager and as I was standing by the side doing something he came up behind me put his hand on my lower back/waist and asked “how are you doing”. At that moment all my usual fire went out of the window and I just froze up. Actually there were 3 other senior staff around who must have seen it and warned him because thereafter, he only tapped my shoulder or shoulder blades (which I dont have any problem with).

Now a couple of days ago I had my hands full again doing something and this man passed behind me, held both sides of my waist very briefly and brushed against my back.

the whole thing was over in less than 5 seconds and I didn’t even see the person until I turned my head to see him watching me from the other side of the office.

bearing in mind this is a senior boss, I don’t feel I can shout or confront as normal so I have just been giving some stern/cold attitudes and stepping out of the way in a more exaggerated way whenever he passes by me. And he has started reciprocating the awkwardness which made it easier for me.

But how realistic is this? In another thread somebody wrote that his brother tried to get his female colleagues fired for rejecting his advances and I fear something similar may happen to me.

Its so irritating. This guy says he has a girlfriend so why not go home and touch her? WTF.

18 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by iamtardey: 7:01am On Sep 17, 2023
Sexual harassment? Just resign cos it never stops…or. Stand up to him let him know your kind, I’m afraid you will have to kip doing that till further notice tho cos it never stops. And yes it’s most likely go that way one of you or him has to be made scapegoat…. The odds are against you but… your ball

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by MrsTwrite(f): 7:09am On Sep 17, 2023
Hmmm... My dear, it's better you start looking for another job cos it's quite embarrassing.

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by iamtardey: 7:11am On Sep 17, 2023
MrsTwrite:
Hmmm... My dear, it's better you start looking for another job cos it's quite embarrassing.
I dey tell you… it’s never gon end really.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by correctguy101(m): 7:18am On Sep 17, 2023
Even me wey be man no dey like make somebody wey I no get anything with touch me...

All my awareness go wake once I perceive say someone touch me and I'll immediately be ready to defend myself ( not in a jumpy way o, but the look in my eyes most times even scare my women). Some thiefs don spoil my psyche, just one touch and many things go miss ....smh

Just let the baba know you know what he wants and you're not giving. Your keeping quiet is making our manager have hope. And if he continues after the warning, let him know you can take legal action if he doesn't stop his itchy fingers.

And all those werey recommending resignation, na wa for una o.

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by correctguy101(m): 7:22am On Sep 17, 2023
iamtardey:
I dey tell you… it’s never gon end really.

No be lie...

No woman in any outfit is safe from this

Somebody must want to knack her, married or not. Workplace no care..

Best is you go look for something sell ni o, if you know say you no wan do.

Many have done and climbed. That's women in high positions at all these offices take no nonsense from anyone. They prefer to have something with clients then.. My current babe is so .

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by sunsweet33: 7:41am On Sep 17, 2023
iamtardey:
Sexual harassment? Just resign cos it never stops…or. Stand up to him let him know your kind, I’m afraid you will have to kip doing that till further notice tho cos it never stops. And yes it’s most likely go that way one of you or him has to be made scapegoat…. The odds are against you but… your ball

Resign? At my previous place, the manager did this same thing to me and another lady and the worst part was that he still continued even as his wife was heavily pregnant. He would miss morning session to attend his wife’s antenatals then come and disturb us…does it make sense?

I eventually lost my temper and exploded over another issue, he took offence and submitted my name for transfer with so much embarrassment which I rejected and left the job, only to enter this new snake pit again…make una help me o..where am I resigning and running to again

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Nobody: 8:02am On Sep 17, 2023
sunsweet33:

Resign? At my previous place, the manager did this same thing to me and another lady and the worst part was that he still continued even as his wife was heavily pregnant. He would miss morning session to attend his wife’s antenatals then come and disturb us…does it make sense?

I eventually lost my temper and exploded over another issue, he took offence and submitted my name for transfer with so much embarrassment which I rejected and left the job, only to enter this new snake pit again…make una help me o..where am I resigning and running to again

This decision isn’t hard.
Fight this harassment and either win the battle or lose your job or keep pampering it until he asks you for sex with the condition that you give him or lose your job.
The choice is yours. If your job is more important you’ll have to give in. If your dignity is more important you’ll set him up, get evidence and then take it to authorities higher than your boss’ boss.

12 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by iamtardey: 8:24am On Sep 17, 2023
sunsweet33:

oya kini solution bayi o
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by iamtardey: 8:26am On Sep 17, 2023
DominusPrime:

This decision isn’t hard.
Fight this harassment and either win the battle or lose your job or keep pampering it until he asks you for sex with the condition that you give him or lose your job.
The choice is yours. If your job is more important you’ll have to give in. If your dignity is more important you’ll set him up, get evidence and then take it to authorities higher than your boss’ boss.
WAHALA promax
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by hakeemhakeem(m): 9:59am On Sep 17, 2023
sunsweet33:

Na to show them Waiting make foul no pee o
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by ShoeWorld1(m): 1:46pm On Sep 18, 2023
From what I read up there, you're the one seducing your Co-workers.
Must you always bend your waist like a mason turning cement whenever the manager is approaching
And I know you always put on skirts and gowns that are above the knee and tight to show your shapes.

Anyways to answer your question irrespective of your seduction.

You'll start behaving abnormally whenever you're with sex predators. Start doing something disgusting like picking your nose and tasting it lipsrsealed
You can also pollute when alone with him and believe me, that perfect picture he has about fvcking your cunt hard will disappear with immediate alacrity.
You can also feel free to tell him that you want to go and poo grin

I have never heard that someone got fired for doing any of the above things.
And there are more I would like to add but I don't want to write too much.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by LasgidiOnline(m): 1:46pm On Sep 18, 2023
You deal with it
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Guderian(m): 1:46pm On Sep 18, 2023
Start Considering options outside your workplace

Keep it cool, if he makes physical advances again make it hot
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Guanchoco(m): 1:47pm On Sep 18, 2023
Alright nice one
Meanwhile at a cheap price dm me for your logo and flyer design
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Cholls(m): 1:47pm On Sep 18, 2023
My brother I fuuk her
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by FuckTheMod: 1:47pm On Sep 18, 2023
ANY BASTARD TRYING TO HARRAS YOU, MALE OR OLD HAG IDIŌT FEMALE,
JUST SET THEM UP TO GET EVIDENCE!

Koba them.
Use your phones,
Use camera,
Use voice recorder etc

IT WORKS LIKE CHARM

6 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by robinfemi: 1:47pm On Sep 18, 2023
Simple knowledge, quit.

If you are enjoying, stay

If you prefer money than yourself, don't complain

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by jubrilELsudan: 1:47pm On Sep 18, 2023
NA TO PUT SOMETHING FOR HIM TEA OOO

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by CHIOMAEZEH: 1:49pm On Sep 18, 2023
Only one option... Na to call these my gooms to come treat the matter their way!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex__6LcJr8E

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Okortor: 1:50pm On Sep 18, 2023
Should this be a topic for discussion at this point in time? Considering the high cost of things, gas, fuel, transportation and food stuffs, why not come up with a topic for an alternative means of income for survival to ease the hardship effect!

Indeed Nigerian youth are lazy and bubu was right after all. Sex and Sex has blinded her youth......

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by parkervero(m): 1:50pm On Sep 18, 2023
Ask him what does he want from you?

Tell him, that the way he is sexually harassing me might cause him big trouble.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Dikastan: 1:51pm On Sep 18, 2023
Talk to him politely

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by IyaTola: 1:51pm On Sep 18, 2023
cheesy
Work Place Sexual Harassment is common and both ways, however women are statistically more on the receiving end than the giving end. Consequently, even as common as it is, it places a lot of emotional and psychological stress on the Victim. This is because it is just a step away from rape/sexual assault.

Do not assume you are overreacting. Report him immediately to your boss. Escalate it. He is already stalking you by touching your waist already. Perhaps creeping and peeping and listening.

Tell him you will report him to your boss. Tell your boss that you are doing so because it is the right thing to do in such a circumstance. The reason for reporting to your boss is not only because you want him cautioned. It is also because from an Occupational Health, Safety and Well-being perspective, it is simply the procedure to follow and the thing to do. Tell your boss to call a chat with you both and complain further. I am assuming it is a small company, hence no strong HR Team.

Also, where possible report him to other male folk within the apartment. This is so that you have witnesses to show you have complained. If you want, also write a formal report of complaints to your boss and keep a copy.

And if he doesn't stop, tell him you will file a complaint to the police. Where possible avoid all manner of mundane and trivial gist with him. Keep your conversations and association formal.

Keep evidence of all his behaviors. You might need it. Where possible send him warnings via text messages and keep those too. Next time he does that put your phone camera on video record and make a video. Don't worry about if it is clear or if you got a perfect shot. Just make a video/videos of you warning him sternly about his harrasament and how you don't fancy it.

Harassers usually feel victims are playing hard to get. Generally for women they are usually harrassed by their Seniors. For men they are harassed both by their bosses and juniors as a matter of fact.

Where it is not conducive you might need to leave the job. It is better than living with the horrors and trauma of rape. The Nigerian hypocritical and patriarchal society is unforgiving to women assaulted. If you follow the trend, it is common for Nigerian men to lie and say the lady agreed to have sex for a specified amount and that when they didn't pay the woman decided to claim rape. He will even claim he has been dating you.

Finally it moves to cognitive dissonance where they blame "the Devil" or blame the "thing that came over them" and how "they usually don't act like this" and how they don't know what came over them and how it seems it is a spirit. Shameful cognitive dissonance where we commit a crime due to LUST, HATRED, GREED, ANGER, ENVY, JEALOUSY etc. and then we blame an evil spirit.

At the end people will say why didn't you speak up. Why didn't you leave. Etc. So, be careful and speak out. Don't ever assume you are overreacting. Put a stop to it otherwise he will get bolder. Eventually if it gets bad, you may have to decide if it is worth your continued stay of if you should leave. No one can make that decision for you

8 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Sep 18, 2023
The sad thing is that this your randy boss may be here to condemn such act with every anger in him and even profer the best solution and steps to take, that's the hypocritical world we live in.

All of them are saint and very upright online yet we keep seeing underage girls getting pregnant everyday and all sorts of sexual harassment everywhere, maybe it's ghosts that are doing all these rubbish

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by amalgram69: 1:54pm On Sep 18, 2023
This is for the ladies. Lemme listen. cheesy
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by money121(m): 1:56pm On Sep 18, 2023
Ok
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Jackson619007: 1:57pm On Sep 18, 2023
🤷🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by KingLennon(m): 1:59pm On Sep 18, 2023
Check your dressing. Flies dey always follow mango sad. A man who brings firewood infested with maggots into his house, should not complain when lizards starts to pay him a visit

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Greenfaces: 1:59pm On Sep 18, 2023
For only women right
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Jackiedemie(m): 1:59pm On Sep 18, 2023
Hmmm, a corps member complain to me that he was sexually assaulted by his HR ( who is a female) simply because he politely turn her advances down stated that he can date a lady that's older than him ...

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is A Surgeon's/doctor's Salary Like In Nigeria Compared To The U.S.? / Breaking: Verification And Payment Of Defunct Airways Staff Kano. Pics / Employees Without An Exit Plan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.