Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,207 members, 7,829,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? (12758 Views)

Female Soldier, Ruth Ogunleye Arrested After Complaining About Sexual Harassment / How Do I Deal With Sexual Harassment From A Colleague? / Rocks Quest FM/TV Presenters Sacked Over Sexual Harassment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Greenfaces: 3:22pm On Sep 18, 2023
ShoeWorld1:
Even if someone is dirty, he will no longer have the urge of fvcking someone doing disgusting things.
Lol. Dey play
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by OvertheTop(m): 3:25pm On Sep 18, 2023
sunsweet33:
My office hired a new manager and as I was standing by the side doing something he came up behind me put his hand on my lower back/waist and asked “how are you doing”. At that moment all my usual fire went out of the window and I just froze up. Actually there were 3 other senior staff around who must have seen it and warned him because thereafter, he only tapped my shoulder or shoulder blades (which I dont have any problem with).

Now a couple of days ago I had my hands full again doing something and this man passed behind me, held both sides of my waist very briefly and brushed against my back.

the whole thing was over in less than 5 seconds and I didn’t even see the person until I turned my head to see him watching me from the other side of the office.

bearing in mind this is a senior boss, I don’t feel I can shout or confront as normal so I have just been giving some stern/cold attitudes and stepping out of the way in a more exaggerated way whenever he passes by me. And he has started reciprocating the awkwardness which made it easier for me.

But how realistic is this? In another thread somebody wrote that his brother tried to get his female colleagues fired for rejecting his advances and I fear something similar may happen to me.

Its so irritating. This guy says he has a girlfriend so why not go home and touch her? WTF.

oh ,u guys had a sweet chat initially.....

Is this why you are Angry?
Just Asking?
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by DWJOBScom(m): 3:26pm On Sep 18, 2023
Jeezuzpick:

That is not true.

Tell me you don't know that a lot of men are billy goats. They must not see a girl, wahala don start.

Don't mind that one
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by usmolad(m): 3:27pm On Sep 18, 2023
IyaTola:
cheesy
Work Place Sexual Harassment is common and both ways, however women are statistically more on the receiving end than the giving end. Consequently, even as common as it is, it places a lot of emotional and psychological stress on the Victim. This is because it is just a step away from rape/sexual assault.

Do not assume you are overreacting. Report him immediately to your boss. Escalate it. He is already stalking you by touching your waist already. Perhaps creeping and peeping and listening.

Tell him you will report him to your boss. Tell your boss that you are doing so because it is the right thing to do in such a circumstance. The reason for reporting to your boss is not only because you want him cautioned. It is also because from an Occupational Health, Safety and Well-being perspective, it is simply the procedure to follow and the thing to do. Tell your boss to call a chat with you both and complain further. I am assuming it is a small company, hence no strong HR Team.

Also, where possible report him to other male folk within the apartment. This is so that you have witnesses to show you have complained. If you want, also write a formal report of complaints to your boss and keep a copy.

And if he doesn't stop, tell him you will file a complaint to the police. Where possible avoid all manner of mundane and trivial gist with him. Keep your conversations and association formal.

Keep evidence of all his behaviors. You might need it. Where possible send him warnings via text messages and keep those too. Next time he does that put your phone camera on video record and make a video. Don't worry about if it is clear or if you got a perfect shot. Just make a video/videos of you warning him sternly about his harrasament and how you don't fancy it.

Harassers usually feel victims are playing hard to get. Generally for women they are usually harrassed by their Seniors. For men they are harassed both by their bosses and juniors as a matter of fact.

Where it is not conducive you might need to leave the job. It is better than living with the horrors and trauma of rape. The Nigerian hypocritical and patriarchal society is unforgiving to women assaulted. If you follow the trend, it is common for Nigerian men to lie and say the lady agreed to have sex for a specified amount and that when they didn't pay the woman decided to claim rape. He will even claim he has been dating you.

Finally it moves to cognitive dissonance where they blame "the Devil" or blame the "thing that came over them" and how "they usually don't act like this" and how they don't know what came over them and how it seems it is a spirit. Shameful cognitive dissonance where we commit a crime due to LUST, HATRED, GREED, ANGER, ENVY, JEALOUSY etc. and then we blame an evil spirit.

At the end people will say why didn't you speak up. Why didn't you leave. Etc. So, be careful and speak out. Don't ever assume you are overreacting. Put a stop to it otherwise he will get bolder. Eventually if it gets bad, you may have to decide if it is worth your continued stay of if you should leave. No one can make that decision for you
Thank you chatgpt
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by franksam209: 3:38pm On Sep 18, 2023
sunsweet33:
My office hired a new managing
Its so irritating. This guy says he has a girlfriend so why not go home and touch her? WTF.
similar thing happened to a close relative of mine, and she found a way to report to the CEOs wife, na there church close, the woman bought the case and followed up back to back, the manager had to come to the house with his pregnant wife and some office friends to beg,, a man earning over 500k monthly in this hard time and was joking with it all because of yarsh.

I would advice you not to threaten him, allow him continue with his foolishness, just try gather evidence against him, then go to someone higher than him or send a mail to the board or CEO, and you do be surprised how they will buy the market

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Watinhapen(m): 3:39pm On Sep 18, 2023
When you’re always been sexually molested or sexually harassed at work by men, you need to look inward. Look at the way you dress. Do you dress very attractive and seductive? I entered a bank one day, if you see the tight and short skirt that one of the girls was wearing, it was just too seductive for an office wear. Also, how do you carry yourself at work? There are some girls that are sexually attractive to men. You need to try to reduce your sex appeal. Mind what you wear to work, how you make up, and how you carry yourself at work.
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by OZIOGU1: 3:40pm On Sep 18, 2023
In my office SH is sackable offence, so both male and female they respect themselves, who wan lose his/her work? for country wey dey catch fire like this?

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by franksam209: 3:48pm On Sep 18, 2023
Watinhapen:
When you’re always been sexually molested or sexually harassed at work by men, you need to look inward. Look at the way you dress. Do you dress very attractive and seductive? I entered a bank one day, if you see the tight and short skirt that one of the girls was wearing, it was just too seductive for an office wear. Also, how do you carry yourself at work? There are some girls that are sexually attractive to men. You need to try to reduce your sex appeal. Mind what you wear to work, how you make up, and how you carry yourself at work.

how she chooses to dress doesn't concern you, even if she's naked, that doesn't give you the right to touch her without her permission, if anyone should try such with my sis, aswearugawd I will strangle that individual within minutes

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by OvertheTop(m): 3:55pm On Sep 18, 2023
franksam209:
how she chooses to dress doesn't concern you, even if she's naked, that doesn't give you the right to touch her without her permission, if anyone should try such with my sis, aswearugawd I will strangle that individual with minutes

shocked
Bros, Learn to Control your Temper.
Now, from your Action, what do you think will Happen Next? Perhaps a Jail term for Murder.
When In Jail, What will you then Do if this problem repeats itself?

The best is to Report the matter appropriately. Never Get Angry uncontrollably and sacrifice yourself

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by SaintUlot: 3:56pm On Sep 18, 2023
sunsweet33:
My office hired a new manager and as I was standing by the side doing something he came up behind me put his hand on my lower back/waist and asked “how are you doing”. At that moment all my usual fire went out of the window and I just froze up. Actually there were 3 other senior staff around who must have seen it and warned him because thereafter, he only tapped my shoulder or shoulder blades (which I dont have any problem with).

Now a couple of days ago I had my hands full again doing something and this man passed behind me, held both sides of my waist very briefly and brushed against my back.

the whole thing was over in less than 5 seconds and I didn’t even see the person until I turned my head to see him watching me from the other side of the office.

bearing in mind this is a senior boss, I don’t feel I can shout or confront as normal so I have just been giving some stern/cold attitudes and stepping out of the way in a more exaggerated way whenever he passes by me. And he has started reciprocating the awkwardness which made it easier for me.

But how realistic is this? In another thread somebody wrote that his brother tried to get his female colleagues fired for rejecting his advances and I fear something similar may happen to me.

Next time he tries that with you, give him a stern warning immediately, never to touch you inappropriately or harass you sexually again,make sure your voice is loud and make sure you do that while recording him on camera, record him while dishing out the stern warning to him, then make an official report to your organisation management thereafter, don't delay. State all the number of times he has harrassed you sexually in the office in the past and the last one, make sure you quote date and time each harassment took place.

You will need that video evidence for your defence in your report against him. Make sure you record and warn him immediately after the next harassment, let your phone be with you at that time. He won't expect that your action and countenance of guilt will be written all over him, that's what you need as an evidence to show you are not framing him up.

Let your voice be loud, so that he can feel embarrassed and other staff will also hear your voice. You are both employees in the organisation, even though he is your boss, don't let him intimidate you @ all.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Dshocker(m): 4:11pm On Sep 18, 2023
sunsweet33:

Resign? At my previous place, the manager did this same thing to me and another lady and the worst part was that he still continued even as his wife was heavily pregnant. He would miss morning session to attend his wife’s antenatals then come and disturb us…does it make sense?

I eventually lost my temper and exploded over another issue, he took offence and submitted my name for transfer with so much embarrassment which I rejected and left the job, only to enter this new snake pit again…make una help me o..where am I resigning and running to again

Seems you are well endowed 😂
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by chccho(m): 4:26pm On Sep 18, 2023
sunsweet33:

Here's what to do,
Firstly, Write an anonymous note stating exactly he has done and your displeasure in all of this. Make it CLEAR that u will not hesitate to escalate matters.
Make sure to gather enough evidence.
If after the first warning he doesn't desist, write another warning note and this time inform a colleague or 2.
If he won't still desist u have no choice than to escalate to higher authorities after which u must have gathered solid evidences against him.... Shalom
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by seniorgozman(m): 4:54pm On Sep 18, 2023
Arrange with an army man to be visiting you at the office occasionally. It will send a very good signal to the man

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by seniorgozman(m): 5:01pm On Sep 18, 2023
Watinhapen:

I wonder how what women wear turn guys on. There is nothing special in their body system.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by writeprof(m): 5:03pm On Sep 18, 2023
sunsweet33:

Resign? At my previous place, the manager did this same thing to me and another lady and the worst part was that he still continued even as his wife was heavily pregnant. He would miss morning session to attend his wife’s antenatals then come and disturb us…does it make sense?

I eventually lost my temper and exploded over another issue, he took offence and submitted my name for transfer with so much embarrassment which I rejected and left the job, only to enter this new snake pit again…make una help me o..where am I resigning and running to again

If your story is true, then I believe you need to be prayerful. Don't you think it's strange and weird for a person you never knew from anywhere just resumed as your boss, the next thing, he is getting this close to you.
How do you present or carry yourself? How do you dress? How do you talk? I mean in the office among your colleagues. Are there no other females there? Is this how he harasses them?

You said you left or lost a previous job due to similar harassment? My sister, you need to take out time to ask yourself some questions. This could be a spiritual problem which you need to deal with. Do you have any relationship with God? Shalom!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Atolu01: 5:46pm On Sep 18, 2023
Brandish a Knife. Or not.
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Allwility: 6:17pm On Sep 18, 2023
I don't know why people allow weak people to keep oppressing them. Any man that harasses a woman is weak. Them no too get power like that.

Here's what you do. Quietly give him a stern warning. No threats....just a warning...the old style. Something that goes like this..."nice fingers you got there....the next time they touch me you will lose them". Say it quietly, with a smile, and keep a dead cold eye.

If he persists, clear his doubt.
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by quickly: 6:51pm On Sep 18, 2023
sunsweet33:

Once a subordinate woman enter man eye and maybe she get big Yansh. The guy is seduced already. E wan nack

I think you can be firm next time and be annoyed if he touches you.

Tell him you are in a relationship or something.

If he persists find another job

Do you have HR in your company. Seek opinion or talk to another female coworker see what they say.

If it was in the West that guy will be shaking if you confront him but as na naija anyway goes.
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by quickly: 6:54pm On Sep 18, 2023
writeprof:

If your story is true, then I believe you need to be prayerful. Don't you think it's strange and weird for a person you never knew from anywhere just resumed as your boss, the next thing, he is getting this close to you.
How do you present or carry yourself? How do you dress? How do you talk? I mean in the office among your colleagues. Are there no other females there? Is this how he harasses them?

You said you left or lost a previous job due to similar harassment? My sister, you need to take out time to ask yourself some questions. This could be a spiritual problem which you need to deal with. Do you have any relationship with God? Shalom!

I had a coworker initially she wore loose and decent clothing.

All of a sudden she start wearing tight clothees and she gather for front and back.

I told her to change her style of clothing she refused saying her husband doesn’t mind.

I said ok then stop complaining that men are ogling your breasts.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Aipromoter: 7:01pm On Sep 18, 2023
sunsweet33:

Since he's your senior colleague, talk with him with respect that you are not in for that. Meanwhile, you can just give him normal colleague to colleague smile. That's all. Don't be rude oo so that he don't get your job terminated since he's the manager

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Mypeople2(m): 7:55pm On Sep 18, 2023
Anytime he touches you, shout, scream, use your slippers, books to hit him and show that you dont like it.Dont keep quiet if not he will continue to touch you , even he will touch everywhere thinking that you like it , silence is consent .So speak up, scream oooo

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Chris8t(m): 8:38pm On Sep 18, 2023
She is supposed to go to work with knife and if he doesn't want to keep his hands to him self. Ask him to remove his trouser then cut his dick off. Thank me later.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Zardex(m): 10:05pm On Sep 18, 2023
Scream and report him to your senior bosses above him
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by toluleke(m): 10:10pm On Sep 18, 2023
iamtardey:
Sexual harassment? Just resign cos it never stops…or. Stand up to him let him know your kind, I’m afraid you will have to kip doing that till further notice tho cos it never stops. And yes it’s most likely go that way one of you or him has to be made scapegoat…. The odds are against you but… your ball
everything run. Fight it stand your ground never ever run from any situation
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Fiscus105(m): 6:30am On Sep 19, 2023
OvertheTop:

shocked
Bros, Learn to Control your Temper.
Now, from your Action, what do you think will Happen Next? Perhaps a Jail term for Murder.
When In Jail, What will you then Do if this problem repeats itself?

The best is to Report the matter appropriately. Never Get Angry uncontrollably and sacrifice yourself

U dnt need to reply a mad man looking for attention on faceless forum,...... immediately I read how she dresses not concerned you..... I moved to next post.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by Fiscus105(m): 6:37am On Sep 19, 2023
writeprof:

Even if it's spiritual, it will be just 10%,. She herself contribute alot towards it

I'm very sure, she dresses seductively

Maybe she's type that ask oga for lunch money and every other urgent 2k

She might a type who play/flirt alot with opposite gender.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by kingsamoo1: 10:27am On Sep 19, 2023
Kai,

Bros you wicked o

Very funny though
ShoeWorld1:
From what I read up there, you're the one seducing your Co-workers.
Must you always bend your waist like a mason turning cement whenever the manager is approaching
And I know you always put on skirts and gowns that are above the knee and tight to show your shapes.

Anyways to answer your question irrespective of your seduction.

You'll start behaving abnormally whenever you're with sex predators. Start doing something disgusting like picking your nose and tasting it lipsrsealed
You can also pollute when alone with him and believe me, that perfect picture he has about fvcking your cunt hard will disappear with immediate alacrity.
You can also feel free to tell him that you want to go and poo grin

I have never heard that someone got fired for doing any of the above things.
And there are more I would like to add but I don't want to write too much.
Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by drnoel: 10:29am On Sep 19, 2023
ShoeWorld1:
Must you always bend your waist like a mason turning cement whenever the manager is approaching
And I know you always put on skirts and gowns that are above the knee and tight to show your shapes.

You'll start behaving abnormally whenever you're with sex predators. Start doing something disgusting like picking your nose and tasting it lipsrsealed
You can also pollute when alone with him and believe me, that perfect picture he has about fvcking your cunt hard will disappear with immediate alacrity.

U can't put the blame on her. That's irrelevant. Give advice without bringing in your archaic mindset

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Deal With Sexual Harassment At Work? by WayStage(m): 2:33pm On Dec 17, 2023
ShoeWorld1:

grin wayray Pro max... I swear you b legend in the making.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking: Verification And Payment Of Defunct Airways Staff Kano. Pics / IGP Promotes 82,779 Junior Police Officers / Wema Bank Appoints Ademola Adebise As New Ceo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.