Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,283 members, 7,818,959 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government (5268 Views)

Jonathan Government Used Bullion Vans To Move N67.2bn From CBN (Throwback] / Jonathan's Government Offered Us 100 Billion, Buhari Should Honor It - Herdsmen / Buhari Leading A Protest During Goodluck Jonathan's Government (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by Deadlytruth(m): 11:45pm On Sep 19, 2023
killsmith:

Awolowo introduced Tribalism into Nigerian politics in 1951 when zik contested in Lagos.
Zik had as far back as 1949 introduced tribalism into Nigerian politics by declaring that the gods of Igbo land had destined Igbos to rule over Nigeria. In 1944, another Igbo man, Charles Onyema, had said that 'from the look of things back then, it was becoming clearer by the day that Igbo domination of Nigeria was only a question of time'

3 Likes

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by LOVEALAIGBO: 12:38am On Sep 20, 2023
Deadlytruth:

Zik had as far back as 1949 introduced tribalism into Nigerian politics by declaring that the gods of Igbo land had destined Igbos to rule over Nigeria. In 1944, another Igbo man, Charles Onyema, had said that 'from the look of things back then, it was becoming clearer by the day that Igbo domination of Nigeria was only a question of time'

Can you provide links to buttress your assertions? Let's see in what context said quotes were made....and while at it we can also see if they planned to achieve said 'aims' through murder and plunder!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by Eastlink(m): 3:35am On Sep 20, 2023
Deadlytruth:

I am not Yoruba. However, all Aguiyi Ironsi's appointed advisers were Igbos, e.g. Nwabueze, Pius Nwokedi, etc. And mind you that he purposely Igbonized it because he knew that his decision to dismantle federalism in pursuit of Igbo domination agenda would not see the light of the day if put to vote through a pan-Nigerian pool of advisers.
My history in Nairaland has taught me that when someone starts with the word “I’m not Yoruba”, “I’m not Igbo”, “I’m not Hausa”, without being asked, then you shouldn't look further. You're Yoruba and should be proud of it.

Second, you listed purported names of Aguiyi Irosni aids. Ben Nwabueze was brought in with the task to help Ironsi draft a couple of new decrees. Ironsi despite his ill-fated decree and failure to prosecute the January 1966 coup plotters, shared his appointment accordingly. Gowon, Wey, Fajuyi, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor, Ojukwu were appointed by him. Out of the 9 members of the Supreme Military Council (SMC), only one was Igbo (Ojukwu).

See link below
https://hallmarknews.com/ironsi-nigerias-most-patriotic-nationalistic-leader-ever/

However, I’ll love to see your proof of Aguiyi Ironsi appointment so we can verify your claim. Mind you, I already have proof of Aguiyi Ironsi’s appointment as HOS. But I want you to proof of how Aguiyi Ironsi Igbonized Nigeria under his short military rule? How he appointed only names like Nwabueze, Pius Nwokedi etc in his government. We are here to learn.

I hope you're willing to learn as I’m?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by Eastlink(m): 4:37am On Sep 20, 2023
Deadlytruth:

Awolowo's coup was in retaliation for the executive coup hatched and carried out by the duo of Balewa and Azikiwe by which they suddenly reinstated Akintola, their SWern stooge without an election as dictated by the Western Region constitution.
Point noted. But let me burst your bubble. I’ll agree if you accuse Balewa of the electoral coup that made Akintola win over Awolowo in the Western Regional elections. But adding Zik to that mix is fallacy. My only grouse with Zik, was his inability to resign from that government and perhaps, take his NCNC with him and join Awolowo in opposition. See my reasons below why Zik shouldn’t be held accountable for Balewa NPC and Akintola’s actions.

1. Balewa was the head of government not Azikiwe. Zik’s role as President was ceremonial. Balewa controlled the Police, Army, Electoral Commission (ECN), Parliament, Judiciary and all facet of government. It was Balewa who declared a state of emergency in the west and not Zik. It was Balewa who sent the soldiers to the west. It was Balewa who levied trump up charges of treason with willing testifiers from Akintola’s camp and used Justice Majekodumi to send Awolowo, Jakande, Ikoku and others to jail.
See proof below
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/07/balewa-declared-state-emergency-west-1962/amp/

http://community.vanguardngr.com/forum/topics/the-crisis-that-truncated-the-first-republic

https://dailytrust.com/s-l-akintola-his-life-and-lessons-for-today-i/

2. The area where Zik might have allied with Balewa’s NPC was in the sharing of government positions. Additionally, he also allied with Balewa in the push for referendum in the mid-West. Balewa supported that mid-west referendum due to Awolowo’s sponsorship and backing of Joseph Tarka Tiv riot and proposed Middle-belt region. While it was always Ziks dream to have the Igbo speaking section of the Western region to the East, it was also Awolowo’s dream to have areas like Ilorin and Kabba to the west. If difficult to achieve, then the game was to push for referendum or seccession from their parent region and join other minorities in a new region. Both Zik and Awolowo played this card in the first republic. Balewa on the other hand seeing Awolowo’s backing of Tarka, supported the mid-west referendum in response to Awolowo’s move in the North central. He later sponsored the Adaka Boro’s uprising and Alfred Biriye’s Niger-Delta Congress (NDC) shenanigan in the East just as he did with Akintola in the west. But Biriye’s NDC had less seats in government and failed to get the needed pro-NCNC Ijaw support in the east like it happened with Akintola in the west.

See link below
https://punchng.com/northern-nigeria-encouraged-isaac-boros-12-day-revolution-brother-david/?amp

https://guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/c104-sunday-magazine/ahead-march-28-arewa-s-debt-to-biriye/amp/

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/04/senate-asks-fg-to-retain-the-name-harold-dappa-biriye-house-in-new-nddc-head-office/amp/

3. Akintola in fairness was first in good terms with the east but later became heavily pro-north to safeguard his interest. Infact, he first allied with a faction of the NCNC to form the UPP with another NCNC faction allying with the the AG. Later, Akintola seeing the snowballing issue with Awolowo decided to move his tenth to NPC where the party formed an alliance called the NNDP in preparation for the 1964 elections.

Akintola after joining the NPC alliance began an anti-east shenanigan. His infamous “Yoruba Ronu” speech in Ibadan was a pointer to the political alliance he wanted the west to have with the north. And the only way to achieve this was to paint the Igbo black while extol the north. While Akintola was uprooting Awolowo’s AG from the West with the help of Balewa, he was also setting the stage for conflict with Zik’s NCNC.

4. Akintola was an ally to Balewa and spoke good about him. In fact, the northern NPC saw him as a willing ally in the south to replace the likes of Zik who was gradually abandoning his alliance with the north and forming an alliance with Awolowo’s AG prior to the 1964 general elections.
See proof of Akintola alliance with Balewa.
https://guardian.ng/opinion/balewa-and-a-christmas-to-remember/amp/

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2012/03/was-the-awoakintola-feud-senseless/amp/

So to clear your point, Zik had no hand in Awolowo’s ordeal nor the post election conflict in the Western region.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by horsepower102: 6:37am On Sep 20, 2023
Bump
Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by JAMO84: 6:38am On Sep 20, 2023
YourRealFather:
While under Tinubu's Government we have

1) COAS (Army)-Yoruba.
2) IGP (Police)- Yoruba.
3) Immigration Boss -Yoruba.
4) Customs Comptroller - Yoruba.
5) CBN Governor - Yoruba.
6) Finance Minister - Yoruba.
7) Attorney General- Yoruba.
8 ) Accountant General- Yoruba.
9) Minister of Digital Economy- Yoruba.
10) Maritime Economy Minister - Yoruba.
11) FIRS Boss -Yoruba.
12) NIMC Boss -Yoruba.
13) Minister of Solid Minerals -Yoruba.
14) EFCC Boss - Yoruba
15) Petroleum Minister- Tinubu
16) Chairman Tax Reforms Committee -Yoruba
17) Head of service of the federation-Yoruba
18) Chief of Staffs- Yoruba
19) Minister of Justice-Yoruba
20) Minister of Power-Yoruba
21) Minister of Transportation-Yoruba

grin grin grin
Chief of naval staff - Yoruba
Minister of works - Yoruba
FCT - Yoruba
NNPC GMD - Yoruba
Senate President - Yoruba
Foreign Affairs - Yoruba
Chief of Army staff- Yoruba
Trade and Investment Yoruba
Budget - Yoruba
Speaker Yoruba
Defense - Yoruba.......

BIG CLOWN

4 Likes

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by VinnyBaba: 7:25am On Sep 20, 2023
Eastlink:
Point noted. But let me burst your bubble. I’ll agree if you accuse Balewa of the electoral coup that made Akintola win over Awolowo in the Western Regional elections. But adding Zik to that mix is fallacy. My only grouse with Zik, was his inability to resign from that government and perhaps, take his NCNC with him and join Awolowo in opposition. See my reasons below why Zik shouldn’t be held accountable for Balewa NPC and Akintola’s actions.

1. Balewa was the head of government not Azikiwe. Zik’s role as President was ceremonial. Balewa controlled the Police, Army, Electoral Commission (ECN), Parliament, Judiciary and all facet of government. It was Balewa who declared a state of emergency in the west and not Zik. It was Balewa who sent the soldiers to the west. It was Balewa who levied trump up charges of treason with willing testifiers from Akintola’s camp and used Justice Majekodumi to send Awolowo, Jakande, Ikoku and others to jail.
See proof below
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/07/balewa-declared-state-emergency-west-1962/amp/

http://community.vanguardngr.com/forum/topics/the-crisis-that-truncated-the-first-republic

2. The area where Zik might have allied with Balewa’s NPC was in the sharing of government positions. Additionally, he also allied with Balewa in the push for referendum in the mid-West. Balewa supported that mid-west referendum due to Awolowo’s sponsorship and backing of Joseph Tarka Tiv riot and proposed Middle-belt region. While it was always Ziks dream to have the Igbo speaking section of the Western region to the East, it was also Awolowo’s dream to have areas like Ilorin and Kabba to the west. If difficult to achieve, then the game was to push for referendum or seccession from their parent region and join other minorities in a new region. Both Zik and Awolowo played this card in the first republic. Balewa on the other hand seeing Awolowo’s backing of Tarka, supported the mid-west referendum in response to Awolowo’s move in the North central. He later sponsored the Adaka Boro’s uprising and Alfred Biriye’s Niger-Delta Congress (NDC) shenanigan in the East just as he did with Akintola in the west. But Biriye’s NDC had less seats in government and failed to get the needed pro-NCNC Ijaw support in the east like it happened with Akintola in the west.

See link below
https://punchng.com/northern-nigeria-encouraged-isaac-boros-12-day-revolution-brother-david/?amp

https://guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/c104-sunday-magazine/ahead-march-28-arewa-s-debt-to-biriye/amp/

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2022/04/senate-asks-fg-to-retain-the-name-harold-dappa-biriye-house-in-new-nddc-head-office/amp/

3. Akintola in fairness was first in good terms with the east but later became heavily pro-north to safeguard his interest. Infact, he first allied with a faction of the NCNC to form the UPP with another NCNC faction allying with the the AG. Later, Akintola seeing the snowballing issue with Awolowo decided to move his tenth to NPC where the party formed an alliance called the NNDP in preparation for the 1964 elections.

Akintola after joining the NPC alliance began an anti-east shenanigan. His infamous “Yoruba Ronu” speech in Ibadan was a pointer to the political alliance he wanted the west to have with the north. And the only way to achieve this was to paint the Igbo black while extol the north. While Akintola was uprooting Awolowo’s AG from the West with the help of Balewa, he was also setting the stage for conflict with Zik’s NCNC.

4. Akintola was an ally to Balewa and spoke good about him. In fact, the northern NPC saw him as a willing ally in the south to replace the likes of Zik who was gradually abandoning his alliance with the north and forming an alliance with Awolowo’s AG prior to the 1964 general elections.

So to clear your point, Zik had no hand in Awolowo’s ordeal nor the post election conflict in the Western region.

How can anyone Drag Nnamdi Azikiwe into the Squabble b/w Awo and Akintola? 😕😕🤦

4 Likes

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by kingi777: 7:41am On Sep 20, 2023
JAMO84:
Chief of naval staff - Yoruba
Minister of works - Yoruba
FCT - Yoruba
NNPC GMD - Yoruba
Senate President - Yoruba
Foreign Affairs - Yoruba
Chief of Army staff- Yoruba
Trade and Investment Yoruba
Budget - Yoruba
Speaker Yoruba
Defense - Yoruba.......

BIG CLOWN
Compare what the President gave to his people and to other Nigerians according to your sarcasm. These anomalies started from the immediate past government. Even the military era tried carrying all Nigerians along without this brazen nepotism.

1 Like

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by JAMO84: 9:48am On Sep 20, 2023
kingi777:

Compare what the President gave to his people and to other Nigerians according to your sarcasm. These anomalies started from the immediate past government. Even the military era tried carrying all Nigerians along without this brazen nepotism.
So if baba wey no well give una appointment, una go collect am

2 Likes

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by JAMO84: 9:48am On Sep 20, 2023
kingi777:

So if baba wey no well give una appointment, una go collect?
Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by horsepower102: 9:55am On Sep 20, 2023
I will bump this thread in perpetuity.

3 Likes

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by Igboid: 10:09am On Sep 20, 2023
History of Nigeria will be kind to Igbos, posterity will vindicate Ndiigbo.

8 Likes

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by YourRealFather: 11:07am On Sep 20, 2023
Eastlink:
My history in Nairaland has taught me that when someone starts with the word “I’m not Yoruba”, “I’m not Igbo”, “I’m not Hausa”, without being asked, then you shouldn't look further. You're Yoruba and should be proud of it.

Second, you listed purported names of Aguiyi Irosni aids. Ben Nwabueze was brought in with the task to help Ironsi draft a couple of new decrees. Ironsi despite his ill-fated decree and failure to prosecute the January 1966 coup plotters, shared his appointment accordingly. Gowon, Wey, Fajuyi, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor, Ojukwu were appointed by him. Out of the 9 members of the Supreme Military Council (SMC), only one was Igbo (Ojukwu).

See link below
https://hallmarknews.com/ironsi-nigerias-most-patriotic-nationalistic-leader-ever/

However, I’ll love to see your proof of Aguiyi Ironsi appointment so we can verify your claim. Mind you, I already have proof of Aguiyi Ironsi’s appointment as HOS. But I want you to proof of how Aguiyi Ironsi Igbonized Nigeria under his short military rule? How he appointed only names like Nwabueze, Pius Nwokedi etc in his government. We are here to learn.

I hope you're willing to learn as I’m?

You go old for here,
If you are waiting for that guy to give you proof grin grin grin
We know them for this forum grin grin grin

Besides nobody care much about special advisers, you can appoint your uncle, in-laws cousins, nobody cares,

But when it comes to chiefs of Security, Head of economic team, Judiciary, and other ministries that's a different ball game

3 Likes

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by YourRealFather: 11:14am On Sep 20, 2023
kingi777:

You don't have to reply everybody
I was expecting him to counter the list, but the clown just turn to over night commedian

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by Eastlink(m): 12:36pm On Sep 20, 2023
Igboid:
History of Nigeria will be kind to Igbos, posterity will vindicate Ndiigbo.
Pure gospel.
Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by Eastlink(m): 12:36pm On Sep 20, 2023
horsepower102:
I will bump this thread in perpetuity.
I trust you.
Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by CaptainAyub: 12:48pm On Sep 20, 2023
Eastlink:
Easy with the foul language. To be fair to the South-West they didn’t get any top 10 appointment beside the military and paramilitary positions. The North-West actually got large share of positions in Goodluck Jonathan’s government. Perhaps, some neutral tend to blame Tinubu for the shenanigan in the House of Reps where he sponsored Tambuwal against Mulikat Akande to the Speakership position. But even at that, Jonathan should have still find ways to compensate them especially the PDP faithfuls with perhaps another position where external hands can’t influence, something he didn’t do.

Even the North East didn’t get top position besides the military appointment. Perhaps, that was why some politicians decided to use Boko-Haram and the Chibok girls kidnap to make Goodluck Jonathan’s government ungovernable.
Who was responsible for the south west not getting top 10 position?
Was it not yoruba reps that conspired to dash Speaker HOR to Tambuwal when GEJ and PDP nominated Mulikat Adeola Akande for the position?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by Eastlink(m): 12:58pm On Sep 20, 2023
VinnyBaba:

How can anyone Drag Nnamdi Azikiwe into the Squabble b/w Awo and Akintola? 😕😕🤦
Most people think that Azikiwe NCNC and Awolowo AG are mortal enemies. But they aren't. Both only had trust issues with themselves since the division of the Eastern and Western region from the southern protectorate all thanks to the British. And I blame Azikiwe for that. He was a leader in his own right and successor to Herbert Macaulay nationalist NNDP. However as one who once founded and led the Lagos Youth Movement, Herbert Macaulay took Azikiwe as a son and bequeated him the NNDP platform to destroy the British divide and rule shenanigans and lead the fight for independence. Nigeria would have gotten independence in the 1940’s had Azikiwe used the NYM as a true militant wing. But he was scared for his life and allowed the British to introduce stupid constitutions that created 2 regions out of the southern protectorate while leave the north intact. The British also had to rope him to an alleged corruption issue in a bank owned by him. Zik would have become our own Nkrumah.

Azikiwe began to lose grip of leadership once that division was set in motion and that was when the likes of Awolowo, Ikoli, Davis, Ikoku etc left his camp. Awolowo saw the opportunity in a platter of Gold to exact his influence in the Western region and took it. This was an Awolowo who saw Azikiwe as a role model and was once mentored by Zik in the NYM.

Azikiwe also preferred to wait for the north to be ready for self-rule than follow Awolowo’s advice to just bargain with the British so the south can be given independence while the north remains with colonial rule. This also delayed indepence in the 1950’s.

After independence in 1960, Awolowo despite his fallout with Azikiwe in the Western regional election, still respected him and was willing to form an alliance so the north can be checkmated. Despite the plan by the NPC to ally with Awolowo AG, he still remained with the opposition. Akintola on the other hand after Awolowo had relinquished his position as Premier of the West for him and moved to opposition role in the federal began to see his boss as too overbearing and not given him true freedom to Govern the Western region.

3 Likes

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by kayusely70(m): 1:09pm On Sep 20, 2023
Eastlink:
Easy with the foul language. To be fair to the South-West they didn’t get any top 10 appointment beside the military and paramilitary positions. The North-West actually got large share of positions in Goodluck Jonathan’s government. Perhaps, some neutral tend to blame Tinubu for the shenanigan in the House of Reps where he sponsored Tambuwal against Mulikat Akande to the Speakership position. But even at that, Jonathan should have still find ways to compensate them especially the PDP faithfuls with perhaps another position where external hands can’t influence, something he didn’t do.

Even the North East didn’t get top position besides the military appointment. Perhaps, that was why some politicians decided to use Boko-Haram and the Chibok girls kidnap to make Goodluck Jonathan’s government ungovernable.
You've spoken very well and reasonably too!!!!!!![color=#006600][/color]
Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by VinnyBaba: 1:11pm On Sep 20, 2023
Eastlink:
Most people think that Azikiwe NCNC and Awolowo AG are mortal enemies. But they aren't. Both only had trust issues with themselves since the division of the Eastern and Western region from the southern protectorate all thanks to the British. And I blame Azikiwe for that. He was a leader in his own right and successor to Herbert Macaulay nationalist NNPP. However as one who once founded and led the Lagos Youth Movement, Herbert Macaulay took him as a son and bequeated him the platform to destroy the British divide and rule shenanigans and lead the fight for independence. Nigeria would have gotten independence in the 1940’s had Azikiwe used the NYM as a true militant wing. But he was scared for his life and allowed the British to introduce stupid constitutions that created 2 regions out of the southern protectorate while leave the north intact. Azikiwe began to lose grip of leadership once that division was set in motion and that was when the likes of Awolowo, Ikoli, Davis, Ikoku etc left his camp. Awolowo saw the opportunity in a platter of Gold to exact his influence in the Western region and took it. This was an Awolow who saw Azikiwe as a role model and was once mentored by Zik in the NYM.

Awolowo despite his fallout with Azikiwe, still respected him and was willing to form an alliance so the north can be checkmated. Despite the plan by the NPC to ally with Awolowo AG, he still remained with the opposition. Akintola on the other hand after Awolowo had relinquished his position as Premier of the West for him and moved to opposition role in the federal began to see his boss as too overbearing and not given him true freedom to Govern the Western region.

Very TRUE.👍

Azikiwe and AWOLOWO NEVER had any Issues.

When Awolowo was Thrown in Jail by Akintola and Tafawa Balewa's NPC Goons,
It was The January 1966 Coup that Brought him out.🙂

Otherwise, Awolowo would have Completed that 10 years Jail Term and Maybe DIE.

He came out and NEVER Appreciated the Coup Plotters.
Instead, he Joined Gowon in the War and to Starved the IGBOS to Death.😟😢

That's where IGBOS hatred for Awolowo came From.😒

He was Ungrateful and MESSED up really. 😕😌

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by Eastlink(m): 1:24pm On Sep 20, 2023
VinnyBaba:

Very TRUE.👍

Azikiwe and AWOLOWO NEVER had any Issues.

When Awolowo was Thrown in Jail by Akintola and Tafawa Balewa's NPC Goons,
It was The January 1966 Coup that Brought him out.🙂

Otherwise, Awolowo would have Completed that 10 years Jail Term and Maybe DIE.

He came out and NEVER Appreciated the Coup Plotters.
Instead, he Joined Gowon in the War and to Starved the IGBOS to Death.😟😢

That's where IGBOS hatred for Awolowo came From.😒

He was Ungrateful and MESSED up really. 😕😌

Yeah, they related well in their closet. Feelers believe Awolowo planned that coup with support by some Igbo NCNC faction. But that's a story for another day. It was actually a chess game that worked. His serving his jail term in the east with the help of Zik who pleaded with Balewa to send him to prison in Calabar was a great move too as it kept him alive.

Aguiyi Ironsi squashing the coup failed the initial plan which was to release Awolowo. The plan of the coupist was to have a detribalized and noble person like Nzeogwu as Head of State, who would sanitize the system, introduce a stronger federalism, stop the division and bloodbath and conduct a fresh election. Ironsi had no business becoming head of state. The British made Ironsi Head of State and it was same British that used the northern soldiers to remove him all for their interest.

Perhaps, Awolowo was wrong to have joined Gowon. Maybe the situation at that time made him to pick a side he felt had a better chance of emerging victorious in the leadership crisis. Don't forget that Zik too liked Gowon who was more humble than Ojukwu. Zik felt he could influence Ojukwu but when baba showed him a stubborn side, he had to backtrack. The same thing happened with Gowon and Awolowo. Awo was able to influence Gowon during the war.

On the issue of Gowon’s inability to stop the killings of the Igbos in the north. I felt he was limited. The sole power lied in Murtala Mohammed hand who was backed by the northern elites and who was the true mastermind of the Ironsi overthrow.. Gowon was fortunate to be given leadership in similar fashion as Ironsi as he was the most senior northern officer.

1 Like

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by maestroferddi: 1:24pm On Sep 20, 2023
flokii:

Like I do say.. Igbos have ruled Nigeria during GEJ's tenure.
The dude literally sidelened his own people and allowed Igbos hijack his government.

There is a new twist that the man GEJ might actually be of Igbo roots but settled in Bayelsa.. that further explains the reason he neglected Bayelsa all through his 6 year tenure.

It's the time of Yorubas now.. Igbos should rest and restrategize instead of making unnecessary noise all over the place.
You ought to rise above this kind of pedestrian remark...

If you don't have anything reasonable to contribute, it would have been better to keep mum than just bleating away..

If you can think even at a fee, you would have realized that Tinubu's action will prove detrimental to Yoruba interests in the future.

Life is not all about the here and now.
We are enjoying Tinubu's crass indiscretions knowing that there will be serious consequences....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by Landlord97: 2:23pm On Sep 20, 2023
GOD bless you OP
Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by horsepower102: 3:57pm On Sep 20, 2023
Bump

1 Like

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by BrodaBenad: 6:24pm On Sep 20, 2023
Eastlink:
Yeah, they related well in their closet. Feelers believe Awolowo planned that coup with support by some Igbo NCNC faction. But that's a story for another day. It was actually a chess game that worked. His serving his jail term in the east with the help of Zik who pleaded with Balewa to send him to prison in Calabar was a great move too as it kept him alive.

Aguiyi Ironsi squashing the coup failed the initial plan which was to release Awolowo. The plan of the coupist was to have a detribalized and noble person like Nzeogwu as Head of State, who would sanitize the system, introduce a stronger federalism, stop the division and bloodbath and conduct a fresh election. Ironsi had no business becoming head of state. The British made Ironsi Head of State and it was same British that used the northern soldiers to remove him all for their interest.

Perhaps, Awolowo was wrong to have joined Gowon. Maybe the situation at that time made him to pick a side he felt had a better chance of emerging victorious in the leadership crisis. Don't forget that Zik too liked Gowon who was more humble than Ojukwu. Zik felt he could influence Ojukwu but when baba showed him a stubborn side, he had to backtrack. The same thing happened with Gowon and Awolowo. Awo was able to influence Gowon during the war.

On the issue of Gowon’s inability to stop the killings of the Igbos in the north. I felt he was limited. The sole power lied in Murtala Mohammed hand who was backed by the northern elites and who was the true mastermind of the Ironsi overthrow.. Gowon was fortunate to be given leadership in similar fashion as Ironsi as he was the most senior northern officer.

You're extremely knowledgeable about Nigeria history

Bless you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by Deadlytruth(m): 4:36pm On Sep 23, 2023
Eastlink:

See proof below

See link below

Thank God that even you yourself agree that Akintola had anti-East sentiments behind his battle against Awolowo. However, contrary to your insinuation, he didn't only come to develop that sentiment after he got accepted by the North finally. In fact it was his hatred for Igbos in general that inspired him to want to wrest AG's soul from Awolowo who was himself more disposed to taking AG into alliance with the Igbo NCNC. Zik was initially in passive support of Balewa against Awolowo because he had assumed that with the decapitation of AG in the Western Region, the next strongest party in the region (his NCNC) would automatically take over governance there and that explains why the Igbo members of the Western Region Assembly (all NCNC members) were all out in support of Akintola thinking he was working for NCNC not knowing that he had his own personal agenda which was to shake off NCNC and fully align the West with the North once Balewa finished caging Awolowo with Federal might.
Why do you think Michael Okpara later called on Zik and other NCNC leaders to begin to withdraw from the attempt to kill AG in the Western Region? Are people advised to backpedal from what they were never involved in?

1 Like

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by Uchek(m): 8:15am On Sep 24, 2023
So true!

SUPERPACK:
Don't mind them. They will count all south south appointments as igbos to spite the igbos. But when Ipob claims that south south is part of igboland they will all start saying it is not. That they are Niger Delta grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by Uchek(m): 8:17am On Sep 24, 2023
Why do you call them the most tribalistic tribe? Cam you share ur experience with them?

Thanks!

chiagozien:
The most tribalistic tribe in Nigeria.

I know them too well
Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by horsepower102: 3:37pm On Sep 26, 2023
Just a reminder for the propagandist
Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by horsepower102: 3:42pm On Sep 26, 2023
Notice how this very informative thread never made it to front page
Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by Eastlink(m): 4:12pm On Sep 27, 2023
horsepower102:
Notice how this very informative thread never made it to front page
Very unfortunate. Mods like Mynd44 and OAM4J its well.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Unmasking The Lies That Igbos Dominated Ex-President Jonathan’s Government by horsepower102: 2:51pm On Oct 12, 2023

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Financial Assistance: LASG Presents Cheques To 103 Indigent Residents / Imo State $4.2 Billion Gas Plant Set For Commissioning / FG - Boko Haram Dialogue: NOA Asks For Tolerance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.