Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,606 members, 7,812,987 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:39 AM

Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term (25005 Views)

Rwanda's President Paul Kagame Approves The Retirement Of 924 Military Officials / Rwanda's Paul Kagame Tried Hacking SA's Cyril Ramaphosa's Phone / Vladimir Putin Sworn In For 4th Term, Rides In New Russian-Made Limo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by adenigga(m): 10:58am On Sep 20, 2023
Rwandan President Paul Kagame has said for the first time that he plans to run for a fourth term in elections due to be held next year.

“Yes, I am indeed a candidate,” Kagame, who has ruled over the country with an iron fist for decades, told Jeune Afrique, a French-language news magazine, in an interview published online on Tuesday.

“I am pleased with the confidence that Rwandans have placed in me. I will always serve them, as long as I can,” the 65-year-old was quoted as saying.

The Rwandan government in March decided to synchronise the dates for its parliamentary and presidential elections, which are due to be held in August next year.

Kagame had previously not made his intentions clear but has presided over controversial constitutional amendments that allowed him to serve a third term.

A former rebel chief, Kagame has been regarded as the country’s de facto leader since the end of the 1994 genocide.

He won a third term in 2017, taking home nearly 99 percent of the votes.

AFP

Source: https://punchng.com/Rwandas-Kagame-says-he-will-run-for-fourth-term

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by SmartPolician: 11:00am On Sep 20, 2023
Which iron fist?

The people of Rwanda love that man and always say good things about him.

And Paul Kagame has been doing a great job in the country.

That's all that matters.

91 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by Christistruth00: 11:00am On Sep 20, 2023
He needs to remember how Gaddafi ended

100 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by wrongman665(m): 11:02am On Sep 20, 2023
Coup loading..... grin grin

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by Jackson619007: 11:04am On Sep 20, 2023
How does other countries problem solve our own??

The user's text is already academic in nature. Please feel free to reach out to me for assistance with your academic tasks and programming inquiries. You can find my WhatsApp contact information in the signature below.👇

5 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by seborrhic: 11:04am On Sep 20, 2023
After third term he would now get the parliament to amend the constitution to either limit term limits or even president for life.
These are some of the actions that fuel military coups in Africa,though the military guys that take over don't actually have plans to make the country and citizens better,they are just fuelled by the anger because they feel a small set of people have been enjoying their country's wealth and resources to the exclusion of another set of privileged individuals.

78 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by slivertongue: 11:06am On Sep 20, 2023
sit tight despot

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by festacman(m): 11:17am On Sep 20, 2023
SmartPolician:
Which iron fist?

That's all that matters.

Praise-singing, graveyard quietness and choreographed smiles are all deceitful hallmarks of dictatorship because behind the façade you see is an unhappy mentally-shackled people yearning for fresh air and freedom.

Look, the disadvantage of what Paul Kagame is doing is that for several years, everything will be about him and revolve around him so much that there will be no solid succession plan in place and the political class and the citizens will have poor democracy learning curves. Yes, there are physical developments but developmental mentality will be missing among the civil servants and citizens.

A dangerous lacuna is created and if Paul Kagame dropped dead today, everything he builds crumbles from infighting for power. It happened with Félix Houphouët-Boigny in Ivory Coast. It happened with Mohamed Siad Barre in Somalia. And if he succeeds in installing his son, the damage goes on and day of reckoning is merely postponed.

142 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by happney65: 11:19am On Sep 20, 2023
These people sha. Turning yourselves int dictators.

None of you ever did as much as Nelson Mandela did for any country. Man was locked up for 27 good years of his life because he fought the apartheid government of them south Africa.

He got out of prison, contested and became president,did a single term and decided that is all. He could have done another term but he wasn't interested any more

If he wanted to turn himself into a dictator he would because he spent all his life for the country but he never did

As any of you dictators ever did 1/3 of what Mandela did? You see, Kagame's good will is just being eroded by his dictatorial tendices

When the same people that hail him today,turn against him and tell him enough is enough,by then he will know better

87 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by inoki247: 11:20am On Sep 20, 2023
Eh eh Rwanda don enta am oh...

6 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by muykem: 11:23am On Sep 20, 2023
He has started his own. He will soon destroy every good thing he has done.

69 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by SmartPolician: 11:47am On Sep 20, 2023
festacman:

Praise-singing, graveyard quietness and choreographed smiles are all deceitful hallmarks of dictatorship because behind the façade you see is an unhappy mentally-shackled people yearning for fresh air and freedom.

Look, the disadvantage of what Paul Kagame is doing is that for several years, everything will be about him and revolve around him so much that there is not solid succession plan in place and the political class and the citizens have poor democracy learning curves. Yes, there are physical developments but developmental mentality will be missing among the civil servants and citizens.

A dangerous lacuna is created and if Paul Kagame dropped dead today, everything he builds crumbles from infighting for power. It happened in Ivory Coast. It happened in Somalia. And if he succeeds in installing his son, the damage goes on and day of reckoning is merely postponed.

First, people don't sing the praises of Paul Kagame. That country mirrors hope that a purely black African country can still make progress, because all facts show otherwise.

It's even interesting that Paul Kagame comes from a minority tribe and has successfully won elections several times. It tells you how mentally advanced those guys are.

I have lots of friends who have holidayed in Rwanda, and they all have good things to say about the country. Videos of Rwanda are all over the internet. You can see the progress a landlocked country that survived a genocide has made under one man who has big dreams for his country.

Compare that to North Korea where people are scared to talk about the Little Rocket Man because they fear for their precious lives. Mind you, Rwanda is not a communist country, so I don't know what you are writing about.

I don't support Paul Kagame being in power for a long time. However, nobody should cry more than the bereaved. Don't use what happened in other African countries as basis for what will happen in Rwanda.

Coming to if something happens to Kagame, na you wan kill am? Besides, for that country to have made progress - without tribal wars after the genocide - by allowing a man from the minority to rule them for this time, doesn't it tell you that those people don't think like the rest of us?

I tell people that most countries that don't work lack patriotic people. If you people are patrotic, there's nothing you cannot achieve as a people. This is a fact...

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by festacman(m): 12:05pm On Sep 20, 2023
SmartPolician:

First, people don't sing the praises of Paul Kagame. That country mirrors hope that a purely black African country can still make progress, because all facts show otherwise.

It's even interesting that Paul Kagame comes from a minority tribe and has successfully won elections several times. It tells you how mentally advanced those guys are.

I have lots of friends who have holidayed in Rwanda, and they all have good things to say about the country. Videos of Rwanda are all over the internet. You can see the progress a landlocked country that survived a genocide has made under one man who has big dreams for his country.

Compare that to North Korea where people are scared to talk about the Little Rocket Man because they fear for their precious lives. Mind you, Rwanda is not a communist country, so I don't know what you are writing about.

I don't support Paul Kagame being in power for a long time. However, nobody should cry more than the bereaved. Don't use what happened in other African countries as basis for what will happen in Rwanda.

Coming to if something happens to Kagame, na you wan kill am? Besides, for that country to have made progress - without tribal wars after the genocide - by allowing a man from the minority to rule them for this time, doesn't it tell you that those people don't think like the rest of us?

I tell people that most countries that don't work lack patriotic people. If you people are patrotic, there's nothing you cannot achieve as a people. This is a fact...

Paul Kagame is not the only person that keep Rwandans together and guarantee development. He is like any other dictator in history and his excesses will unravel when he is gone. Kagame is no messiah but a man who like most African leaders is so much in love in power that he is scared of life without it. Rwandan without Kagame at this time will have a better and smoother sustainable developmental trajectory that comes with natural political stability into the future than artificially-stable Rwanda with Kagame's 4th term in office. All he needs to do at this time is to facilitate a constitution that deliberately engenders national unity with intentionally interests-balanced parliament and the hand over to another government to have it tested.

You have the right to hold your opinion and I respect that.

63 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by Donaldoni: 12:11pm On Sep 20, 2023
SmartPolician:
Which iron fist?

That's all that matters.

No it isn't.

He is a 'kind' dictator. That was why the US amended its constitution to limit a president's tenure to 2 terms after Franklin D. Roosevelt died in the middle of his fourth term.

Not allowed.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by mrvitalis(m): 12:13pm On Sep 20, 2023
SmartPolician:
Which iron fist?

That's all that matters.
Unless Rwanda is restructured along ethnic lines and give each side autonomy the peace is just temporary that's all I can say

He needs to find a lasting solution... Roman Empire did one Europe for 600 years .... Did it work? No

15 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by LLSAINT(m): 12:15pm On Sep 20, 2023
I Stand to share a contrary opinion.
I have been privileged to visit this country and the museum of the genocide to reflect their pain and I must confess they remain one of the saddest set of the human species on planet earth.
Winning elections are not true reflections of the agitations of the people or reflection of your acceptability especially in Africa where free and fair elections never hold sway.
Kigame has narrowed the minds of these guys out of civilization where they are scared to ventilate their vista.
I smelt fear whenever you hear them speak on issues of national discourse or even on how they feel personally.
Rwanda and it seeming development is just plastic in the real sense of it

22 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by Racoon(m): 12:22pm On Sep 20, 2023
sad Military coup loading in Rwanda soonest.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by TheSuperX(m): 2:25pm On Sep 20, 2023
He will run for the 10th time if possible, African leaders and power. 😄

1 Like

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by GeneralPula: 2:32pm On Sep 20, 2023
Racoon:
sad Military coup loading in Rwanda soonest.
To think that you do praise this same Kagame all because you wanted to act like a headless mob?

You don’t have to change. Kagame is the best after cassava, according to you..

2 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by EmperorCaesar(m): 2:37pm On Sep 20, 2023
Rule them till u tire as per na only u get revolutionary mind for there

6 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by Benekkk: 3:22pm On Sep 20, 2023
He’s been good for the country, unlike all these other African thieving politicians, so why not?

4 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by Elsudani2: 3:24pm On Sep 20, 2023
I laugh people clapping for this nigga after reading Thier online newspaper.

Anyway Bola A Thubv got supporters so 🤷

5 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by hodari: 3:37pm On Sep 20, 2023
festacman:

Look, the disadvantage of what Paul Kagame is doing is that for several years, everything will be about him and revolve around him so much that there is not any solid succession plan in place and the political class and the citizens have poor democracy learning curves. Yes, there are physical developments but developmental mentality will be missing among the civil servants and citizens.

A dangerous lacuna is created and if Paul Kagame dropped dead today, everything he builds crumbles from infighting for power. It happened with Félix Houphouët-Boigny in Ivory Coast. It happened with Mohamed Siad Barre in Somalia. And if he succeeds in installing his son, the damage goes on and day of reckoning is merely postponed.
You're 100% right. Rwanda is a police state and people watch their shadows and are afraid to speak against the government. Like how Nigeria used to be under military rule in the 70s and 80s.

Not only that, Paul Kagame's regime preaches "reconciliation" but 90% of the government, military, police, private sector, etc is composed of minority Tutsis. Let nobody cheat you, it's very easy to tell who is a Tutsi or Hutu from physical features and also the Tutsi hate Hutu people with a passion.

Kagame has become more and more paranoid by the day, he's now even murdering his political opponents far from Rwanda borders-in South Africa, Mozambique, Kenya, Canada, Sweden, etc He is now killing even his fellow Tutsi like Faustin Kayumba Nyamwasa and Patrick Karegeya...former trusted high-ranking Rwandan officials. Not even young Youtubers and musicians are being spared death in Kagame's hands. He is a very ruthless dictator.

Go to inside Kigali-places like Nyamirambo and speak to the locals. You shall realise Rwanda is a terrible ticking time bomb.

27 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by nony43(m): 4:03pm On Sep 20, 2023
He deserves it. He is doing fine. Abuja can not stand toe to toe with Kigali. Kigali one of the most beautiful cities in Africa.

1 Like

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by FalseProphet1(m): 4:04pm On Sep 20, 2023
I see a coup taking place Rwanda before the end of this year.

This I have seen.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by Franzinni: 4:04pm On Sep 20, 2023
This same man is all over social media speaking about what Africa needs to be great but power is a hell of a drug.

This continent called Africa ... It will take a lot to finally escape the mentality that keeps us stagnant

7 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by ivolt: 4:04pm On Sep 20, 2023
Okay.
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by MS247: 4:04pm On Sep 20, 2023
As long as he isn't breaking any law

He developed Rwanda from war left overs

1 Like

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by Kcfresh2103(m): 4:05pm On Sep 20, 2023
Hope AU, UN and the rest of them are watching..... because na serious coup dey load so. They won't caution him now, later they will start mobilizing troup and dishing out sanctions.

1 Like

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by FreeStuffsNG: 4:05pm On Sep 20, 2023
Disgraceful . This is the same person our Governors went to meet in Kigali. He is looking to self destruct of his legacy. Check my signature for free stuffs!

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mass Shooting In Holland Leaves 1 Dead, Many Injured / Chad's Army Dissolves Parliament, Government. Imposes Curfew, Shuts Borders / Germany To Expel Chad Ambassador, Mariam Ali Moussa, In Tit-for-tat Move

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.