Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,912 members, 7,835,049 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:24 AM

Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term (25089 Views)

Rwanda's President Paul Kagame Approves The Retirement Of 924 Military Officials / Rwanda's Paul Kagame Tried Hacking SA's Cyril Ramaphosa's Phone / Vladimir Putin Sworn In For 4th Term, Rides In New Russian-Made Limo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by SmartPolician: 4:38pm On Sep 20, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Lol! No they don't. If they did, he would not be suppressing the dissent expressed by citizens inside and outside Rwanda. Rwanda is a police state. All Rwandese living abroad HAVE to register at their embassy abroad and are heavily monitored

Lee Kwuan Yu did the same in Singapore while he was the leader. Many people didn't like him. Today, the world celebrates him for transforming his country and growing the economy of just 6 million people almost the same as the GDP of Nigeria of 220 million people.

The point is, nine times out of ten, a good leader doesn't necessarily take the people where they want to be. Instead, he takes them where they ought to be.
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by MICHEALADEX(m): 4:39pm On Sep 20, 2023
SmartPolician:
Which iron fist?

The people of Rwanda love that man and always say good things about him.

And Paul Kagame has been doing a great job in the country.

That's all that matters.

Hmmm yet you talk slavery here
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by airsaylongcome: 4:39pm On Sep 20, 2023
SmartPolician:

I have lots of friends who have holidayed in Rwanda, and they all have good things to say about the country. Videos of Rwanda are all over the internet. You can see the progress a landlocked country that survived a genocide has made under one man who has big dreams for his country.

Please visit Rwanda for yourself. And when you do, go outside Kigali. Win the trust of the locals and try to get them to reveal their truest thoughts about Kagame. You'd be shocked. I have got a Nigerian-American cousin (Nigerian born and raised before emigrating at 16). Work took her to Rwanda for 2 years. Lived outside Kigali. The stories she heard about true feelings towards Kagame were shocking. Many people are just quiet because they don't want to relieve the horrors of another civil war

4 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by airsaylongcome: 4:42pm On Sep 20, 2023
SmartPolician:

Lee Kwuan Yu did the same in Singapore while he was the leader. Many people didn't like him. Today, the world celebrates him for transforming his country and growing the economy of just 6 million people almost the same as the GDP of Nigeria of 220 million people.

The point is, nine times out of ten, a good leader doesn't necessarily take the people where they want to be. Instead, he takes them where they ought to be.

And again I tell you that the stories you read of Rwanda are far from the reality on ground. He is pro-West now and is getting all the support from them. Wait until he outlives his usefulness. You will get to know all the malfeasance happening with and through him.

4 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by airsaylongcome: 4:44pm On Sep 20, 2023
LLSAINT:
I Stand to share a contrary opinion.
I have been privileged to visit this country and the museum of the genocide to reflect their pain and I must confess they remain one of the saddest set of the human species on planet earth.
Winning elections are not true reflections of the agitations of the people or reflection of your acceptability especially in Africa where free and fair elections never hold sway.
Kigame has narrowed the minds to these guys out of civilization where they are scared to ventilate their vista.
I smelt fear whenever you hear them speak on issues of national discourse or even on how they feel personally.
Rwanda and it seeming development is just plastic in the real sense of it

You indeed have engaged with the real, everyday Rwandese

3 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by oakenfold: 4:47pm On Sep 20, 2023
Christistruth00:
He needs to remember how Gaddafi ended

And how is Libya today? Which one of their 2 governments is the real one? Or abi na 3 governments dem get? When is the next fire fight going to randomly breakout and kill innocents on the street again? How is their infrastructure doing now that the factions are hauling wealth out and doing nothing for people.

1 Like

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by airsaylongcome: 4:47pm On Sep 20, 2023
nony43:
He deserves it. He is doing fine. Abuja can not stand toe to toe with Kigali. Kigali one of the most beautiful cities in Africa.

Go outside Kigali. Engage with everyday Rwandese. Then you will know that Kagame is not all that is portrayed in mainstream media. There is no difference between him and the regular African dictator. Kagame is a fierce, ruthless, iron-fisted dictator

5 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by airsaylongcome: 4:48pm On Sep 20, 2023
planetx:
Changing presidents every 4 or 8 years doesn't necessarily work for every country. Kagame is doing a good job and the people are happy with him.

Repressing dissent is now "doing a good job"?

4 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by adenigga(m): 4:48pm On Sep 20, 2023
wrongman665:
Coup loading..... grin grin
Ooh!! Yeeeee.......

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by blacksam01: 4:49pm On Sep 20, 2023
He ruled from 1994 till now and is still 65yrs old...?
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by airsaylongcome: 4:50pm On Sep 20, 2023
Bkelly2:
He is a good leader otherwise there would have been a protest. I hope when he eventually leaves that office, an equally competent hand will take over. Rwanda needs those unifying leaders.

He is anything BUT a good leader. Many of you are swayed by the positive PR campau3the West gives him. In the heartland of Rwanda, he is utterly disliked. But he rules with such an iron-fist that people are scared to publicly show dissent.

Read up this 3 year old article

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-54801979.amp
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by Ewedegubbler: 4:50pm On Sep 20, 2023
I have never seen a Rwandan that has any bad thing to say about this man.

I don Bleep many of them and dem sabi squirt wella
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by TheSuperX(m): 4:51pm On Sep 20, 2023
Lol I see him contesting more than 4 times, African leaders and power is like bread and butter. 😂😂
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by lexy2014: 4:53pm On Sep 20, 2023
Christistruth00:
He needs to remember how Gaddafi ended
Is he delivering?
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by Ahigbo1: 4:54pm On Sep 20, 2023
Just a couple of weeks ago our governors were with him for a retreat on governance, meanwhile he's a sit tight buffoon tongue

1 Like

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by Emola12(m): 4:54pm On Sep 20, 2023
Another coups loading.........
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by airsaylongcome: 4:57pm On Sep 20, 2023
Ewedegubbler:

Here you go: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-54801979.amp

For those, lucky enough to escape

1 Like

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by VIKTO83(m): 4:59pm On Sep 20, 2023
I've been to Rwanda.
So if the way Paul Kegame is leading them is termed iron Fist then I rather ask tinubu yo lead us like that
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by VEHINTOLAR: 4:59pm On Sep 20, 2023
That idiotic Tutsi man should be given Ali Bongo's treatment ! Is Rwanda his father's property or something ? He is mad !
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by Christistruth00: 5:00pm On Sep 20, 2023
lexy2014:

Is he delivering?

Not anymore
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by Mrniceguy001: 5:01pm On Sep 20, 2023
Black man and useless power.
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by LegacyB: 5:08pm On Sep 20, 2023
SmartPolician:
Which iron fist?

That's all that matters.
Oya clap for yourself Robbin hood.
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by kioski: 5:09pm On Sep 20, 2023
festacman:

Praise-singing, graveyard quietness and choreographed smiles are all deceitful hallmarks of dictatorship because behind the façade you see is an unhappy mentally-shackled people yearning for fresh air and freedom.

Look, the disadvantage of what Paul Kagame is doing is that for several years, everything will be about him and revolve around him so much that there is not any solid succession plan in place and the political class and the citizens have poor democracy learning curves. Yes, there are physical developments but developmental mentality will be missing among the civil servants and citizens.

A dangerous lacuna is created and if Paul Kagame dropped dead today, everything he builds crumbles from infighting for power. It happened with Félix Houphouët-Boigny in Ivory Coast. It happened with Mohamed Siad Barre in Somalia. And if he succeeds in installing his son, the damage goes on and day of reckoning is merely postponed.
This is unfortunately how the West who never meant well towards us want us to see democracy. The moment you start making progress, they quickly call you a name and start looking for your downfall and even turn your own against you. In the definition of democracy, I don't see any limitation in the number of participation by an individual. It is the people's wish that's key to the definition, and that wish must be respected for continued progress. The earlier we limit them from interfering with our livelihood the better for us. Those rogues who want everything done as they want.
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by LegacyB: 5:09pm On Sep 20, 2023
Ewedegubbler:

That’s not the point. He needs to set a proper example. You cannot say cos he is performing he should sit tight.

2 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by lexy2014: 5:09pm On Sep 20, 2023
Christistruth00:

Not anymore

What has changed?
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by DyingFetus: 5:11pm On Sep 20, 2023
airsaylongcome:

Here you go: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-54801979.amp

For those, lucky enough to escape

Avoid mainstream media
Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by Christistruth00: 5:15pm On Sep 20, 2023
lexy2014:

What has changed?
He has become a sit tight tyrant

2 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by toprealman: 5:20pm On Sep 20, 2023
SmartPolician:
Which iron fist?

That's all that matters.
Same way they claimed to love Bongo before he was stripped of his powers in the recent Gabon coup . Did you see how the same people were celebrating on the streets of Gabon?
Kagame should respect democracy and their constitution. It’s not a question of you being “good”, what does the constitution say about your illegibility to contest?
Despite what Obama achieved, why did he bow out after 2 terms as president?
You know he was once a feared rebel leader right? Do you think people’ are not afraid to die ?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by sageb: 5:29pm On Sep 20, 2023
ussv:
No matter how you are loved by your people, you leave when it`s time. Everything should have a limit and that is why we even have speed limit. Nelson Mandela did his term and left despite cries from his people to stay. No matter what, presidency should not be a lifetime appointment. But some African leaders remove term limit that gives them unlimited shot at power.

You nailed it
Nelson Mandela is a rare Gem

1 Like

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by excel101(m): 5:31pm On Sep 20, 2023
This is the problem of African leaders. Despite all the good things he did in Rwanda, he's about destroying it with black man's greed fto cling to power

2 Likes

Re: Rwanda’s Paul Kagame Wants A 4th Term by Juju70(m): 5:32pm On Sep 20, 2023
SmartPolician:
Which iron fist?

That's all that matters.

Love fire na so! So he should die there! Is it constitutional?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Tel Aviv Shooting: Two Dead, Eight Wounded (Photos) / Germany To Expel Chad Ambassador, Mariam Ali Moussa, In Tit-for-tat Move / Story Of Gnassingbe Eyadema, The Dictator Whose Family Ruled Togo For 50 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.