Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,114 members, 7,814,914 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan (29721 Views)

Aba Residents Groan As Rain Washes Off Newly Constructed People's Road (Video) / Commuters Groan, Businesses Shut As Sango-Ota Road Collapses / Trailer Carrying Diesel Sinks In Owerri As A Newly Constructed Road Collapses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by DesChyko: 5:44am On Sep 21, 2023
A section of the road linking the Ikotun roundabout to Ejigbo and other neighbouring communities in Lagos State has collapsed.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the road just by a canal caved in after the downpour on Saturday, September 16.

The damage had since left motorists plying the route in palpable fear over an imminent accident resulting from a total collapse of the section.

Our correspondent who visited the community on Tuesday discovered that the extent of the damage had left the road almost impassable.

Motorists plying the route were seen filing into a single lane as they alternated the only space left after the damage.

A resident, who identified himself simply as Ayoola, said, “The road was in a better shape before the erosion from the canal started to damage it. The damage has been going on for years.

“Besides, the roads lacked proper maintenance since they were built on the canal. It also would not have got to this level if the maintenance was carried out. So, the more we entered the rainy season, the more it got damaged and that was what led to the collapse.”

Another resident, Idowu Sanusi, alleged that the road had been left unattended despite a series of complaints made to the government both at the local and state levels.

It was gathered that the collapsed road had been causing gridlock in the community, especially during the morning rush.

When contacted, the Director of Media and Publicity Lagos Ministry of Works, Shina Odunuga, denied knowledge of the situation.

He said, “I don’t know about it and I cannot respond to you on the phone.”

https://punchng.com/lagos-road-collapses-after-downpour-residents-groan/?amp

3 Likes

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by DesChyko: 5:45am On Sep 21, 2023
It wasn't just a downpour on Saturday. It was a near-flood incident. I was concerned that despite the level of flooding, the rain was still coming down in torrents. Never had I experienced such in all my years residing here.

It was also a warning to us concerning our recent lack of interest as natural drainage channels are taken over by buildings and gutters are left unattended. The next Saturday CDA meeting will be very interesting.

26 Likes

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by Bullet01(f): 5:52am On Sep 21, 2023
Lagos and flooding are inseparable. Poor drainage system and obstructions in the water ways

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by Urexcellency: 5:54am On Sep 21, 2023
That's serious
Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by Boogyman557: 6:09am On Sep 21, 2023
Holly Gram cool What a mess!

Na around this place I go NACK ASHAWOO las week!

They need to do something about this flood of a thing abeg..

Make ASHAWOO hotels for that area no go increase price ooo.

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by chatinent: 6:26am On Sep 21, 2023
The govt will def take care of it. They should always go for quality work.

3 Likes

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by Absuchat(m): 6:52am On Sep 21, 2023
Just passed this death trap few minutes ago...it really needs urgent attention

2 Likes

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by FalseProphet1(m): 10:38am On Sep 21, 2023
Nigeria is collapsing. Know this and have peace.

This I have seen.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by Jestin: 10:38am On Sep 21, 2023
See how dirty Lagos is looking. One shaking shaking grandpa will still claim he built Lagos

48 Likes

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by YoungDaNaval(m): 10:38am On Sep 21, 2023
Tinubu built Lagos

15 Likes

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by Grit2943(m): 10:38am On Sep 21, 2023
It has been like that since last year.

2 Likes

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by stano2(m): 10:38am On Sep 21, 2023
Omo I pity people wey Dey that state pass.
Is there actually a planned city in Nigeria?

11 Likes

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by Xscape1993(m): 10:39am On Sep 21, 2023
I thought they claimed to have made over #400bn as IGR for the 1Q of this year. Where is the money please? The dirtiest state in Nigeria.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by Iyenogie30: 10:39am On Sep 21, 2023
What does it really take for the government to do the right thing

Is it that difficult, how much money do you wanna psihon that you can't even at least alleviate the sufferings of humans

And the people living in that area will still queue up to vote during elections and even fight themselves over politicians that can't even fix their bad road

It's quite painful honestly

11 Likes

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by PrinceOfLagos: 10:39am On Sep 21, 2023
Erosion in Lagos cheesy grin

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by obembet(f): 10:39am On Sep 21, 2023
I believe sanwo olu will look into it.

For those who always celebrate bad news about other regions, keep it up cos it region will remain backwards

Eko o ni bake.

Ile Yoruba o no baje

4 Likes

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by tishbite42: 10:40am On Sep 21, 2023
jagaban blueprint
the apc masterplan
the bourdillon ....

4 Likes

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by dayleke: 10:40am On Sep 21, 2023
It is well....even inside the well.
Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by Angelfrost(m): 10:42am On Sep 21, 2023
I will never understand how the average Nigerian easily adjusts to suffering...!

Look at those pictures above... Anyone abroad seeing those will wrongly conclude that a rare disaster occurred, not knowing that those people go through that every single year it rains.

2 Likes

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by Hellonearth: 10:42am On Sep 21, 2023
Ohhh our Lagos wey Tinubu made London🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

15 Likes

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by EmmaLege: 10:43am On Sep 21, 2023
shocked
Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by Femich18(m): 10:43am On Sep 21, 2023
That road has been showing the signs for over 2 yrs now. Nobody is saying anything until it result in loss of lives.
This country sef

8 Likes

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by Funkyswagzz(m): 10:44am On Sep 21, 2023
The Lagos they won't let us hear word😂😂😂🏃🏃🏃🏃

3 Likes

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by Timoleon(m): 10:45am On Sep 21, 2023
Tinubu in the mud.

1 Like

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by Eagle360(m): 10:45am On Sep 21, 2023
He build Lagos grin

1 Like

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by XploraBen(m): 10:46am On Sep 21, 2023
In the Lagos Tinubu built?

1 Like

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by Uyi168: 10:47am On Sep 21, 2023
people for Lagos dey suffer nor be small..

small rain, everywhere don full..

except you offend God, he wouldn't send u to Lagos..

1 Like

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by BrodaBenad: 10:49am On Sep 21, 2023
Erosion is gradually eating away SW soon there will be no land left cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by happney65: 10:51am On Sep 21, 2023
You should see better pictures of the area on pages of punch. These pictures aren't doing much justice. You will see houses built directly on the canal

I think that is what caused it exactly

1 Like

Re: Ikotun Road Collapses After Downpour, Residents Groan by Chetas81(m): 10:51am On Sep 21, 2023
CALL THE BLACK CHARCOAL AKA SANWOLU, TO EXPLAIN,WHY LOCAL GOVERNMENT IS NOT WORKING

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

States Less Popular Than Their Capitals / 7 UNIMAID Students Die In Accident In Yobe (Disturbing Photos) / LASG Unveils Lagos Ride Scheme.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.