Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,659 members, 7,955,390 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 02:20 AM

Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? (13526 Views)

Pastor Psalm Okpe Of Fresh Oil Ministry And The Singer That Died In Benin Hotel / Before You Pray Psalm 109 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:23pm On Oct 20, 2011
Gombs:

OP, If questioning the very word of God i.e the scriptures is cowardice,i'd wanna be a coward for life.

Actually I said being afraid to NOT question makes you a coward and with that said Im not gonna read the rest of your gibberish. I already made it clear that Im only paying attention to those willing to have a discussion not zombies who rather hide in fear with the robot response of "That's how God wants it"

Have a nice day. cool
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:25pm On Oct 20, 2011
franko!:

However, i think heartthief sometimes undermined the excellence of her work by going to some ajegunle level as with this outburst, but hey! we are all human,

Rofl cheesy cheesy Ive been known to say worse things on the board. Darling you must be a newbie. wink Besides do you have a problem with ajegunle? grin
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:28pm On Oct 20, 2011
D-Explorer:

I think only clearification can help your misunderstanding of that chapter n that u've gotten. Now read without fear.

Yes Ive gotten some interpretations, either you wanna add to it or move on. As for reading it? No. Not using my lips to say those things. David had a reason. I however have no reason for that.

If you have "enemies" to the point where you have to curse their babies, ask them to be motherless, yada yada, perhaps you are the problem?

You are supposed to pray for them, not cuss them. This is why you cant tell the difference between many Naija Christians and a voodoo priest/priestess.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:31pm On Oct 20, 2011
tessyade:

@poster i understand you. I also once asked why d wars or battles of d old testament are in d bible since men were slaughtered like animals. The answer to all these is that we will never appreciate the work of Jesus if the lapses of old testament is not known/written. The Psalms u quoted is not applicable in our time but its there so that we can know what was obtainable then and be able to appreciate the new covenant pioneered by Christ. Shalom!

Thank you for this response. Very enlightening. Much appreciated. smiley
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:42pm On Oct 20, 2011
mystikal:

If an assassin should enter the house by night, and murder your mother, and then escape, and the Police and citizens were all out in pursuit, trying to catch him, would you not pray to God that they might succeed and arrest him, and that he might be brought to justice?

I dont know what this has to do with my thread.

Ugobelu:

Till tomorrow I don't understand that psalm and why it is in the bible,
We should not just read it or pray it for anybody (my opinion though)
It is contradictory the forgiveness of 70 x 70  in the gospel.

Exactly my problem with it hence my question. Many people are afraid to have discussions though. Guess they feel by asking questions they will be killed in their sleep. Their problem sha. Not mine. Dont regret the thread as Ive gotten to read various interpretations.

Googler:

Let's say you are correct and she would summon God to send otolo and HIV to deal with people. Would that make it RIGHT?

Abi o.

imagine yourself a faithful husband who returns home to meet his best friend on top of his wife; a neighbour of yours ganging up with outsiders to kill you as to evade payment of money borrowed from you; etc. if you invoke Psalm 109 in similar or worse betrayals God will answer. He may not obliterate the lineage but He will free you from your friend's snare.

You really believe this nonsense? Lmao.  She will reach her o-rgasm fiinish before you even find the psalm. Like mystika's comment Ive no idea on what you're talking about

It does everyone a WORLD of good when scripture is not taken/used out of context. There is a time for everything. A time to bless, and a time to curse. If ALL scripture is God-breathed (and I firmly believe this one is) then David was in the right position to pronounce these curses, or judgements as the case may be. My 2 cents

agreed and I get what you mean. David was indeed in the right position. Nigerians and other hateful Christians however dont have the right unless they wanna denounce following Christ and His words.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by Revolva(m): 6:45pm On Oct 20, 2011
That why i say the Bible is not the real Word of God

Pls google it you gonna find out and its very deep, Ok

It is just a book written by men and has been adultrated and tampered upon from era to era
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by eros(m): 9:07pm On Oct 20, 2011
That psalm was written by the MFM wing of the ancient world. Fact.

This got me cracking up. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by tpia5: 9:25pm On Oct 20, 2011
thiefofhearts

anything from anywhere can be used negatively.

your friend may have been pushed to her limit, but if you're a christian (?)  what you could do is provide a listening ear and pray with her so she can let go of the anger and begin to look at other ways to handle the crisis.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:55pm On Oct 20, 2011
Im not judging my friend, Im well aware she was joking. Between the both of us, I';d be the one more likely to use it before she does lol, if anything our discussion reminded me of those psychotic Fire On The Mountain churches where their service is filled with "cursing enemies" prayers, that's all they ever do, well that and the constant offerings.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:56pm On Oct 20, 2011
tpia@:

thiefofhearts
anything from anywhere can be used negatively.

Btw this isnt true of the other psalms
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by netotse(m): 10:11pm On Oct 20, 2011
@TOH
I just read the post on the blog you pasted on page 2. . .it made a hell of a lot of sense, there's a lot to learn from that post. . .thanks for sharing it!

I now see that I misunderstood the angle you were coming from. . .
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by tpia5: 10:50pm On Oct 20, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

Btw this isnt true of the other psalms

not sure i get your meaning but psalm 23 makes reference to walking through the valley of the shadow of death.

and in this day and age, i find people make a lot of reference to "enemies" and this isnt limited to folks in nigeria.

the supposedly educated ones overseas are even worse.

so, you yourself might be considered an enemy by someone you hardly know, just saying.

my point is, many of these issues are spiritual ones.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:57pm On Oct 20, 2011
tpia@:

not sure i get your meaning but psalm 23 makes reference to walking through the valley of the shadow of death.

I dont think you get my point Tpia :/

Psalm 23 is a prayer of protection/mercy, We are able to walk thru the valley of death because we fear no evil. why? because we believe God will protect us. I have NO problem with that as a prayer. You can NOT compared that to asking God to make someone fatherless, destitue, etc

Not sure why people dont see the difference between 109 and the other psalms. undecided

Netotse

You're very welcome!
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by tpia5: 11:09pm On Oct 20, 2011
^^the psalmist prayed that prayer i think because that was what was done to him.

it's the old testament law of vengeance which Jesus advised against.

ps 119:8b

when wilt thou execute judgment on them that persecute me?
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by plappville(f): 8:43am On Oct 21, 2011
Gombs:

OP, If questioning the very word of God i.e the scriptures is cowardice,i'd wanna be a coward for life.Meanwhile you took only the first part of my question and couldnt answer the rest,and as far as sensibility is concerned,you didnt answer the first question.Let me paraphrase, ,"what do you wanna achieve by questioning and slandering the veracity of the scriptures?", Since when did it become you job to discern how people pray,whatever scriptures they use,and whatever reasons they have?You should study the bible and see what became of those who questioned or ridiculed God's word(if you read your post and topic,you see you doing worse than questioning and ridicule).instead of creating strife using God's word,in the auspice of 'understanding' why not study more of the scriptures or meet learned men of God?
Ecc 12:13 NIV "Now all has been heard:here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments,for this is the whole duty of man."

OP fear God and his inspired scriptures,for it is a terrible thing to fall in the hands of the living God(let me keep you busy,lookup this scripture in the bible:-)).Since you desire understanding of the scripture Psalm 109,then Proverbs 1:7 NIV answers you desire "the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge(wisdom),, " i included wisdom there as other translations carry it,and i hope you dont fall into the category of the latter part of that verse.But if you wanna continue in this path,you'd just be fulfilling the scriptures in Jude 10 "Yet these men speak abusively against whatever they do not understand;and what things they do understand by instinct,like unreasoning animals-these are the very things that destroy them.
11Woe to them!, "

i rest my case.(do yourself a favour and answer my earlier questions,else you'd prove yourself certifiable).thanks.

@OP, this one is enough as advice, we ought not to question the word of God, when reading the bible pray for understanding. U ve reacted against this verse in flesh.

Captain Cids:

[color=#000099][/color]people do not read questions before they write their answerz,i mean why must u be foolish to do dis, now Mr poster only God knows why u tot of dis,it's not left to us to say which portion of d bible should be or not be in d bible!have u ever been tormented?if u have, den u'll understand dat in such conditions!only God is merciful not man!REMEMBER WHEN JESUS SAID THIS"NO MAN IS GOOD,ONLY HIS FATHER IN HEAVEN"remember not to judge odaz or talk bout something u do not understand!

Another great advice. When u do not understand a verse in the bible, feel free to ask than concluding with ur own understanding. Every verse in the bible is Gods word and need not to be questioned.

from @thiefofheart:agreed and I get what you mean. David was indeed in the right position. Nigerians and other hateful Christians however dont have the right unless they wanna denounce following Christ and His words.
So u re the one that decides who ve the right to use some particular verse in the bible?

U keep attacking those who are not in agreement with ur qoute why? be gentle in handling matters like this.
All u need to seek fro God is wisdom, not self understanding.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:09pm On Oct 21, 2011
plappville:

@OP, this one is enough as advice, we ought not to question the word of God, when reading the bible pray for understanding.

If you wanna stay in a bubble of ignorance, that is your business. I didnt read the rest of your "words" since you're obviously you are afraid to add to the discussion then please go on your way. Have a nice day.  smiley

Dont know why NL is the only board in the world that doesnt have an ignore button. Very annoying. undecided
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by plappville(f): 2:14pm On Oct 21, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

If you wanna stay in a bubble of ignorance, that is your business. If you cant add to the discussion then please go on your way. Have a nice day. smiley

Dont know why NL is the only board in the world that doesnt have an ignore button. Very annoying. undecided

But i added to it! whats annoying u, the advise given? sorry it hasn't come to that. Learn to handle matters without insults, thanks.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by JeSoul(f): 2:21pm On Oct 21, 2011
TOH. Hello sister! smiley
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:13pm On Oct 21, 2011
JeSoul:

TOH. Hello sister! smiley

Hello darling Long time grin
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by JeSoul(f): 3:29pm On Oct 21, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

Hello darling Long time grin
Long time oh. Why you just abandon us like that now? smiley I hope you have been beyond well girl. Good to see you around smiley.
[size=5pt] Totally offtopic & point: Did you happen to be in Manhattan this past week? say wednesday? somewhere on 2nd ave? if not, never mind cheesy [/size]
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by NegroNtns(m): 9:17pm On Oct 21, 2011
Nature exist as a paired opposite.

God created man in His image - Male,Female.

The male/female pair is a balance for manifestation of life.

The father/mother pair gives manifestation for reproduction.

The good/bad pair is a balance for virtue.

The heaven/earth pair is manifestation for the cosmos.

The blessing/curse pair is a balance for Divine grace.

So the psalm is indeed an earful, but out of that comes Grace.

The word "Allah" itself is a paired opposite. "Al" in arabic connotes affirmation or a 'yes"; "la" connotes a negation or "no". In the combination of the two - yes/no - we have a SUPREMACY of Being.

On a different topic, I didnt know the two of you are sisters. The two of you paired with this Negro is a completion. grin
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:12am On Oct 22, 2011
JeSoul:

Long time oh. Why you just abandon us like that now? smiley I hope you have been beyond well girl. Good to see you around smiley.
[size=5pt] Totally offtopic & point: Did you happen to be in Manhattan this past week? say wednesday? somewhere on 2nd ave? if not, never mind cheesy [/size]

Do you blame me for abadoning this place? LOL. All these people are mentally stunted, how a m I still arguing the same issues that I did in 2006/2007.
I missed you and Sisikill however

[size=4pt]wasnt there o. you come to the city often? let's meet![/size]
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by Judek2(m): 12:57pm On Oct 23, 2011
Revolva:

That why i say the Bible is not the real Word of God

Pls google it you gonna find out and its very deep, Ok

It is just a book written by men and has been adultrated and tampered upon from era to era

Who the hell is this
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by seyibrown(f): 1:28pm On Oct 27, 2011
In Psalm 109, David was putting a petition before God! He wanted God to deal with his enemies because he couldn't handle them himself.  For David, it was not a matter of Iya Sikira vs Iya Ngozi! We are talking matters that would decide the fate of a whole nation. Psalm 109 is not the only psalm where this kind of petition is made. There are at least 20 psalms in this tone.

If your enemies keep sending bombs into your country everyday, It'd be very very silly to keep sending them food supplies in 'retaliation'!  smiley When you ask God to favour you with the promotion that Supervisor who hates you at work wants to give to someone else, you are effectively asking God to put that Supervisor to shame, whether you say it in those exact words or not! He will be very ashamed when you get the promotion after he has bragged to everyone that you won't get it!  smiley

There is a time to bless, and a time to curse! There is a time to cry out to God in pain when the enemy refuses to leave you in peace! That was exactly what David did. Spiritual warfare is aimed at the power behind the enemy, which is the devil, but the enemy who serves as a conduit for the devil in your persecution will get his share of the judgement.

It is not right to pray that one's colleague/neighbour/Husband's mistress die in a car accident for the harm they've caused but the soul of a petitioner will cry out crazy things to God when they are under persecution. The petitioner alone knows where and how much it hurts.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by NegroNtns(m): 8:13pm On Oct 27, 2011
When we pray for our own self we are not even sure GOD will grant it and for most part HE delivers to us something different than we prayed for. So how is it that our curse on others are sure to come true and GOD granted?

The curse is not about a bad spell but rather a call to GRACE. The tongue is very powerful but there is a mystery behind its power. I'm not going to explain but I wil give a hint.

In human anatomy every part that is attached to the will is also paired and opposite except for three parts - the HEAD, the TONGUE and the REPRODUCTIVE PART. The head is a chakra end with an invisible rope linking heavenward and the reproductive part is a chakra end with an insible anchor tying to the earth. The head is the spiritual, the reproductive is the material. So what is the tongue?
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by JeSoul(f): 5:46pm On Oct 28, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

Do you blame me for abadoning this place? LOL. All these people are mentally stunted, how a m I still arguing the same issues that I did in 2006/2007.
I missed you and Sisikill however
Lol. They are what makes the place fun. Log on and laugh. But really, its nice to see you around, that raw, undiluted, razor sharp Karma . . . ah! now that I have missed grin

[size=4pt]wasnt there o. you come to the city often? let's meet![/size]
Not there often jare. Just had some quick business, I was in & out. Dunno how you guys do it . . . the hustle and bustle and rude obnoxious people, complete with overpriced everything everywhere gets on my nerve in minutes lol.

Negro_Ntns:

On a different topic, I didnt know the two of you are sisters. The two of you paired with this Negro is a completion. grin
Lol. Still a bad boy even in the religion section? cheesy
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by NegroNtns(m): 8:55pm On Oct 28, 2011
Lol. Still a bad boy even in the religion section?

Ooops!! U know what, I forgot.

Negro makes the sign of the Cross - Our Father who art in Heaven, forgive me as I forgive that Karmamod with razor sharp tongue.

JeSoul dear, they killed my brother in Libya, I have been mourning.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by JeSoul(f): 9:31pm On Oct 28, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Ooops!! U know what, I forgot.

Negro makes the sign of the Cross - Our Father who art in Heaven, forgive me as I forgive that Karmamod with razor sharp tongue.
Oya to complete your restitution - 10 mama puts, 21 hajiyas, 5 alhajis and one large ice-cream cake. Round it off with some pepto-bismol. Go and sin no more.

JeSoul dear, they killed my brother in Libya, I have been mourning.
Common now my negro friend, libyan 'brothers' are a dime a dozen. Don't worry, cut off the head and 1000 more medusas will grow in its place. You won't be brotherless for too long . . . smiley
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by NegroNtns(m): 3:05pm On Oct 29, 2011
Oya to complete your restitution - 10 mammary jugs pluts, 21 hajiyas, 5 alhajais and one large ice-cream cake. Round it off with some ginger pepto-bismol. Go and sin no more.

U sabi me well well grin grin With this list who need a Libyan brother?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Practical Ways To Remain Free From Sin And Demonic Control. / 3 Kids Tortured By Prayer Houses & Thrown Into Streets Of Akwa Ibom Rescued(pics / He That Breaketh A Hedge, Serpent Will Bite Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.