Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,711 members, 7,809,699 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:28 PM

Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? (13330 Views)

Pastor Psalm Okpe Of Fresh Oil Ministry And The Singer That Died In Benin Hotel / Before You Pray Psalm 109 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:36pm On Oct 19, 2011
Recently a friend of mine was venting to me about her terrible boss and she mentioned that she's tired to the point she wouldnt mind using onef of the cursing psalms on her head. I had no idea what she was talking about as the Psalms I know of are mainly of mercy, protection, thanksgiving, good luck etc so I rsearched cursing psalms and came across Psalm 109, 60 and 137. 109 being the worst one

Why exactly is this in the Bible? It's so drenched with hate, it's unbelivable. I cant even read it all the way thru, I feel like Im bring evil into my soul. Then again Im sure it's probably a fav one amongst Nigerians since they love wishing people to be brought down as evidently shown in various Naija churches where the "Pray for your enemies" is ignored and "wish fire to devour their heads, etc" is chanted instead.

I cant possibly be the only one who finds this Psalm disturbing, right? Bible about love, turning the cheek, forgiveness shouldnt have words like Psalm 109

what says you people of NL?
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:39pm On Oct 19, 2011
Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise;
2 for the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me:

they have spoken against me with a lying tongue.
3 They compassed me about also with words of hatred;

and fought against me without a cause.
4 For my love they are my adversaries:

but I give myself unto prayer.
5 And they have rewarded me evil for good,

and hatred for my love.
6 Set thou a wicked man over him:

and let Satan stand at his right hand.
7 When he shall be judged, let him be condemned:

and let his prayer become sin.
8 Let his days be few;

and let another take his office. Acts 1.20
9 Let his children be fatherless,

and his wife a widow.
10 Let his children be continually vagabonds, and beg:

let them seek their bread also out of their desolate places.
11 Let the extortioner catch all that he hath;

and let the strangers spoil his labor.
12 Let there be none to extend mercy unto him:

neither let there be any to favor his fatherless children.

13 Let his posterity be cut off;

and in the generation following let their name be blotted out.
14 Let the iniquity of his fathers be remembered with the LORD;

and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out.
15 Let them be before the LORD continually,

that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.
16 Because that he remembered not to show mercy,

but persecuted the poor and needy man,
that he might even slay the broken in heart.
17 As he loved cursing,

so let it come unto him:
as he delighted not in blessing,
so let it be far from him.
18 As he clothed himself with cursing like as with his garment,

so let it come into his bowels like water,
and like oil into his bones.
19 Let it be unto him as the garment which covereth him,

and for a girdle wherewith he is girded continually.
20 Let this be the reward of mine adversaries from the LORD,

and of them that speak evil against my soul.
21 But do thou for me, O GOD the Lord, for thy name's sake:

because thy mercy is good, deliver thou me.
22 For I am poor and needy,

and my heart is wounded within me.
23 I am gone like the shadow when it declineth:

I am tossed up and down as the locust.
24 My knees are weak through fasting;

and my flesh faileth of fatness.
25 I became also a reproach unto them:

when they looked upon me they shook their heads.
26 Help me, O LORD my God:

O save me according to thy mercy:
27 that they may know that this is thy hand;

that thou, LORD, hast done it.
28 Let them curse, but bless thou:

when they arise, let them be ashamed;
but let thy servant rejoice.
29 Let mine adversaries be clothed with shame;

and let them cover themselves with their own confusion, as with a mantle.
30 I will greatly praise the LORD with my mouth;

yea, I will praise him among the multitude.
31 For he shall stand at the right hand of the poor,

to save him from those that condemn his soul.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Oct 19, 2011

David was on the run. He had been anointed King by Samuel the Prophet at the command of God, but there was another man on the throne, Saul, who was also King, and his hatred of David ran very deep. The older Saul would kill the younger man if he could, but David would not allow his men to harm "God's anointed" (Saul) . David would be Saul's friend if it was allowed, but Saul would betray David, any way he could. In our Psalm (109) , the key issue is betrayal. David had loyal followers, but he also had a friend who turned against him, and the very likely betrayer was Saul.

The difficulty in understanding such Scriptures as Psalm 109, is a failure to comprehend the heart of men like David. He was a man full of rage at the betrayal done to him, and yet he also would not touch a hair on Saul's head, and he wouldn't allow his men to harm him either, through he could have killed Saul on a number of occasions.

It all makes sense when you consider that Psalm 109, like many Psalms, is more than poetry, more than a musical composition - it is actually a prayer. It broke David's heart that he could HELP Saul (and the nation Israel) so much, and yet Saul, out of jealousy, hated him in response.

Saul's son, Jonathan, was about the same age as David, and the two young men were sincerely the best of friends. I am struck by the stark contrast between the friendship, the love of these "boys" and the hatred of Jonathan's father, Saul. David personally knew the emotions of betrayal, but instead of acting on them in return, he took these feelings to the Lord.

Instead of killing Saul, which he could have done many times, he told God how he felt. No embellishment, no pretense - "Let another take his office. Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow. Let his children continually be vagabonds and beg; let them see their bread
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by mazaje(m): 6:44pm On Oct 19, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

Recently a friend of mine was venting to me about her terrible boss and she mentioned that she's tired to the point she wouldnt mind using onef of the cursing psalms on her head. I had no idea what she was talking about as the Psalms I know of are mainly of mercy, protection, thanksgiving, good luck etc so I rsearched cursing psalms and came across Psalm 109, 60 and 137. 109 being the worst one

Why exactly is this in the Bible? It's so drenched with hate, it's unbelivable. I cant even read it all the way thru, I feel like Im bring evil into my soul. Then again Im sure it's probably a fav one amongst Nigerians since they love wishing people to be brought down as evidently shown in various Naija churches where the "Pray for your enemies" is ignored and "wish fire to devour their heads, etc" is chanted instead.

I cant possibly be the only one who finds this Psalm disturbing, right? Bible about love, turning the cheek, forgiveness shouldnt have words like Psalm 109

Because you like MOST christians don't read the bible, people are being lied to all the time that the bible is all about love, forgiveness, kindness, turning the other check etc. . .The bible teaches that and contain such stories but the bible also teaches or contains stories about murder, r[i]a[/i]pe, slavery, ritual human sacrifice, curses, violence and destruction. . .
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 6:54pm On Oct 19, 2011
Did I mention my religious affiliation in the OP whatsoever?

Anyway Toba thanks for that, very much appreciated as I understand it more however I still think a lot of it is malicious. He's pretty much asking for the ending of one's generation. he responded hatred with more intense hatred.

Keep in mind people have used this same "prayer/psalm" against President Obama. It's just unnerving that people can open the Bible and use this against others as a "prayer"
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by Googler(m): 7:08pm On Oct 19, 2011
That psalm was written by the MFM wing of the ancient world. Fact.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by Samxiulee: 7:14pm On Oct 19, 2011
@toba that was a brilliant explanation for the poster,the bible is a book about humans,so you are to find all human activities in it even homosexuals are mentioned,its not a fairytale book,be inspired by it and be guided by its teachings.shalom
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Oct 19, 2011
ThiefOfHearts:

Toba gave a quite brilliant summary and i would have said the same thing.
I should also add that the idea of forgiveness and turning the other cheek didnt exist in the days of David . . . in his time the law was an eye for an eye. Love and mercy didnt come until we were under grace (a new covenant).
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by Googler(m): 7:37pm On Oct 19, 2011
The toba post does little for the problem at hand. David would not hurt a hair on Saul but would hastily grab the nearest prayer mat and ask God to send ebola virus into the man's lineage forever! He reveals in his vile prayer that all that mattered to him was surviving to take Saul's place, as he feared incuring a curse upon his own head if he killed "God's anointed". David was as loveless and sanguinary as Saul who, by the way, was doing a perfectly normal thing by trying to kill David since there couldn't be two kings in Israel. We are assuming, of course, that David wrote Psalm 109. In my opinion, Psalm 109 is a vile piece set in verse.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:15pm On Oct 19, 2011
Googler:

In my opinion, Psalm 109 is a vile piece set in verse.

agreed.

I understand the history behind it of course but unlike a proverb/parable, psalms are supposed to be a type of prayer, that type of prayer is way too disgusting to be in the Bible esp when you have people these days using it against others.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 9:17pm On Oct 19, 2011
Googler:

That psalm was written by the MFM wing of the ancient world. Fact.

I dont know what you mean by this? Care to expound?
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by Joagbaje(m): 9:21pm On Oct 19, 2011
Sam xiu lee:

@toba that was a brilliant explanation for the poster,the bible is a book about humans,so you are to find all human activities in it .

Yes, it contains words which reveal humanity and frailties of individuals. But at the same time . That psalm is a messianic  psalm. Major part of it refers to judas who betrayed Jesus.

Acts 1:16-20
16 Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus. . . 20 For it is written in the book of Psalms, Let his habitation be desolate, and let no man dwell therein: and his bishoprick let another take.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by Image123(m): 10:36pm On Oct 19, 2011
Psalm 109 is a messianic psalm. i.e it's talking about Jesus Christ. It's actually a prayer made by Jesus Christ, not David. If you don't understand it, keep shut, face front, go look for another chapter, instead of heaping damnation on yourself.
"Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue." (Proverbs 17:28).
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by alanbolo(m): 11:43pm On Oct 19, 2011
Try and understand the chapter/verses very well b4 running to conclusion.   

Remember Romans 2
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by dayokanu(m): 11:49pm On Oct 19, 2011
Well now you know the bible isnt all about love forgiveness and turning the cheek.

You should have heard some people who use the bible to curse. Some conc curses in there
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by freecocoa(f): 12:22am On Oct 20, 2011
Op the bible said"suffer not a witch to live"its not as if someone would just wake up and start using that chapter on anyone,its for the wicked,abeg anyone that doesn't want my peace will not know peace,if anyone has to die for me to become what God has designed then I'll gladly pick up a shovel and start digging the person's grave. Thank you for the chapter sef,I don too use psalm 137,its time to change to psalm 109.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by seedord247(m): 12:25am On Oct 20, 2011
Forget about the bible for now.

You need the Book Of morMon
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by netotse(m): 12:30am On Oct 20, 2011
@TOH
do you have any idea what proverbs 26:2 says? some people can curse all day and it wont mean a thing, but on the other hand. . .

for me, that psalm was David being real, he felt the emotions and expressed it, some of us feel worse emotions(and even act on them sef) It's not until you've cursed the living daylights out of someone that you've done something wrong/vile you know. . .that said, I dont subscribe to that school of thoughts o, I prefer to leave the cursing to others, people can bring down curses on themselves without anyone having to utter a word (Zech 5:3-4)

P.S. The bible isn't all about love and mushy stuff, while God does love us to bits, He is still a God that is too holy to behold iniquity, He's still the God that destroyed sodom and gomorrah. He is still the God paul refers to in 2 thes 1:6.

God is referred to as a consuming fire isn't He?

ok in light of the above, I dey go ask Him for forgiveness for all the bad things I don do today. . . tongue grin
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by freecocoa(f): 12:54am On Oct 20, 2011
Not psalm 137 please,I mean that psalm wey the make the part of the wicked dark and slippery,that one that says pursue those that pursueth me and over take them,I don forget the chapter but I know say na 13something sha.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:08am On Oct 20, 2011
Image123:

Psalm 109 is a messianic psalm. i.e it's talking about Jesus Christ. It's actually a prayer made by Jesus Christ, not David. If you don't understand it, keep shut, face front
, go look for another chapter, instead of heaping damnation on yourself.
"Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue." (Proverbs 17:28).

Look at this cretin. Either you join the convo with respect or get the hell out of MY thread. Oponu oshi. you are the only one being nasty and rude here, shameless

and how can the psalm be about Jesus Christ?
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:11am On Oct 20, 2011
freecocoa:

Op the bible said"suffer not a witch to live"its not as if someone would just wake up and start using that chapter on anyone,its for the wicked,abeg anyone that doesn't want my peace will not know peace,if anyone has to die for me to become what God has designed then I'll gladly pick up a shovel and start digging the person's grave. Thank you for the chapter sef,I don too use psalm 137,its time to change to psalm 109.

everyone is 'wicked" to Nigerians.

I dont know how anyone can read that as a prayer and not feel like a witch.

There are many other psalms against "enemies" that arent as disgusting
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:15am On Oct 20, 2011
netotse:

@TOH
do you have any idea what proverbs 26:2 says? some people can curse all day and it wont mean a thing, but on the other hand. . .

for me, that psalm was David being real, he felt the emotions and expressed it, some of us feel worse emotions(and even act on them sef) It's not until you've cursed the living daylights out of someone that you've done something wrong/vile you know. . .that said, I dont subscribe to that school of thoughts o, I prefer to leave the cursing to others, people can bring down curses on themselves without anyone having to utter a word (Zech 5:3-4)

This psalm isnt about God though, as its not a summery of things He has done, this is David ASKING him to do these things, that's why I cant stand those fire on the mountain Naija churches where people are praying for someone's death, how are you asking God to forgive you for your sins and using that same nasty mouth to spew curses and asking God to grant them.

They should just go to babalawo and stop fooling themselves.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by Nymphnode(m): 1:17am On Oct 20, 2011
I was under the impression that Job has the best chapters to curse with. How was I to know anyway. . . . rat poison is cheaper
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by Nobody: 1:44am On Oct 20, 2011
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. (Eph 6:12)

The Bible confirm to us that our battle on earth is not like a child's play. So why cant you use all the weapons available in the bible. if u see Any powerful verse than Ps.109. abeg use am jo.

You are talking about love and prayer for enemy when all the enemy is here to do is to kill and to destroy.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:54am On Oct 20, 2011
You are aware that witches and "evil forces" also use this psalm?

It's a psalm used by many followers of Voodoo.

It's not a "christian only secret"
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by adebayo201: 2:38am On Oct 20, 2011
. . . Let's take it serious! It is high time we stoppd read letters cos it killeth!
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by tpia5: 2:58am On Oct 20, 2011
some of the prayers in psalms can only be understood by someone who has experienced what the writer went through.

there are certain heart cries that come out of extreme suffering and despair, and those are very dangerous.

personally, i find revelation far more scary than psalms sha.

the book of daniel also.

we tend to see everything in life as child's play or a fairytale when in actual fact what is going on is more deadly and banal than anyone wants to admit.

For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

all the enemy is here to do is to kill and to destroy

true.

its also possible what the writer mentioned was what his enemies were planning for him. Or had already done.

take the case of Jesus for example.

Because that he remembered not to show mercy

remember to show mercy.

some have entertained angels unawares.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by Gombs(m): 3:01am On Oct 20, 2011
"Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible?", Em OP, i just wanted to ask what you stand to achieve by this thread?

2Tim 3:16-17 KJV "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 that the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works

now,unless you're saying you're smarter than God who inspired Psalms 109 to be in the scriptures.Meanwhile, in that chapter(Psalms 109),according to Paul's second writ to Timothy,You couldnt find a doctrine, or a reproof, or correction,or instruction IN RIGHTEOUSNESS?, Rather,you find it, (i'm out of adjectives), ?

Romans 15:4 NIV "For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us,so that through endurance and the encouragement of the scriptures we might have hope."

Question!, Did you only see David's bitterness in that scripture?, Not his taking his troubles to God?Didnt you read verses 24 to end (which would edify you more on his confidence in God)?. . .What happened to God's promise to Abraham "I'll bless those who bless you and curse those who curse you"? Gen 12:3, Would You then say because David's words were 'harsh' in his bitterness,hence his prayer invalid?
Pls dear,i know Titus 3:9 is about Moses' law,but i hope you'll pick one or two things from them (i hope you do).
Thanks.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by tpia5: 3:13am On Oct 20, 2011
the essence of what Jesus himself taught,  is to love your neighbour as yourself.

and in the new testament, we are also exhorted with 1 Cor 13.

certain things are really too deep to just be handled lightly, so its better to simply stick with the essence of what Jesus himself said.

there are principalities and powers governing this earth which no human can fully comprehend.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by tpia5: 3:16am On Oct 20, 2011
Psalm 130

1 Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O LORD.

2 Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.

3 If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?

4 But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.

5 I wait for the LORD, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.

6 My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning.

7 Let Israel hope in the LORD: for with the LORD there is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption.

8 And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.
Re: Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 3:26am On Oct 20, 2011
Gombs:

"Psalm 109: Why Is It In The Bible?", Em OP, i just wanted to ask what you stand to achieve by this thread?

An understanding. A discussion. I know many of you are zombies that are so afraid to question things and have legiitimate discussion due to fear of being "struck by lightening". My thread isnt for those cowards.

Tpia, thanks.

the essence of what Jesus himself taught, is to love your neighbour as yourself.

Agreed. which is why I dont understand how some Christians quote this psalm in their demonic prayers.
David had his reasons and yes he was being "real" with his emotions, however with the coming of Jesus, no one who claims to be the follower of Christ should have anything to do with that psalm. There's no place for such hateful words IMO unless you wanna denouce the teachings of Jesus

Revelations is scary but it's NOT a prayer. My problem with that psalm and a couple of others(asking God to slam babies against a rock) is that they are seen/written as a prayer.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Is It Wrong To Attend Different Churches? / What Will The Atheists Say After The Rapture? / Difference Between Sex And Romance And Is Romance A Sin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.