Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,139 members, 7,814,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos (3715 Views)

Kellogg To Spend $450M On Business Expansion In Nigeria And West Africa / Survey Shows Expansion In Manufacturing Sector / Polystyrene Beads - Eps Expansion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by ektbear: 10:14pm On Oct 19, 2011
Nigeria: Maersk plans expansion in Lagos

Danish shipping and ports group AP Møller-Maersk is preparing to expand its terminal capacity in Lagos to meet rapidly growing Nigerian import volumes. APM Terminals (APMT) is considering a US$120 million proposal to develop land at its Apapa facility that could eventually be able to handle more than 1m teu a year. [/b]A final decision from corporate HQ in Copenhagen is expected by the end of the year, but local APMT executives in Nigeria are confident that the plan to enlarge the container stacking yard, invest in new equipment and improve the customs area will get the go-ahead. The investment would be part of a much larger commitment by AP Møller-Maersk to the West Africa trades, with the group already spending $2.5 billion on 22 ships purpose-built for this market, plus container equipment.

[b]“We are not here to make a fast profit, we are here for the long-run,” said Maersk Nigeria MD David Skov during a media visit to Lagos.

With half a dozen of the world’s 10 fastest-growing economies in sub-Sahara Africa, Maersk has targeted the region as one of its key markets of the future. So far, six of the first 11 “wafmax” ships have been delivered, with the second series of 11 due in 2013. Two of the vessels will carry the name of sister company Safmarine, which also has a 30% allocation on all the new ships. These are both the first containerships designed specifically for West African ports, where the water depths are relatively shallow, and also the largest in the trade. They are replacing ships of around 2,500teu previously on Maersk Line’s FEWA2 loop between Asia and West Africa. Until now, the largest containerships Nigerian ports could handle were around 3,500teu, but the wafmax vessels, with a shallow draught but wide beam that allows for 17 rows of containers across their decks, are able to come into Apapa almost fully laden.

At the moment, some cargo has to be taken off in Walvis Bay, but very soon the wafmax ships should be able make their first call in Lagos once further dredging to a depth of 13.5 metres has been completed. IFW’s sister publication, Lloyd’s List, reports that plans to raise capacity at the Apapa facility,acquired by APMT in 2006, are being driven by a sharp rise in containerised cargo over the past year as demand recovers from the slump in 2009 when global box liftings shrank. The new ships, with their larger capacity and lower slot costs, have also enabled Maersk to grow its share of the Nigeria trades, with the total container market said to be up by 23% so far this year.

But there are also many impediments to trade, with roads in a dreadful state, no rail freight services and layers of bureaucracy all adding to distribution bottlenecks. However, the Nigerian government has responded to complaints by announcing a few days ago that the number of agencies allowed to inspect cargo in the ports will be cut from 14 to six within a couple of weeks. APMT Apapa, which expects to handle around 650,000teu this year, is effectively full, and the plan is to develop the final 20ha of the 55ha site which is used by lines such as Hapag-Lloyd and MOL, as well as Maersk and Safmarine.

http://www.freshplaza.com/news_detail.asp?id=87792
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by ektbear: 10:22pm On Oct 19, 2011
Never heard of these guys before in my life. Then again, I'm not in this particular business.

$120 mil, not bad.
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by 2mch(m): 10:24pm On Oct 19, 2011
^
Big shipping company wink
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by ektbear: 11:11pm On Oct 19, 2011
^-- Damn:

A.P. Moller – Maersk Group (Danish: A.P. Møller – Mærsk Gruppen), also known as Maersk (Danish: Mærsk), is a Danish business conglomerate.[2] A.P. Moller – Maersk Group has activities in a variety of business sectors, primarily within the transportation and energy sectors. It is the largest container ship operator and supply vessel operator in the world[3] since 1996.[4]
A.P. Moller – Maersk Group is based in Copenhagen, Denmark,[5] with subsidiaries and offices in more than 135 countries worldwide and around 108,000 employees.[1] It ranked 147 on the Fortune Global 500 list for 2010, down from 106 in 2009.[6]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maersk

No be small thing
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by EkoIle1: 11:41pm On Oct 19, 2011
I thought onisha canoe port is taking all the cargo business away from Lagos? I guess not.
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by Desola(f): 11:43pm On Oct 19, 2011
Don't give okoros a heart attack. They don't like such news coming from the west.
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by ektbear: 11:46pm On Oct 19, 2011
Eko Ile:

I thought onisha canoe port is taking all the cargo business away from Lagos? I guess not.

Lol.

River port can never defeat a sea port.

Isn't even worth bothering to respond to such

Anyway, what can we do to improve the roads and rail in the SW so lagos port becomes even more attractive to international shippers like Maersk?

Hmm
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by EkoIle1: 12:20am On Oct 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

Lol.

River port can never defeat a sea port.

Isn't even worth bothering to respond to such

Anyway, what can we do to improve the roads and rail in the SW so lagos port becomes even more attractive to international shippers like Maersk?

Hmm

It's very hard to take them seriously. It's quite understandable that after so many decades of leadership neglect that's still going on, they need something to keep throwing out their to lift themselves up and boost their self esteem and that's why you see all the silly daily SW and SE comparisons. It's a sign of inferiority complex, SW is what they'd love to be, but can never be simply because of their orientation, make up and outlook.

About, the SW roads and rail systems, the fact that many of the state's in the SW are taking the bull by the horn with different transportation initiatives like Lagos and their metro rail which is def' going to pull a lot of cars off the road, the 10 lane Badagry express to handle ECOWAS commerce.

Ogun just Awarded a Six-lane Road Contract. The NRC is now hauling cement in Ogun State

Ekiti also awarded N899m road contracts for Ado-Ilawe Road and Ado-Afao Road

And we've all seen Arebge's determination with rail cargo and road transportation.

Obviously, more needs to be done, but these guys are not sleeping, development is their main currency with the electorates so I don't think they are about to let up.
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by Desola(f): 12:36am On Oct 20, 2011
Eko Ile:

It's very hard to take them seriously. It's quite understandable that after so many decades of leadership neglect that's still going on, they need something to keep throwing out their to lift themselves up and boost their self esteem and that's why you see all the silly daily SW and SE comparisons. It's a sign of inferiority complex, SW is what they'd love to be, but can never be simply because of their orientation, make up and outlook.

About, the SW roads and rail systems, the fact that many of the state's in the SW are taking the bull by the horn with different transportation initiatives like Lagos and their metro rail which is def' going to pull a lot of cars off the road, the 10 lane Badagry express to handle ECOWAS commerce.

Ogun just Awarded a Six-lane Road Contract. The NRC is now hauling cement in Ogun State

Ekiti also awarded N899m road contracts for Ado-Ilawe Road and Ado-Afao Road

And we've all seen Arebge's determination with rail cargo and road transportation.

Obviously, more needs to be done, but these guys are not sleeping, development is their main currency with the electorates so I don't think they are about to let up.

Aside the 'acting' governor of Lagos state - His excellency Babatunde Raji Fashola, I still remain to be convinced by the others. So far, they have done a lot of talking with little evidence of their proposal. I want to see pictures of works being carried out just as I can easily reach into the archives to pull out photographic evidences of 'Fash's' work.

All others need to stop riding on Fash's glory and just deliver!
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by EkoIle1: 12:41am On Oct 20, 2011
Desola:

Aside the 'acting' governor of Lagos state - His excellency Babatunde Raji Fashola, I still remain to be convinced by the others. So far, they have done a lot of talking with little evidence of their proposal. I want to see pictures of works being carried out just as I can easily reach into the archives to pull out photographic evidences of 'Fash's' work.

All others need to stop riding on Fash's glory and just deliver!

I see where you're coming from and I do agree with you, but the fact is, these states were all under corrupt and incompetent people just a few months ago and they don't have Fashola's 20 billion/Month IGR to play with. They can not function beyond their pockets, they just need to improve trade and commerce and boost their IGR.
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by Desola(f): 12:55am On Oct 20, 2011
It would be myopic of me to neglect the IGR at Fash's disposal. Nevertheless, i'm not in anyway placing the other Western states on par with Fash or expecting the same goods as is being delivered by Fash. I just want to see a project which have been harped on about to see the light of day. I want them to quit being just 'sayers' but to become doers. Aregbe needs no more time to deliver, the time is now! He doesn't even have to bring in these new cargo rails he talked about just yet, but to do something tangible. I do commend him for meeting and surpassing the minimum wage requirement but so far, that is all I can allude to him but that didn't go without some protest (although we know that PDP machinery were/are at work).

If Fashola can do this much in less than 6 years, then I believe that the other states can deliver half of a quater of what he (Fash) has done so far. It's time to start requesting the dividend of our votes and the trust we have placed in their capabilities.

Come on! What would it take to deliver in states with much less population than Lagos? PDP or not, these people should sit up and give us something to sing about.
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by arsenefc: 1:03am On Oct 20, 2011
Desola:

It would be myopic of me to neglect the IGR at Fash's disposal. Nevertheless, i'm not in anyway placing the other Western states on par with Fash or expecting the same goods as is being delivered by Fash. I just want to see a project which have been harped on about to see the light of day. I want them to quit being just 'sayers' but to become doers. Aregbe needs no more time to deliver, the time is now! He doesn't even have to bring in these new cargo rails he talked about just yet, but to do something tangible. I do commend him for meeting and surpassing the minimum wage requirement but so far, that is all I can allude to him but that didn't go without some protest (although we know that PDP machinery were/are at work).

If Fashola can do this much in less than 6 years, then I believe that the other states can deliver half of a quater of what he (Fash) has done so far. It's time to start requesting the dividend of our votes and the trust we have placed in their capabilities.

Come on! What would it take to deliver in states with much less population than Lagos? PDP or not, these people should sit up and give us something to sing about.

Expect Eko ole to start calling you names now that you've seen the light and now in on the ACN propaganda.

Odua a gbe a ooooo

May you walk and never k'ose
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by Desola(f): 1:09am On Oct 20, 2011
arsenefc:

Expect Eko ole to start calling you names now that you've seen the light and now in on the ACN propaganda.

Odua a gbe a ooooo

Oloribushan ara orun ki kin ki! You should just find a corner to slump and die!
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by EkoIle1: 1:13am On Oct 20, 2011
Desola:

Let's be realistic here, they've only been in office for six months or less. They all have projects in the pipeline so give the projects some room to materialize, asking for hard and completed projects six months after taking office sounds a little unrealistic.
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by EkoIle1: 1:15am On Oct 20, 2011
Desola:

Why waste your time with that clown? I don't even pay attention to that nuisance, that thing is on my ignore list.
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by arsenefc: 1:16am On Oct 20, 2011
^^^
Desola:

Awon to n do ( ati awon to n fooo e) e, lolori bushun

Ode, akindanidani obinrin.

Se omo leyi, abi nkan obe

Omo to ye ti iya ti fi se nkan osu danudanu.

A n be soo, o n se kandakanda. Omo ta ba n bawi, to n warun ki, osetan to fe parun ni yen.

May you walk and stumble from now to the end of your days!

Oti sise bayi oooooooooooo.
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by aljharem3: 1:17am On Oct 20, 2011
arsenefc:

Odua a gbe a ooooo

LOL
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by ezeagu(m): 1:19am On Oct 20, 2011
I didn't notice Onitsha was mentioned in the article? lipsrsealed
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by EkoIle1: 1:45am On Oct 20, 2011
ezeagu:

And so what? Have you arrogated to yourself the sole right to utter the names of towns and villages in Nigeria?
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by arsenefc: 2:06am On Oct 20, 2011
Eko Ile:

And so what? Have you arrogated to yourself the sole right to utter the names of towns and villages in Nigeria?

Yes, just as how you've arrogated BAT's dyck to your filthy mouth.
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by naijaking1: 3:03am On Oct 20, 2011
ezeagu:

Eko Ile:

Now I understand it, you two need to get married cheesy
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by PROUDIGBO(m): 3:18am On Oct 20, 2011
naijaking1:

Now I understand it, you two need to get married cheesy

^^^That may be a bit tricky undecided: they're both dudes shocked. Seeing how they don't get along, the night of the wedding would be a boxing match, as someones got to lay down first shocked.
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by EkoIle1: 3:30am On Oct 20, 2011
Lagos Govt honours Maersk Nigeria

Maersk Nigeria Limited has been honoured by the Lagos State Government for its contribution towards the development of education in the state.

The company on Tuesday bagged the Lagos State Government, Ministry of Education 2010 Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) award.

Maersk Nigeria clinched the award for the reconstruction of two blocks of six classrooms and six toilets at the State Primary School in Apapa in 2010.

Speaking at the award ceremony, Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Raji Fashola represented by the Deputy Governor, Princess Sarah Adebisi Sosan, said that the state was impressed by the gesture of the company for identifying education as one area that will help in the sustenance of any state.

“Two years ago, this administration brought the support our schools initiative before you as a vehicle for you to support the education sector.
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by otokx(m): 10:01am On Oct 20, 2011
Always future tense talk that comes to nought.
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by Konjour(m): 10:30am On Oct 20, 2011
Will be a welcome development. Have sailed on a couple of Maersk PANAMAX ships and they are the real deal.

They boast of having the largest container ships on the planet in their fleet. Simply one of the best you can find,and making Nigeria

a pivotal point in their shippings to West Africa would be symbiotic.

But that its not all talk and nothing more remains to be seen. Here's to hoping they make good their quotes. cool
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by dannie04: 11:04am On Oct 20, 2011
Eko Ile:

Let's be realistic here, they've only been in office for six months or less. They all have projects in the pipeline so give the projects some room to materialize, asking for hard and completed projects six months after taking office sounds a little unrealistic.

yet you will be very quick to condemn GEJ in office apart from fashola these other guys are just talking and doing nothing.they should stop resting on fashola's achievement
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by EkoIle1: 12:31pm On Oct 20, 2011
dannie04:

yet you will be very quick to condemn GEJ in office apart from fashola these other guys are just talking and doing nothing.they should stop resting on fashola's achievement

GEJ was once a governor and deputy governor, tell us one single thing he achieved or delivered to his people? Just one?
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by dannie04: 1:37pm On Oct 20, 2011
sad shocked shocked shocked embarassed
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by dannie04: 1:41pm On Oct 20, 2011
Eko Ile:

GEJ was once a governor and deputy governor, tell us one single thing he achieved or delivered to his people? Just one?

Its high time we stopped commending governors or politicians with plans which are usually not enough.Policy making or decision making can  not be rightly said to be the problem of Nigeria.The main problem has always been implementation so lets wait for these other SW governors to implement whatever ideas they have before applauding them because I'm tired of their regular "BOBOing"
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by manny4life(m): 5:54pm On Oct 20, 2011
ekt_bear:

Never heard of these guys before in my life. Then again, I'm not in this particular business.

$120 mil, not bad.

AP Møller-Maersk is the largest shipping conglomerate in the world; they are the ones that have these mega shipping vessels capable of carrying up to 15,000 TEU's. They are a large company and investing that amount is huge. I guess they see more importation from the Nigerian side. 

Eko Ile:

lol, that just shows how intelligent you are

How long has Lagos port been operating? Ok when you do the stats and the money involved, add that same amount to Onistha "River Canoe" port, and you will see the difference.
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by ssemire(f): 8:10pm On Oct 20, 2011
guys, it is not always necessary to resort to vulgarity.

on the maersk thing, thumbs up to them. Nigeria is an industrial country waiting to happen if only the government will make infrastructures happen and stop awarding ridiculously pricey contracts to their 'feefu'
Re: Maersk Plans Expansion In Lagos by moreprof: 8:19pm On Oct 20, 2011
This is good for biz in Naija.!

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Get My Lost National I.D Card Replaced? / Black Belt MLM Recruiting Strategy That Rocks Revealed. / Learn More About Online, Digital And Social Media Marketing Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.