Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,475 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:11 AM

Tame Your Tongue - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Tame Your Tongue (1067 Views)

Photo: How To Tame Your Noisy Kids In Church / Must A Christian Speak In Tongue Before He Could Make Heaven? / Tame Your Flesh (by Kenneth Hagin) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tame Your Tongue by HISchild: 7:51am On Oct 20, 2011
A humble exhortation containing Holy Scriptures exhorting all re: our tongue(s), our speech

"A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it!" - Proverbs 15:23

"O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." - Matthew 12:34-37

"[b]And he called the multitude, and said unto them, Hear, and understand: Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man. Then came his disciples, and said unto him, Knowest thou that the Pharisees were offended, after they heard this saying? But he answered and said, Every plant, which my heavenly Father hath not planted, shall be rooted up. Let them alone: they be blind leaders of the blind. And if the blind lead the blind, both shall fall into the ditch. Then answered Peter and said unto him, Declare unto us this parable. And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding? Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught? But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.[/b]" - Matthew 15:10-20, (also see, Luke 6:44-45)

"If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain." - James 1:26

Nature of the tongue -
"[b]My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body. Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth. Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth! And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell. For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind: But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh." - James 3: 1-12

Cautions
"Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD. What man is he that desireth life, and loveth many days, that he may see good? Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile. Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." - Psalm 34:11-14

"I said, I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me." - Psalm 39:1

"If I justify myself, mine own mouth shall condemn me: if I say, I am perfect, it shall also prove me perverse." - Job 9:20

"Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee." - Proverbs 4:24

"Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles" - Proverbs 21:23

"Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." - Ephesians 4:29

"For which things' sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth." - Colossians 3:6-8

"And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him. These are murmurers, complainers, walking after their own lusts; and their mouth speaketh great swelling words, having men's persons in admiration because of advantage." - Jude 1:14-16

"For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:" - 1 Peter 3:10

Speech of the mercifully redeemed of the Lord - the saved / "righteous" - The LORD is our Righteousness
"Lord, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill? He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart. He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbor." - Psalm 15:1-3

"Let them shout for joy, and be glad, that favour my righteous cause: yea, let them say continually, Let the LORD be magnified, which hath pleasure in the prosperity of his servant. And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long" - Psalm 35:27-28

"The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever. The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh of judgment. The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide." - Psalm 37:29-31

"Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God."- Psalm 50:23

"Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, thou God of my salvation: and my tongue shall sing aloud of thy righteousness. O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise." - Psalm 51:14-15

"I will also praise thee with the psaltery, even thy truth, O my God: unto thee will I sing with the harp, O thou Holy One of Israel. My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing unto thee; and my soul, which thou hast redeemed. My tongue also shall talk of thy righteousness all the day long: for they are confounded, for they are brought unto shame, that seek my hurt." - Psalm 71:22-24

"Let my supplication come before thee: deliver me according to thy word. My lips shall utter praise, when thou hast taught me thy statutes. My tongue shall speak of thy word: for all thy commandments are righteousness." - Psalm 119:170-172

"She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness." - Proverbs 31:26

"I will greatly praise the LORD with my mouth; yea, I will praise him among the multitude." Psalm 109:30

"My mouth shall speak the praise of the LORD: and let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever." - Psalm 145:21

Speech of the unredeemed / unsaved / "wicked"
"These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."- Proverbs 6:16-19

"The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts. His ways are always grievous; thy judgments are far above out of his sight: as for all his enemies, he puffeth at them. He hath said in his heart, I shall not be moved: for I shall never be in adversity. His mouth is full of cursing and deceit and fraud: under his tongue is mischief and vanity." - Psalm 10:4-7

"The tongue deviseth mischiefs; like a sharp razor, working deceitfully. Thou lovest evil more than good; and lying rather than to speak righteousness. Selah. Thou lovest all devouring words, O thou deceitful tongue." - Psalm 52:2-4

"Hide me from the secret counsel of the wicked; from the insurrection of the workers of iniquity: Who whet their tongue like a sword, and bend their bows to shoot their arrows, even bitter words: That they may shoot in secret at the perfect: suddenly do they shoot at him, and fear not. They encourage themselves in an evil matter: they commune of laying snares privily; they say, Who shall see them? They search out iniquities; they accomplish a diligent search: both the inward thought of every one of them, and the heart, is deep. But God shall shoot at them with an arrow; suddenly shall they be wounded. So they shall make their own tongue to fall upon themselves: all that see them shall flee away." - Psalm 64:2-8

"When he slew them, then they sought him: and they returned and enquired early after God. And they remembered that God was their rock, and the high God their redeemer. Nevertheless they did flatter him with their mouth, and they lied unto him with their tongues. For their heart was not right with him, neither were they stedfast in his covenant. But he, being full of compassion, forgave their iniquity, and destroyed them not: yea, many a time turned he his anger away, and did not stir up all his wrath." - Psalm 78:34-38

"[b]Hold not thy peace, O God of my praise; For the mouth of the wicked and the mouth of the deceitful are opened against me: they have spoken against me with a lying tongue. They compassed me about also with words of hatred; and fought against me without a cause. For my love they are my adversaries: but I give myself unto prayer.
" - Psalm 109:1-4

"In my distress I cried unto the LORD, and he heard me. Deliver my soul, O LORD, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue. What shall be given unto thee? or what shall be done unto thee, thou false tongue?" - Psalm 120:1-3

"He that hath a froward heart findeth no good: and he that hath a perverse tongue falleth into mischief."- Proverbs 17:20

"The getting of treasures by a lying tongue is a vanity tossed to and fro of them that seek death."- Proverbs 21:6

"Behold, the LORD's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. For your hands are defiled with blood, and your fingers with iniquity; your lips have spoken lies, your tongue hath muttered perverseness. None calleth for justice, nor any pleadeth for truth: they trust in vanity, and speak lies; they conceive mischief, and bring forth iniquity." - Isaiah 59:1-4

Flattery
"A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth worketh ruin" - Proverbs 26:28

"Lead me, O LORD, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face. For there is no faithfulness in their mouth; their inward part is very wickedness; their throat is an open sepulchre; they flatter with their tongue." - Psalm 5:8-9

"Help, LORD; for the godly man ceaseth; for the faithful fail from among the children of men. They speak vanity every one with his neighbour: with flattering lips and with a double heart do they speak. The LORD shall cut off all flattering lips, and the tongue that speaketh proud things: Who have said, With our tongue will we prevail; our lips are our own: who is lord over us?" - Psalm 12:1-4

"For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life: To keep thee from the evil woman, from the flattery of the tongue of a strange woman. Lust not after her beauty in thine heart; neither let her take thee with her eyelids" - Proverbs 6:23-25

"A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth worketh ruin."- Proverbs 26:28

Speech comparison ( between righteous in The LORD GOD / The Lord JESUS CHRIST & the unredeemed / unsaved
"The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness. The eyes of the LORD are in every place, beholding the evil and the good. A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit." - Proverbs 15:2-4

"The mouth of a righteous man is a well of life: but violence covereth the mouth of the wicked." - Proverbs 10:11

"The mouth of the just bringeth forth wisdom: but the froward tongue shall be cut out. The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable: but the mouth of the wicked speaketh frowardness." - Proverbs 10:31-32

"The words of the wicked are to lie in wait for blood: but the mouth of the upright shall deliver them." - Proverbs 12:6

"There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health. The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment." - Proverbs 12:18-19

"A man shall eat good by the fruit of his mouth: but the soul of the transgressors shall eat violence. He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction." - Proverbs 13:2-3

"In the mouth of the foolish is a rod of pride: but the lips of the wise shall preserve them." - Proverbs 14:3

"The tongue of the wise useth knowledge aright: but the mouth of fools poureth out foolishness." Proverbs 15:2-4

"The words of a man's mouth are as deep waters, and the wellspring of wisdom as a flowing brook. It is not good to accept the person of the wicked, to overthrow the righteous in judgment. A fool's lips enter into contention, and his mouth calleth for strokes. A fool's mouth is his destruction, and his lips are the snare of his soul." - Proverbs 18:4-7

"The words of a wise man's mouth are gracious; but the lips of a fool will swallow up himself. The beginning of the words of his mouth is foolishness: and the end of his talk is mischievous madness." - Ecclesiastes 10:12-13

Thus,
"A man's belly shall be satisfied with the fruit of his mouth; and with the increase of his lips shall he be filled." - Proverbs 18:20
Re: Tame Your Tongue by Joagbaje(m): 9:23am On Oct 20, 2011
Wonderful message . Whatever controls a mans tongue controls his entire life
Re: Tame Your Tongue by HISchild: 11:41am On Oct 20, 2011
friend, to GOD be all the thanks, praise and glory.

smiley
Re: Tame Your Tongue by Nobody: 12:26pm On Oct 20, 2011
Joagbaje:

Wonderful message . Whatever controls a mans tongue controls his entire life

Is using the tongue to preach heresies also a bad thing
Re: Tame Your Tongue by Joagbaje(m): 12:54pm On Oct 20, 2011
Yes it's a baad thing. And you should repent of it. cool

(1) (Reply)

Atheists most beloved , please watch this video and tell me how this happened / Is It Okay To Give Less Than 10% Of Your Monthly Income As Tithe? / This Land Is Not For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.