Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,436 members, 7,819,589 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? (12425 Views)

Elders Bowing for 17-Year-Old Delta-King Chukwuka-Akaeze I / Colourful Reed Dance And Cultural Celebration That Promotes Respect For Women / which nigerian tribe respect elders more(with poll) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by htajz: 5:59pm On Oct 21, 2011
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Aladinn(m): 6:00pm On Oct 21, 2011
Did i hear u say keep wallowing in ignorant delusion? I laff in french.
Its a pity u just want 2 remain blinded by ur own delusion of grandeur or envy. Anyway, u can use a stick 2 guide d blinded u. Wuld provide dat if u want.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Afam4eva(m): 6:02pm On Oct 21, 2011
Aladinn:

Did i hear u say keep wallowing in ignorant delusion? I laff in french.
Its a pity u just want 2 remain blinded by your own delusion of grandeur or envy. Anyway, u can use a stick 2 guide d blinded u. Wuld provide dat if u want.

Pls quote whoever it is you're referring to.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 21, 2011
Respect is relative. 'Respect' also means tolerating people who are different from you. Think bigger unless you want to stay rooted in your little world, learn to understand and work easily with people different from you - that is respect.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by xtoph1: 6:33pm On Oct 21, 2011
i 've just joined this forum n i've noticed that tribal sentiments n religious differences are always affiliated to almost everything/thread about nigeria/nigerians n these are some of our major problems. it's high time we start re-shaping our minds towards mutual respect even in d midst of disagreements n accepting people 4 who or what they are.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by johndavid1(m): 6:36pm On Oct 21, 2011
divine2043:

Respect is relative. 'Respect' also means tolerating people who are different from you. Think bigger unless you want to stay rooted in your little world, learn to understand and work easily with people different from you - that is respect.
Gbamm!
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Oct 21, 2011
xtoph, I think you re-echo my thoughts. It is remarkable that in 2011 people still think this way. The quality of posts of here is shocking many times. I mean splitting hairs over issues like tribe.

That's just remarkable.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Agybabe(f): 7:32pm On Oct 21, 2011
Although i am nt a yoruba gal bt i am 4rm cross river state bt i av live a beta part of my lyf in yoruba land n sm few tym in oda place n i do meet wit different folks. I av cum 2 a conclusion dat yoruba r most repectful 2 elders dan oda tribes. Bt now d juju don dey clear 4 them eyes o. Lolz.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by xtoph1: 7:49pm On Oct 21, 2011
divine, let me 1st n foremost tender my apologies. i should 've given kudos 2 your thoughts because it just goes2 show that there r still nigerians out there home n abroad that possess a very pure mental exposure.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:07pm On Oct 21, 2011
All these people spewing this trash here are very,very ignorant of the true YORUBA people. These are people I grew up and played with while in lagos,and also speak their language.
Let me tell u;the reason why some people who live in southwest think yoruba people are respectful is simply because they POSTRATE.
Igbo people dont need to postrate to u before u understand they respect you.We Igbos show it through our  ATTITUDE.
And dont even phucking tell me yoruba people show more respect more than the HAUSA's.
Ultimately,respect is an individual thing that comes from how u were nutured. I have seen countless yoruba kids who greet their mother "ekaro" in the morning and call her "iya aje" in the evenning. If the yorubas has so much respect,how come they have the highest number of women who bore a child outside WEDLUCK? How come they have all those street agberos beating up old men in Igbo traders and yorubas included?
Yoruba people have no significant respect; they just POSTRATE more than everybody.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by NRIPRIEST(m): 8:19pm On Oct 21, 2011
I had a good friend by the name lukmon and we use to hang at my house all the time. He will greet my mother with "good morning" without bowing,and I will go to his house and greet his mother with "goodmorning" and the woman will start abusing me in their language.
I really think this poster dont know the true definition of "respect". He just want to give some undue attention to his tribes people. Deluded fool!
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by ezer(m): 8:34pm On Oct 21, 2011
Hmmmm, this another post aimed at tribalism, way to go Yoruba afterall its ur hubby, one crazed out yoruba pepper selller cursed the hell outta my mum the other, so this isn't the right timing for this post for me cos there's no way am gonna agree its yoruba, I would say CALABAR cos they r very peaceful,hospitable n respectful people, with honest mind set unlike the Yorubas.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by yme1(f): 8:39pm On Oct 21, 2011
The Edo's kiss
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by nasoeb: 8:46pm On Oct 21, 2011
Yaraba my yansh. this ugly set of people always say shiit, not knowing the difference between respect (which is relative) to culture. that yaraba prostrate doesn't mean they respect you, it is only embedded as a way of culture that when they see someone older they should do that timid stuff.

respect is not just by physical expression but encompasses more of attitudinal capacity which makes you know you dont only respect him/her on sight but by thought, behaviour, verbal response, aids,

take this instance;
A yaraba man sees an old man who barely walks only by aid of a stick to support himself and a yaraba guy comes across him and by his timid way of life prostrate "ekaro" the man says thank you and the yaraba fellow walks out.

And, an Ijaw, Igbo, Ogoni, Efik, who sees the old man greats him (Not prostrating) asked him if he is okay and offer to assist him either by holding/guarding him or offer to get him a cab.

whose respect is more valuable or have "more respect for elder"
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by nasoeb: 8:53pm On Oct 21, 2011
these yarabas are one dirty foools. sometimes i wonder if they have brains or if they give them all Expired Drugs every morning. sooooooo fooolish

can not differentiate between culture and respect.

they should be ranking 1 at the most DISRESPECTFUL tribe in Nigeria/ the World
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by youngwiz(m): 9:00pm On Oct 21, 2011
Walahi, it's the NUPE. No matter who you are, even if your a teenager, you will be respected. Did i hear people saying Yoruba? Plsss, yoruba's don't have such a define respect to themselve. Even the Hausa's are better than them. Now let me see the bashing rolling in, Peace out!
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by ezer(m): 9:02pm On Oct 21, 2011
Hahaha!, I laugh in libya!
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by publisher(m): 9:38pm On Oct 21, 2011
[size=15pt]REALLY? YORUBAS GIVE MORE RESPECT TO THEIR ELDERS? shocked
That explains why you'll see old Yoruba people living in shacks with their numerous grand children wearing pant and roaming the streets. But as soon as this old yoruba elder dies,u'll first see 2 cows infront of his/her rundown building,with workmen rushing to renovate the building. Thats when u'll see the london based children showing up from left right and centre. Most of the old (non hausa) beggars i've seen in Lagos and Ibadan are Yoruba people. I have hardly ever seen a sane old igbo beggar in Owerri or Onitsha. Most (not all) Yorubas DONT respect their elders they are only good at eye service.

Igbos only respect elders who behave like elders.[/size] grin grin
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 21, 2011
yoruba
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by NRIPRIEST(m): 10:11pm On Oct 21, 2011
Everybody here should understand that yoruba people prostrate but that doesnt mean respect,its only a way of greeting. I think the topic should be AMONG NIGERIAN TRIBES WHO IS MORE RESPECTFUL ??
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Limaoscar: 10:16pm On Oct 21, 2011
CERTAINLY NOT THE IBOS(THEY RESPECT YOUR FINANCIAL STATUS)

AND NOT THE HAUSAS (THEY FEAR/WORSHIP THEIR ELDERS)

THE YORUBAS HAVE AND SHOW RESPECT (THEY 'RE VERY THEATRICAL ABOUT IT TOO, even when the guy is speaking on phone and the elder can't see him, it shows in His vocals and His body language)
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Toshibasexy(m): 10:19pm On Oct 21, 2011
Why are you people so biased when it comes to saying the truth? Only one question will say it all, which tribe other than yoruba use to call his elderly ones brother or sister? Or na igbo wey everybody is called chime without knowing the elderly ones between the younger ones and the older ones or hausa? I need an answer to this from you guys.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by AndreUweh(m): 10:32pm On Oct 21, 2011
Toshibasexy:

Why are you people so biased when it comes to saying the truth? Only one question will say it all, which tribe other than yoruba use to call his elderly ones brother or sister? Or na igbo wey everybody is called chime without knowing the elderly ones between the younger ones and the older ones or hausa? I need an answer to this from you guys.
Quit chatting crap here. It is an outright stupitdity for one to comment about a group that s/he has no sufficient knowledge of. The Igbo usually call elders dede, dee, nda. Some parts of Anambra, Enugu and Anioma are not used to dee or dede but usually say Uncle Uche, Brother Uche etc.
In Obowu, Isinweke and Nsu areas of Igboland, it is WUNEOKO, BOBO, BAABA, YEYE, DEEDE and DEE.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Miracleojo(m): 10:46pm On Oct 21, 2011
nasoeb:

these yarabas are one dirty foools. sometimes i wonder if they have brains or if they give them all Expired Drugs every morning. sooooooo fooolish

can not differentiate between culture and respect.

they should be ranking 1 at the most DISRESPECTFUL tribe in Nigeria/ the World
what more disrespect is more than this.when you can blast a whole tribe like this.u are not a yoruba thats sure but all the same not a good igbo cos i av a considerable number of respectful igbo friends
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Kc3000: 10:57pm On Oct 21, 2011
During an attempt to reconcile Akintola and Awolowo, Bros Akin took the high road and prostrated, when Pa Awo allegedly KICKED HIM IN THE HEAD. shocked Guys, when una dey prostrate, try use one eye dey watch the chairman for your front sha, make dey no use person head dey play freekick!!!!!!!
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by ezer(m): 11:25pm On Oct 21, 2011
Limaoscar:
CERTAINLY NOT THE IBOS(THEY RESPECT YOUR FINANCIAL STATUS)

AND NOT THE HAUSAS (THEY FEAR/WORSHIP THEIR ELDERS)

THE YORUBAS HAVE AND SHOW RESPECT (THEY 'RE VERY THEATRICAL ABOUT IT TOO, even when the guy is speaking on phone and the elder can't see him, it shows in His vocals and His body language)

Awww!, it must really feel elating to assume the Yorubas r d most respectful ba?, well disagree with u if u say in prostrating, but respectful? HELL to the NO!
Yorubas r d most despicable human beings.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Oct 21, 2011
this topic has been treated before just like the tribe with more beautiful women in Nigeria, 

the both should be about personalities not tribe

maybe this can help,
meaning of respect
1. To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem.
2. To avoid violation of or interference with:
3. To relate
or refer to; concern.

NT: that a group of people kneel before their elders to greet is not being respect but (maybe) showing respect.
     that a group seem more faire than the other group does nt mean beauty,

guys pls stop all these nonsense!
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by AndreUweh(m): 11:46pm On Oct 21, 2011
Kc3000:

During an attempt to reconcile Akintola and Awolowo, Bros Akin took the high road and prostrated, when Pa Awo allegedly KICKED HIM IN THE HEAD. shocked Guys, when una dey prostrate, try use one eye dey watch the chairman for your front sha, make dey no use person head dey play freekick!!!!!!!
This is funny. Too bad on Awo's part.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by odumchi: 12:16am On Oct 22, 2011
Personally, I'd say Igbos have the Utmost sense of respect for elders.

For example in Igbo culture if an elder is disrespected or
Pushed down by a youth, the offender must provide a fowl, a keg of palmwine and some tubers of yam (in some places a goat).

Also, Igbo communities were ruled by an oligarchy of elders upon whose counsel the community survived.
Another thing is greetings. When greeting an elder or conversing, you must show adequate respect and insert the term "Mazi" (a title for someone who's father is no longer alive) which is roughly the equivalent of "sir".

In Igbo culture, before a major decision is made, the eldest males of the family (known as ummuna or ndi ichie) must be consulted. Well that's my perspective.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by dayokanu(m): 12:21am On Oct 22, 2011
NRI PRIEST:

If the yorubas has so much respect,how come they have the highest number of women who bore a child outside WEDLUCK?

You deserve a nobel prize for your ability to link respect with Children out of Wedlock.
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by blackmale(m): 12:36am On Oct 22, 2011
yourubas,,,,,, no doubt,
Re: Respect For Elders: Who Does It More/better? by dublinkmy6: 2:19am On Oct 22, 2011
EVERY tribe respects their elders. I can understand why ppl vote for the yorubas. Thhey POSTRATE, which is quite unique to them as a CULTURE. Because they've been brought up to bow and postrate does not, in any phoking way, mean that they have more respect than the other guy who have been brought up to stand and greet.
It's just a difference in culture and just as much as the yoruba elders are happy with their bowing/kneeling sons and daughters, so also the igbo elders are equally happy with childrens mode of greeting they way their culture allows them to. By the way, what most of us are refering to on this thread is GREETING STYLE and it is different from RESPECT.
Respect is a personal thing and the best way of judging which tribe respects more is to notice how they relate to their age mates and even juniors. This will tell you more about the people and their ideology. To me, if you want to respect me, do it in my absence then one day i will come to know about your attitude in my absence and i will value you more than the man who does eye service in my presence then goes ahead to abuse/disrespects me in my absence.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Can I Learn Chinese In Lagos / I Am African, My Boyfriend Is IGBO, Can We Make It? Help Me Please. / Should We Promote Nigerian Languages More?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.