Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:03 AM

One Spouse Policy? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / One Spouse Policy? (5457 Views)

FG Probes Swiss Envoy Over ‘gay Spouse’ / Jonathan’s Economic Policy ‘failing’ — UN / Ndubuisi Ekekwe (Afrit) On Africa's Infotech Policy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: One Spouse Policy? by emofine(f): 7:45am On Oct 21, 2011
namfav:

my suggestion is you have to curb teenage pregnancies if you want to stop that, once a person starts having children young they dont stop soon, teen pregnancies is prevalent in nigeria, i am sure that all our parents started having kids before 23

our population growth has nothing to do with polygamy, if you look the north and the south both regions have families that are big in most households

Fair points and duly noted.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by namfav(m): 7:46am On Oct 21, 2011
freedom is subjective, what is freedom to some is not to others, i cannot say the same about dignity or morality, people do the bad things even for the hell of it

Ileke-IdI:

Nothing is worst than underaged marriage. Atleast most of these teenage sex is consensual.

Nothing worst than having your freedom stripped away from you in such a young age.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by Nobody: 7:52am On Oct 21, 2011
namfav:

freedom is subjective, what is freedom to some is not to others, i cannot say the same about dignity or morality, people do the bad things even for the hell of it

What is dignifying or morally "right" in underaged marriage?
How then is freedom defined in your society?
Re: One Spouse Policy? by namfav(m): 8:03am On Oct 21, 2011
school children Being Intimate know it is wrong to do so but they can also argue that they dont have the freedom to do what they want
marriage, irrespective of the age involved, deserves respect, honour and understanding between those involved, that is dignity and as for morality, marriage has been important to everyone, there is nothing wrong (morally) with marriage (if it is forced then it is wrong), when you think you can handle marriage then marriage has no age, it is a mutual thing, people are not silly what is important is the law, if it is legal age in certain law (to us we call fiqh) then each society has its own understandings

Ileke-IdI:

What is dignifying or morally "right" in underaged marriage?
How then is freedom defined in your society?
Re: One Spouse Policy? by Nobody: 8:23am On Oct 21, 2011
namfav:

school children Being Intimate know it is wrong to do so but they can also argue that they dont have the freedom to do what they want
marriage, irrespective of the age involved, deserves respect, honour and understanding between those involved, that is dignity and as for morality, marriage has been important to everyone, there is nothing wrong (morally) with marriage (if it is forced then it is wrong), when you think you can handle marriage then marriage has no age, it is a mutual thing, people are not silly what is important is the law, if it is legal age in certain law (to us we call fiqh) then each society has its own understandings

There is marriage and then there is marriage. Give those children the opportunity to choose who they want to marry. It should not be a "privilege", it should be based on individual rights.

Teenage intimacy is not legalized, it can be changed with the right social movement. Underaged marriage is legalized within a CERTAIN society, justified within  religious and cultural shackles. That is worse than teenage intimacy, which is at most times consensual, within individual rights.

Being sold on a platter to the richest grandpapa defies dignity, honor, and respect. A 13 years old knows or an underage does not know what is right or what is wrong if she does not understand what to expect in marriage, she only understand that her religion and culture expects her to accept forceful marriage. There is no true understanding.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by namfav(m): 8:32am On Oct 21, 2011
do you think that teenage marriages, which by the way are becoming less and less, is worse than underaged students sleeping around? or students at our big universities being mistresses thes days?

Ileke-IdI:

There is marriage and then there is marriage. Give those children the opportunity to choose who they want to marry. It should not be a "privilege", it should be based on individual rights.

Teenage intimacy is not legalized, it can be changed with the right social movement. Underaged marriage is legalized within a CERTAIN society, justified within  religious and cultural shackles. That is worse than teenage intimacy, which is at most times consensual, within individual rights.

Being sold on a platter to the richest grandpapa defies dignity, honor, and respect. A 13 years old knows or an underage does not know what is right or what is wrong if she does not understand what to expect in marriage, she only understand that her religion and culture expects her to accept forceful marriage. There is no true understanding.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 21, 2011
namfav:

do you think that teenage marriages, which by the way are becoming less and less, is worse than underaged students sleeping around? or students at our big universities being mistresses thes days?

Really? Is that so? Teenage marriages are becoming less and less? Care to show me a statistical evidence?
Anything forceful is second to none. Let's wat till it ends, then we can compare it to teenage pregnancies.
A country with no value in one aspect, will jeopardize the other aspects' aspects.
Let's first make teenage marriage unlawful, then we can build up value for our teenage children.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by namfav(m): 8:54am On Oct 21, 2011
i dont have the statistics, but be asured that it is becoming less and less these days
so you are just against the forced aspects, what if it is not forced?

Ileke-IdI:

Really? Is that so? Teenage marriages are becoming less and less? Care to show me a statistical evidence?
Anything forceful is second to none. Let's wat till it ends, then we can compare it to teenage pregnancies.
A country with no value in one aspect, will jeopardize the other aspects' aspects.
Let's first make teenage marriage unlawful, then we can build up value for our teenage children.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by Nobody: 10:09am On Oct 21, 2011
How can we reduce population growth? , it's simple, we just have to empower women in our society.

1, Every girl has to be at least educated to post-secondary school level. ( Should apply to both sexes)

2. The legal age for marriage should be 18 throughout the federation ( under-age marriage in the north and other parts of the country should be stopped)

2, Women who are willing to set up any form of business should find it easier to obtain loans. Esp women in rural areas that are willing to engage in small or medium scale business. ( according to research, women are good at paying back loans when compared to men).

3, All forms of contraception should be free ( or heavily subsidized). The knowledge or know-how of these contraceptives should be taught in schools ( SSS class and in colleges, polytechnics and University). Sex education won't make our kids promiscuous but will rather empower them with options and choices. ( If we can be taught reproductive system in biology class, why can't we go a step further with sex education?)

One reason my mum, and her sisters had fewer kids is because they worked all their reproductive lives and are still working. The moment we empower our women ( make them less dependable on men), our population growth will slow down.

Come to think of it, Would a rich, educated woman want to be a second wife to a man?
Re: One Spouse Policy? by Guardian(m): 10:14am On Oct 21, 2011
Solution is simple.

Introduce Tax Per extra Child.

I propose the following amendment to the constitution.

A citizen of Nigeria shall have the right to bear and have two children only.

A male or Female citizen who has two children but desires an extra child/children may apply for the permission to have an extra child/children. Where proper application has been made and granted he/she can proceed to procreate and bear more than two children allowed by law.

With the exclusion of two children granted by Law any additional child will require either/both parent to pay 20% annual Tax fee on the income of both parent.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by namfav(m): 10:23am On Oct 21, 2011
babangida's daughter is the 2nd or 3rd wife of shinkafi, she is very educated, young and successful, your argument is baseless

just stop it, apart from contraceptives making them free, all your points are silly

obo_man:

How can we reduce population growth? ,    it's simple, we just have to empower women in our society.

1, Every girl has to be at least educated to post-secondary school level. ( Should apply to both sexes)

2. The legal age for marriage should be 18 throughout the federation ( under-age marriage in the north and other parts of the country should be stopped)

2, Women who are willing to set up any form of business should find it easier to obtain loans. Esp women in rural areas that are willing to engage in small or medium scale business. ( according to research, women are good at paying back loans when compared to men).

3, All forms of contraception should be free ( or heavily subsidized). The knowledge or know-how of these contraceptives should be taught in schools ( SSS class and in colleges, polytechnics and University). Sex education won't make our kids promiscuous but will rather empower them with options and choices. ( If we can be taught reproductive system in biology class, why can't we go a step further with sex education?)

One reason my mum, and her sisters had fewer kids is because they worked all their reproductive lives and are still working. The moment we empower our women ( make them less dependable on men), our population growth will slow down.   

Come to think of it, Would a rich, educated woman want to be a second wife to a man?
Re: One Spouse Policy? by Nobody: 10:40am On Oct 21, 2011
@ namfav, you using Babagida's daughter as an example is what in statistics is known as anecdotal evidence. You can't use one example of Babagida's daughter to counter a general consensus

In general, would you find rich, educated women becoming second wives? You and I know that Babagida's daughter becoming second and third wife to some dirty old politician is for political and selfish reasons.

Would you want your daughter you trained so well at Harvard University ( with your sweat money, not nation's loot), come back to Nigeria and be a second wife to some dirty, disease- ridden politician?
Re: One Spouse Policy? by engrj(m): 11:13am On Oct 21, 2011
one man One Wife 4 or 6 children.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by engrj(m): 11:23am On Oct 21, 2011
One Man One Wife Then 4 or 6 children.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by Guardian(m): 12:53pm On Oct 21, 2011
People Adopt my policy oooh
Re: One Spouse Policy? by Gbenge77(m): 4:58pm On Oct 21, 2011
No.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 21, 2011
namfav:

i dont have the statistics, but be asured that it is becoming less and less these days
so you are just against the forced aspects, what if it is not forced?

It'd still be wrong.
We know that teenagers do not make the best choices in life. They've yet to taste life sef.
I blame this on the lack of education that seems to be increasing up North. This is not to insult anyone sha.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 21, 2011
Guardian:

Solution is simple.

A male or Female citizen who has two children but desires an extra child/children may apply for the permission to have an extra child/children. Where proper application has been made and granted he/she can proceed to procreate and bear more than two children allowed by law.

With the exclusion of two children granted by Law any additional child will require either/both parent to pay 20% annual Tax fee on the income of both parent.

Ekt bear was the first to bring this up on NL. Seems like this might be our only option for NOW.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by Anvaller: 5:40pm On Oct 21, 2011
Why is the guy namfav trying to justify underage marriage? It will be absolute nonsense if such marriage is without the consent of the lady. Sometimes they claim that the lady consented but in most cases, the ladies just don't have other alternative than to consent. These northerners would never change no matter how much education they have.

To the topic, if I would  base my argument on logic as whether polygamy increases population as some ppl have argued here, then I would say polygamy in Nigeria can even reduce population. If 1 man marries one wife, he may have up to 6 children over time but if he intends to marry more wives, he is very likely to limit the number of children per wife because he is sure that he is going to marry more wives. Since what matters is how many children are born by 1 woman, we may end up having an average of 2/3 children per woman. If a group of women has an average of 2/3 children for one man, the population growth would definitely slow down compared to when one woman has 4/6 children for one man.

I know ladies would hate my argument but pls dont because it is not even realistic. So no need to bother about it.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by sley4life(m): 5:45pm On Oct 21, 2011
Its better. But ladies would suffer most. Many will not be married cos there are more ladies few men
Re: One Spouse Policy? by Agybabe(f): 7:42pm On Oct 21, 2011
One spouse policy? Dat wil b nice bt u knw, it is blieved dat females r more dan men in d world. Lets say all guys starts 2 pik one one, a lot wil go HUSBANDLESS or SPOUSELESS. Bt i wil neva encourage polygamy of any sort.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by Fhemmmy: 8:05pm On Oct 21, 2011
So you mean it is better to have one man one wife, but the one wife could have as many child as they want?
Re: One Spouse Policy? by emofine(f): 9:39pm On Oct 21, 2011
Guardian:

Solution is simple.

Interesting policy but what if a couple that has the maximum number of children granted (which is two) yet one child dies in infancy or early in life, are they thus permitted to have another child - and not be taxed as their tally will still be within the required bracket?

. . .and what if someone was pregnant with triplets, would the couple be taxed for one of the children born?

Fhemmmy:

So you mean it is better to have one man one wife, but the one wife could have as many child as they want?

I assumed there was a relationship between polygamy and population growth and that perhaps in a polygamous household more children were likely to be born than in a monogamous one. Having done a minimum research I believe there are quite some holes in that theory and other factors to still consider.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by emofine(f): 9:47pm On Oct 21, 2011
Interesting article and some of the suggestions exchanged here are some of the top factors that affect population growth . . .

Causes of Increase in Population:

The main factors which have led to the great increase in population are as follows:

(1) Drop in death rate. Due to advances in medical science, the death rate has sharply come down from 28 per thousand population in 1951 to 7.1 per thousand population in 2006-07.

(2) Low standard of living. It is an established fact that people with low income have more children. The poor persons are not afraid of a further fall in their standard of living as a result of large number of children.

(3) Early marriages. In Pakistan, the marriage take place usually between 15 to 22 years of age. The span for reproductively is longer.

(4) Tropical climate. The warm climate where puberty is attained at an early age.

(5) Belief that God is Raziq. Muslim have a firm belief that God gives food to everyone even to an ant living in a stone. So why reduce the size of family?

(6) Source of power. Large family is regarded a power to influence people and subdue persons around them.

(7) illiteracy. Due to lack of education people are not aware of the economic distress caused by high birth rate.

(8 ) Joint family system. The joint family system though on the decline is also a cause for rapid bringing forth of children.

(9) Existence of polygamy. The existence of polygamy also contribute to the increase in population.

(10) Resistance to population control drive. The population control drive has not been pursed by the Government of Pakistan in right manner due to resistance on ethical grounds.

(11) The influx of refugees. The influx of refugees from India, Afghanistan, is continuing unabated in Pakistan. Pakistan is now a refugee paradise.

(12) Universality of marriage. All men and woman of marriageable age enter into wedlock. as such the birth rate is higher in Pakistan.

http://saif113sb.hubpages.com/hub/Causes-of-Increase-in-PopulatioN
Re: One Spouse Policy? by emofine(f): 9:58pm On Oct 21, 2011
ekt bear's comments caused me to research slightly if there is truly a relationship between polygamy and population growth rates and I found some interesting info and here are some extracts:

Some examinations considering the relationship between Polygamy and Population:-

Contention 1: Polygamy allows for more rapid reproduction.
A female can only produce offspring once per nine months; but a male can fertilize multiple women within the same day. If a man has multiple wives, this rapid reproduction can be efficiently utilized to increase the vitality of the species as a whole.

http://www.debate.org/debates/Polygamy-is-morally-permissible./1/

[center]***[/center]

Polygyny have been suspected to play a key role on fertility very early by demographers . . . .

. . . .a womans fertility can be different within a polygamic household because of competition or substitution between spouses. Second, polygamy
can affect also fertility by modifying the social norms on the size of families. It can therefore, by an external effect, increase directly the fertility of non-polygamous households as
well.

Indeed, women in a polygamous family may compete in the number of children they have because
it may raise their social status or in order to increase their share on inheritance. Also, if
polygamy increase the marriage length for women, it may increase their fertility as their
exposition to the pregnancy risk is increased. However, as men with many wives are less
present for each wife, it may decrease pregnancy risk exposition. So the result maybe
ambiguous in that respect. At the society level, polygamy could have substantial indirect
effects. First, it may increase the nuptial rate (the number of marriages) in the society
as it becomes easier for women to get married in a polygamous society. Second, it may
increase the social norms in terms of number of children both for women and men, causing
that in area where polygamy is frequent, the monogamous family will tend to have more
children. The combination of these to elements could ofset the eventual lower fertility
rate of women in polygamous family

http://congres.afse.fr/docs/2011/410307demographictransitionpolygamy.pdf

[center]***[/center]

In 2000, Russia's eccentric ultranationalist politician Vladimir Zhirinovsky proposed polygamy as a novel solution to the country's demographic crisis. The leader of the Liberal Democratic Party proposed the country's family code be amended to allow men to take up to five wives. More wives, Zhirinovsky reasoned, would mean more babies, and thus boost Russia's shrinking population. After a brief debate in parliament, his scheme was dismissed.

http://www.rferl.org/content/article/1057238.html
^^^
Lol, I just found that incident mildly amusing.

[center]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/center]

. . . .but of course there are various factors to consider still i.e. infant mortality rates which encourages more birth or the age of a spouse.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by freepeople: 10:44pm On Oct 21, 2011
Guardian:

Solution is simple.

Introduce Tax Per extra Child. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

A citizen of Nigeria shall have the right to bear and have two children only. cry cry cry cry cry cry

[size=16pt]With the exclusion of two children granted by Law any additional child will require either/both parent to pay 20% annual Tax fee on the income of both parent.[/size] shocked shocked shocked shocked

Re: One Spouse Policy? by MyneWhite1(f): 10:42pm On Oct 22, 2011
No one will ever go for that. I also believe in freedom to make choices.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by ektbear: 8:05am On Oct 23, 2011
@emofine: Interesting. Guess we'd need a more thorough study to know one way or another, though.
Re: One Spouse Policy? by Nobody: 2:21am On Oct 24, 2011
I don't think you can outright ban polygamy, what you do is only recognize ONE wife under the law, this will automatically deter others from wanting to marry the man, so if the man dies his property AUTOMATICALLY goes to that wife and HER kids, not his family and NOT the other wives or their kids.

as for the polygamy exists for a reason/ and only insecure women hate polygamy, how freaking small minded, one murder exists, does that make it right? child rape exists, poverty, disease, do you want to justify those as well?
Yes only women WITH self esteem want a single well balanced family without the stress of drama

guess what? there are more women than men not because male fetuses are created at a lower rate but because female fetuses are more viable. google. black female babies are the most viable. it's called the something wimpy white boy syndrome.(in the US at least)

If our objective is population control, why are we concerned that someone women will not get married. even with polygamy lots of women are not married. and with polygamy you get kids who don't enjoy the benefit of having enough resources. my dad's driver had 4 wives. do you think he was able to adequately care for those kids?

Another requirement would be to require you educate your kids up until a certain age. if you have to buy books and uniforms , then u start to think more about where the money will come from.

wow to the person who mentioned the whole "allah will provide for everyone" thanks for that insight.
I guess people don't see the malnourished kids running around with no shoes in the hot sun
Re: One Spouse Policy? by Kobojunkie: 2:35am On Oct 24, 2011
ATLgal:

I don't think you can outright ban polygamy,  what you do is only recognize ONE wife under the law, [size=13pt] this will automatically deter others from wanting to marry the man, so if the man dies his property AUTOMATICALLY goes to that wife and HER kids, not his family and NOT the other wives or their kids. [/size]

For Where?

Re: One Spouse Policy? by Nobody: 2:40am On Oct 24, 2011
Kobojunkie:

For Where?

lol, well, grin I would hope it would DETER some women , no? when they know outright that the law says the legal wife gets the inheritance, if them still marry na them know i guess, lol, naive i am huh? lipsrsealed
Re: One Spouse Policy? by Kobojunkie: 2:54am On Oct 24, 2011
ATLgal:

lol, well,   grin I would  hope it would DETER some women , no? when they know outright that the law says the legal wife gets the inheritance,  if them still marry na them know i guess,  lol,  naive i am huh?  lipsrsealed

Even fear of God, Magun, Sango curse, etc never stop them from stealing or latching on to someone else's man. Na law go come do that one for naija??  grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity To Be Experienced Across The Country By Next Week. / Abiola And Awolowo Who Is Greater?. / Kainji Dam Is Back On Stream & Delivering Power To National Grid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.