Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,855 members, 7,817,535 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:55 PM

Can You Eat This Insect - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Can You Eat This Insect (893 Views)

Black Spaghetti. This Is What It Looks Like. Can You Eat This? / Dr. Ify Aniebo: If You Eat Gala In Nigeria I Feel Bad For You / Would You Eat This Ayam Cemani Chicken From Indonesia? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Eat This Insect by Nobody: 8:23pm On Sep 28, 2023
I remember when when i was young, we would fill a bucket with water and place outside to collect these insects.

They usually would fly around the electric lights.

In Anambra, we call it Akuwanmili.

Its been more than 30years since I had this delicious roasted insects. Delicious for us as kids.

Now, my wife just bought this roasted insects and going down memory lane, I decided to take two spoons and could not continue.

Have you had this before? What name do you call it in your local dialect?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can You Eat This Insect by mariahAngel(f): 8:29pm On Sep 28, 2023
I'll just stick with crayfish, thank you. 🤐
Re: Can You Eat This Insect by garriAndsugar: 8:40pm On Sep 28, 2023
looks good although I've not eaten it
Re: Can You Eat This Insect by Nobody: 8:44pm On Sep 28, 2023
mariahAngel:
I'll just stick with crayfish, thank you. 🤐

We used to look forward to these as kids but now I tried and It did not work for me. lol
Re: Can You Eat This Insect by TANID(m): 8:54pm On Sep 28, 2023
Skyview01:

We used to look forward to these as kids but now I tried and It did not work for me. lol
same Here I Can't Eat It Now
Re: Can You Eat This Insect by wittywriter: 8:57pm On Sep 28, 2023
Skyview01:

Your taste bud upgraded for better nourishing meals...i'm sure you won't stop if it were lobsters/seafood?.

Skyview01:

I am not a big seafood fan. For lobsters, I may not enjoy it.

Wittyness.
Re: Can You Eat This Insect by Nobody: 9:18pm On Sep 28, 2023
wittywriter:

Your taste bud upgraded for better nourishing meals...i'm sure you won't stop if it were lobsters/seafood?.

Wittyness.

I am not a big seafood fan. For lobsters, I may not enjoy it.
Re: Can You Eat This Insect by mariahAngel(f): 9:20pm On Sep 28, 2023
Skyview01:

What do you think changed?
Re: Can You Eat This Insect by Nobody: 9:36pm On Sep 28, 2023
mariahAngel:

What do you think changed?

My taste buds for one. I can't even eat bushmeat or any meat I cannot identify. After COVID-19 and lockdowns and Ebola breakout in some African countries, I began to scrutinize what I eat very closely. My wife forced this on me.

Also, the availability of good food. I have eaten lots of good food that my palate will naturally reject any bad food thanks to my wife. Lol

My elder brother can eat anything. When we were small, He caught and roasted crickets. He said it was delicious for me to take a bite, It was like biting on a cockroach I feel disgusted till today.

1 Like

Re: Can You Eat This Insect by Oloki: 9:56pm On Sep 28, 2023
Skyview01:
I remember when when i was young, we would fill a bucket with water and place outside to collect these insects.

Its been more than 30years since I had this delicious roasted insects. Delicious for us as kids.

Now, my wife just bought this roasted insects and going down memory lane, I decided to take two spoons and could not continue.

Is this not flying termite? If yes, it is called esusu in Yoruba and very proteinous.

5 Likes

Re: Can You Eat This Insect by mariahAngel(f): 9:59pm On Sep 28, 2023
Skyview01:

My taste buds for one. I can't even eat bushmeat or any meat I cannot identify. After COVID-19 and lockdowns and Ebola breakout in some African countries, I began to scrutinize what I eat very closely. My wife forced this on me.

Also, the availability of good food. I have eaten lots of good food that my palate will naturally reject any bad food thanks to my wife. Lol

My elder brother can eat anything. When we were small, He caught and roasted crickets. He said it was delicious for me to take a bite, It was like biting on a cockroach I feel disgusted till today.

Your wife must have a very traditional palate.

Hahahahaha cheesy

1 Like

Re: Can You Eat This Insect by Nobody: 10:05pm On Sep 28, 2023
Oloki:

Is this not flying termite? If yes, it is called esusu in Yoruba and very proteinous.

That is flying termites and thank you for mentioning the Yoruba name. I have cracking my brain searching for the Yoruba name.
Re: Can You Eat This Insect by Nobody: 10:07pm On Sep 28, 2023
mariahAngel:

Your wife must have a very traditional palate.

Hahahahaha cheesy

She does. She just imported traditional fufu from Nigeria and she is hoarding it like gold.

She only gave me one wrap and the rest na semo.

1 Like

Re: Can You Eat This Insect by ahnie: 10:33pm On Sep 28, 2023
Aje butty....have you gather the courage to squash what we talked about...by the way I saw one this morning.
Skyview01:

She does. She just imported traditional fufu from Nigeria and she is hoarding it like gold.

1 Like

Re: Can You Eat This Insect by Nobody: 10:44pm On Sep 28, 2023
ahnie:
Aje butty....have you gather the courage to squash what we talked about...by the way I saw one this morning.

I nor fit stand those things.
Re: Can You Eat This Insect by Kobojunkiee: 5:22am On Sep 29, 2023
Oloki:
Yep, those are termites and they are delicious! undecided

2 Likes

Re: Can You Eat This Insect by ahnie: 6:45am On Sep 29, 2023
grin
Skyview01:

I nor fit stand those things.
Re: Can You Eat This Insect by descarado: 8:50am On Sep 29, 2023
Skyview01:

Depending on where you live but I know most of these things are online.

You can buy already fermented fofo online. Something like this. Mainly processed in South America. Their cassava is the Ghana type so very small cyanide. Buy and make it in your home instead.

Re: Can You Eat This Insect by Sanguine(f): 12:28pm On Sep 29, 2023
Skyview01:

Yeah, these flying termites. They come in their droves especially after it rains. Sprinkle some salt and fry. I enjoy it, always.
Some people eat these raw even. They say it is medicinal.
Re: Can You Eat This Insect by michru: 1:31pm On Sep 29, 2023
Pretty long since I've seen this. Don't they sell? Or how else can one get them apart from the catching exercise.
Re: Can You Eat This Insect by Nobody: 3:28pm On Sep 29, 2023
Sanguine:

Yeah, these flying termites. They come in their droves especially after it rains. Sprinkle some salt and fry. I enjoy it, always.
Some people eat these raw even. They say it is medicinal.

Raw? Ewww!

can't eat raw even at a gun point. lol
Re: Can You Eat This Insect by Stainless11(f): 4:04pm On Sep 29, 2023
Yes, esunsun...it goes well with garri.lol

2 Likes

Re: Can You Eat This Insect by Sanguine(f): 4:24pm On Sep 29, 2023
Skyview01:

Raw? Ewww!

can't eat raw even at a gun point. lol

Heheh 😁. Better pray you never have a gun-point situation...
Re: Can You Eat This Insect by adeoyekay(m): 8:37pm On Sep 30, 2023
Skyview01:

Esunsun

1 Like

Re: Can You Eat This Insect by Westerhoffe(m): 10:04am On Oct 02, 2023
Termites…
Re: Can You Eat This Insect by Westerhoffe(m): 10:05am On Oct 02, 2023
adeoyekay:
Esunsun

Ogan.

(1) (Reply)

Please African Restaurant In London / Is It Possible To Get A Decent Meal In Vi For Less Than N300? / Does This Expire?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.