Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,329 members, 7,811,967 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:58 AM

Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate (10711 Views)

Democracy Under Attack, Says Imo LP Gubernatorial Candidate, Athan Achonu / Imo: Athan Nneji Achonu (one-arm General) Emerges LP Guber Candidate / Supreme Court Affirms Senator Dariye's 10-Year Jail Term For Criminal Breach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by bentenny(m): 1:30am On Sep 29, 2023
Jubilation broke out at the secretariat of the Labour Party in Abuja when the Supreme Court on Thursday affirmed Senator Athan Achonu as the rightful candidate for the November 11 election in Imo State.

Achonu is aiming to become the first physically challenged governor in the country on the platform of LP in the off-season election taking place in the State.

An aggrieved aspirant at the last LP primary, Basil Maduka, had objected and challenged Achonu’s candidature at both the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal.

But the apex court threw out the case on the ground that it lacked locus standi.

A panel of five justices led by Iyang Okoro also cautioned the Appellant for abusing the court process and wasting the time of the courts all through from the lower courts.

Two other respondents in the matter were the Independent National Electoral Commission and a candidate from the Lamidi Apapa faction, Joseph Ukaegbu, popularly known as Ikenga, whose request to seek a consequential order was also rejected by the Supreme Court.

Briefing newsmen in Abuja, the National Legal Officer of the LP Kehinde Edun hailed the Supreme Court justices, saying they did justice to the case.

He said, “The justices discovered the case lacked locus standi and threw it out. They also cautioned the lawyers of the petitioners for wasting their time.”

Counsel to Labour Party, Okwudili Anozie, also told journalists in Abuja that the judgement in favour of Achonu also legitimizes Abure as the national chairman of LP.

He said, “Today at the Supreme Court, the antics of Basil Maduka and his accomplice Joseph Ukaegbu, alias Ikenga, was put to an end as they met their Waterloo at the Apex Court. Today was a culmination of the deceit and lies to Imolites spanning from their misrepresentation of the true position of the judgments of the Federal High Court and the Court of Appeal.

“The Supreme Court didn’t entertain Ukaegbu’s counsel’s ignorant attempt to seek for a consequential order, which even a first-year student of law knows cannot be sought by a Respondent, especially in this case where the appeal was dismissed.”

An excited Achonu also disclosed that he knew that the apex court would vindicate him because he followed the due process to win the LP primary, which also had officials of INEC in attendance.

He said, “I refused to join issues with anybody or discuss anything on my court cases. I didn’t think it was necessary because first, I was not sued. Secondly, I won a free and fair election. Thirdly, INEC published my name and did not announce that I was no longer a candidate. That was the only time I would have been bothered. I have been concentrating on my campaign.”

https://punchng.com/supreme-court-affirms-imo-lp-governorship-candidate/?amp

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Nigerialabalaba: 1:35am On Sep 29, 2023
Days to election na hin e get clearance to contest.smh. E be loke Kogi state own too

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by benuejosh: 2:12am On Sep 29, 2023
Just out of curiosity.

Who is the National Chairman of Labour Party?

9 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Neduzze5(m): 6:41am On Sep 29, 2023
All these South West Supreme court judges sef.

Always meddling in the affairs of the South East. They should try and rest small abeg.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Houseofglam7(f): 6:42am On Sep 29, 2023
They are still sleeping 😴

Kikikikikikiki 🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭
They’ll soon wake up and fight 🤭🤭🤭🤭🤭
Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by southsouthking(m): 6:43am On Sep 29, 2023
GGWMs.
Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Dialpad: 6:44am On Sep 29, 2023
Lol LP still wants to ride on Obi
Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Vifx: 6:45am On Sep 29, 2023
Good one
Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by crossfm: 6:45am On Sep 29, 2023
Hehehe.

Apapa left the group chat grin cheesy.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Guyman01: 6:45am On Sep 29, 2023
APC mole Apapa in the mud, Nairaland should stop referring to that shameless old man as LP 'factional' Chairman because it will be a contempt of Supreme Court ruling.
Imo people are craving for the one arm lion

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by ubanett(m): 6:48am On Sep 29, 2023
Agu ofu aka is coming...💪🏿

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by MICHEALADEX(m): 6:48am On Sep 29, 2023
The labourers at it again

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Kennitrust(m): 6:52am On Sep 29, 2023
Go to court! Go to court... Now we are in court and the expected kind of case they were hoping for has become something that will cause someone irreparable damage. Lol. Next time when you rig election, don't brag about it.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by MorataFC: 6:54am On Sep 29, 2023
Ok
Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Klington: 6:56am On Sep 29, 2023
APCshit bat-stards are already choking on this.

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by John4B: 6:58am On Sep 29, 2023
Congratulations to agu ofu aka! That walking corpse(lamidi) can go back to mortuary for embalmment.

11 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Shedrack777: 6:59am On Sep 29, 2023
the lawyers really cash out big time for this case
Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Racoon(m): 6:59am On Sep 29, 2023
I guess the same fraudulent INEC covered the party primary that produced this man as the LP gubernatorial candidate, yet Lamidi Apapa faction to matter to court. What a lawless country

3 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Belial06: 6:59am On Sep 29, 2023
I heard this man is very popular and will win the election

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Shedrack777: 7:03am On Sep 29, 2023
benuejosh:
Just out of curiosity.

na daodou ismayilu from kafanchan

5 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by OmoOshodi(m): 7:03am On Sep 29, 2023
This Apapa is a parasite o

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by georgeakins: 7:07am On Sep 29, 2023
benuejosh:
Just out of curiosity.

Hon. Apampa

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by hatchy(f): 7:09am On Sep 29, 2023
Uzodinma is having BP right now. Please any of his Aids in this forum should check on their Oga o.

10 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Obaofaba: 7:17am On Sep 29, 2023
We want labor party on the ballot so that what happened in the presidential election will happen again.

Labor party is a threath to the PDP.

APC is just the real winner in all of this.

Read between lines.
Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Cmanforall: 7:17am On Sep 29, 2023
Dialpad:
Lol LP still wants to ride on Obi
I think so. But are they using credible individuals as their candidates?

Belial06:
I heard this man is very popular and will win the election

And I'm hearing otherwise as regards his character, that he may be a terrible governor

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by adioolayi(m): 7:21am On Sep 29, 2023
Supreme court should give definitive ruling on who is the LP Chairman na...

When will that particular case be decided...the party needs to prepare for these off season elections..they should have legally backed Chairman..make every other dissenting voices align once and for all

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Lorddominic(m): 7:26am On Sep 29, 2023
adioolayi:
Supreme court should give definitive ruling on who is the LP Chairman na...

When will that particular case be decided...the party needs to prepare for these off season elections..they should have legally backed Chairman..make every other dissenting voices align once and for all

Are you a tata? Can't you summarize the whole thing in your head? Abure's candidate will be flying LP's flag during the elections while Lamidi Apapa and his cohorts will watch the election proceedings on their TV sets from their homes.... In summary, Abure is constitutionally legit while Apapa remains bulaba's fvcking employee

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by iCauseTrouble: 7:26am On Sep 29, 2023
grin
Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Akwamkpuruamu: 7:33am On Sep 29, 2023
Apapa oshodi lamidi in the mud

6 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by Akwamkpuruamu: 7:35am On Sep 29, 2023
benuejosh:
Just out of curiosity.

Oshodi Apapa werey should return Ebolas money or eat it for free, after all na drug money. No be Ebola papa get am

4 Likes

Re: Supreme Court Affirms Senator Athan Achonu As Imo LP Guber Candidate by AntiChristian: 7:50am On Sep 29, 2023
But why are many SEasterners online like this?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

PSC Orders IGP To Deepen Investigations Into Abba Kyari's Link To Hushpuppy / Reps Ready For Salary Cut, Declare Support For Anti-graft War / Anambra Governorship: 500 Members Of PPA Decamp To PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.