Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,522 members, 7,843,609 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 08:43 AM

Thought Subsidy Was Bad: Why Is Tinubu Bringing It Back? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Thought Subsidy Was Bad: Why Is Tinubu Bringing It Back? (1265 Views)

President Tinubu Bringing His Son Seyi Close To The Corridors Of Power / My Associates Thought I Was Joking When I Said Subsidy Was Gone – Tinubu / I Used To Think Nigeria's Problem Was Bad Government - Pastor Kingsley Okonkwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Thought Subsidy Was Bad: Why Is Tinubu Bringing It Back? by LikeAking: 10:57am On Sep 30, 2023
The point is:Nigeria shouldn’t be importing fuel..

Fix the refineries…
Re: Thought Subsidy Was Bad: Why Is Tinubu Bringing It Back? by Eniitankorede: 11:21am On Sep 30, 2023
I also thought you said bringing it back was good, why are you complaining now?
Re: Thought Subsidy Was Bad: Why Is Tinubu Bringing It Back? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 11:27am On Sep 30, 2023
ivandragon:
This is what happens when you have a smart criminal at the helm.

They only think in terms of what they can get out of the system.

When I discussed with some clown about how unilaterally removing subsidy will not solve the problem, I was harangued & insulted. Yet, I was the was that was banned.

That clown will soon come to justify this Deception
The difference is that
The last regime was like stone age bush man with loin clothes while

This regime is like a bankster wearing corporate suit and tie, and eye glasses.

But their modus operandi is the same. Which is to lie to the masses and impoverish them.
Re: Thought Subsidy Was Bad: Why Is Tinubu Bringing It Back? by NOETHNICITY(m): 1:50pm On Sep 30, 2023
ivandragon:

They are the perfect example of the sheep in animal farm.

BAT removes subsidy, they chant & praise.

BAT denies paying subsidy, they chant & praise.

BAT secretly starts paying subsidy, they chant & praise.
Because the consequences of non-payment of subsidy at the moment would be devastating, unless you want to unrealistic as usual. NLC are currently threatening nation wide strike and you expect the government not to readjust its policy? Why are you people like this?
Re: Thought Subsidy Was Bad: Why Is Tinubu Bringing It Back? by ivandragon: 2:17pm On Sep 30, 2023
NOETHNICITY:
Because the consequences of non-payment of subsidy at the moment would be devastating, unless you want to unrealistic as usual. NLC are currently threatening nation wide strike and you expect the government not to readjust its policy? Why are you people like this?

Lol.

See them. You chaps are the very unrealistic & unthinking set of Nigerians.

You were all clearly told that removing fuel subsidy the way BAT did it was irresponsible, an abdication of responsibility & not well thought out. Coupled with the supposed floating of the Naira which was just daft.

But no. You & your ilk kept chanting & praising. Now are we not going through the same cycle again?

A person that has been preparing for governance for donkey years still doesn't know his left from right & you are hear talking policy.

Why didn't the government openly come out to state that subsidy had been reintroduced, the way it was announced that it had been removed?

I don't understand how thoughtless some of you can be.

1 Like

Re: Thought Subsidy Was Bad: Why Is Tinubu Bringing It Back? by NOETHNICITY(m): 3:26pm On Sep 30, 2023
ivandragon:

Lol.

See them. You chaps are the very unrealistic & unthinking set of Nigerians.

You were all clearly told that removing fuel subsidy the way BAT did it was irresponsible, an abdication of responsibility & not well thought out. Coupled with the supposed floating of the Naira which was just daft.

But no. You & your ilk kept chanting & praising. Now are we not going through the same cycle again?

A person that has been preparing for governance for donkey years still doesn't know his left from right & you are hear talking policy.

Why didn't the government openly come out to state that subsidy had been reintroduced, the way it was announced that it had been removed?

I don't understand how thoughtless some of you can be.
There was never ever going to be a right time for the removal of fuel subsidy. If he had waited, it would have become more difficult, if not impossible, to ever remove. We had been living with subsidy for decades, and there was nothing positive to show for it. We kept saying that Buhari hadn’t done anything, well we know now that he was paying subsidy.

If you have a car and you have been buying fuel years before now, now you will understand that Buhari had been doing something.
I am one of those who used to think that Buhari wasn’t doing anything.
Now I know different.
I used to spend about 40k on fuel monthly over the past 1yr, now I spend about 120k.

It would be very unreasonable for Tinubu to allow the price to rise to 900/ltr at the moment. I support the government on this.

You guys are just a critic. But try and be reasonable at it. Peter obi who I know you guys support would have been a catastrophic failure like he was as governor.
Re: Thought Subsidy Was Bad: Why Is Tinubu Bringing It Back? by Deemas(m): 3:33pm On Sep 30, 2023
AntiChristian:

No mind these Ipobi simps!
They'll never see any good in APC or Tinubu and no evil from IPOBI and LP!

APC is wholly devilish while LP is Jesus!

Was subsidy paid in August 2023 or not? Please answer this question first.
Re: Thought Subsidy Was Bad: Why Is Tinubu Bringing It Back? by ivandragon: 4:47pm On Sep 30, 2023
NOETHNICITY:
There was never ever going to be a right time for the removal of fuel subsidy. If he had waited, it would have become more difficult, if not impossible, to ever remove. We had been living with subsidy for decades, and there was nothing positive to show for it. We kept saying that Buhari hadn’t done anything, well we know now that he was paying subsidy.

If you have a car and you have been buying fuel years before now, now you will understand that Buhari had been doing something.
I am one of those who used to think that Buhari wasn’t doing anything.
Now I know different.
I used to spend about 40k on fuel monthly over the past 1yr, now I spend about 120k.

It would be very unreasonable for Tinubu to allow the price to rise to 900/ltr at the moment. I support the government on this.

You guys are just a critic. But try and be reasonable at it. Peter obi who I know you guys support would have been a catastrophic failure like he was as governor.

As usual, when grasping at straws, you fall back on the 'I know you support Obi' chant.

How can a president state that he met with economic saboteurs, the people who made fuel subsidy unsustainable, & till today, he has not gone after them?

You close your eyes to the actual factors that have made fuel subsidy unsustainable & chasing shadows.

Well, you obviously don't know anything about anything, if you did, you won't be regurgitating everything the government tells you even when the facts are staring you in the face.
Re: Thought Subsidy Was Bad: Why Is Tinubu Bringing It Back? by nairalanda1(m): 6:40pm On Sep 30, 2023
NOETHNICITY:

The consequences of paying the subsidy are a larger deficit, and a growing deficit.

It's like you politicans on both PDP and APC so don't get it.

Assuming fuel was kept at N65 today since 2011...by now subsidy costs would have risen from N34 to N900 per liter. The effect on budget and spending would have been considerable.

You people should stop looking for cheap fuel. It does not exist. Forget politics, forget PDP, APC, GEJ, Tinubu, Buhari, etc....subsidy is why we don't have working refineries, why we have lost billions to smuggling, and a big part of why we have had balloning deficit spending.

Ghana and Niger are paying much higher than us, as are all our neighbours. Are they suffering devastation?
Re: Thought Subsidy Was Bad: Why Is Tinubu Bringing It Back? by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 7:21pm On Sep 30, 2023
nairalanda1:

The consequences of paying the subsidy are a larger deficit, and a growing deficit.

It's like you politicans on both PDP and APC so don't get it.

Assuming fuel was kept at N65 today since 2011...by now subsidy costs would have risen from N34 to N900 per liter. The effect on budget and spending would have been considerable.

You people should stop looking for cheap fuel. It does not exist. Forget politics, forget PDP, APC, GEJ, Tinubu, Buhari, etc....subsidy is why we don't have working refineries, why we have lost billions to smuggling, and a big part of why we have had balloning deficit spending.

Ghana and Niger are paying much higher than us, as are all our neighbours. Are they suffering devastation?
Bros stop it please I beg you with God.

No
There is a chance it wouldn't, if the naira was continually pegged at N180 - N200 till now 2923.

It is the devaluation of naira that is causing the price to be very high.

If this exchange rate I mentioned was maintained the price will be around N160 to N220

Not N900!
Re: Thought Subsidy Was Bad: Why Is Tinubu Bringing It Back? by nairalanda1(m): 7:26pm On Sep 30, 2023
VeeVeeMyLuv:

Bros stop it please I beg you with God.

No
There is a chance it wouldn't, if the naira was continually pegged at N180 - N200 till now 2923.

It is the devaluation of naira that is causing the price to be very high.

If this exchange rate I mentioned was maintained the price will be around N160 to N220

Not N900!

We tried pegging the naira for donkey years.

Apart from beiing a means for round tripping, and also most people did not get the naira at the official rate....you can see it did not work. Most people , even back in the good old days before Buhari, preferred the parallel market.

Another reason why it did not work...oil prices were too low for Nigeria from April 2014 to 2021, and again from 2022 to date. Our oil revenue was bad during those days..especially in 2016 and during the covid period, when oil was as low as 24 dollars per barrel.

We don't earn enough dollars to keep naira at 180 to one dollar. That's why Nigerians should have voted out APC in Feb because of the failure to diversify our revenue streams.

And anyway, in reality/the real world...not in your preffered scenairo.....naira never stayed at N180, and no government was pegging it at N180 by 2016.Even Buhari with his multiple rates, the cheapest was above N200, IF NOT N300 self.

Also, fuel ain't cheap.
Re: Thought Subsidy Was Bad: Why Is Tinubu Bringing It Back? by correctguy101(m): 7:48pm On Sep 30, 2023
nairalanda1:

We tried pegging the naira for donkey years.

Apart from beiing a means for round tripping, and also most people did not get the naira at the official rate....you can see it did not work. Most people , even back in the good old days before Buhari, preferred the parallel market.

Another reason why it did not work...oil prices were too low for Nigeria from April 2014 to 2021, and again from 2022 to date. Our oil revenue was bad during those days..especially in 2016 and during the covid period, when oil was as low as 24 dollars per barrel.

We don't earn enough dollars to keep naira at 180 to one dollar. That's why Nigerians should have voted out APC in Feb because of the failure to diversify our revenue streams.

And anyway, in reality/the real world...not in your preffered scenairo.....naira never stayed at N180, and no government was pegging it at N180 by 2016.Even Buhari with his multiple rates, the cheapest was above N200, IF NOT N300 self.

Also, fuel ain't cheap.

I'm essence, we can't effectively meet the requirements of pegging our currency.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nyesom Wike Has Always Been Dramatic Since He Was A Child – Classmate Speaks / Release DCP Kyari To Join In Tackling Protracted Security Challenges - CSO / UK Universities In Financial Turmoil After Foreign Students Decrease

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.