Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,292 members, 7,811,876 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:57 PM

How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails (32130 Views)

Causes Of Vehicle’s Stall When The Brake Is Applied / When The Brake Shakes On Freeway But Not On Street Road / What To Do When Your Car brake fails (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Carmartng: 11:14am On Sep 30, 2023
Brake failure is the most common car accident that has led to many deaths. There’s nothing fun about brake failure in your car while driving. It’s one of the most dangerous occurrences any driver could experience. It leads to loss of life and injuries.

However, it’s important to prepare one’s mind against some of the car occurrences that could arise at random. Here’s what you should do instead if you find yourself in a situation where your car has no brakes.

Don’t Panic when Your Brake Fails
The first step in any emergency is not to panic. Experts recommend you try your brakes again to check if they haven’t gone out. If this doesn’t work, you must carefully engage the emergency brake.

Another method you can try is to downshift into another gear. In a manual vehicle, you do this by working your way through the gears. If you have an automatic vehicle, taking your foot off the accelerator will do the trick.

While going through these steps, try to get off the road. In most movies, it seems like the hero chooses the busiest streets to keep moving. It would be best to do the opposite by getting completely off the road. However, this may not always be possible. If you are in a situation where you can’t get off the road, try hitting a barrier. Your car will most likely be totalled, but you’ll live to buy another one.

Once you start to slow down, it might make sense to turn the car off. Don’t do this. You need to keep your car running until you’ve come to a complete stop. Turning off the vehicle also reduces power steering, which means losing control over where you’re headed.

Don’t try to drive it again once you’re out of the vehicle safely. Have it taken to a mechanic who can find and fix the problem.

Know Your Car Brakes
While many of us aren’t car experts, there are a few things that are just a good idea to know. According to experts, one of them is what brakes you have. So, how do you know what brakes you have without pulling out your car manual?

Look for a logo that lights up with ABS when you turn up your car. If you see this, you have anti-lock brakes. Otherwise, you have regular breaks.

So, why does this matter, exactly? If you have regular brakes instead of anti-lock brakes, you need to pump the brake pedal fast after you downshift to a lower gear. This will help build up the brake fluid.

https://www.carmart.ng/public/blog/how-to-quickly-stop-your-car-when-the-brake-fails/

Read your daily Auto Tips in Nigeria tongue only on https://www.carmart.ng/public/blog/

Join our WhatsApp Channel https://whatsapp.com/channel/0029Va99VGdJJhzglNCq043I

Sponsored post

30 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by iCauseTrouble: 9:45pm On Oct 01, 2023
I have had brake failures several times when I was driving manual. Thank God I was able to put it under control throughout those periods.
Most time, I even still manage to drive without brake to my mechanic.
But I have never experienced it with my automatic.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by NwaNimo1(m): 9:45pm On Oct 01, 2023
If your brake fails yank the handbrake and do a 360 degree turn.....

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Beess(m): 9:45pm On Oct 01, 2023
Vabab

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by SALLYBERRY01(m): 9:45pm On Oct 01, 2023
I never get car but make I save this incase I later buy

Please check out my thread I sell interior decor and offer interior and exterior services, still saving for car I only have 5,,000

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Angrigowt: 9:45pm On Oct 01, 2023
Open door. Jump

17 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Adjovi: 9:46pm On Oct 01, 2023
With dangote truck for your back or korope and tricycle and danfo driving carelessly around you. I'm Nigeria it takes lots of expertise to not panic because our roads are mostly busy

17 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Opinedecandid(m): 9:46pm On Oct 01, 2023
Use hand brakes.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by oluwaseyi0: 9:46pm On Oct 01, 2023
Some of this things are easier said than done in real life situation

68 Likes 6 Shares

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by wittywriter: 9:46pm On Oct 01, 2023
Edutaining...

Wittyness.

4 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Nobody: 9:46pm On Oct 01, 2023
Carmartng:

Sponsored post

This is insightful though you didn't mention anything about switching on the caution light. If my brake fails, doesn't it make sense to switch on the caution light to inform other road users that I may have a problem and they should slow down?

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by TwentyOnePilots(m): 9:47pm On Oct 01, 2023

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by HORLADY(m): 9:47pm On Oct 01, 2023
What if it is on third mainland bridge?

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by UncleKoboko: 9:48pm On Oct 01, 2023
shocked
IF NA AUTOMATIC GEAR AND YOU WANT TO SEE YOUR ANCESTORS IN A FLASH, SWITCH THE GEAR TO "P" PARK...

Thank me later grin grin grin

3 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by UncleKoboko: 9:48pm On Oct 01, 2023
shocked sad
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by tragergeorge(m): 9:49pm On Oct 01, 2023
Do brakes just fail like that??
For me there must be sign...
Most especially some driver's been managing the car till something bad come up or sometimes some yeye mechanic go use the car do trial by error

10 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by tragergeorge(m): 9:50pm On Oct 01, 2023
NwaNimo1:
If your brake fails yank the handbrake and do a 360 degree turn.....

de play
Film don too much

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Skillsnigeria: 9:51pm On Oct 01, 2023
Noted
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by maureensylvia(f): 9:51pm On Oct 01, 2023
Thanks
If I knew this, I wouldn't haven't had that terrible accident that almost took my life September 3rd 2021

Everything happened in few seconds
I survived!
It left me with one thing... phobia for driving

I don't think I'll ever touch steering again.
No I wasn't drunk, I was avoiding a reckless Keke driver

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Caleb15(m): 9:51pm On Oct 01, 2023
HORLADY:
What if it is on third mainland bridge?

Just enter the water

4 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by FreeStuffsNG: 9:52pm On Oct 01, 2023
Just quickly switch off the ignition first and do the rest manually. Check my signature for free stuffs!

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Truetalk3139: 9:52pm On Oct 01, 2023
It takes the grace of God for you not to panic, btw, what do you do when you lose control of your car?

9 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by lonelydora: 9:53pm On Oct 01, 2023
In an automatic gear, just remove your leg from the accelerator (throttle) while the gear is in "Drive"..... the "engine braking" will slow the car down.

In a manual gear, take the car to gear 1 and leave it there.

I have heard people say "put the gear in Neutral". Don't do this, please.

In all of these, steer the vehicle by concentrating on the road and look for a barrier (like road median or tree) and face the vehicle to.

19 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by tragergeorge(m): 9:53pm On Oct 01, 2023
UncleKoboko:
shocked
IF NA AUTOMATIC GEAR AND YOU WANT TO SEE YOUR ANCESTORS IN A FLASH, SWITCH THE GEAR TO "P" PARK...

what's gonna happen??
That thing don save me
My palm was under my brake I no know
I de wanted road,,I check a vehicle was coming I try the brake e strong e no hold at Al and the car fire high so the D without stepping on the pedal was making it move faster sef...
Na P I take stop the car from entering the road

8 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by SUFFERInSMILIIN(m): 9:54pm On Oct 01, 2023
Carmartng:

Sponsored post
g
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Sonnobax15(m): 9:55pm On Oct 01, 2023
grin
Long story....

If your brakes fail you, just find any near by bush and run enter shocked

No blame me cha,na so who teach me to ride keke teach me grin

7 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Pythagoras001: 9:55pm On Oct 01, 2023
breaks don't just fail on a well maintained vehicle. you would know when you start hearing squeal when you apply breaks that the break pads are almost gone and you should change them. at low speeds you can just use the handbrakes

9 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Nazgul: 9:56pm On Oct 01, 2023
UncleKoboko:
shocked

If your brake fails, it would be impossible to do this because your gear wouldn't move unless you step on the brake which in this case, isn't functional.

12 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by freemanq(m): 9:56pm On Oct 01, 2023
Nigeria don fail break

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Funny Activities Of "Inspired Autos" (Fake Custom Papers And Tint Permit) / I Help People Buy Cars From Cotonuo At Cheaper Rate...no Hidden Charges / Water Dripping From Car Exhaust- A Good Or Bad Sign?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.