Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,013 members, 7,817,986 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails - Autos (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails (32144 Views)

Causes Of Vehicle’s Stall When The Brake Is Applied / When The Brake Shakes On Freeway But Not On Street Road / What To Do When Your Car brake fails (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by kettykin: 5:53am On Oct 02, 2023
If you are driving a car older than 5 years, don't do more than 100km/hour, if break fails, switchb of ignition and allow the engine drag the car
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by CaptainFM1: 5:59am On Oct 02, 2023
NwaNimo1:
If your brake fails yank the handbrake and do a 360 degree turn.....

Yanker, before you "yank" the hand brake off, slow down on you gas first otherwise, the vehicle may surmalsault.
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by OLAPROSPER4(m): 6:08am On Oct 02, 2023
Carmartng:

Sponsored post

You omitted a vital point: always drive at a safe speed. Using the hand brake and taking off your feet in an automatic will only be helpful if you were traveling at a safe speed.
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Sammy101111(m): 6:10am On Oct 02, 2023
Not all break will give you sign oh
I had an accident with Honda EOD the brake failed we reach like 4 inside the car . As brake failed there was a car opposite me and I don’t want to hit the car so I steer the car toward the walkway on the road I hook the car on the walk away . The airbag did not come out the only thing that was repair was the bumper and the tires .

Advice when your car break fail if it is automatic don’t panic at all once you step on the break two times and it didn’t work the steering can save you . There is how you will steer the car left and right it will reduce the speed a little just for you to calculate we’re you will direct the car and if there is walkway on the road it will save your life you will direct the car to the walk way put the two same side tires on the walkway and let the other side be outside the walkway as the car climbs the walkway on balance it will reduce the friction of the tires it may affect the leg of your car if the walkway is high but if the walkway is low it will not damage your car only experience drivers knows what am saying
You know walkway is concrete cement .it may brake the wheel or cut the tire or damage the car leg but it will automatically stop the car if you steer it on the walkway correctly

Have done this before so it a 100% for me

2 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by unbiased2021: 6:42am On Oct 02, 2023
gtassure:

You need to overcome that fear! There is no driver behind the wheel who has never experienced some major accidents. It is the courage that make the drivers. New flash, everyone have some fear while driving!

Don’t say all drivers.
God won’t let me have that experience. I’ve been driving for close to a decade
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Angrigowt: 6:44am On Oct 02, 2023
Put in neutral. Pump hand brakes up down up down up down. Repeatedly. God help u if u jam traffic
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Haveyoueatentod: 6:54am On Oct 02, 2023
UncleKoboko:
shocked
IF NA AUTOMATIC GEAR AND YOU WANT TO SEE YOUR ANCESTORS IN A FLASH, SWITCH THE GEAR TO "P" PARK...

Thank me later grin grin grin
bro abeg explain to me why it's fatal to put it on park I no get car yet but I'm curious to know grin
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Opanka44(m): 7:07am On Oct 02, 2023
oluwaseyi0:
Some of this things are easier said than done in real life situation

Even the OP cannot adhere to these tips if he finds himself in such an ugly situation. May God continue to preserve us

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by oladipuposadeeq(m): 7:08am On Oct 02, 2023
iCauseTrouble:
I have had brake failures several times when I was driving manual. Thank God I was able to put it under control throughout those periods.
Most time, I even still manage to drive without brake to my mechanic.
But I have never experienced it with my automatic.
automatic worse ooooooo when it comes to brake failure but manual you can always downshift till it comes to a stop or patapata put am for neutral so far no be say you're coming down a hill.

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by magzey: 7:09am On Oct 02, 2023
Angrigowt:
Open door. Jump
You tink say na Indian film you dey? grin grin

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by MICVOCT(m): 7:10am On Oct 02, 2023
timilehin007:
I’ve had brake failure for uncountable time manual. I used the gear to slow down. To God it still happened to me oN Saturday from Lagos to Dangote cement factory ibese Ogun state. I knew the vehicle had break issue. It was already showing the break light. I thought I could Manage it and fix it when I returned. Blv me, I haven’t driven up to 20mins amass it got worst that I lost total control of the break. I didn’t panic cuz it wasn’t the first time it’s happened to me. I used it to Dangote and still drove it back like that and I still manage to drive 50km/hr at least

The Effectiveness Of "God is Good" In Action.

MICVOCT

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by MrJames007: 7:16am On Oct 02, 2023
oluwaseyi0:
Some of this things are easier said than done in real life situation
No mind dat OP. He thinks it's easy.

You won't remember anything once it happens. grin
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Johnholmes: 7:46am On Oct 02, 2023
lonelydora:
In an automatic gear, just remove your leg from the accelerator (throttle) while the gear is in "Drive"..... the "engine braking" will slow the car down.

In a manual gear, take the car to gear 1 and leave it there.

I have heard people say "put the gear in Neutral". Don't do this, please.

In all of these, steer the vehicle by concentrating on the road and look for a barrier (like road median or tree) and face the vehicle to.
Bros bros u sure say brake don fail for ur hand before??
Because this ur explanation of taking gear directly to gear 1 fit cause the car to somersault ....instead u can gradually take d gear down to gear 1 ..
For experts in the house , u gradually take d gear down and gently engage and disengage d clutch which will bring about engine braking..

I was driving a friend's car the other day and his brake failed with him in d car , I casually brought the car to a stop also letting him know that he should check his brakes immediately ,
I still drov around town with his failed brakes

The next day , I received a call that my friend had a bad accident with the car sustaining multiple injuries and fractures .,
On getting to the hospital ,where he was receiving treatment, I asked him if he checked d brakes at the mech ..,.. his answer was that he thought I was joking about his failed brakes because of how causally I stopped the car and that I even drove around town with it cheesy

My advice to every car owner is to practice this before it actually happens so ure mentally prepared in such event

3 Likes

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Johnholmes: 7:59am On Oct 02, 2023
tragergeorge:
Do brakes just fail like that??
For me there must be sign...
Most especially some driver's been managing the car till something bad come up or sometimes some yeye mechanic go use the car do trial by error

Yes broda .. they surely do ...
U may enter a pothole and d brake pipe may suddenly snap or come loose
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Johnholmes: 8:00am On Oct 02, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Just quickly switch off the ignition first and do the rest manually. Check my signature for free stuffs!
This guy wan kill person!!
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by nafisu: 8:20am On Oct 02, 2023
These things take alot to pull off, until I experienced it, I always thought it would be easy I just need to be calm, until it was a total brake failure. Lol I turned off the ignition though guided till it got to a stop. I didn't even remember to add handbrake, going down a slope with vehicles in front, I just held the steering wheel tight, put on the warning signal
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by gtassure: 8:35am On Oct 02, 2023
unbiased2021:

Don’t say all drivers.
God won’t let me have that experience. I’ve been driving for close to a decade
Really! Then you must be driving in your village en route your locality!
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by gtassure: 8:41am On Oct 02, 2023
Sammy101111:
Not all brakes will give you sign oh
I had an accident with Honda EOD the brake failed we reach like 4 inside the car . As brake failed there was a car opposite me and I don’t want to hit the car so I steer the car toward the walkway on the road I hook the car on the walk away . The airbag did not come out the only thing that was repair was the bumper and the tires .

Advice when you car break fail it if is automatic don’t panic at all once you step on the break two times and it didn’t work the steering can save you . There is how you will steer the car left and right it will reduce the speed a little just for you to calculate we’re you will direct the car
This your advice get one kind oh! If you are on or above 100km per hour, steering could give you a spin that will land your car upside down!
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by TntsoTITAN(m): 8:42am On Oct 02, 2023
While you are driving and the brakes fail
If it’s manual just put it in gear one
Then jump out like Spider-Man when the car is slow a bit haha
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Jazzman01: 8:43am On Oct 02, 2023
I think Engineers should work on this issue and come up with safety measures. One of these measures would be to introduce redundancy In the braking system. An extra braking system should be incorporated different from the handbrake which is mostly used for packing and not useful for emergency braking on medium to high speed. Redundancy will really help in averting total failure.
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Jazzman01: 8:51am On Oct 02, 2023
Johnholmes:

Bros bros u sure say brake don fail for ur hand before??
Because this ur explanation of taking gear directly to gear 1 fit cause the car to somersault ....instead u can gradually take d gear down to gear 1 ..
For experts in the house , u gradually take d gear down and gently engage and disengage d clutch which will bring about engine braking..

I was driving a friend's car the other day and his brake failed with him in d car , I casually brought the car to a stop also letting him know that he should check his brakes immediately ,
I still drov around town with his failed brakes

The next day , I received a call that my friend had a bad accident with the car sustaining multiple injuries and fractures .,
On getting to the hospital ,where he was receiving treatment, I asked him if he checked d brakes at the mech ..,.. his answer was that he thought I was joking about his failed brakes because of how causally I stopped the car and that I even drove around town with it cheesy

My advice to every car owner is to practice this before it actually happens so ure mentally prepared in such event

I guess you were not on high speed when this shit happened. No technique can save you on high speed unless you are very lucky to be on a traffic free road.
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by CedarHoldings: 9:35am On Oct 02, 2023
maureensylvia:
Thanks
If I knew this, I wouldn't haven't had that terrible accident that almost took my life September 3rd 2021

Everything happened in few seconds
I survived!
It left me with one thing... phobia for driving

I don't think I'll ever touch steering again.
No I wasn't drunk, I was avoiding a reckless Keke driver
is it the brake or avoiding keke
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by CedarHoldings: 10:06am On Oct 02, 2023
Jazzman01:
I think Engineers should work on this issue and come up with safety measures. One of these measures would be to introduce redundancy In the braking system. An extra braking system should be incorporated different from the handbrake which is mostly used for packing and not useful for emergency braking on medium to high speed. Redundancy will really help in averting total failure.
They have already have it in advance cars, na money remain to buy it, the brake system detect obstacles in front of you that period and it will come to total stop,but only in advanced cars.
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by cutiereborn(f): 10:13am On Oct 02, 2023
UncleKoboko:
shocked
IF NA AUTOMATIC GEAR AND YOU WANT TO SEE YOUR ANCESTORS IN A FLASH, SWITCH THE GEAR TO "P" PARK...

Thank me later grin grin grin
Please explain further and this time without scarasim.
I always thought that when a brake fails, putting the gear to "park" will make it slow down and eventually stop.
Kindly englighten me.
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Sammy101111(m): 10:29am On Oct 02, 2023
gtassure:

This your advice get one kind oh! If you are on or above 100km per hour, steering could give you a spin that will land your car upside down!

Bro on top speed you steer like you want to drift into a corner on top speed then don’t press the acceleration some toad are direct free the car will move even if you press brake so just wave the to both side gentle … don’t bend the steering too much so the car won’t fling upside down just steer gentle ..
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Neverlookback: 10:49am On Oct 02, 2023
If you are driving an automatic vehicle, you can always switch to the manual mode.

Drivers typically do this in snow driving where suddenly applying brakes is highly discouraged.

The vehicle will eventually slow down as you keep downshifting the gears. Once in gear 1, you may then use the hand brake to stop the vehicle.
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Osa0(m): 11:05am On Oct 02, 2023
The no panic thing will only work when you on a less busy road or you are on a low speed.....otherwise na to find bush wey ditch,swamp or iroko no dey o. 😂 😆 😆
Carmartng:

Sponsored post
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Johnholmes: 11:16am On Oct 02, 2023
Jazzman01:

I guess you were not on high speed when this shit happened. No technique can save you on high speed unless you are very lucky to be on a traffic free road.

I was on 120km/h
I did a lot of maneuvers including intermittent ly engaging and releasing the handbrake...
I've practiced it a lot b4 it actually happened maybe cause I'm a petrol head cheesy
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Mayeldah(m): 11:23am On Oct 02, 2023
HORLADY:
What if it is on third mainland bridge?

grin Just take off your leg from the throttle and just be praying make cars for your front no begin dey slow down

In Lagos you hardly speed for 2mins without getting into a traffic
Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by UncleKoboko: 12:40pm On Oct 02, 2023
cutiereborn:

Please explain further and this time without scarasim.
I always thought that when a brake fails, putting the gear to "park" will make it slow down and eventually stop.
Kindly englighten me.
It's not sarcasm o
Don't even try it
The car could tumble immediately, depending on the speed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Jazzman01: 2:47pm On Oct 02, 2023
CedarHoldings:
They have already have it in advance cars, na money remain to buy it, the brake system detect obstacles in front of you that period and it will come to total stop,but only in advanced cars.

No, you are talking about automatic braking systems but I was referring to redundancy. In Engineering, when we duplicate a particular part of a machine to serve the same purpose, we call it redundancy.

We normally use this technique when that part of the machine serves a critical purpose and its total failure will be too costly and catastrophic. For example, aircrafts are designed to operate on two engines just incase one of them fails, the other one can take over. These are some of the factors we put in mind when designing delicate machines and equipments.

1 Like

Re: How To Quickly Stop Your Car When The Brake Fails by Angrigowt: 2:50pm On Oct 02, 2023
You are a novice. Either the brake pin skipped or the brake pads were not set properly.if there is a brake oil complete in the reservoir,then a kazeem dealth with u. Brake wiring complete,brake oil complete..na brake pad realignment and brake pad pin fuc k u up. Idiot.i hate drivers like u
Sammy101111:
Not all break will give you sign oh

Advice when your car break fail if it is automatic don’t panic at all once you step on the break two times and it didn’t work the steering can save you . There is how you will steer the car left and right it will reduce the speed a little just for you to calculate we’re you will direct the car and if there is walkway on the road it will save your life you will direct the car to the walk way put the two same side tires on the walkway and let the other side be outside the walkway as the car climbs the walkway on balance it will reduce the friction of the tires it may affect the leg of your car if the walkway is high but if the walkway is low it will not damage your car only experience drivers knows what am saying
You know walkway is concrete cement .it may brake the wheel or cut the tire or damage the car leg but it will automatically stop the car if you steer it on the walkway correctly

Have done this before so it a 100% for me

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Funny Activities Of "Inspired Autos" (Fake Custom Papers And Tint Permit) / Wheels And Tyres For Truck, Suv And Cars Available At Good Rate / Water Dripping From Car Exhaust- A Good Or Bad Sign?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.