Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,523 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:44 PM

Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This (16828 Views)

Please Help Solve This Tenant Vs Landlord Issue Let Me Know My Rights / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" / Ghanaian Landlord Drinks Beer After His Arrest For Land Scam (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by anainterior2018: 7:42am On Oct 06, 2023
I promise to make this simple and short. Please kindly bear with me. however i write this am mind is filled up.
I just got an apartment where am living for now with my wife and daughter which is going to be 2yrs of me staying by January 14 2024. but the issue i have right now is that i was suppose to renew my house rent January 14 2023 the sum of 550k year due to how difficult everything was so

i make half payment on December 2022 to the lawyer and make the lawyer understand the situation of thing at the moment and he accept with me sum of 275k that's 6 month payment so hoping before June/July i will be paid the remaining half. fast forward to August 16 i message the lawyer

again on whatsapp again concerns the second half payment which i did another 275k but to my surpise after paying the said amount i got quit notice letter just 1 weeks after making payment that i shoudn't renew my rent again and i should leave the house before january 14 or by january 14. so i went to the lawyer office and let him know how i feel about this that what my offend and when you know you're given me QUIT NOTICE why collecting money from me again and he doesnt respond to my question saying the landlady complain my wife doesnt use to greet her whereas we are living in the same compound but we tenant have our own gate while the landlord have their own personal gate and compound we doesn't share the same compound because there's demarcation between the tenant and landlord.

my problem and concerns at the moment is i dont have money yet on me to rent another apartment i will really need enough time. I want people here to enlighten me on this under the law, is it how it works in Lagos state and secondly i was told they are coming for inspection of my apartment by November if i made any damage in the apartment when am still living in the apartment likewise am new to this i pay for damage the sum of 60k i never damage anything in the apartment still this moment everything is in order. i really better knowledge on this about the quite notice and inspection of house around November because i dont trust the landlord for who they claim to be PASTOR

I'm still to read and reply back

thanks

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by HopeSpencer: 7:46am On Oct 06, 2023
You struggled to pay your last rent by paying it in tranches. This means you may not be able to pay next year rent at all until 2024 runs out. That's why they quickly found a way to avoid you owing them rent and the legal battles that will accompany evicting you by force.

They gave you a notice already. 5 months enough for you to find an apartment you can afford. Live below your means.

I was paying less than 20k for house rent in the town I was until last month when I moved to another town where my family members own houses. I work from home and I'm no longer paying any rent.

87 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by anainterior2018: 7:49am On Oct 06, 2023
Please i need advise on what to do

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by jackmrandy: 7:59am On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:
Please i need advise on what to do

Lagos a very deadly state. Full with greedy landlords, lawyers, agents and what have you. What I will advice you do, get a lawyer, if they want you to leave the house, a notice windows of 6months is ok to enable you prepare and source for another accommodation. Talk to the landlord. Get a lawyer who knows much about the tenancy law in lagos. Nor let them use you. If people open their mouth to tell you what they are going through in lagos you will. Be amaze. It's a f***King state.

The notice window should be after your rent has expired.

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by visaclick: 8:03am On Oct 06, 2023
This is how bad wives put their husbands in trouble. The problem with a bad character is that your landlord will use it against u when theres no other reason to evict you. You have no other option than to pack out, no matter the law, the house still belongs to him and nothing can change that.

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Zonefree(m): 8:03am On Oct 06, 2023
he doesnt respond to my question saying the landlady complain my wife doesnt use to greet her

Women undecided

Husband and Landlord are tight friends but Wife and Landlady are 'cat and dog'.

Now, landlord has to evict his friend cos of a woman.

The world would have been a better place without women.

Always remember, God and Adam were paddy until Eve came.

63 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by anainterior2018: 8:06am On Oct 06, 2023
HopeSpencer:
You struggled to pay your last rent by paying it in tranches. This means you may not be able to pay next year rent at all until 2024 runs out. That's why they quickly found a way to avoid you owing them rent and the legal battles that will accompany evicting you by force.

They gave you a notice already. 5 months enough for you to find an apartment you can afford. Live below your means.

I was paying less than 20k for house rent in the town I was until last month when I moved to another town where my family members own houses. I work from home and I'm no longer paying any rent.

i understand a friend told me they are suppose to refund me back that since there's no refund that i still have right to spend at least 3 month after my due date under the law.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Foodqueen(f): 8:06am On Oct 06, 2023
Does your wife greet her or not

Don't justify the fact that u don't share entrance, u will definitely see each other somehow.

All these kain women wey no de like peace sef...

23 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by visaclick: 8:08am On Oct 06, 2023
Foodqueen:
Does your wife greet her or not

Don't justify the fact that u don't share entrance, u will definitely see each other somehow.

All these kain women wey no de like peace sef...
am sure she doesn’t and it is women thing in general especially the educated ones, they always have problems adapting to any environment and some will have their husbands renting new apartments every single year. They will always find an excuse to say the house or environment is not suitable to them.

37 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Zonefree(m): 8:11am On Oct 06, 2023
visaclick:
am sure she doesn’t and it is women thing in general especially the educated ones, they always have problems adapting to any environment and some will have their husbands renting new apartments every single year. They will always find an excuse to say the house or environment is not suitable to them.

A woman under your roof will be making you change environment every single year and you can't curtail her ?

Yes we know that educated women are recipe for disaster, but, they shouldn't be putting you in panic mood every single year.

I'll advise OP to allow his 'beloved' wife to go house hunting, so she can experience what it feels like to change environment every time.

38 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by talented321: 8:14am On Oct 06, 2023
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by anainterior2018: 8:15am On Oct 06, 2023
visaclick:
This is how bad wives put their husbands in trouble. The problem with a bad character is that your landlord will use it against u when theres no other reason to evict you. You have no other option than to pack out, no matter the law, the house still belongs to him and nothing can change that.

of course that can't be change for real i just need time to find good house so i will not fall victims of bad house again. because i discover since i move into this house hardly everything work fine. i even observe my co tenant who just package out of the compound need to sell his car to get new apartment somewhere.

3 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by anainterior2018: 8:18am On Oct 06, 2023
visaclick:

my wife always her including me but i cant saying maybe whenever am off for work or not around. its well

1 Like

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by visaclick: 8:18am On Oct 06, 2023
Zonefree:

A woman under your roof will be making you change environment every single year and you can't curtail her ?

Yes we know that educated women are recipe for disaster, but, they shouldn't be putting you in panic mood every single year.

I'll advise you allow your 'beloved' wife to go house hunting, so she can experience what it feels like to change environment every time.
am in the real estate business and i have seen it countless times.

3 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by ONEjoblessGUY: 8:31am On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:
I promise to make this simple and short. Please kindly bear with me. however i write this am mind is filled up.
I just got an apartment where am living for now with my wife and daughter which is going to be 2yrs of me staying by January 14 2024. but the issue i have right now is that i was suppose to renew my house rent January 14 2023 the sum of 550k year due to how difficult everything was so

i make half payment on December 2022 to the lawyer and make the lawyer understand the situation of thing at the moment and he accept with me sum of 275k that's 6 month payment so hoping before June/July i will be paid the remaining half. fast forward to August 16 i message the lawyer

again on whatsapp again concerns the second half payment which i did another 275k but to my surpise after paying the said amount i got quit notice letter just 1 weeks after making payment that i shoudn't renew my rent again and i should leave the house before january 14 or by january 14. so i went to the lawyer office and let him know how i feel about this that what my offend and when you know you're given me QUIT NOTICE why collecting money from me again and he doesnt respond to my question saying the landlady complain my wife doesnt use to greet her whereas we are living in the same compound but we tenant have our own gate while the landlord have their own personal gate and compound we doesn't share the same compound because there's demarcation between the tenant and landlord.

my problem and concerns at the moment is i dont have money yet on me to rent another apartment i will really need enough time. I want people here to enlighten me on this under the law, is it how it works in Lagos state and secondly i was told they are coming for inspection of my apartment by November if i made any damage in the apartment when am still living in the apartment likewise am new to this i pay for damage the sum of 60k i never damage anything in the apartment still this moment everything is in order. i really better knowledge on this about the quite notice and inspection of house around November because i dont trust the landlord for who they claim to be PASTOR

I'm still to read and reply back

thanks

My brother everything no be law.......

Since things r presently rough with u.........jux down yo ego and talk to the landlady herself one on one..........say thing to suit her ego trust me she would back down on the quit notice........

Honestly.........most landlady especially from rural part of Lagos take greetings seriously infact from tenants wives....... cheesy wink

Presently.........where I stay my landlord issue quit notice freely hiding under Female tenant or tenants wives not greeting...........and yes I affirm most female tenant/tenants wives don't..........

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Erums(m): 9:50am On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:

of course that can't be change for real i just need time to find good house so i will not fall victims of bad house again. because i discover since i move into this house hardly everything work fine. i even observe my co tenant who just package out of the compound need to sell his car to get new apartment somewhere.

What mentality is this , how is that the house issue, dont you see the turn out of the country have your pay increased or that of your friend?...just dey play first

5 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Puss360(f): 11:10am On Oct 06, 2023
Lol... Your wife's ability to greet or inability is not the issue here...
The issue here is that, your rent is bigger than you...
Lagos is diverse. Go out there and look for an accomodation that fits your financial capability...
Any tenant that can't pay one year rent in full has serious financial issues and if not tackled on time, will bring problem in future...
If it's half of the money u can afford of NGN275K, then go look for house that can collect same amount for one full year...
Nothing to beg here...
Just ask for quit notice and move on...
Then tell your wife to smile and greet people..
It cost nothing and saves unforseen problem

99 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Nazgul: 12:03pm On Oct 06, 2023
Someone has already pointed out the main reason why you were served quit notice.

Believe me, it's got nothing to do with your wife. It took you almost a whole year to complete your rent. They're having serious doubts about you making an early payment next year. No landlord wants that.

I would advise you to look for somewhere much cheaper since it's obvious that raising 500k has become a Herculean task for you.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Nice2023(m): 1:23pm On Oct 06, 2023
Sad
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by MasterJayJay: 6:12pm On Oct 06, 2023
anainterior2018:

i understand a friend told me they are suppose to refund me back that since there's no refund that i still have right to spend at least 3 month after my due date under the law.

Refund of what? Your friend na olodo! If you listen to him, you will enter in a trap.

The 3 months after due date, you think it is free? You will still pay the landlord for any extra day you live in that house after the due date.

You should start looking for another apartment that is cheaper than the present one you occupy.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Vyreell(m): 7:47pm On Oct 06, 2023
Bro, I’ll advise you hit the ground running, cos time wait for no one and you’ve got about 3 months left. As a Man you’ve got that responsibility. Hit back to the grind and be optimistic. No time to argue with your Landlord.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by NutritionGuru: 7:47pm On Oct 06, 2023
talented321:
#LetTinubuBreathe is now trending on Social Media! Yes, well meaning Nigerians that really love this Nation and want Progress of this Country have started calling out:
https://www.nairaland.com/7867832/igbo-leader-tells-opposition-leaders#126241939

3 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by karzyharsky(m): 7:47pm On Oct 06, 2023
Oo
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by ThiefnubuBandit: 7:50pm On Oct 06, 2023
Na wah. Gbola Teenubu couldn't provide affordable housing for the 8 years he ruled Lagos State.

3 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Wizardslayer: 7:51pm On Oct 06, 2023
Since the Lagos landlord take over as the landlord of Nigeria and the CSU saga ensued, I have not heard from our proff Soyinka.

Please where's Soyinka

4 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by datopaper(m): 7:51pm On Oct 06, 2023
1r
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Learnenglish247: 7:51pm On Oct 06, 2023
They don't want you owing them rent. It's as simple as that. Look for a place below your means.

Mary is Killing the Man in Me - Lord of Lemon cries out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9r8OfINNL8?si=tI29aR3r9hM7uk9z

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Nemesis0147(m): 7:51pm On Oct 06, 2023
D
Re: Landlord Issue I Need More Knowledge About This by Kobicove(m): 7:52pm On Oct 06, 2023
The real reason they asked you to leave the house is because they feel you will not be able to renew the next rent since you struggled to pay the current one.

That story about your wife not greeting the landlady is just an excuse.

...and by the way anyone telling you that you can spend 6 months in another person's house without paying any rent just because you were given quit notice is talking rubbish! undecided

32 Likes 5 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Heavy Duty Cranes For Hire In Lagos / Farmland For Oil Palm Plantation At Cheap Price. / Two 3-Storey Buildings Collapse In Aba, One Dead (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.