Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,959 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Reciprocity: Nigeria To Review Visa On Arrival Policy - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Reciprocity: Nigeria To Review Visa On Arrival Policy (406 Views)

US Government Removes Visa Reciprocity Fees For Nigerians / Robbery: We Didn’t Review Visa Validity For Nigerians –UAE / Immigration Suspends $90 Biometric Visa On Arrival Policy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reciprocity: Nigeria To Review Visa On Arrival Policy by MissLeslie(m): 10:01am On Oct 06, 2023
The federal government has vowed to begin execution of the principle of reciprocity in international relations, especially with regard to its visa on arrival policy.

To this end, the Minister of Interior, Dr. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, has set up a committee, headed by the Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Oluwatoyin Akinlade, to come up with a report on how best to implement the strategy.

At a briefing in Abuja, yesterday, Tunji-Ojo said Nigeria could not be offering visas on a platter to nationals of some countries, who are coming to the country to make money, and yet such countries would not reciprocate the gesture to Nigeria’s travelling public who go to such countries to spend their money.

“We have set up a committee, chaired by the permanent secretary, to review our passport and visa policy. The director, joint services, is the secretary and NIS CG is a member among others.

“Nigeria is not a thrash and we cannot be treated as such. Visa is based on reciprocity anywhere in the world and that is why we are seriously looking at our visa on arrival policy. ”There is no point allowing someone enjoy that when he gets to Nigeria and we don’t enjoy that when we go there.

”The committee has about two weeks to submit its report. Once we enforce this principle of reciprocity, people will call us to talk too because most of these people who come to Nigeria come to make money and yet we go to their own countries to spend money.

”Yet, they make it difficult for Nigerians. We are working with the ministry of foreign affairs on this.”

The minister also said as part of his passport reforms, he had engaged service providers of the ministry to establish more passport front offices according to earlier contractual agreements.

“Somebody cannot leave in Akoko and he needs to travel to Akure just for the sake of biometrics. The cost of travelling, the risk to life and the inconveniences. These are the issues we are trying to tackle.”

to which you defend the interest of the nation. We have told them that.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/10/reciprocity-nigeria-to-review-visa-on-arrival-policy/

2 Likes

Re: Reciprocity: Nigeria To Review Visa On Arrival Policy by TemplarLandry: 10:06am On Oct 06, 2023
The appointment of Honorable Olubunmi Ojo is another testament to the fact that Jagaban has the special skill of spotting talents.

The Interior Minister has an in-depth understanding of his job. He keeps impressing us.

#RenewedHope

1 Like

Re: Reciprocity: Nigeria To Review Visa On Arrival Policy by BoldBrainz(m): 10:24am On Oct 06, 2023
Whoever eventually turns out to be the Nigerian President should retain this Tunji Ojo in his cabinet. The man is an asset.

2 Likes

Re: Reciprocity: Nigeria To Review Visa On Arrival Policy by FreeStuffsNG: 10:29am On Oct 06, 2023
MissLeslie:
The federal government has vowed to begin execution of the principle of reciprocity in international relations, especially with regard to its visa on arrival policy.

To this end, the Minister of Interior, Dr. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo, has set up a committee, headed by the Permanent Secretary in the ministry, Oluwatoyin Akinlade, to come up with a report on how best to implement the strategy.

At a briefing in Abuja, yesterday, Tunji-Ojo said Nigeria could not be offering visas on a platter to nationals of some countries, who are coming to the country to make money, and yet such countries would not reciprocate the gesture to Nigeria’s travelling public who go to such countries to spend their money.

“We have set up a committee, chaired by the permanent secretary, to review our passport and visa policy. The director, joint services, is the secretary and NIS CG is a member among others.

“Nigeria is not a thrash and we cannot be treated as such. Visa is based on reciprocity anywhere in the world and that is why we are seriously looking at our visa on arrival policy. ”There is no point allowing someone enjoy that when he gets to Nigeria and we don’t enjoy that when we go there.

”The committee has about two weeks to submit its report. Once we enforce this principle of reciprocity, people will call us to talk too because most of these people who come to Nigeria come to make money and yet we go to their own countries to spend money.

”Yet, they make it difficult for Nigerians. We are working with the ministry of foreign affairs on this.”

The minister also said as part of his passport reforms, he had engaged service providers of the ministry to establish more passport front offices according to earlier contractual agreements.

“Somebody cannot leave in Akoko and he needs to travel to Akure just for the sake of biometrics. The cost of travelling, the risk to life and the inconveniences. These are the issues we are trying to tackle.”

to which you defend the interest of the nation. We have told them that.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2023/10/reciprocity-nigeria-to-review-visa-on-arrival-policy/
Brilliant! Reciprocity is done everywhere in the world. It's the best way to collaborate and can be domesticated too.

That's why all the SW states must adopt it too as adviced here :
LAGOS GUBER & PLIGHT OF IGBO: Law Of Reciprocity Is The Solution
https://www.nairaland.com/7612989/lagos-guber-plight-igbo-law

Let's collaborate by reciprocity so we can have equitable and sustainable relationship among ourselves and the states. It helps us place value on what we each offer to one another and de-escalate our fault lines.

Every resource must be exchanged by reciprocity for collaboration. Every state has resources to exchange so bring it to the table and use for exchange.
Re: Reciprocity: Nigeria To Review Visa On Arrival Policy by Dreal1247: 10:30am On Oct 06, 2023
TemplarLandry:
The appointment of Honorable Olubunmi Ojo is another testament to the fact that Jagaban has the special skill of spotting talents.

The Interior Minister has an in-depth understanding of his job. He keeps impressing us.

#RenewedHope
I only pray that working with Tinubu doesn't have negative effects on his personality. You cannot defend or work for Tinubu without appearing stupid.
Re: Reciprocity: Nigeria To Review Visa On Arrival Policy by MissLeslie(m): 12:21pm On Oct 06, 2023
BoldBrainz:
Whoever eventually turns out to be the Nigerian President should retain this Tunji Ojo in his cabinet. The man is an asset.
👍👍
Re: Reciprocity: Nigeria To Review Visa On Arrival Policy by Purvan(m): 2:54pm On Oct 06, 2023
Yoruba peeps are big for nothing
Re: Reciprocity: Nigeria To Review Visa On Arrival Policy by Kenn55: 6:18pm On Oct 06, 2023
I don't understand. This is just like throwing red meat to the base. Who are they targeting?

The last time I checked, majority of the countries in the world including US,Canada,UK and Europe all require visa to enter Nigeria so what is this all about?

Are they targeting the few African countries that get visa on arrival?

I think this guy just want to make it look like he is working otherwise I don't see how it changes anything.

Anyone who understands the substance of this move not just the headline should explain to me, maybe I'm wrong
Re: Reciprocity: Nigeria To Review Visa On Arrival Policy by ednut1(m): 6:53pm On Oct 06, 2023
Kenn55:
I don't understand. This is just like throwing red meat to the base. Who are they targeting?

The last time I checked, majority of the countries in the world including US,Canada,UK and Europe all require visa to enter Nigeria so what is this all about?

Are they targeting the few African countries that get visa on arrival?

I think this guy just want to make it look like he is working otherwise I don't see how it changes anything.

Anyone who understands the substance of this move not just the headline should explain to me, maybe I'm wrong
performative action . The guy is probably aiming to be a governor. The countries that we offer visa on arrival how many of their citizens are coming to Nigeria. No better country will offer us visa on arrival as Nigerians will flood the place and wont return home 🤣
Re: Reciprocity: Nigeria To Review Visa On Arrival Policy by Originalsly: 12:46am On Oct 07, 2023
Makes sense. I wouldn't blame the other countries for restricting us ... the blame is on us for allowing others to March into our country without scrutiny.

(1) (Reply)

Vienna, Austria �� / Nigerians React To A Video Of A Paris Neighborhood Likened To Nigeria / Category B German Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.