Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:09 PM

I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test (1890 Views)

I Now Have An Extra Year. So Sad. / Graduates Of Benin Republic Versities Can't Write English Word - NYSC Director / UI Postgraduate (english Test) Past Questions And Answers PDF Free Download (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by luksyb: 11:09am On Oct 06, 2023
Even though we were colonised by the British and our official language is English, our level of understanding of the English language is somehow low.

I come in peace. What's your opinion?

3 Likes

Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by Sirmwill: 11:29am On Oct 06, 2023
Where has your own high level of English taken you to?

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by WeirdAlien: 2:12pm On Oct 06, 2023
Low as in how?
I've heard many Nigerians speak English better than some native Brits.
You as a Nigerian, how fluently can you speak your local language? This is what should be your real concern.
If you pass WAEC or NECO without cheating, then your English is good enough.

16 Likes

Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by Nobody: 3:10pm On Oct 06, 2023
Okay
Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by JohnAOne: 3:28pm On Oct 06, 2023
luksyb:
Even though we were colonised by the British and our official language is English, our level of understanding of the English language is somehow low.

Not "somehow" low, it is abysmal!

Most Nigerians don't know English Language.

What we speak and write here is "Nigerian English" which may be OK within Nigeria.

But if you're going outside the shores of this country, particularly to a predominantly anglophone speaking country, then we need to drop the "Nigerian English" and really learn the "English" of the English.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by Ate247(m): 3:30pm On Oct 06, 2023
luksyb:

na low self-esteem dey worry you.

5 Likes

Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by DesChyko: 5:23pm On Oct 06, 2023
Well, we do have an issue with English but we're way better than some countries who do not write TOEFL/IELTS.

2 Likes

Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by Balaking: 5:34pm On Oct 06, 2023
OP are you related to Tiamiyu 😂

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by Natbrowny: 6:22pm On Oct 06, 2023
See dis one.

Some americans and i mean a large sum cant write English. They only speak it because its their language.

Op. U well so..

5 Likes

Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by Waterlilly: 6:29pm On Oct 06, 2023
you don chop belle full
Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by PaganTerrorist: 6:53pm On Oct 06, 2023
UK is full , stop coming here till you go collect wetin you come find here

Stay where you're
Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by Mavinsoladele(m): 10:19pm On Oct 06, 2023
Sirmwill:

🤔
Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by Macmilla(m): 10:44pm On Oct 06, 2023
luksyb:

Not somehow low, but extremely low for a lot of people. Only few can actually speak and write confidently well. Join a community Whatsapp group and you will understand.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by majralph: 11:10pm On Oct 06, 2023
Lol, OP said level of understanding, not just about speaking and writing but the ability to decode the message being passed

1 Like

Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by alfredfrddy(m): 11:52pm On Oct 06, 2023
JohnAOne:
Not "somehow" low, it is abysmal!

Most Nigerians don't know English Language.

What we speak and write here is "Nigerian English" which may be OK within Nigeria.

But if you're going outside the shores of this country, particularly to a predominantly anglophone speaking country, then we need to drop the "Nigerian English" and really learn the "English" of the English.
is that why we should write an English test? That shit is only money spinner for those countries. That I wrote the test and pass doesn't make me speak English that well. Wait, when I get to UK, I'll adjust to their, unlearn my Nigerian English, and pick up their English. Some statements don't make sense as such comparisons are baseless. Why not worry about our local dialects that are going extinct as much as we struggle to pass an English test? In case you don't know, westerners are really learning our dialects, they write no paid test to show their proficiency in them. But the truth is, we have secrets no more as they understand our dialects better that us as much as they understand English better than us as well.
Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by JohnAOne: 12:20am On Oct 07, 2023
alfredfrddy:
is that why we should write an English test? That shit is only money spinner for those countries. That I wrote the test and pass doesn't make me speak English that well. Wait, when I get to UK, I'll adjust to their, unlearn my Nigerian English, and pick up their English. Some statements don't make sense as such comparisons are baseless. Why not worry about our local dialects that are going extinct as much as we struggle to pass an English test? In case you don't know, westerners are really learning our dialects, they write no paid test to show their proficiency in them. But the truth is, we have secrets no more as they understand our dialects better that us as much as they understand English better than us as well.
See, I'm not so much of an emotional or sentimental person.

If you want to go to the whites man's country and they say learn our language so you'll be able to learn our nuances, diction, culture, and the way we communicate, then learn, or else stay for your papa land.

It's a money spinner Abi, dem get the right to do as dem please so far na their country!

You too find way to promote and make your native language profitable.

But as for that English oo, if Oyinbo say you must learn am, so far you wan work for their country (not holiday oh), you must learn am.
Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by Desusi: 2:14am On Oct 07, 2023
WeirdAlien:
Low as in how?
I've heard many Nigerians speak English better than some native Brits.
You as a Nigerian, how fluently can you speak your local language? This is what should be your real concern.
If you pass WAEC or NECO without cheating, then your English is good enough.
Tell him my brother. Nigerian are English master's,even Europeans visit unilag to learn English. Tueh.

1 Like

Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by Jayson504(m): 5:27am On Oct 07, 2023
Writing an English proficiency exam or test should optional, and not mandatory. English is undoubtedly Nigeria's official language, and is spoken throughout the entire country.
Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by Nairalander248: 6:11am On Oct 07, 2023
luksyb:

The level of errors in your context above is something else

"Despite being colonized by the British and having English as our official language, our understanding of the English language is somewhat limited."

No wonder, you actually need the English Language Test. cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by pixey(m): 6:15am On Oct 07, 2023
Sirmwill:
No mind am na commission he dey find for ILETS marketing scheme.
Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by Pharaohny: 6:21am On Oct 07, 2023
shaa drop your IELTS center as par wetin you come advertise be that
Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by zinaunreal(m): 6:40am On Oct 07, 2023
luksyb:

Some how low? Is that English correct?

Go and check yourself. That's how you come on here to ridicule your fellow negros. Do a proper research on how English is spoken all around the globe before you come here to castigate. Even in the so called colonizers country not all of them can speak this so called perfect English they are preaching. Theres different dialect of English both oral and spoken so what do you mean some how low?

Do you know that in South United states you can barely hear what a southerner is saying if you don't put your some effort with concentration? Their English is absolutely native and very broken, especially country side dwellers

So as Australia , Ireland and even England itself. So we should say that because they are the colonizers then what ever they utter is Absolute? Omo sometimes I weep for some low level awareness we still have among ourselves in this era of smart phones and internet

Just respect yourself with your unresearched utterances.
Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by Kenmatt(m): 6:46am On Oct 07, 2023
alfredfrddy:

This is an English thread, if you can pour your feelings out with accurate grammar in English, please read and move on.

Everyone must not drop comments.
Re: I Now Fully Support The Uk As To Why Nigerians Should Write English Test by Purvan(m): 10:21am On Oct 07, 2023
UK would soon start making strict immigration policies

No more japa to UK , Make everybody day their country

(1) (Reply)

Free Education : Many Thanks To Late Obafemi Awolowo And Late Chief Bola Ige / Neco Timetable / When Is Unilorin Matric Comin Up?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.