Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,834 members, 7,817,452 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media (443 Views)

Battle For Lagos: APC, Opposition Parties Fight Dirty / Peter Obi Condemns Intimidation Of Obidients. / Adeleke Vs Oyetola: Group Alleges Intimidation Of Supreme Court Judges By APC Le (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by jude79(m): 8:02am On Oct 08, 2023
Labour Party Spokesman Slams NBC Over Letter to Arise TV, Makes Demands
Photo of Daniel Daniel Daniel Daniel Follow on TwitterOctober 7, 2023 3 minutes read

The spokesman for the Labour Party (LP) Presidential Campaign Council, Kenneth Okonkwo, has described the letter from the National Broadcasting Service (NBC) to Arise Television as an outright infringement of his fundamental human rights.

POLITICS NIGERIA reports that Okonkwo, in a statement on Saturday, said the letter was an attempt to erode his right to freely hold thoughts, which he expressed while a guest on the morning show of the television.

He said the import of the letter, which was to intimidate him and the television house, was baseless.

Okonkwo said the NBC Director-General, Balarabe Shehu Ilelah, ill-advisedly mentioned his name in his letter as making an unguarded utterance simply because he confirmed that the Chicago State University certificate, which Bola Ahmed Tinubu (BAT) submitted to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), was forged.

He said this was so because the university had expressly stated that the certificate did not come from them, which is the condition necessary to prove forgery.

Okonkwo said the NBC has no power to fine or sanction any media house and that intimidating or manipulating the media house is a form of sanction and is unlawful.

The full statement reads:

KENNETH OKONKWO REPLIES NATIONAL BROADCASTING COMMISSION

OPEN LETTER TO MR BALARABE SHEHU ILELAH, DG NATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION (NBC)

I read the letter written by Mr Balarabe Shehu Ilelah, DG of NBC, and wish to state as follows:

1. I sympathize with him in this unfortunate journey intended to please his employers, but state that he would have been more wise and circumspect in going about it.

2. Maybe he is not aware that the Court has decided that NBC has no power to fine or sanction any media house. Intimidating or manipulating the media house is a form of sanction and is unlawful.

3. He ill-advisedly mentioned my name in his letter as making an unguarded utterance simply because I confirmed that the Chicago State University certificate, which BAT submitted to INEC, was forged, for the simple reason that the University has expressly stated that the certificate did not come from them, which is the condition necessary to prove forgery.

4. This statement is an outright infringement on my fundamental human rights as enshrined in Sections 38 and 39, which provide that “every person shall be entitled to freedom of thought…; every person shall be entitled to freedom of expression, including freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart ideas and information, ideas and information without interference”.

5. These rights are superior to the NBC Statute which the DG incorrectly stated and his mentioning my name in his letter is an attempt to rudely interfere with my divinely and constitutionally guaranteed rights and he should desist henceforth from further mentioning my name in any letter or communication whatsoever. I remind him that, by law, any infringement on the fundamental human rights of Nigerians attracts punishment of damages.

6. The Constitution also protects the right of the media in Section 22 to be free to uphold the responsibility and accountability of the Government to the people. Again the DG does not have the right to deny Arise TV their right to hold the government accountable to the people.

7. It’s unfortunate that when all media houses condemned Mmesoma for forging her Jamb certificate, and rightly too, without being convicted by a court, simply because JAMB disowned her certificate, and rightly too, the DG didn’t write to any TV station or mention the name of any guest on TV who condemned such forgery. Now that the certificate of the President is disowned by the University that purportedly issued it, the DG has suddenly found his mouth to mention the names of the people who condemned such forgery of the certificate after the university disowned it and even wrote the media house to threaten it.

8. The only unguarded utterance here is the ill-advised letter written by the DG to Arise TV and this must stop. I did not make my name by forging my certificates, I made my name by investing the talent of acting God has deposited in me to create a new movie industry called Nollywood which started with the movie Living in Bondage, and which pleased God to make me the first Actor of the industry which is employing millions of Nigerian Youths. I have since improved to become a Lawyer and advocate for a New Nigeria, which preceded this new political dispensation.

9. If your letter is an attempt at intimidating me not to say the truth, you have failed because I have already decided to fight for a new Nigeria based on the truth, realizing that truth is the only thing that brings genuine and permanent solutions to a nation’s problem. It is letters like your own that have prompted foreign entities to wrongly ascribe forgery as a Nigerian thing. Please desist from such letters.

10. Sir, I humbly take exception to your using my name disrespectfully and demand an apology from you. I will restrict myself and be as civil as possible in this writing because this is the first time you are embarking on this misadventure. I will certainly not be this civil next time if this attitude continues.

Accept my best regards and thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

Sincerely,
Kenneth Okonkwo Esq.

Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by jude79(m): 8:08am On Oct 08, 2023
Apc muscled themselves into power using the power of a free media, today APC is doing everything within their power to kill the media that brought them to power, what an irony

Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by jude79(m): 8:20am On Oct 08, 2023
Two institution, JAMB and CSU

claimed that credentials submitted by two individuals MMESOMA and TINUBU respectively

to two organisation, INNOSSON and INEC respectively

are not from them, the media was allowed to broadcast that of MMESOMA to high heavens but at now being intimidated not to broadcast that of TINUBU, height of hypocrisy.

2 Likes

Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by jude79(m): 8:25am On Oct 08, 2023
APC, a party that claimed sanctimonious disposition against PDP over corruption, ended up plunging Nigeria into heavier corruption to the extent that Nigeria made the worst corruption ranking on transparency international, what an irony.
Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by Christistruth03: 8:26am On Oct 08, 2023
Hate speech and Fake News are not Press Freedom!!!

3 Likes

Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by Meagainstthem: 8:32am On Oct 08, 2023
I'm not surprised,if Ivy Uzoukwu and Ikpeazu can be charge and bail lawyer,what do you expect this one to be?

1 Like

Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by EXOUSIAng: 8:38am On Oct 08, 2023
If this people understand the level to which fake news and hate speech has destroyed this country hmmmm.
The entire Obidient movement was built on fake news, hate speech etc tho.

It's only in Nigeria that people feel they can say whatever they like without consequences,

Nnamdi Kanu had never met Buhari before yet he told them how his ear had changed ( This was when Buhari return after his ear surgery in UK), said he was dead and we had Jubril, someone who has never met Buhari aside pictures and videos, and these same set of people believed and swore with their lives that it was true, the mind of an average Obidient is weak, they are constantly looking for something to blame their situation on, this gave Nnamdi, Obi and now Ekpa the room to mess with them.....

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by EXOUSIAng: 8:40am On Oct 08, 2023
It is intimidation of the media because now Arise won't be able to do their dirty work anymore.

1 Like

Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by Dafresh: 8:41am On Oct 08, 2023
Christistruth03:
What is hate speech?
Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by jude79(m): 8:55am On Oct 08, 2023
EXOUSIAng:
If this people understand the level to which fake news and hate speech has destroyed this country hmmmm.
The entire Obidient movement was built on fake news, hate speech etc tho.

It's only in Nigeria that people feel they can say whatever they like without consequences,

Nnamdi Kanu had never met Buhari before yet he told them how his ear had changed ( This was when Buhari return after his ear surgery in UK), said he was dead and we had Jubril, someone who has never met Buhari aside pictures and videos, and these same set of people believed and swore with their lives that it was true, the mind of an average Obidient is weak, they are constantly looking for something to blame their situation on, this gave Nnamdi, Obi and now Ekpa the room to mess with them.....

APC, the party who used fake news and propaganda of corruption in government of PDP to remove PDP is now ranking more than PDP on corruption perception index, but won't allow the media to report on their corruption, this is the highest level of hypocrisy
Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by jude79(m): 8:58am On Oct 08, 2023
Dafresh:

What is hate speech?

Hate speech is when Nigerians point out the humongous corruption going on in APC's government
Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by jude79(m): 9:03am On Oct 08, 2023
Christistruth03:

Fake news that APC used in ousting PDP against CSU's deposition that the particular document submitted to inec is not from them or the fact that the man at the centre of the controversy never collected his original certificate.
Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by jude79(m): 9:14am On Oct 08, 2023
EXOUSIAng:
It is intimidation of the media because now Arise won't be able to do their dirty work anymore.

The dirty work of arise tv is interviewing the oppositions media representatives of other parties, but it is not dirty work when APC media representatives are interviewed by same arise tv, meanwhile all the tribalistic ethnically and religiously, bigoted hate speech were made by APC rep, but we were told to forget it and to accept it as politics, yet oppositions can't be allowed to say the truth

1 Like

Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by jude79(m): 9:16am On Oct 08, 2023
Here is what APC has reduced Nigerian youths to

2 Dead, Others Arrested As APC Thugs Clash Over Sharing Formula In Kogi
Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by gabbytabby: 9:37am On Oct 08, 2023
Reverse psychology aggressive bullies.

jude79:
Labour Party Spokesman Slams NBC Over Letter to Arise TV, Makes Demands
Photo of Daniel Daniel Daniel Daniel Follow on TwitterOctober 7, 2023 3 minutes read

The spokesman for the Labour Party (LP) Presidential Campaign Council, Kenneth Okonkwo, has described the letter from the National Broadcasting Service (NBC) to Arise Television as an outright infringement of his fundamental human rights.

POLITICS NIGERIA reports that Okonkwo, in a statement on Saturday, said the letter was an attempt to erode his right to freely hold thoughts, which he expressed while a guest on the morning show of the television.

He said the import of the letter, which was to intimidate him and the television house, was baseless.

Okonkwo said the NBC Director-General, Balarabe Shehu Ilelah, ill-advisedly mentioned his name in his letter as making an unguarded utterance simply because he confirmed that the Chicago State University certificate, which Bola Ahmed Tinubu (BAT) submitted to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), was forged.

He said this was so because the university had expressly stated that the certificate did not come from them, which is the condition necessary to prove forgery.

Okonkwo said the NBC has no power to fine or sanction any media house and that intimidating or manipulating the media house is a form of sanction and is unlawful.

The full statement reads:

KENNETH OKONKWO REPLIES NATIONAL BROADCASTING COMMISSION

OPEN LETTER TO MR BALARABE SHEHU ILELAH, DG NATIONAL BROADCASTING CORPORATION (NBC)

I read the letter written by Mr Balarabe Shehu Ilelah, DG of NBC, and wish to state as follows:

1. I sympathize with him in this unfortunate journey intended to please his employers, but state that he would have been more wise and circumspect in going about it.

2. Maybe he is not aware that the Court has decided that NBC has no power to fine or sanction any media house. Intimidating or manipulating the media house is a form of sanction and is unlawful.

3. He ill-advisedly mentioned my name in his letter as making an unguarded utterance simply because I confirmed that the Chicago State University certificate, which BAT submitted to INEC, was forged, for the simple reason that the University has expressly stated that the certificate did not come from them, which is the condition necessary to prove forgery.

4. This statement is an outright infringement on my fundamental human rights as enshrined in Sections 38 and 39, which provide that “every person shall be entitled to freedom of thought…; every person shall be entitled to freedom of expression, including freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart ideas and information, ideas and information without interference”.

5. These rights are superior to the NBC Statute which the DG incorrectly stated and his mentioning my name in his letter is an attempt to rudely interfere with my divinely and constitutionally guaranteed rights and he should desist henceforth from further mentioning my name in any letter or communication whatsoever. I remind him that, by law, any infringement on the fundamental human rights of Nigerians attracts punishment of damages.

6. The Constitution also protects the right of the media in Section 22 to be free to uphold the responsibility and accountability of the Government to the people. Again the DG does not have the right to deny Arise TV their right to hold the government accountable to the people.

7. It’s unfortunate that when all media houses condemned Mmesoma for forging her Jamb certificate, and rightly too, without being convicted by a court, simply because JAMB disowned her certificate, and rightly too, the DG didn’t write to any TV station or mention the name of any guest on TV who condemned such forgery. Now that the certificate of the President is disowned by the University that purportedly issued it, the DG has suddenly found his mouth to mention the names of the people who condemned such forgery of the certificate after the university disowned it and even wrote the media house to threaten it.

8. The only unguarded utterance here is the ill-advised letter written by the DG to Arise TV and this must stop. I did not make my name by forging my certificates, I made my name by investing the talent of acting God has deposited in me to create a new movie industry called Nollywood which started with the movie Living in Bondage, and which pleased God to make me the first Actor of the industry which is employing millions of Nigerian Youths. I have since improved to become a Lawyer and advocate for a New Nigeria, which preceded this new political dispensation.

9. If your letter is an attempt at intimidating me not to say the truth, you have failed because I have already decided to fight for a new Nigeria based on the truth, realizing that truth is the only thing that brings genuine and permanent solutions to a nation’s problem. It is letters like your own that have prompted foreign entities to wrongly ascribe forgery as a Nigerian thing. Please desist from such letters.

10. Sir, I humbly take exception to your using my name disrespectfully and demand an apology from you. I will restrict myself and be as civil as possible in this writing because this is the first time you are embarking on this misadventure. I will certainly not be this civil next time if this attitude continues.

Accept my best regards and thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

Sincerely,
Kenneth Okonkwo Esq.
Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by yarimo(m): 10:51am On Oct 08, 2023
Defamations and fake news not part of Nigeria constitution
Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by jude79(m): 10:52am On Oct 08, 2023
gabbytabby:
Revised psychology aggressive bullies.

the picture below perfectly explains APC modus operandi

Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by Dafresh: 12:32pm On Oct 08, 2023
jude79:

Hate speech is when Nigerians point out the humongous corruption going on in APC's government
gbam God bless you
Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by Christistruth03: 3:59pm On Oct 08, 2023
jude79:

Fake news that APC used in ousting PDP against CSU's deposition that the particular document submitted to inec is not from them or the fact that the man at the centre of the controversy never collected his original certificate.

Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by Christistruth03: 4:15pm On Oct 08, 2023
Dafresh:

What is hate speech?

Google is your friend
Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by EXOUSIAng: 4:59pm On Oct 08, 2023
jude79:

The dirty work of arise tv is interviewing the oppositions media representatives of other parties, but it is not dirty work when APC media representatives are interviewed by same arise tv, meanwhile all the tribalistic ethnically and religiously, bigoted hate speech were made by APC rep, but we were told to forget it and to accept it as politics, yet oppositions can't be allowed to say the truth
This is not about the personalities interviewed.
You go on air and lay accusations without proof.
I listen to naijainfo everyday and you will notice that the hosts will never allow you come on air to insult or lay accusations. It is the responsibility of the station to caution the people they are interviewing, As a matter of fact AriseTv actually leads them on.

So oga this is not about the personalities who are interviewed its about the content of the interview, you can't go on air to say the president forged his certificate until it has been confirmed by a court of law, same way you can't call a man who stole from you a thief until proven guilty in court, you may know he is a thief but you can say so.
It's not really about what you think you know, it's about what's obtainable in the law.
Re: Labour Parties Fight Against Apc's Intimidation Of The Media by jude79(m): 1:10pm On Oct 09, 2023
EXOUSIAng:

This is not about the personalities interviewed.
You go on air and lay accusations without proof.
I listen to naijainfo everyday and you will notice that the hosts will never allow you come on air to insult or lay accusations. It is the responsibility of the station to caution the people they are interviewing, As a matter of fact AriseTv actually leads them on.

So oga this is not about the personalities who are interviewed its about the content of the interview, you can't go on air to say the president forged his certificate until it has been confirmed by a court of law, same way you can't call a man who stole from you a thief until proven guilty in court, you may know he is a thief but you can say so.
It's not really about what you think you know, it's about what's obtainable in the law.

Which law, the one that says that shetima's double nomination is against the Constitution, but your judges said it was done in ignorance, and therefore apc should be excused, hahahaha, those are the judges you are wanting for to give you justice, an ostrich can bury it's head as much as it like but let me inform you, people like you reported about APC's threat towards opposition voters to appropriate authorities, and those who were supposed to protect the people said the threat was a joke, did APC not carry out their threat, aahh!!!!
you were waiting for constituted authorities or for it to be proven by your slower than snail judiciary, a human lives is just but around seventy any other thing on top is extra, add the seventy, and even if the extra reach 100 years, no justice can come from brood of vipers.

(1) (Reply)

Light At The End Of The Tunnel: Osun State Gets Power After 91 Years / Another INEC Glitch: INEC Removed The “Accreditation Data” From The IREV-portal / See The Bad State Of Road On Main Road In Ogba, Lagos (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.