Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,577 members, 7,837,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:20 PM

What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? (367 Views)

Don't Be Deceived, A Lot Of Christians Today Are Winning Souls For Satan / Why Are There Too Many Denominations Among Christians / A Challenge To All Christians Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by Julibet: 10:17am On Oct 08, 2023
Good Morning People of God,

This topic has been bugging me vey well and I cannot seem to fathom it. Why on earth would believers who call on the name of the Lord and go to Church every Sunday be tribalistic?

Something happened some years ago in the Nigerian Christian Corpers Fellowship (NCCF) family house I stayed during my youth service. There was a rule in the family house that says 'No Singling'. This means that you are not allowed to speak any language except for English and the language of the town which we were serving.

On this faithful day, we just finished praying very hot prayers and all, two ladies I was close to were speaking in their dialect.. I didn't mind because I was even trying to open my ears to new languages, but immediately another set of ladies started speaking in their language came close to them, they immediately started rebuking them to my amazement. That went on throughout my stay in the family house.

What happened to the scripture that says 'we have been called out of every tribe, tongue and people?' When Christian parents are quizzing their children about their spouse, before the question of born again/God-fearing would come up, ethnicity would come up first. Christians have rejected spouses on the basis of tribe only.

Tribalism is not something that should be allowed to dwell among God’s people, as is it creates discrimination and people are treated based on where they come from and are not given fair treatment. This can easily lead to division. If there is tribalism in God’s church, you can be sure that the church will not be able to fulfil her role in the society.

Indeed, if tribalism is allowed, the church’s mission will not be carried out. Jesus Christ told us that He wants unity among us in John chapter 17. He prayed that we be one, just as He and His father are one. And so, if we are going to be one, then tribalism must not be there. Indeed, we are saved by one blood — the blood of Jesus Christ. In Christ, there is no east, west, south or north.

The Bible says the wall of partition that separates us from God has been broken down by the blood of Jesus through His sacrifice. If that is so, it means that tribalism should not be allowed at all. God sees all of us as equal and one in Him, there’s no male, female or tribal sentiment. Wherever tribalism exists, it creates a lot of problems to the extent that people are not given fair opportunity to do things in the House of God.

Even when it comes to election and promotion even in the Church, Pastors and so called tongue - talking Christians only consider where you come from, and not what will advance the Kingdom of Christ. So, for you to be allowed to hold any office in the church becomes difficult, and yet we call ourselves children of God. When that happens, we cannot agree to do the work that we are called to do. That is how bad it is.

I hope the Lord will teach us His ways to advance His Kingdom.

Shalom.

Credit
https://guardian.ng/sunday-magazine/tribalism-and-why-it-thrives-in-gods-house/

Re: What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by jesusjnr2020(m): 10:17am On Oct 08, 2023
It's a really sad development I must say because Christ was nothing like that.

He wasn't also sexist to add to that.

Even His disciples marvelled at how completely deviod of such sentiments His actions and words were.

He was totally God-centred in His views and judgment.

May God help us to become Christlike not just in words but also in our deeds. In Jesus name.
Re: What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by Regardless: 10:21am On Oct 08, 2023
Even on Nairaland, the way Igbos and Yorubas attack themselves, it's a wonder. I'm sure most of them go to churches every Sunday. It's pathetic.

Most of us that aren't Igbos and Yorubas just watch in amazement.

Very striking is the promotion of Pastors in Churches in the west. I have witnessed it first hand how difficult it is for someone outside the tribe to advance.

May God help us.
Re: What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by AntiChristian: 7:55am On Oct 10, 2023
I'm so sure the narration must have happened in the SE or involved People from there.

Anyways, I have also seen some who sing and pray in Igbo among themselves and others.

Supremacist theory!
Igbos have Jewish blood that can be traced to Gad, son of Israel (Jacob).

And Yorubas too can claim Igbos cames from Ilé ìfẹ.
Re: What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by BItt: 8:02am On Oct 10, 2023
AntiChristian:
I'm so sure the narration must have happened in the SE or involved People from there.

Anyways, I have also seen some who sing and pray in Igbo among themselves and others.

Supremacist theory!

Igbos are not jews and it has been scientifically proven beyond reasonable doubt. I wonder why Africans try to attach themselves to other people's history.

The challenge we are facing is the multi ethnicity of Nigeria. That's why Nigeria is called a federation (many different people brought together to be one)

The most probable solution to this tribalism is to let every tribe start their own country. Although the fact is tribalism just as racism is all over the world
Re: What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by AntiChristian: 8:14am On Oct 10, 2023
BItt:

Igbos are not jews and it has been scientifically proven beyond reasonable doubt. I wonder why Africans try to attach themselves to other people's history.

The challenge we are facing is the multi ethnicity of Nigeria. That's why Nigeria is called a federation (many different people brought together to be one)

The most probable solution to this tribalism is to let every tribe start their own country. Although the fact is tribalism just as racism is all over the world

How can each tribe start their own country?
This is not feasible!
Re: What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by MightySparrow: 8:47am On Oct 10, 2023
AntiChristian:

Supremacist theory!

Who send you message?
Why talking against Igbo?

What is your take on Hamas ,- Israeli war?
Re: What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by MightySparrow: 8:59am On Oct 10, 2023
AntiChristian:

How can each tribe start their own country?
This is not feasible!

Why not? Yorubaland is big with more population than Unit kingdom. It was the only big homogeneous empire in western Africa.
It has a long history of self rule and dynamic political structure. Little wonder it ran the best regional government after Nigerian's independence.

Abeg. Oodua nation is feasible o.
If any others are not, their problem.
Re: What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by AntiChristian: 9:00am On Oct 10, 2023
MightySparrow:

Who send you message?
Why talking against Igbo?

What is your take on Hamas ,- Israeli war?

Israel are usurpers!
Palestinians own the land!

If someone were to occupy my land for over 75 years humiliating me...
Re: What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by AntiChristian: 9:08am On Oct 10, 2023
MightySparrow:

Why not? Yorubaland is big with more population than Unit kingdom. It was the only big homogeneous empire in western Africa.
It has a long history of self rule and dynamic political structure. Little wonder it ran the best regional government after Nigerian's independence.

Abeg. Oodua nation is feasible o.
If any others are not, their problem.

It's not only Yorubas in Nigeria!

We have minority tribes that may not even be more than an LCDA.
Re: What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by MightySparrow: 9:12am On Oct 10, 2023
AntiChristian:

It's not only Yorubas in Nigeria!

We have minority tribes that may not even be more than an LCDA.

They can choose which major tribes to follow. Sao Tome and Principe are less than a million people. It is a sovereign nation on its own.

Great Oodua Republic, welcome.
The country of my dreams.
Re: What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by MightySparrow: 9:13am On Oct 10, 2023
AntiChristian:

Israel are usurpers!
Palestinians own the land!

If someone were to occupy my land for over 75 years humiliating me...

Prove it from Quran?
Re: What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by AntiChristian: 9:16am On Oct 10, 2023
MightySparrow:

They can choose which major tribes to follow. Sao Tome and Principe are less than a million people. It is a sovereign nation on its own.

Great Oodua Republic, welcome.
The country of my dreams.

The tribe they follow will marginalise them eventually!
Re: What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by AntiChristian: 9:18am On Oct 10, 2023
MightySparrow:

Prove it from Quran?

Israel was created in the 40s I think! And they've been stealing the land of the Palestinians till now.

The Israelites from the Qur'an are long dead!
Re: What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by MightySparrow: 9:28am On Oct 10, 2023
AntiChristian:

Israel was created in the 40s I think! And they've been stealing the land of the Palestinians till now.

The Israelites from the Qur'an are long dead!

Prove it.
Mohammed choose stole scriptures that suit his ambition and left out others.
Re: What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by MightySparrow: 9:43am On Oct 10, 2023
AntiChristian:

The tribe they follow will marginalise them eventually!

Definitely not Yorubaland. When Bendel were with Yorubas under AG and UPN, were they marginalized? It will only depend on negotiation. This our founding fathers failed to do, when Awolowo suggested secession clause. It was vehemently rejected by great Zik who sold his people for ceremonial presidency.

Every tribe that is willing to join yorubas is welcome. Better still most minor tribes neighbors on themselves, they can negotiate nah.
Besides, you excort your wife to maternity for delivery, you are more concerned about what another man's wife is going to deliver.

Which be your own?
Before almagamation, were these tribes existing, yes. Anyhow they will survive.
Obasanjo took this nation out of penury, Buhari plunged it deeper. Same was Shagari and northern military rulers.

Tinubu will do his best now, may be Obi or Ète later. Then another incompetent, Alfa from Sokoto or Adamawa would take Nigeria backwards moving cows in our streets.
Abeg, Antichristian bẹ careful not to preach one cursed oneness for here o.
Make I no tear you e-slap. grin
Re: What Is The Cause Of Tribalism And Ethnicity Among Christians Today? by MaxInDHouse(m): 12:07pm On Oct 10, 2023
The simple truth is that they are not followers of Christ.
Our Master, Lord and King Christ Jesus COMMANDED us to have LOVE among ourselves and said that's the one and only evidence that we are his followers! John 13:34-35

Well i am Maximus one of Jehovah's Witnesses such can't happen among us that's why people throughout the world see us as one family even though we are from different geographical locations on this planet! Matthew 5:14-16

Jesus said true Christians are the light of the world {Matthew 5:13} which means what seems shady before all others true disciples of Christ should be able to throw light on it.

If you want me to help showing you the real cause of tribalism among religionists i'm still very much with you! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

The Ethiopian Bible Is The Original Bible And The Best Bible Version / Jesus Christ Is The Only Son Of God That Was Not Created. / Spiritual Digest For The Day 8th Of July 2014

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.