Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? (1564 Views)

Christians Practise Cannibalism Witchcraft Through Communion / When Husband And Wife Practise Different Religions! / Nigerians Shouldn't Practise Imported Religions Like Christianity And Islam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by maasoap(m): 9:26pm On Oct 21, 2011
I'm a Muslim but when I was in secondary school, I had three closest friends and two of them were Christians while one was a Muslim. They were simply the best, the perfect example of how human being should be (helping, caring, concerned). We never discussed religious affairs. When I was in Uni, I had only one friend and he also happened to be a Christian. Infact, people referred to us as twins not because we resemble each other but we were always together. And we were together for 5 years! They're still my friends till this moment but we're living far apart. I raise this topic with hope that it will provide an insight into how Muslims, Christians and others relate in real life in Nigeria. The only time we unite across religions on this forum is when a thread has to do with GEJ bashing.
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by Jenwitemi(m): 10:17pm On Oct 21, 2011
Your case is one of those "exceptions", mate. Religions(especially the 3 desert dogmas) were not designed to bring human beings together in harmony, but rather were designed to cause strifes and conflict which eventually lead to what could be known as - since we're all nigerians here - THE JOS SYNDROME. It takes real spiritual maturity to overcome the elements of conflicts built into these 3 dogmas, i tell you. All one has to do is to follow all the threads of this here forum to see that. Bravo to you and your friends.
maasoap:

I'm a Muslim but when I was in secondary school, I had three closest friends and two of them were Christians while one was a Muslim. They were simply the best, the perfect example of how human being should be (helping, caring, concerned). We never discussed religious affairs. When I was in Uni, I had only one friend and he also happened to be a Christian. Infact, people referred to us as twins not because we resemble each other but we were always together. And we were together for 5 years! They're still my friends till this moment but we're living far apart. I raise this topic with hope that it will provide an insight into how Muslims, Christians and others relate in real life in Nigeria. The only time we unite across religions on this forum is when a thread has to do with GEJ bashing.
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by benodic: 11:08am On Oct 22, 2011
and still within those religious doctrines are areas that should unite all mankind but people tend to ignore those areas because of the Ego in us. they prefer to go with the doctrine of "MY GOD IS BIGGER IS YOURS" and this is the beginning of all the problems on earth.
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by maasoap(m): 11:35am On Oct 22, 2011
I'm also aware of the fact that these religions preach something like "kill those who do not believe in God". But they also preach that we should love one another even if we practise different religions. But it is just a pity that people ignore the love it preaches and only embrace the hatred. Many Muslims hate and many Christians hate as well but why?
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 22, 2011
Yup. Living in Lagos or being yoruba we ALL have friends who practice a diff religion. Yoruba muslims are pretty open to being friends with others. If u notice its usually yoruba muslims who can most easily switch religions as well. Infact a lot of yorubas come from mixed religion families.
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 22, 2011
One of my closest pals is a Palestinian Arab !

Talking to him has opened me to the plight of Arabs in Palestine and the humanity of us ALL.

In Nigeria my closest pals again where Muslims, again they were not the fanatical, 'kill at the drop of a hat' sort. They were open minded and lovely people.
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by maasoap(m): 12:25pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ATLgal, the question is why can't the same Yoruba Muslims and Christians on this forum exhibit the same character here? Instead, what you see here is Muslims on one side, Christians one the other side as if we never interacted in real life. This is the point of this thread and I hope you got it.
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 22, 2011
maasoap:

@ATLgal, the question is why can't the same Yoruba Muslims and Christians on this forum exhibit the same character here? Instead, what you see here is Muslims on one side, Christians one the other side as if we never interacted in real life. This is the point of this thread and I hope you got it.

Friendship is not or should not be a cloak for hiding and or ignoring falsehood.

If I have a friend who steals or commits some hideous sin for example, I will point this out for his benefit. If I see a friend marching off to Hell and to avoid hurting his feelings I keep quiet , this is a crime.

To keep quite about false religion and false teaching for the sake of friendship or acquaintanceship is error and similar to sweeping  the dirt under the carpet for the sake of peace.

This is a Lazy man's argument that we should all be friends and let God's laws be broken.

This is what the saviour Christ Jesus said about friendship and also what the other apostles though of it.

You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

You are my friends if you do what I command you.

Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Oct 22, 2011
Because people talk crap on the interwebs they would never say in real life. Frosble, ur quotes applies to christians not to non believers. Ur life should be all we need to see to be convinced of God's glory in ur life n convince us ur God is real.
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 22, 2011
ATLgal:

Because people talk crap on the interwebs they would never say in real life. Frosble, your quotes applies to christians not to non believers. your life should be all we need to see to be convinced of God's glory in your life n convince us your God is real.

Okay I forgive you this last time for spelling my name incorrectly  smiley

My real life is one thing, Nairaland is a forum for debate , knowledge share and education.
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by EvilBrain1(m): 1:06pm On Oct 22, 2011
frosbel:

Friendship is not or should not be a cloak for hiding and or ignoring falsehood.

If I have a friend who steals or commits some hideous sin for example, I will point this out for his benefit. If I see a friend marching off to Hell and to avoid hurting his feelings I keep quiet , this is a crime.

To keep quite about false religion and false teaching for the sake of friendship or acquaintanceship is error and similar to sweeping the dirt under the carpet for the sake of peace.

This is a Lazy man's argument that we should all be friends and let God's laws be broken.

This is what the saviour Christ Jesus said about friendship and also what the other apostles though of it.

You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him

You are my friends if you do what I command you.

@Frosbel
Hello Mr. bin Laden, leader of the christian taliban.
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 22, 2011
^^

Oh no, not this troll again grin
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by EvilBrain1(m): 1:49pm On Oct 22, 2011
frosbel:

^^

Oh no, not this troll again grin

Better a troll than an intolerant religious fundamentalist (don't deny it, I've seen your posting history). If your parents had been from Kano, you'd probably be browsing Islam for Muslims from your mansion in Abbottabad
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Oct 22, 2011
^^

If that makes you happy , no problems from me grin
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by maasoap(m): 2:05pm On Oct 22, 2011
@Frosbel, which one is a false religion? Perhaps the ones you're not practising, right? False teachings are everywhere and in every religion, it's just left for you and me to separate true teachings from the false teachings. Again, how can a man assert that you can't love the world without showing hatred towards God? World itself gives you the first opportunity to know God and His existence. I hope this is not some kind of "my religion is superior to yours" mentality. Infact, all religions claim superiority but in different forms. I'm a Muslim, you're a Christian and we're friends. We don't discuss religion doesn't we're pretending but it means that we respect each other's decision as far as believe and faith is concerned.
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Oct 22, 2011
maasoap:

@Frosbel, which one is a false religion? Perhaps the ones you're not practising, right? False teachings are everywhere and in every religion, it's just left for you and me to separate true teachings from the false teachings. Again, how can a man assert that you can't love the world without showing hatred towards God? World itself gives you the first opportunity to know God and His existence. I hope this is not some kind of "my religion is superior to yours" mentality. Infact, all religions claim superiority but in different forms. I'm a Muslim, you're a Christian and we're friends. We don't discuss religion doesn't we're pretending but it means that we respect each other's decision as far as believe and faith is concerned.

The bolded is an Allegory.

Hating the world does not mean hating the people or the beauty of the world and the wonders of nature.

It means hating the pattern of sinfulness, the ways of ungodly men and women who hold the truth in unrighteousness and love the pleasures of sin for a season .

Loving the world is exhibited in many forms, love of fame, status and power , immorality and perversion etc etc,

So the verse in no way says we should hate people, we should not partake in their sins is the proper meaning.
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by maasoap(m): 6:16pm On Oct 22, 2011
I understand you but you hold a view that two people who practise different religions shouldn't be friends unless they're ready two to tell each other about true religion. Which religion is a true religion? Which religion in Nigeria doesn't preach against stealing, lies, sins, etc? What this thread is all about is that Muslims and Christians are supposed to not only live together peacefully but also be friends with total respect for each other's faith and believe. My religion claims superiority over all other religions just as your religion also does, it is just that my friends and I decided to ignore it. I would really appreciate you better only if you can provide clear info. about your "false religions" comment. And I hope you're not one of the people who have taken it to head that their religion is the only one favoured by God.
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Oct 22, 2011
maasoap:

I understand you but you hold a view that two people who practise different religions shouldn't be friends unless they're ready two to tell each other about true religion. Which religion is a true religion? Which religion in Nigeria doesn't preach against stealing, lies, sins, etc? What this thread is all about is that Muslims and Christians are supposed to not only live together peacefully but also be friends with total respect for each other's faith and believe. My religion claims superiority over all other religions just as your religion also does, it is just that my friends and I decided to ignore it. I would really appreciate you better only if you can provide clear info. about your "false religions" comment. And I hope you're not one of the people who have taken it to head that their religion is the only one favoured by God.

Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by benodic: 7:35pm On Oct 22, 2011
@ maasoap

i can quite understand your misgivings over some of the comments in this thread. Once one truly believes that his religion is the only one recognised by God, human ego creeps in and it totally changes the person's attitude and he unconsciously starts looking down on people in other religion.
I for one will not want to be friends with one who has no regard for my religion or other people's religion for that matter. Live a life of love for all people and let God be the judge of which religion is true and which one is false.
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Oct 22, 2011
"For Jesus is the one referred to in the Scriptures, where it says, 'The stone that you builders rejected has now become the cornerstone. Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." - Acts 4:11-12

"Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me." - John 14:6
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by maasoap(m): 6:52am On Oct 23, 2011
@frosbel, have you heard Muslims saying that on the day of judgement, prophet Mohammed will plead with Allah on behalf of many people. You quote bible because you believe in it. How do you expect someone whose faith doesn't lie in the bible to take you seriously, or how do I expect someone like you whose faith is not in line with Quran to take me seriously? It still go down with "my religion is superior to yours mentality" which abounds in many ardent religious believers.
Re: Is Your Closest/best Friend Practise Different Religion? by maasoap(m): 7:12am On Oct 23, 2011
@frosbel, have you heard Muslims saying that on the day of judgement, prophet Mohammed will plead with Allah on behalf of many people. You quote bible because you believe in it. How do you expect someone whose faith doesn't lie in the bible to take you seriously, or how do I expect someone like you whose faith is not in line with Quran to take me seriously? It still go down with "my religion is superior to yours mentality" which abounds in many ardent religious believers.

(1) (Reply)

Oyedepo Slap Case Update / Frosbel Are You An Atheist Or The Antichrist!!!!!! / Atheists Lose, 'in God We Trust' To Remain On Currency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.