Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,787 members, 7,820,756 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:59 PM

Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria (9246 Views)

Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle / Is Nigerians The Most Enlightened And Educated People In Africa? / Jimi Agbaje Is Lagos PDP Governorship Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by mustspin: 9:50am On Oct 22, 2011
heard someone say this just this morning. is Lagos city the most enlightened city in Nigeria?
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by efisher(m): 10:03am On Oct 22, 2011
It has to be. No other city in Nigeria or West Africa comes close to it.
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by Afam4eva(m): 11:33am On Oct 22, 2011
Enlightened? I'm trying to process what that means. I think advanced is more like it.
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by jason123: 11:59am On Oct 22, 2011
@OP
A resounding YES! The reason is because[b] EVERY[/b] ethnic group in Nigeria resides in Lagos (literally), so you can refer to it as a mini-Nigeria. Lagos is the Nigeria we never had. Everyone is a Lagosian first before Yoruba, Igbo or Hausa. That my friend is the reason why it is the most enlightened and advanced city and state in Nigeria.

No one can argue with this.
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by mbatuku1: 2:52pm On Oct 22, 2011
afam4eva:

Enlightened? I'm trying to process what that means. I think advanced is more like it.

I was thinking in the same direction too. It seems a lot of people confuse 'advanced' with 'enlightened'.

The most enlightened city should be a city that knows best how to deal creatively with the problems they face; that offers a lot of inspiration for innovations(as in the best enabling environment for productivity).

Going by those 2 factors, I cant say if Lagos scores the highest or some other city in the country.

But I have a strong feeling it's probably not Lagos.
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by jmaine: 3:00pm On Oct 22, 2011
To me, its a yes . . .even to a fault . .cos have seen some Lagosians who feel folks from other states are dummies with no exposure whatsoever . . . . Imagine someone feigning surprise and asking if an enlightened state like Kaduna has Mr Biggs . . . . we all gave him a run down for being so stvpid and embarrassing . . .Some even feel, if your not a Lagosian then your still some ages back when compared to them . . . .The truth is, Lagos might be the most enlightened . . .But other notable states are not far behind 
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by jason123: 3:04pm On Oct 22, 2011
mbatuku1:

I was thinking in the same direction too. It seems a lot of people confuse 'advanced' with 'enlightened'.

The most enlightened city should be a city that knows best how to deal creatively with the problems they face; that offers a lot of inspiration for innovations(as in the best enabling environment for productivity).

Going by those 2 factors, I cant say if Lagos scores the highest or some other city in the country.

I just have a strong feeling it's probably not Lagos.

The "most enlightened" should be in terms of the population and diversity like London and New York. It is the populace that is enlightened not the "state". Lagosians (Every ethnic group that resides in Lagos) have proved that over and over again during elections and innovations. That is what keeps attracting businesses and investment to the state. Lagos is like an African London, given its diversity and the general level of sophistication.

Going by you definition sef, its still Lagos. Eko atlantic takes the cake if you talk about problem solving ( our rising ocean line and its threat to Lagos). Innovation; who in the Nigerian government has thought about PPPs, in such intricacy? BRT and the coming LRT will solve our transportation problems. Investment, it is a known fact in the business world that Lagos is the place to be when investing in West Africa, not to talk of Nigeria.

Forget Oil companies, in terms of actual businesses, Lagos is the place.
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by jason123: 3:06pm On Oct 22, 2011
jmaine:

To me, its a yes . . .even to a fault . .cos have seen some Lagosians who feel folks from other states are dummies with no exposure whatsoever . . . . Imagine someone feigning surprise and asking if an enlightened state like Kaduna has Mr Biggs . . . . we all gave him a run down for being so stvpid and embarrassing . . .Some even feel, if your not a Lagosian then your still some ages back when compared to them . . . .The truth is, Lagos might be the most enlightened . . .But other notable states are not far behind 

You are very correct!!! Tell them as it is! grin

The coming states are Rivers, Delta and may be Cross river and Akwa Ibom.
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by mbatuku1: 3:38pm On Oct 22, 2011
jason123:

The "most enlightened" should be in terms of the population and diversity like London and New York. It is the populace that is enlightened not the "state".

Just having population and cultural diversity does not guarantee enlightenment of a people. If so, a country like India would have been the more enlightened than Japan. Ofcourse, you know, we cannot say that.

Lagosians (Every ethnic group that resides in Lagos) have proved that over and over again during[b] elections[/b] and innovations.

The word in bold is irrelevant.

That is what keeps attracting businesses and investment to the state. Lagos is like an African London, given its diversity and the general level of sophistication.

You mind explaining what you mean by level of sophistication?

Going by you definition sef, its still Lagos. Eko atlantic takes the cake if you talk about problem solving ( our rising ocean line and its threat to Lagos). Innovation; who in the Nigerian government has thought about PPPs, in such intricacy? BRT and the coming LRT will solve our transportation problems. Investment, it is a known fact in the business world that Lagos is the place to be when investing in West Africa, not to talk of Nigeria.

That's a fine example, but we talking of tackling the collective challenges a city faces.

Forget Oil companies, in terms of actual businesses, Lagos is the place.

You and I know that mineral resources dont mean enlightenment or even development
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by jason123: 4:18pm On Oct 22, 2011

What I meant by that is the way in which they solve their problems. Given the ethnic diversity in the state, you'll expect them to have ethnic strife but that is not the case. You are Lagosian first before Igbo or Yoruba.

That's a fine example, but we talking of tackling the collective challenges a city faces.
Collective challenges?? What other collective challenges do we have in Lagos apart from the rise in sea level, Traffic, Housing  and power supply. All these mentioned are already being solved as we speak.

Rise in sea level : Eko atlantic
Traffic: Brt and Lrt. Traffic lights.The new Falomo bridge. The coming 4th mainland bridge. The ferry system  et.al.
Housing: There is a website specially dedicated for this. It was launched last month. Other housing units are still being built.
Power supply: IPPs are springing all over the place. another 10MW PS was commissioned 2 months ago.

You and I know that mineral resources dont mean enlightenment or even development

True say. This further more proves my case. Lagos is not dependent on minerals (although it has enough oil offshore). It is the level of investments the city can attract and as far as we know, Lagos attracts major investments. You'll call NY and London enlightened, wouldn't you? Why? Its because of the level of investment there, isn't it? Same can be said to Lagos. [quote][/quote]
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by sexyshe(f): 4:20pm On Oct 22, 2011
yea, things happen here.
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:24pm On Oct 22, 2011
mbatuku1:

Just having population and cultural diversity does not guarantee enlightenment of a people. If so, a country like India would have been the more enlightened than Japan. Ofcourse, you know, we cannot say that.

The word in bold is irrelevant.

You are only nitpicking and not making much sense. If you have a better suggestion just say it. Is it Abuja, Aba, Abakaliki or Ibuzor?
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by Wilfredng: 4:25pm On Oct 22, 2011
Of course i give it to Lagos, they are.
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:31pm On Oct 22, 2011
Deleted.
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by grafikii: 4:39pm On Oct 22, 2011
most definately, if u dont agree name ur alternatives
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by eghost247(m): 4:45pm On Oct 22, 2011
grafikii:

most definately, if u dont agree name your alternatives
seconded
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by Orobiju: 4:48pm On Oct 22, 2011
Of course it has to be Lasgidy. Even if I was note based here, I will still pick Lagos.
Okay if not Lagos then where? Is it Abuja, Kano, Calabar, Jos, Kaduna, Port Harcourt, Uyo etc; certainly not.
This is where 90% of the who is who in show biz, sports, academics, trade etc reside.
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by ArQueBusieR(m): 4:51pm On Oct 22, 2011
Enlightened my cute arrrrse. What a farrrrce! Lagos is a hoax. lol
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by jason123: 4:55pm On Oct 22, 2011
^^^
Give us a name now? cheesy You dey fear?! grin grin
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by jason123: 4:56pm On Oct 22, 2011
grafikii:

Abi?!
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by adconline(m): 4:57pm On Oct 22, 2011
Is Lagos a city or a state?
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by jason123: 5:01pm On Oct 22, 2011
adconline:

Is Lagos a city or a state?

Both!!! The whole state is turning to a city. Initially, it was just the Islands but now, its the whole state even to the outskirts of Ogun state
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by Gbenge77(m): 5:05pm On Oct 22, 2011
most likely.
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by mbatuku1: 5:06pm On Oct 22, 2011
jason123:

What I meant by that is the way in which they solve their problems. Given the ethnic diversity in the state, you'll expect them to have ethnic strife but that is not the case. You are Lagosian first before Igbo or Yoruba.

So Lagos is the only city where you have different ethnics living together?
Is it not the same Lagos where lands discriminate on who to let their apartments to? Have you heard of such in Abuja, or in any other place?

It is the level of investments the city can attract and as far as we know, Lagos attracts major investments. You'll call NY and London enlightened, wouldn't you? Why? Its because of the level of investment there, isn't it? Same can be said to Lagos.

Attracting many investments does not make a city enlightened. NY attracts the most investments in the U.S, yet it's not the most enlightened city in America. You are still confusing developed with enlightened.
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by adconline(m): 5:06pm On Oct 22, 2011
Both!!! The whole state is turning to a city. Initially, it was just the Islands but now, its the whole state even to the outskirts of Ogun state

Who be your geography teacher? So Epe is a city?
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by mbatuku1: 5:09pm On Oct 22, 2011
grafikii:

Abuja, Enugu, Owerri.
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by AbuHanifa: 5:15pm On Oct 22, 2011
I will give it to the state of Aquatic Splendour! Lagos the only state that makes sense in Nigeria.
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by juman(m): 5:16pm On Oct 22, 2011
Yeah
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by jason123: 5:20pm On Oct 22, 2011
adconline:

Who be your geography teacher? So Epe is a city?
Re-read what I typed down.

jason123:

Even Epe is receiving this contract:

Type: Regeneration of Bonny Camp Army Barracks to Bonny Harbour Waterfront and the Relocation of The New Barracks to Epe, Lagos State, Nigeria

Client: NIGERIAN ARMY PROPERTIES LTD

Services: Brief Development, full briefing documentation, Regeneration Feasibility Studies, Urban Design and FULL MASTERPLAN for both Sites
http://www.comptrek.com/bonny_camp.html

Courtesy of Sky scrapper city
!

So Lagos is the only city where you have different ethnics living together?

It is the ONLY CITY IN NIGERIA WITH SUCH DIVERSITY.

Is it not the same Lagos where lands discriminate on who to let their apartments to? Have you heard of such in Abuja, or in any other place?
Mild discrimination happens everywhere in the world. You and I know its only the illiterates who do that. Even hear in the UK, not every white landlord will rent his apartment to a black african man.
Is it not the same Abuja that Igbos complained of selective demolition of building? undecided
Yes, I have heard of it in PH where Ikwerris do not sell their lands to people (Igbos), C'mon.

Attracting many investments does not make a city enlightened. NY attracts the most investments in the U.S, yet it's not the most enlightened city in America. You are still confusing developed with enlightened.
Attracting investments translate to increase in immigration, especially among the skilled labour, which in turn, increases the average level of enlightenment in that city.
There is a direct correlation between development, diversity and enlightenment. That is unquestionable because it is obvious.

Can you please name a city that is more enlightened than Lagos in Nigeria??
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by Gbawe: 5:23pm On Oct 22, 2011
mbatuku1:

Abuja, Enugu, Owerri.

The above is like saying Mancunians are as enlightened as Londoners or that Houston folks are more enlightened than New Yorkers. Or the folks of Marsielle are more enlightened than Parisians. It just defies simple logic because the simple truth is that the most enlightened folks will always be those who live in 'melting pot' Cities/States where diversity stimulates creativity, innovation and relative sophistication. Abuja may work better than Lagos but Abuja folks are certainly not more enlightened than Lagosians. They cannot be in the same way Liverpudlians will never be as enlightened as Londoners.
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by jason123: 5:23pm On Oct 22, 2011
mbatuku1:

Abuja, Enugu, Owerri.

Abuja, its debatable but Lagos is still more enlighted. Enugu Owerri C'mon, guy be real. They don't even come close (not in the next 30-50 yrs, if I may add). You didn't even mention PH or Warri. SMH!
Re: Is Lagos The Most Enlightened City In Nigeria by aljharem3: 5:24pm On Oct 22, 2011
mbatuku1:

Abuja, Enugu, Owerri.

Bros are you really comparing Lagos to Enugu and Owerri

abuja is NOT A STATE

enugu and owerri do not even come close to Oyo or Kaduna

I expected Anambra which is ALMOST IN THE SAME level as Ogun not even Oyo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

9,000 Nigerians In Foreign Prisons - FG / Kachikwu: Subsidy Removal To Save N16.4bn Monthly For Govt / Niger Delta, Igbo And Hausa All Want To Leave Nigeria Except Yorubas, Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.