Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,961 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:59 PM

Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle (80391 Views)

When Whistle-Blowing Is More Lucrative Than Being A Governor (Hilarious Photos) / Nigerian Soldiers Remove Bombs From Damaturu-biu Road / We Are Shock That Kaduna Gov. Has Stop Feeding Muslim In Ramadan - Sheikh (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by lolaxavier(m): 8:51am On Jan 10, 2016
Hijab Ban: Soldiers Publicly Remove Veil From Muslim Woman In Lagos

Some unidentified soldiers on Friday forcefully removed the veil, popularly referred to as Niqab, from a Muslim woman at Meran Area of Lagos.‎

It was gathered the woman was going peacefully when two soldiers stopped and began to allegedly harass her.

According to an eyewitness, identified as Adetutu, it took the intervention of passersby and sympathisers for the Muslim woman to get her veil back.

Apart from the removal veil on Friday, two images had earlier been sighted separately at Ibadan.

One of the images seen and allegedly signed by ‘Federal Government’ at University College Hospital, Ibadan read,”Wearing of long hijab is prohibited in government establishment for security reasons”.

It will be recalled that this is happening few weeks to the comment that Federal Government may ban Hijab by President Muhammadu Buhari.

President Buhari while ‎commenting on the continued blasts in the North-East during his maiden media chat last Wednesday said, “We will have to consider banning of the Hijab if this (the suicide attacks) continues.”

But on Friday (January 1), the President through his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, in a press release denied insinuations that his administration had plans to ban Hijab.

While describing Hijab as the Muslim women’s dressing symbol of modesty, Buhari’s spokesperson added, “Everything will be done to balance national security requirements with the rights and obligations of citizens under their religions as protected by the constitution.”‎‎

The eyewitness, who described the the removal of the Hijab as an embarrassing sight and injustice, urged the Federal Government to make an official pronouncement stating that the hijab has not been banned to avert further chaos.

While narrating how the Hijab was removed, Adetutu said, “I arrived at the Meiran Bus Station to board a bus when I saw three armed military men stop a Muslim woman who was putting on ta black attire and a face veil. One of them confronted her asking why she used the face veil.

“The woman was surprised and helpless. Almost immediately he (one of the soldiers) turned up her face veil to reveal her face.

“The woman who felt ashamed only looked and could do nothing because the soldiers were heavily armed.

“After one of the soldiers revealed her face, another soldier forcefully removed the veil from her saying ‘This thing is not allowed in our country. You can use it in your house but not here’.

“He (the soldier) took the veil and was about leaving with it. All the woman could do was to plead with him to at least release the veil to her.

“After harassing her in such a way that called attention of passersby, he (the soldier) returned the veil to her and she quietly left almost shedding tears.”

Reacting to the pasting of a message to prohibit Hijab at UCH Ibadan, Amir of Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria, UCH branch, Adam Hamzah said, “This is yet another reflection of open hatred of Islam. However, i want to urge our sisters to entertain no fear in showcasing the beauty of Islam through their Hijab. After all, they realised the essence of their existence unlike those who walk about in nudity.

“It is therefore imperative not to allow this issue derail us from the golden path. I am glad to inform you that MSSN at the branch,state,zonal and national levels is currently working assiduously to put a stop to this oppression.

“Several notable Muslim personalities have been duly informed about the issue.This is with a view to ensuring that our SON sisters enjoy not only using Hijab in the hostel but also on the wards. I therefore charge us to join hands in making this a reality.”

On her part, the Amirah of MSSN Lagos, Hajia Hafsoh Badru lamented many people have started harrasing female Muslims on Hijab.

She added, “It is regrettable that such statement was made at a period when Muslim sisters are facing tough times in practising their religion. We are sure that the Presidency is not unaware of the continuous denial of Muslim students to use Hijab as guaranteed by the Nigeria constitution and United Nations Charter on Human Rights.

“We hope that the earlier statement by the President won’t serve as a means for some bad eggs in governance to punish and harass females in Hijab or label them wrongly. We sincerely appeal to the president to mandate the Ministry of Information and other necessary agencies to release a circular that will guarantee female Muslims right to wear Hijab on the street, in schools and during their National Youth Service Corps (NYSC).”

http://www.thewhistleng.com/hijab-ban-soldiers-publicly-remove-veil-from-muslim-woman-in-lagos%e2%80%8e/

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by INTROVERT(f): 8:52am On Jan 10, 2016
This issue will bring problem in Nigeria.

My little understanding from reading is that it is a borrowed culture from other parts of the the world particularly the desert areas where "sand and dust storms" are prevalent as a way of protecting the face and body. I beleive that there are appropriate ways a Muslim lady can dress that can cover the body properly (ask Aisha buhari). We should not encourage extremism in the guise of religion.

566 Likes 59 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:53am On Jan 10, 2016
Well, it is against the right of wearers of hijab to ban their veil. It is an established fact that the hijab is worn through the personal choice of the wearer even if it is religiously influenced. As such, it falls under the right to personal liberty. Hijab can't be banned except the government can prove that their is a correlation between Hijab and suicide bombing...this will be pretty difficult.

116 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by funnynation(m): 8:53am On Jan 10, 2016
I know GMB will not support the motion which says ''make them ban hijab''.. Anyway no need to ban the hijab since they defeated Boko boys.. Technically...
Akpor and his best friend Eazy
sat in
the examroom to write their
final year
exam. Eazy had studied verywell
for the paper while Akpors had not.
This is what went on between
them in
the exam room. INVIGILATOR: 10
mins to Stop work.
AKPORS: Eazy are you done with the
theory.
EAZY: yes but am now doing the
objectives.
AKPORS: ok then pass the
theory to me for me to copy
cos i have not done anything.
Eazy: is that so? Ok take it and
copy cos time is not on our side.
AKPORS: tnx
INVIGILATOR: get ready to stop
work...... EAZY: hey Akpors give me my
paper.
AKPORS: oh Eazy i couldnt do it
oo...it
was too many, so i cancelled ur
name and wrote my name there...
EAZY: what!!! INVIGILATOR: Stop
work!!!
IS Akpors smart or Wicked?? Good morning
FunnyNation comedian coming soon..
My signature...

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by duullie88(m): 8:54am On Jan 10, 2016
Who send dem...dia mate dey sambisa(BH), dem go dey do anyhow

Wen boko haram and armed robbers bin dey wear millitary uniform, y dem no ban am
Dey can't ban hijab its just impossible...so make dem face more realistic problems

73 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by leke12(m): 8:58am On Jan 10, 2016
Ban it!

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by Nobody: 9:00am On Jan 10, 2016
And so? Why the fuss? Since those that perpetrate the act of suicide bombings hide under the cover of hijab, soldiers removing them isn't a bad but precautionary measure.undecided

117 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by Faremisodeeq(m): 9:08am On Jan 10, 2016
That is the effect of using religion to perpetrate evil. I urge the security officer to be gentle with the alhajas

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by godoluwa(m): 9:10am On Jan 10, 2016
hmmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by tonytony208(m): 9:11am On Jan 10, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Well, it is against the right of wearers of hijab to ban their veil. It is an established fact that the hijab is worn through the personal choice of the wearer even if it is religiously influenced. As such, it falls under the right to personal liberty. Hijab can't be banned except the government can prove that their is a correlation between Hijab and suicide bombing...this will be pretty difficult.

What else does the government have to prove? Haven't there been cases of female suicide bombers hiding IED under hijab? Or where have you been in the past couple of years? Nigeria or space?

236 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by gozmok1(m): 9:18am On Jan 10, 2016
This hijab of a thing no make sense hoha

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by yomexp(m): 9:24am On Jan 10, 2016
i seriously doubt this news.
this news is fake.

3 Likes

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by ysadiq(m): 9:25am On Jan 10, 2016
tonytony208:

What else does the government have to prove? Haven't there been cases of female suicide bombers hiding IED under hijab? Or where have you been in the past couple of years? Nigeria or space?
my brother does that mean if an evil is carried out with khaki. is banning it nw the solution to such problem, pls let us see dis from the right side.

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by tonytony208(m): 9:28am On Jan 10, 2016
ysadiq:
my brother does that mean if an evil is carried out with khaki. is banning it nw the solution to such problem, pls let us see dis from the right side.

Some other countries have banned hijab and heaven didn't fall. It is only in nigeria that we religionalize everything. Wetin dey do us sef?

154 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:39am On Jan 10, 2016
tonytony208:

Has FG banned cars because terrorist carry bombs in motor vehicle?

108 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by baby124: 9:44am On Jan 10, 2016
Arabs started using scarf, veils and hijab because of the desert. Tell me are we living in a desert

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by mars123(m): 10:22am On Jan 10, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

ol boy how can you compare the usefulness of a car with a hijab? If 80% of suicide bombings are carried out by young girls covered in hijab, and these attacks continue, is it not wise to ban the hijab? abi you want the bombings to continue?

The attacks in the northeast affects Christians and Muslims alike, all Nigerians are affected. If it means banning the hijab, agbada, pant and bra to be a step ahead of the terrorists over there, I support it. Drastic times call for drastic measures. Nigeria is bigger than 1 religion.

143 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by Akanbiedu(m): 10:25am On Jan 10, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Epic!

16 Likes

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by CertifiedFreak(m): 10:26am On Jan 10, 2016
Dude is going about this the wrong way, having a go at issues from behind.
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:28am On Jan 10, 2016
mars123:
ol boy how can you compare the usefulness of a car with a hijab? If 80% of suicide bombings are carried out by young girls covered in hijab, and these attacks continue, is it not wise to ban the hijab? abi you want the bombings to continue?
Just as the car is useful to users of motor vehicle, so is the hijab useful to its wearers. Saying 80% of suicide bombers are on hijab doesn't prove that the ban of hijab will end terrorism/suicide bombing. It also does not prove that hijab aid suicide bombing.

As for cars, the Abuja Police Headquarter suicide bombing(2012) was done with a car. The UN bombing also with a car. The recent Iyanya bombing in Abuja was also with a car. The bombs are transported through cars and other vehicles. Boko Haram move around with cars. So should usage of cars be banned?

97 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by Akanbiedu(m): 10:29am On Jan 10, 2016
I think Mr. President was not careful enough while answering the hijab question during his last media chat. He clearly succumbed to blackmail.

Now every id!ot is going to take laws in his/her hands.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by hertheytheydgee(m): 10:34am On Jan 10, 2016
Key words

*forcefully
*stop
*harass

Being a Muslim is not a sin

99 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by Addicted2Women: 10:34am On Jan 10, 2016
Good Development.
Why would you cover your face and leave a small opening for seeing ??

Do you wear that stuff when going to the airport ??
How do we identify who you are ??

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by MediaDeveloper(m): 10:34am On Jan 10, 2016
Very Wrong.

How can you enforce an idea that the government is only considering?

Security operatives should not go about unavailing for the fun of seeing how a woman looks, its not everyone in Nigeria that will like the idea of you looking at their woman. If you sight a security threat, address it with all sense of professionalism.

Respect brings more peace.

Visit http://234jam.com to get more of my reflection on politics and success.

Thank you.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by Minast: 10:34am On Jan 10, 2016
We are not ruling out the possibilities of her being a terrorist

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by Shehucom(m): 10:35am On Jan 10, 2016
I believe the soldiers over stepped their bounds, if this had happened in maiduguri then I may not fault them, but in Lagos? they should just v asked them to remove it politely if need be, why use force on harmless citizens?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by omusiliyu(m): 10:36am On Jan 10, 2016
May Allah forgives us all our shortcomings.

Ameeen

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by alotofgrace(m): 10:36am On Jan 10, 2016
Great...
Let the unveiling begin...

No more ninjas

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by Demmocrats(m): 10:36am On Jan 10, 2016
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by youngberry001(m): 10:36am On Jan 10, 2016
ok
Re: Soldiers Remove Veil From Muslim In Lagos‎ - The whistle by Nobody: 10:37am On Jan 10, 2016
What kind of democracy are we practicing?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Coronavirus: FG Tracing 4,370 People / Okada, Keke Ban: Occupy Lagos Protest This Morning In Pictures / Organs Or Arms Of Government By Joel3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.