Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,630 members, 7,816,596 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

My Disgust For Keke Napep Work - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My Disgust For Keke Napep Work (263 Views)

Jos: Keke Driver With No Phone Returns Laptop And Wallet Of A Passenger / Fan, Woofer, Mounted Ipad In A Keke Napep In Surulere, Lagos / Keke Napep Driver Slammed On The Road For Driving On A Wrong Lane In Lekki (Pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Disgust For Keke Napep Work by EndSARS77: 11:27pm On Oct 10, 2023
There are so many things that disgust me about working as a keke driver. Among which are all those times when customers give you turn/bad money... and when you ask them to change it they will tell you it is the last money that is with them. Others will tell you that nothing is wrong with the money and start shouting on you. But when you give it to other customers, they will reject them. Even the ones that are in better shape than the one they give to you as a driver. Another thing is that people see keke drivers as dirty people or beggars or people with no future ambition. OK so when a keke driver starts horning for pedestrians to leave the road for him they won't leave. But when he brushes them with his keke, they will start trying to insult the keke man. Another instance is the way they will treat you as a keke man when you go to filling station to buy petrol. People inside flashy cars get maximum respect but not a keke man. OK there was a day I was horning for a woman to drive forward because the car in front of her had bought petrol but she pretended to be deaf (this lasted for about 30 seconds to a minute). So I drove in front of the woman and took her place in the line as a result. So she came down and told me to drive back to where I was coming from (or my previous position which was behind her). I explained that I had been horning for her up to 7 or 8 times but she ignored (I didn't shout at her or anything). Do you believe the person selling petrol told me to go back to the woman's back and wait... and people (that came to buy petrol with jerry can) where watching but nobody said a word. I walked to my keke and drove off in disgust immediately in the presence of all of them and went to buy petrol else where. What about the treatment you get from other keke drivers in your park? Those who have worked in big keke parks can relate to this. Keke parks of up to 500 drivers or more. So you will ask who is loading next but nobody will answer you. They will tell you not to disturb them. But when a customer comes to ask the exact same question, they will find out who is loading even when they don't know. What about all those times when you buy petrol with N4,000 early in he monring and pay for ticket and other forms of taxations. You will work till 11am or 12pm before you can start breaking even. By breaking even I mean, you will make only N1,000 by that time. This is due to the fact that everybody want to drive keke now since there is a high rate of unemployment in Nigeria. So since all hands are on deck, the work doesn't go round and you will make N1,000. And one thing with keke work, especially if it's not brand new is you are literally working for the keke (and your passengers, I'm sorry to say) instead of the keke to be working for you. OK you are collecting N200 per person or maybe N100... but when you go to workshop you will spend N60,000 to N70,000 at once. Sometimes it can be up to N150,000. OK have you sat down to calculate how much it cost you to buy the keke? And how much you have spent on repair and maintenance since you bought it. Now minus it from the money you have made while using it to work all these years or months... you will see that your profit is actually negative. Which brings me to another thing that disgusts me about the work: "Keke No Dey Chop Money" delusion. Keke parts always double their previous prices each time. OK something in your keke that you didn't even plan to change, they will tell you has spoilt... making you to spend more. Between maintaining a car and making keke, no one is good. Is like choosing between the devil and the deep blue sea. Only that maintaining keke seems to be deceptively easier. But trust me, on the long run no one is good. I have so many other instances which I can't even remember now but I will say on the long run that keke work is a very stupid work. You do or do not have to agree with me but God knows I am saying the truth as it is. It's almost as if it's a crime to be a keke driver. Yes I know what they want to say, every job has bla bla bla. In white collar jobs, you get insult from your boss for mistakes you made but as a keke driver you get treated with disdain even when you have done nothing wrong

1 Like

Re: My Disgust For Keke Napep Work by incandescentena: 11:30pm On Oct 10, 2023
grin
Re: My Disgust For Keke Napep Work by mariahAngel(f): 12:07am On Oct 11, 2023
All I can tell you is appreciate the honest hustle that puts food on your table daily. undecided
You're way better off than those who have no choice but beg to eat.
Re: My Disgust For Keke Napep Work by shortgun(m): 1:24am On Oct 11, 2023
I know it stings when people act like they're above you just because you're hustling in a keke. But listen up, you gotta amp up your confidence level. What you're doing is very important, legitimate and you should carry that with pride.
Remember, even the big shots you hear of today started somewhere low. People are always gonna talk, that's just a fact. But don't let their words get in the way of your grind. If you do, it's gonna slow you down.

And as for the cash flow, you gotta get strategic. Sit down, crunch the numbers, dissect your business, get rid of what's holding you back, and boost what's giving you the edge.
And, lastly, you gotta connect. Smile when you need to, crack a joke, talk about sports and politics with other riders. Not everyone's gonna be your friend, but being distant will just make you more enemies than friends.
Re: My Disgust For Keke Napep Work by Chibuzoripob: 3:05am On Oct 11, 2023
sad undecided humble yourself and you"re good..Be rugged when dealing with commuters
Re: My Disgust For Keke Napep Work by EndSARS77: 8:01am On Oct 11, 2023
The working conditions in this keke business are stupid. When you are working in a bank, you get treated with maximum respect. Any customer that tries to stress you, will get worked out by security. And A/C will still blow you. By next year I'm going to leave this keke work for another job, which is more dignifying and pays 10 times better. I'm not going to discuss it hear, so I won't be tempted to change my mind. That explains why keke work is male dominated 99.9% of the time, because the work is stupid. If the work was good, everybody would have been doing it

(1) (Reply)

How Enemies And Haters Celebrated The Fall Of Nairaland / Perfect / Please, Suggests....

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.