Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,091 members, 7,821,771 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:12 PM

Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance (28693 Views)

Army Discovers Burnt Corpses Of Policemen & Cannibalism In ESN Imo Camp / Planting Of Bombs In Southeast: Your Withdrawal After-thought, Group Blasts Umeh / Umeh Kalu: Nigerian Army Planting Bombs In South-East & Blaming IPOB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by dododawa1: 10:06am On Oct 11, 2023
SSS. 3

Then

Time

Fly

Ijeshatedo.
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by davillian(m): 10:08am On Oct 11, 2023
BoldBrainz:

I know, right?!

I was in Lagos at the time. That first round of explosions shook the very foundations of our small apartment. Information didn't easily circulate at the time, so first round of public speculations suggested a massive robbery operation.
I was @bonny camp in v/I soldiers quicky geared up thinking it was a war or a coup
The vibration alone sends chills to everyone
I can remember it was on a Sunday

1 Like

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by victme1(m): 10:09am On Oct 11, 2023
21 years 9 months Waooooooo! I don ol ooooo
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by extremelygolden: 10:15am On Oct 11, 2023
I will never forget that day. There was confusion everywhere in Lagos State. The foundation of our house in Yaba shook so much that people ran out and were running helter skelter. No body knew what actually happened. We were only seeing flashing lights, terrible sounds and a shaking!

I thank God I didn't join in that run because majority of the people that took off that day, never made it back alive!

Those glass buildings in Victoria Island cracked and crashed. You can imagine the impact all the way from Ikeja ooo. God!

1 Like

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Sleekfingers: 10:25am On Oct 11, 2023
After 21 years? There is something wrong with this country
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by 2Radii: 10:29am On Oct 11, 2023
dododawa1:
I was in SSS 3
same as my bro..

Bros u go don dey reach 40 ooh grin
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by finallybusy: 10:31am On Oct 11, 2023
Not shocking. I dey Naija. I sabi as we dey run things.

Funny to realize many here were born long after this event. They are always the quickest to debate on such without personal knowledge. Children.

3 Likes

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by dododawa1: 10:37am On Oct 11, 2023
2Radii:
same as my bro..

on dot
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Burgerlomo: 10:38am On Oct 11, 2023
I can never forget that bad day
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by illicit(m): 10:49am On Oct 11, 2023
ellizy:

You should be 30years by now
Hope you're married?

🙄

1 Like

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by illicit(m): 10:51am On Oct 11, 2023
alasane:

JSS2 & u dey kom argue with your father age mate hia

Argument get age?

U no read of where Jesus Christ go inside synagogue dey go lecture him papa mates?

🙄
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Kayyy: 10:58am On Oct 11, 2023
Timoleon:

It happened on a Sunday. Ikeja cantonment Cdss had to relocate for a while. Not just for a day. The students could no longer school at the barracks during that period. So they were relocated to Anthony village.

Till date I keep thanking God and grateful it was a Sunday, where those bombs are kept where it started out exploding and CDSS Ikeja is just divided by a walk way, I had graduated from school when it happened but I remember majority of us pass that walkway from close of school to our different lesson classes and some to home and i was sure many still did then , I couldn't have imagined if it was during workday and in the afternoon or evening time like 5, it would have been horrific. Of course they couldn't use the School for years cos the destruction was too terrible.

1 Like

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Tokziby: 11:00am On Oct 11, 2023
Nazgul:
I remembered this sad event. It happened on a Sunday evening. I thought the explosion was thunder cos of how deep it was sounding, and told my mom that rain wants to fall. Not until I saw Tinubu (the then governor) on TV with some military officers who spoke Igbo, yourba and hausa. Telling us that it was artillery shells they stored after the civil war that somehow ignited and started exploding.

It was a bloody day. Thousands died at the Amowu odofin carnal. People were jumping into it thinking it's the only way out, only to drown in it.

By morning, the carnal was littered with corpses of women and children. It was a bloody day.

Obsanjo (the the president) visited the site.

Oga which one is Amuwo odofin canal??
something that happened at oke afa, isolo, u dey talk about amuwo odofin... small small nah...Abeg!!!
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Timoleon(m): 11:05am On Oct 11, 2023
Kayyy:

Till date I keep thanking God and grateful it was a Sunday, where those bombs are kept where it started out exploding and CDSS Ikeja is just divided by a walk way, I had graduated from school when it happened but I remember majority of us pass that walkway from close of school to our different lesson classes and some to home and i was sure many still did then , I couldn't have imagined if it was during workday and in the afternoon or evening time like 5, it would have been horrific. Of course they couldn't use the School for years cos the destruction was too terrible.
you’ve explained it better. It was a real danger to return adults to that environment let alone students.
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by MrNipplesLover(m): 11:06am On Oct 11, 2023
Hmmm, Ikeja Cantonment bomb explosion that year...

I dey inside 99 brothel in my former area ifako of Gbagada that day to do a quick day-time knacking (quickie)...

Hmmmm. I can't forget that moment...

Just like yesterday...
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Timoleon(m): 11:09am On Oct 11, 2023
illicit:

Argument get age?

U no read of where Jesus Christ go inside synagogue dey go lecture him papa mates?

🙄
After them no hear preaching wey Jesus dey preach, He commot oraimo chord wipe all of them for neck and back join.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Timoleon(m): 11:10am On Oct 11, 2023
MrNipplesLover:
Hmmm, Ikeja Cantonment bomb explosion that year...

I dey inside 99 brothel in my former area ifako of Gbagada that day to do a quick day-time knacking (quickie)...

Hmmmm. I can't forget that moment...

Just like yesterday...

How much be ashawo that year? Must have been around #300
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Think9ja(m): 11:11am On Oct 11, 2023
BoldBrainz:

I know, right?!

I was in Lagos at the time. That first round of explosions shook the very foundations of our small apartment. Information didn't easily circulate at the time, so first round of public speculations suggested a massive robbery operation.

I remember that very Sunday afternoon like it was yesterday. How time flies

1 Like

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Think9ja(m): 11:23am On Oct 11, 2023
Timoleon:

Started around 4pm actually.

Very correct.
I was wondering why the other guys were mentioning 7pm
I passed by that isolo canal last week for the first time and tears dropped down my eyes.
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by BennyDGreat: 11:27am On Oct 11, 2023
Slimzjoe:

It started later than that bruv. It didn't start before 9pm news but later than 6pm cos weather was already dark. Which was why people wey entering lagoon and Canals blindly.
Also, I remember I was already asleep as at when it began cheesy

It started around 6pm....I remember clearly...
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Timoleon(m): 11:28am On Oct 11, 2023
Think9ja:

Very correct.
I was wondering why the other guys were mentioning 7pm
I passed by that isolo canal last week for the first time and tears dropped down my eyes.

Me and boys were out playing when we started hearing distant thunders and seeing lights in the sky. As peter Drury once said, there are certain events that happen, you always remember where you were, what you were doing and what time it was.

2 Likes

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Think9ja(m): 11:30am On Oct 11, 2023
ellizy:

You should be 30years by now
Hope you're married?

How did you do the math?
I'm 30 and I was in primary 4 or so that time. Dude should be 35 now

1 Like

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Think9ja(m): 11:36am On Oct 11, 2023
Timoleon:

Me and boys were out playing when we started hearing distant thunders and seeing lights in the sky. As peter Drury once said, there are certain events that happen, you always remember where you were, what you were doing and what time it was.

Exactly bro.
I was in MDT Police barracks Ikeja. We were listening to Awilologomgba.
Omo that day bloody
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by alasane: 11:42am On Oct 11, 2023
illicit:

Argument get age?

🙄
This kind reason na him make una believe say PMB na Jubril from Sudan
Online Generations
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by 2Radii: 11:48am On Oct 11, 2023
dododawa1:
on dot

I know, because that my bro is already 39 now cheesy cheesy grin

Life sha...very short something!!

1 Like

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Slimwhyt(m): 11:50am On Oct 11, 2023
I remember this incident that year. Just entered jss 1 at oriwu College, ikorodu. Was really afraid thinking it affected my family then. But, thank God nothing happened to them.
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by illicit(m): 12:02pm On Oct 11, 2023
alasane:

This kind reason na him make una believe say PMB na Jubril from Sudan
Online Generations

I think you are mistaking me for someone else
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by spencekat(m): 12:04pm On Oct 11, 2023
ecolime:

It actually happened son.

It wasn't the bomb that killed majority though. It was the panic that made many ran into canal unknowingly at Oke-Afa cry

You were not yet born then or you were probably still a toddler when it happened.
My friend nearly followed to run into the carnal but later changed his mind.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by Larryndelaw: 12:07pm On Oct 11, 2023
Racoon:
This is just an indictment and gross irresponsibility by the army authority. How can you still ne discovering pieces of bombs that caused massive loss of lives and property more than 21 years ago?

Was it that the BAD or Ordnance corps didn't do their job well with bomb detectors while combing the area back then? Our CBQ was also affected badly that we have to pack out of the area. I passed by Oke Alfa Canal in Isolo area and I remember the victims of this unfortunate incident. RIP people.
Must you comment. Your comments lacks understanding of the issue. Did you know that up till today they are still discovering Bomb and explosives used in WW2. Here you are talking about something that happened 21 years ago. Everything you will condemn Nigeria and it's authority. Think before you react.
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by spencekat(m): 12:08pm On Oct 11, 2023
2Radii:
was in primary 6, second term
You na Gen Z abi which Gen now? grin
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by spencekat(m): 12:10pm On Oct 11, 2023
Think9ja:

I remember that very Sunday afternoon like it was yesterday. How time flies
The way years dey run sef ehnn
Re: Army Discovers Bombs In Ikeja 21 Years After Blast, Begins Clearance by spencekat(m): 12:11pm On Oct 11, 2023
2Radii:
same as my bro..

Age calculator

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Day 2: NLC -TUC Strike Updates / Kogi: LG Workers Reject Salaries Payment From Yahaya Bello, Reveal Why / GEJ: Governors Are The Ones Running Nigeria, President Just One Person In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.