Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,437 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court (26363 Views)

Akure Magistrate Judge Condemns Igbo Custom On Fatherhood / Smith Takema: It’s Ungodly For You To Marry Woman Without Giving Her Enough Sex / My Wicked Wife Didn't Buy Christmas Clothes For Our House Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by izubext007: 3:11pm On Oct 11, 2023
Don't advice any man Igbo to take any Abia girl seriouse , they are naturally cheat.
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by omooba969(m): 3:12pm On Oct 11, 2023
Neddyogu:
U no pay bride price and other customary rites yet u dey claim say u marry. As far as Igbo custom is concerned, they were just cohabiting and fornicating. Children borne to a fornicating unmarried woman belong with their mother's people. The judge is just funny.

If you apply logic, and not emotions, you will understand that both the man and the woman are guilty of the same offence - as per the bolded in ya comment. Therefore, would it not be considered insane and oppressive to want to punish or deny the man in this instance?
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by omooba969(m): 3:17pm On Oct 11, 2023
Neckpresser101:

Is it okay to give girl belle then leave her after all the child is yours!

The reason for the culture is to place respect on the child and her mother

That's why Igbos have the lowest divorce rate in Nigeria

Una YellowBa women wey dey born give 6 men

🤡🤡🤡

Lol 🤣 (@bolded) can you please reference your claim?

Thanks grin
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by Fulgur: 3:17pm On Oct 11, 2023
Jennyclay:
The prophetess must have gone through hell for the past 23 years in the hands of her husband reason she has to end that deadly marriage reason she even had to take her kids along.

Nigerian men will beat their wife to coma. undecided
Nigerian men will rape their wife and they would gladly tell you there’s nothing like rape in marriage. Very sick and disgusting men sad.

Nigerian men won’t even provide and take good care of their wife and children. undecided

Take a look at the case of that gospel singer, Osinachi. Assuming she left that monster of a husband, she would have been alive till now.

Jennyclay is a low intelligence misandrist whose pûssy has been beaten to a numb, hardened clay, hence her open hostility.

Foolish woman.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by omooba969(m): 3:22pm On Oct 11, 2023
shortgun:
Oga Yoruba judge what you don't know is above you
....we love our culture.
Imagine an igbo judge said this about Yoruba culture, education indeed doesn't stop some people from being senseless.

In Igbo culture if you don't pay the bride price of a girl any child she births belong to have father and her community...this is done to ensure that the child has rights, a place in the community and not treated as an outcast. Custody is immediately given to the man whenever he shows interest.

The wisdom of our forefathers is beyond whatever nonsense you will learn from the white man's books

Obviously you are blind to the logic in the delivery of judgement.

Your ilk will rather find comfort in blissful ignorance.

Nonsense and Kanu. cool

1 Like

Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by biina: 3:24pm On Oct 11, 2023
kenex4ever:
The way these people insult what they dont know is funny.

The woman played a fast one on the man and not the custom.

In Igboland, if you dont pay bride price then the child automatically belongs to the woman's father and not any other man. If the new man is intereted in taking care of the children in a case where the real father abandoned them, then they are his by adoption.

But the man in question bleeped up, how can u not marry ur wife and you call yourself a prophet.
Does the woman also automatically become her father's wife, and her children become her siblings? undecided

1 Like

Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by nedekid: 3:26pm On Oct 11, 2023
omooba969:

How does 'not paying a bride price' invalidates a legal/ church marriage?

How does 'paying a bride price' make a marriage a proper one?
It does not invalidate a legal/church marraige.
I do not know if you are a christain and what church you attend. But in most churches, they make sure you have fulfill ed the traditional rite before conducting your marriage. Some ask if tradition has been settled during the service.
Most tribes in Nigeria from Yoruba, igbo, efik etc will ensure proper traditional marriage is done.
Why do you think people getting married abroad but cannot visit naija, still have traditional marriage done for them, even using pictures as representatives?
But you op from years of seeing your post cannot be a young man, you know better, why are you asking such questions naa?
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by LeopardX: 3:26pm On Oct 11, 2023
Wetin concern me?
While I'm not a tribalistic person, I believe everyone should marry within his/her ethnic group.

As a Yoruba man, I can only marry a Yoruba woman who is also a Christian. And while it's not a guarantee of a long and happy union, at least there will be a semblance of understanding and oneness in language and culture.

I love women of other tribes o. But na only Yoruba women dey enter my eyes.

Make prophet take heart. The children may not even be his sef.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by omooba969(m): 3:29pm On Oct 11, 2023
udume:
That is the custom in Igbo land, any Igno girl that gives birth to a child for you, is better you go and pay the bride price if you wants to take custody of the child or you lose the child when she remarries. No apology

No evolution for the 'black man'...lol 😂
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by Kingbuhari(m): 3:29pm On Oct 11, 2023
The kind hatred this black charcoal demons that fall from heaven had for Igbos no be here.. u have Ur own custom why taking panadol for another person's headache... Ndi Ara

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by Mrfeel: 3:30pm On Oct 11, 2023
theophorus:
This people and their barbaric act.
Two adults having lived together for 23 yrs and raise kids together, one of them decides to pack the children and claim because dowry wasn't paid.

Mumu, you know say dem no pay dowry before but you open leg make dem plough your vineyard.
After 23yrs, you come still dey do more mumu acts, instead make your people correct you, dem still dey support your mumu doings.

Why did the man have children with the woman without paying bride price, knowing fully well the woman's custom says as long as he didn't pay bride price the children are not his children , it's not a secret it's something that he knows , if the custom is evil, barbaric, ungodly as you yoruba's see it , why are yoruba's still getting involved with women from this tribe
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by nairayouthcom(m): 3:32pm On Oct 11, 2023
Kingbuhari:
The kind hatred this black charcoal demons that fall from heaven had for Igbos no be here.. u have Ur own custom why taking panadol for another person's headache... Ndi Ara
F custom
When the love Dey totori two of us We f***k and later you Dey cap me say another man go collect my child

You self reason am now
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by omooba969(m): 3:32pm On Oct 11, 2023
nedekid:

It does not invalidate a legal/church marraige.
I do not know if you are a christain and what church you attend. But in most churches, they make sure you have fulfill ed the traditional rite before conducting your marriage. Some ask if tradition has been settled during the service.
Most tribes in Nigeria from Yoruba, igbo, efik etc will ensure proper traditional marriage is done.
Why do you think people getting married abroad but cannot visit naija, still have traditional marriage done for them, even using pictures as representatives?
But you op from years of seeing your post cannot be a young man, you know better, why are you asking such questions naa?

Ok let me ask the question in another way -
'Is the human being made for the customs/culture/tradition

or

customs/culture/tradition is made for the human being?
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by InvertedHammer: 3:33pm On Oct 11, 2023
/
Unnecessary pronouncement.

The government is stronger than customs and the church.

Even traditional rulers need license of recognition from the government while churches need government registration to operate.

The government can change any laws they deem wicked and oppressive. There is no need playing to the gallery.

/
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by Mrfeel: 3:34pm On Oct 11, 2023
Taich:
A very bad mix. The woman married her "spiritual son" and transfer ownership of her "earthly" children to him. You lived with a man through four different successful pregnancy cycles without your bride price being paid and you kept quiet, only to play the card when it was convenient for you to do so. Irresponsible children will always bring shame to the family, fake prophet and prophetess.
Perhaps the children might not be the man's biological children in the first place

1 Like

Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by Ttipsy(f): 3:38pm On Oct 11, 2023
Mcreloaded:

Don't call her his wife after all he has. Ot paid the dowry.
Is it not better your women wait for dowry to be paid before they start having children for a man whose tradition is different from yours.

Will it not be better for the children also if the igbo woman does not have to change father.

Be honest with ur self who suffers when a dowry is not paid, is it not the children.

Enlighten your women to stick to their kind or better still confirm the dowry is paid before they start giving birth.

Well sha everything about it o is money money money.

How much you people will make from the dowryis all that matters to you people. It's business for you people as always.

Stop the evil tradition or go to court.

Like I said before,
Are you more knowledgeable than the judge.

Enlighten your women and stop spreading evil.

I hate person's who like evil and I hate a group of people more who like evil.
Your ways are evil and barbaric as stated by the judge.

Wake up and smell the coffee as your ways make people to hate you guys.

Think deep on what we are discussing
changing the name of the kids to the name of her family is the right thing to do TILL the husband do all the necessary marriage rights
The children remains his nobody is dying that .
I think you need to understand fully about This tradition.
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by omooba969(m): 3:38pm On Oct 11, 2023
CSTRR:
According to him: “In the same breathe, I find the Igbo custom exuded by the respondent and her witnesses that the children of the union can bear Mr Abua Obi as their surname, atavistic, barbaric, evil, ungodly, irrational, unsensational, crass, gross, crude, unwary, provocative, ungodly, discriminatory and insensible.

See what a Judge wrote. For a culture that predates his forefathers, and has helped in the protection of women for generations.

Na igbo women wey dey marry una no get sense.

Lol 😂, talking about Igbo customs & protection of women - guy, I don't think you're ready for this discussion. grin
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by LZAA: 3:45pm On Oct 11, 2023
My own problem is why they don't marry their own women
How can you come out and say another man's custom is bad?
That magistrate is maad with a capital m
Smh

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by omooba969(m): 3:46pm On Oct 11, 2023
CSTRR:

It's not your business.
It's not yours to understand.

We also don't understand why Yoruba people put sacrifices on the roads, but it's not our business.

Why is that difficult to understand?

If any change had to be made, it should come from the men of that culture.

Sleeping with one ada or Nneka in Lagos does not give you the rights into a culture that's not yours.

If you don't like it, marry from your side.

What y'all need to do is to BAN every Igbo woman from marrying outsiders or having kids out of wedlock.
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by Kaysalas(m): 3:50pm On Oct 11, 2023
Jennyclay:
The prophetess must have gone through hell for the past 23 years in the hands of her husband reason she has to end that deadly marriage reason she even had to take her kids along.

Nigerian men will rape their wife and they would gladly tell you there’s nothing like rape in marriage. Very sick and disgusting men sad.

Nigerian men won’t even provide and take good care of their wife and children. undecided

Take a look at the case of that gospel singer, Osinachi. Assuming she left that monster of a husband, she would have been alive till now.
this is obviously a description of your father. Stop profiling. cheesy grin
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by omooba969(m): 3:50pm On Oct 11, 2023
Acidosis:
The judge is right. Greed, crass stup!dity and criminality are the only reasonable explanations for why Igbo elders and traditional rulers have refused to criminalise exorbitant and ridiculously high bride price.

Family men and women should also learn to act right. Tradition is a man-made concept. If your traditions and customs hold more value than your conscience and intellect, then you're extremely stup!d.

Lol 😂 they're coming for you. grin
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by nick50(m): 3:51pm On Oct 11, 2023
The judge himself might be a product of the same system he is presiding over cos most yoruba people doesn't know who thier real father is..the so called prophet deliberately decided not pay pay the lady's bride price for reasons best known to him..in the whole of Nigeria its only the yoruba culture that is complicated ..a tradition that breeds batstards..imagine a sitting president that doesn't have a father

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by omooba969(m): 3:51pm On Oct 11, 2023
Forumobserver12:

The same Yuruba culture that encourages burying their kings with fresh human heads? What could be more barbaric than that?

Reference your claim abeg. undecided

Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by PoliticalChinex(m): 3:53pm On Oct 11, 2023
Jennyclay:

Wetin Nigerian men do u? U no get papa and brothers. U ARE SUFERRING FROM MENOPHOBIA. U NEED TO BE LASHED WITH BIG GBOLA TO RESET YOUR LESBIAN BRAIN
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by Mcreloaded(m): 3:54pm On Oct 11, 2023
Ttipsy:
changing the name of the kids to the name of her family is the right thing to do TILL the husband do all the necessary marriage rights
The children remains his nobody is dying that .
I think you need to understand fully about This tradition.

I am not igbo so I can't u derstand what you are saying.

Your kind can understand and as such don't force your ways or tradition on others.

That's why I say your women should stick to their kind d so there qill be no problem.

Advice your women to make sure dowry is paid. Efore giving birth.

Well sha it is now a precedent in a competent court that has condemned this igbo tradition.

There are reasons for so.e tradition but over time some evil tradition are stopped especially when the tradition involves others who are not from the same igbo tribe.

Better still your women should only marry from their side as it is their ways.

I believe when this tradition was started it wS for igbo os and igbos alone but now that your women have started marrying g outside their tribe then such barbaric and evil tradition should not hold with a man not from igbo.

Think long and hard if this tradition means we'll for the children, or it is a means for parents to make money off their daughters.

I know some igbo o ladies who are I. Their parents house because men have not Co.e to price their market.

Allow your women especially the Adas to breathe

Keep your tradition to igbos and ig os alone and don't force it on other men who are not igbos.

You take my children because I have not paid dowry and you give them to another man and change their names is pure evil as it does not help the children.

Evil is evil and stop explaining or trying g to white wash it as it is plain evil.

If you don't know na u a women dey suffer am.

Not be all men children una go fit take.

Shey this man has gone to court and has won the day.

Some men like us don't need to go to court, we will just make sure the woman collects.

As igbos get craze na so other tribes get craze.

A big advice is for you people to stop forcing your ways on others so as to make other tribes look at you igbos in a good light.

Even if you are good and every other person says you are bad then it means you are bad.

Your tradition of dowry another be better than other tribes.

Force your tradition on your kind and not to others and believe you me there will be peace and respect.

I repeat only weak men will be fighting g to take others children because tootooo too sweet am.

Your dowry matter is all about making g money a d nothing more.
It's barbaric and evil
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by Kingbuhari(m): 4:01pm On Oct 11, 2023
nairayouthcom:

F custom
When the love Dey totori two of us We f***k and later you Dey cap me say another man go collect my child

You self reason am now
deadbeat dad.. nah yellowbar way
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by omooba969(m): 4:03pm On Oct 11, 2023
Ttipsy:
it’s her business to find love wherever she want not disrespecting the tradition of where she’s coming from . .
Her family is ready to take full responsibility of the children till her husband pay her dowry.
That is Igbo culture.
Here she can choose to continue living with her husband, she should not forget that she’s not married yet ! Living with a man and having kids like dogs doesn’t mean you are married hello

Your comment further confirms that the purpose of the said 'bride price' is now defeated, since the two no longer show interest in the union; and is now (by definition) an extortion.
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by emmatuegbe(m): 4:04pm On Oct 11, 2023
All the parties involved are faulted. The so-called prophet and prophetess were only cohabiting and committing fornication. At least, any form of marriage (tradition or court) could have suffice.
The judge cannot dissolve what never existed. There was never a marriage. I believed he allowed emotion to override his logic. Such cases of dissolution shouldn't have been entertained by the court (it is not a question of whether the court has jurisdiction over issues of matrimony or not). What the complainant should have sought was having equal access to the children or the children be splited between both parties.
The so called new father of the children needs to retrace his steps, except he is under spell. How can you inherit children whose father is still alive? Hope the woman is not older than him. When a woman wants to leave her lover, she will cook up one little but weighty evidence against the man.
I believe by Igbo tradition, those children would answer her maiden name/father's name and not the name of the new lover.
Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by Kfed4ril(m): 4:04pm On Oct 11, 2023
theophorus:
This people and their barbaric act.
Two adults having lived together for 23 yrs and raise kids together, one of them decides to pack the children and claim because dowry wasn't paid.

Mumu, you know say dem no pay dowry before but you open leg make dem plough your vineyard.
After 23yrs, you come still dey do more mumu acts, instead make your people correct you, dem still dey support your mumu doings.

Na your culture dey barbaric, how you go carry person daughter for 23 years de knack, and you don’t have the decency to meet her people to do the right thing.
If you can’t deal with any aspect of Igbo culture then leave their women alone, it’s that simple.

You don’t like their culture, leave their women. Not for you to know what’s up, then you still chook head, then later ima go come dey cap nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by Obesity(m): 4:06pm On Oct 11, 2023
I love this court case... Evil tradition must be destroyed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by omooba969(m): 4:06pm On Oct 11, 2023
Ttipsy:
she’s just trying to scare the man away! Or telling him to get married to her properly. A woman who knows the father of her kids can not be so irresponsible.

The man should do the necessary things to claim his kids

If the couple never had kids, would your custom still mandate the man to pay a 'bride price' after separation?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Custom On Bride Price Wicked, Evil Ungodly, Says Ondo Court by nedekid: 4:10pm On Oct 11, 2023
omooba969:

Ok let me ask the question in another way -
'Is the human being made for the customs/culture/tradition

or

customs/culture/tradition is made for the human being?
Customs, culture, and traditions are created by human beings to reflect their values, beliefs, and societal norms. So, in essence, customs, culture, and tradition are made for human beings, as they are products of human society.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Sex And Your Marriage: Pastor Taiwo Odukoya Writes / 'My Pastor Said My Husband Planted A Killer-Charm In My Body' - Nigerian Woman / Parents, Don't Use Your Kids As Your Retirement Plan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.