Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,808 members, 7,813,662 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

The Dilemma Of An Accountant - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / The Dilemma Of An Accountant (11946 Views)

The Dilemma Of A Family man with mouth to Feed And Unpaid Bills / The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. / Dilemma Of A Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Dilemma Of An Accountant by SatanKeepOff: 6:22pm On Oct 15, 2023
I am currently working as an accountant in an oil company based in Nigeria. I have been with this company for three years but initially started as a contract worker for two years before being promoted to the position of assistant supervisor last year.

In my department, we were three accountants sharing the same office, but we had no manager. Instead, we had an assistant manager, an account officer, and myself. With hard work and dedication, I managed to become the best among us. However, earlier this year, the management decided to restructure the department. As a result, they removed my superiors and employed someone at my level and a manager.

Now, my boss is learning the job from me, and the newly employed lady is also at the same level as I am. However, my boss claims that I cannot be promoted because I am not superior to the newly employed lady. The issue is that both my boss and the new lady are learning the job from me, and I believe that I deserve to be promoted since I am already good at the job.

I have talked to my boss several times about this issue, and he still refuses to promote me, stating that there is no superior among us(myself and the new lady). Please, what can I do in this situation?

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by Buharidgeneral: 9:11pm On Oct 15, 2023
Resign if possible because those guys would soon be your boss. May be they have paper qualifications than you

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by LikeAking: 10:06pm On Oct 15, 2023
At least u get job.

Many accountants no get job..

52 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by BIZNess123(m): 10:57pm On Oct 15, 2023
A bird in hand is worth two in the bush

19 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by africanman85: 3:55am On Oct 16, 2023
Hold tight o. I have Accounting qualification but no job

37 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by SatanKeepOff: 9:44am On Oct 16, 2023
Buharidgeneral:
Resign if possible because those guys would soon be your boss. May be they have paper qualifications than you

The woman on my level has a Bachelor of Science degree, but it is classified as a third-class degree in B/F.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by Higherthan: 9:46am On Oct 16, 2023
Don't let them frustrate to to overreact, just do your job in peace please.
Let things happen naturally.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by SatanKeepOff: 9:46am On Oct 16, 2023
I believe that they intend to strip me of my experiences and disregard me.
LikeAking:
At least u get job.

Many accountants no get job..

9 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by FOOTSOLDIER2(f): 9:46am On Oct 16, 2023
The Chicago certificate forger and identity thief comes to mind. Papa mmesomma

5 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by bestman09(m): 9:47am On Oct 16, 2023
Be satisfied with what you have and strive harder to get better. I'm sure you won't be thinking this way if the status quo didn't change. You were just promoted last year and you are already feeling pained because you think you are better than your colleagues.

You are not indispensable! If you don't want to work as a team, you may find yourself in the labor market.

Thank God for where He's taken you so far

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by 1gbdata: 9:48am On Oct 16, 2023
Corruption
Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by icuminpiss(m): 9:48am On Oct 16, 2023
Any intellectual in pol science dept? I want someone who writes projects

2 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by Enemyofpeace: 9:49am On Oct 16, 2023
Travel to your village for them

People will easily come online and say "Pray for me, I'm down with malaria", but no one will say "Pray for me, I have gonorrhoea " 😒😒😁

5 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by ecolime(m): 9:49am On Oct 16, 2023
Hold your job tight but work harder to get another one.

You can never thrive or reach your full potential with a boss like yours.

8 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by Orire01(m): 9:49am On Oct 16, 2023
omo

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by money121(m): 9:49am On Oct 16, 2023
Sorry

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by 2Radii: 9:50am On Oct 16, 2023
SatanKeepOff:
I am currently working as an accountant in an oil company based in Nigeria. I have been with this company for three years but initially started as a contract worker for two years before being promoted to the position of assistant supervisor last year.

In my department, we were three accountants sharing the same office, but we had no manager. Instead, we had an assistant manager, an account officer, and myself. With hard work and dedication, I managed to become the best among us. However, earlier this year, the management decided to restructure the department. As a result, they removed my superiors and employed someone at my level and a manager.

Now, my boss is learning the job from me, and the newly employed lady is also at the same level as I am. However, my boss claims that I cannot be promoted because I am not superior to the newly employed lady. The issue is that both my boss and the new lady are learning the job from me, and I believe that I deserve to be promoted since I am already good at the job.

I have talked to my boss several times about this issue, and he still refuses to promote me, stating that there is no superior among us(myself and the new lady). Please, what can I do in this situation?

U have two options, its either u leave the job or u upgrade ur certification..

No other things, and I am sure u knew this without bn told

7 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by NAC1666: 9:50am On Oct 16, 2023
SatanKeepOff:

Meet your employer

1 Like

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by Reminderz: 9:50am On Oct 16, 2023
keep calm and observe, see how things play out... and that your boss might have a thing for that newly employed lady... you might never know if he's randy or not... just calm down, and you can start seeking opportunities else where, but don't lose this one by nagging your boss too much... people dey look for work oo

4 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by Segzy19: 9:51am On Oct 16, 2023
Keep on with your job until you get another one...

There are no jobs out there o. Don't resign without having another job already secured o. Sometimes, survival is more important than self-esteem and ego especially when you have dependents who rely on you for survival as well...
Stoop until you eventually conquer

Wisdom is applicable here...

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by Squirrel1(m): 9:51am On Oct 16, 2023
Buharidgeneral:
[b]Resign if possibl[/b]e because those guys would soon be your boss. May be they have paper qualifications than you
weti u smoke? Too many mad people on nairaland.

5 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by LaIabobo: 9:51am On Oct 16, 2023
Normal office politics. Dont stay too long with one corporate organisation. 3 years is more than enough to stay with a private firm. Start looking outside asap.
However, be discreet with your move. Don't give them the slightest hint.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by MrMcJay(m): 9:52am On Oct 16, 2023
Look for opportunities outside the company.
Them no tie your placenta there.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by DonroxyII: 9:52am On Oct 16, 2023
SatanKeepOff:
They are Using & Abusing You ...
It's your fault anyway because e no seems like you sabi play Office Diplomacy-Sociopolitical-Relations ....

Either you Boss is bonking that Girl or he is trying to bonk her So Promoting You Might be Offensive to The Girl Spoiling Parolzz ... OG grin ..
Oga Ade, Learn Politics & Forget Matter ... Your Boss Go Mellow Even share You the Koko ....
Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by HeatSeeker(m): 9:52am On Oct 16, 2023
SatanKeepOff:

Don't mention it to your boss anymore. Do you have any professional certifications and trainings apart from your degree? I suggest you get one or two big ones in your field (especially foreign backed and internationally recognized training
courses). Try taking managerial courses too if you can. Then finally, surreptitiously being to apply for another job. Once you get chance, leave there.

4 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by EscalateTech: 9:53am On Oct 16, 2023
Take the self entitlement out and then people might just see a side of you that deserves accolades..

No one is learning the Job from you, every organisation has different accounting procedures and software management except the generally accepted procedures which involves taxation and a few others.. you are only in the best position to put other through.

You have a boss that says everyone is equal including himself, that is an empathetic leader. You already castigated the organization for not promoting you, the new boss, while calling the new lady a 3rd class candidate.. it seems you have forgotten you rose from contract. Throw in the towel and save the coy your toxicity.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by Akfrenzy(m): 9:53am On Oct 16, 2023
grin ask Tinubu for clue
Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by OnlyFiction: 9:54am On Oct 16, 2023
Think
Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by JAYUK(m): 9:55am On Oct 16, 2023
It's simple, remove pride,be polite and friendly while coaching them,but you need to hoard the major knowledge while you upgrade your certification,in doing so you will remain relevant.Do not discuss promotion again and watch how it plays out.

2 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by iCauseTrouble: 9:55am On Oct 16, 2023
angry
Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by Kobicove(m): 9:55am On Oct 16, 2023
Sometimes it is not only years of experience that is used as a basis for deciding who to promote especially in the private sector.

It's very possible that you do not have executive presence which is an essential quality for some supervisory or managerial roles

4 Likes

Re: The Dilemma Of An Accountant by Nobody: 9:57am On Oct 16, 2023
You left out some details like your level of education and qualifications...

The fact that you know the job well means they should respect you but that doesn't mean you're actually more qualified because you don't know if these guys also have certain experiences valuable to your employer.

Are you a graduate? If so, is it HND or BSc.? Do you have a certification like ICAN or CIBN etc?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Job Opportunity In A Newly Established Company In Ibadan / How To Check If Your Name Is On The Npower Posting List On Npower Portal / 5 Tips For A Successful Modern Job Search

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.