Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,669 members, 7,809,534 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:56 AM

Disband The Nigerian Police Force! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Disband The Nigerian Police Force! (1042 Views)

Buhari Under Pressure To Disband DSS, Nigeria’s Secret Police. / Nasarawa Assembly Asks CJ To Disband Impeachment Panel / FG Should Disband ASUU – Anglican Primate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Disband The Nigerian Police Force! by infolpf: 10:02pm On Oct 23, 2011
Is there any question in anyone's mind that the current crop of "police officers" are not re-trainable? Are so deeply mired in corruption, mediocrity, idiocy, and trigger happiness that they cannot be debriefed? IMHO, The only way to get a police force that actually SERVES the people is to disband the entire force top to bottom, and start from scratch - a newly recruited, newly trained force. Any of our "Western" partners would no doubt help recruit and train. The question is can we put our pride and arrogance long enough to ask for help? The US did it in Iraq in record time, and they now have a crack force.

I am a proud citizen of Nigeria. I do not feel safe in my country. I feel even more unsafe when I see police officers. I have totally lost faith in the Nigerian Police Force.
Re: Disband The Nigerian Police Force! by jamace(m): 6:02am On Oct 24, 2011
Na only police? Disband every thing in Naija. They've all fu**ked up. sad angry
Re: Disband The Nigerian Police Force! by Nobody: 6:06am On Oct 24, 2011
I'd like to give the same excuse manny4lyfe gave to opt out of this revolution thing : If only I was in Nigeria.
Re: Disband The Nigerian Police Force! by infolpf: 6:10pm On Oct 24, 2011
^^
LOL. However, the recent revolutions owe their success to people outside the country, citizens and interested watchers! We as a people can and MUST demand a change! If we do not speak up in one united voice, how do we stop all the murders of innocent citizens by policemen who seem to have lost their minds? We have asked for accountability, in futility. The murders continue, with impunity, the harassment continues, and NOBODY is held accountable! When does it all end?
Re: Disband The Nigerian Police Force! by infolpf: 5:54am On Jan 15, 2012
Associated Press, December 21, 2011:

The entire police force in the major Gulf coast port city of Veracruz was dissolved on Wednesday, and Mexican officials sent the Navy in to patrol.

The Veracruz state government said the decision is part of an effort to root out police corruption and start from zero in the state's largest city.

State spokeswoman Gina Dominguez said 800 police officers and 300 administrative employees were laid off. At a press conference, she said they can apply for jobs in a state police force, but must meet stricter standards for an agency with officers "who are better trained and more committed and who can deliver under our current security circumstances."

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/21/144097054/mexico-disbands-entire-police-force-in-veracruz

IT CAN BE DONE! WE NEED AN EDUCATED POLICE FORCE, COMMITTED TO ORDER & SERVICE!
Re: Disband The Nigerian Police Force! by ShangoThor(m): 8:36am On Jan 15, 2012
I once saw a Thread (Poll) on NL titled 'Have you ever given a bribe', and the answers posters gave were very interesting.

Now considering that the act of giving and taking a bribe involves two felony or criminal acts, it would be interesting to start a poll to find out if anybody has actually reported being forced to pay a bribe to any individual to the Police in Nigeria?

See, in addition, it is a well known fact that most members or agents of the NPF are corrupt and take bribes (openly) check-points galore, but where can an honest Nigerian go to report these types of crimes, and please don't say the EFCC.

I once had an argument with a poster on NL that was justifying Police corruption and bribe receipt, he claimed it caused no harm and they were using it as a means to subsidize their meagre wages (I mean what a friggin slowpoke). But my point is unless the Citizenry accept that the whole damn Malfunctioning State needs an overhaul they are just delaying the inevitable and promoting poverty amongst the majority of the populace.
Re: Disband The Nigerian Police Force! by infolpf: 4:50am On Jan 16, 2012
^^ hear, hear. Applause!

(1) (Reply)

Imo State Government Issued Bounced Cheques To Teachers / Ribadu Returning To Nigeria Today: Likely To Return To Efcc - Naijapundit / Is Fashola God? Or Are His Supporters Simply Sychophants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.