Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,317 members, 7,815,601 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months (5522 Views)

Nigerian Air: FG Spent N190bn On Ethiopian Aircraft Photoshoot- Peter Okoye / TIMELINE: As Buhari Has Spent 171 Days In UK On Medical Vacation - The Cable / Abba Kyari: How FG Spent Millions Of Naira In Trying To Save Buhari's COS - SR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by peekspot(m): 6:56pm On Oct 18, 2023

The Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC) says the federal government paid a total of N171.25 billion as electricity subsidy in the first six months of 2023.

NERC, in its second-quarter (Q2) report dated October 17, 2023, said the subsidy was due to the absence of cost-reflective tariffs across all distribution companies.

During the first half (H1) of the year, the commission reported a total subsidy of N171.25 billion, with N36.02 billion incurred in the first quarter (Q1) and N135.23 billion in Q2.

According to the commission, the increase in Q2 can be primarily attributed to the government’s policy of harmonising exchange rates.

“In the absence of cost-reflective tariffs, the government undertakes to cover the resultant gap (between the cost-reflective and allowed tariff) in the form of tariff shortfall funding,” the report said.

“This funding is applied to the Nigerian Bulk Electricity Trading (NBET) invoices that are to be paid by DisCos.

“The amount to be covered by the DisCo is based on the allowed tariff determined by the Commission and set out as their Minimum Remittance Obligation(MRO) in the periodic Tariff Orders issued by the Commission.

“It is important to note that due to the absence of cost-reflective tariffs across all DisCos, the government incurred a subsidy obligation of N135.23 billion in 2023/Q2, which is an increase of N99.21 billion (+275%) compared to the ₦36.02 billion incurred in 2023/Q1.”

The report also highlighted that, on average, the subsidy obligation incurred by the government per month was N45.08 billion in Q2 2023.

The NERC said the government’s subsidy obligation meant that in 2023/Q2, Discos were only expected to cover 53.25 percent of the total invoice received from NBET.

DISCOs RAKE IN N267.9BN, Q2 COLLECTION EFFICIENCY AT 75.5%

According to the NERC, DisCos revenue for Q2 stood at N267.86 billion achieving a 75.5 percent collection efficiency.

In Q1, the collection efficiency stood at 68.75 percent.

Collection efficiency is the ratio of the amount that has been collected from customers relative to the amount billed to them by the DisCos.

For example, collection efficiency of 70 percent implies that for every N100 worth of energy billed to customers by DisCos, approximately N30 remained unrecovered from the billed customers.

NERC said: “The total revenue collected by all DisCos in 2023/Q2 was N267.86 billion out of the N354.61 billion that was billed to customers.”

“This translates to a collection efficiency of 75.54%. The DisCos overall collection efficiency increased by 6.79 percent point from 68.75% recorded in 2023/Q1.

“While the total collections increased by 8.41% (compared to N247.09 billion in 2023/Q1), the total billings declined by -1.33% (compared to N359.38 billion in 2023/Q1).”

The report also shows that all other discos apart from Yola discos recorded an improvement in collection efficiency in Q2.

The top performing DisCos were Kaduna, Ikeja and Enugu with (44.27 percent to 59.38 percent ), (87.19 percent to 95 percent ) and (68.55 percent to 76.29 percent) increases in collection efficiency respectively.

Yola DisCo had a decrease from 45.71 percent to 45.27 percent in collection efficiency within the
same period.

https://www.thecable.ng/nerc-fg-spent-n171-3bn-on-electricity-subsidy-in-six-months/amp

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Project360: 6:57pm On Oct 18, 2023
All those money for just 6 months, well low currency is the cause

1 Like

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Righthussle: 7:11pm On Oct 18, 2023
The billions I read these days are too much.

19 Likes

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Smithkafors(m): 7:16pm On Oct 18, 2023
Lol, vote better person una go rig put tribalism.

Imagine Peter Obi as president. Him for don waka round Nigeria finding ways to organise this country.

He will cut down unnecessary wastage.

We never get 247light o. We still dey for subsidy like this. 171 billion don waka.

66 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Xxxxtentacion2: 7:17pm On Oct 18, 2023
tinubu has pocketed billions... we too like play for this country... cheesy

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Chinym(m): 7:23pm On Oct 18, 2023
Xxxxtentacion2:
tinubu has pocketed billions...
we too like play for this country... cheesy

1 Like

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Nbote(m): 8:59pm On Oct 18, 2023
Which subsidy again? The ones they've been removing by hiking electricity tariffs

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Dest8sman: 9:28pm On Oct 18, 2023
Federal government spends billions on electricity subsidy, yet my electricity bill is now higher than my house rent.

60 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Parydelegate: 4:54am On Oct 19, 2023
Subsidy is back

3 Likes

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by masterflowx(m): 4:57am On Oct 19, 2023
Na abroad den dey import electricity too? I thought Nigeria is generating electricity by themselves.

Once you hear news like this, just expect the news of increase in electricity tariff in few days time.

15 Likes

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Wealthoptulent(m): 5:06am On Oct 19, 2023
Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Greenfusion: 5:17am On Oct 19, 2023
masterflowx:

Na abroad den dey import electricity too? I thought Nigeria is generating electricity by themselves.

Once you hear news like this, just expect the news of increasie in electricity tariff in few days time.

Yes o, u know as dollar high, d importer dey fine am difficult to get dollar to import more electricity.......what a country, na we dey do ourselves

12 Likes

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Bukola94: 5:22am On Oct 19, 2023
Nbote:
Which subsidy again? The ones they've been removing by hiking electricity tariffs
Don't mind them,PHCN bring 16k estimated bill for me,I got a solar power energy has plan B,I set trap for them. By God grace next year, I am done with NEPA light, hope to get inverter with bigger battery and more panels.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by SoNature(m): 5:27am On Oct 19, 2023
Tomorrow, Nigerians will claim that the government does nothing for them, not knowing that government pays part of their NEPA bill, school fees and hospital bills.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Iamzik: 5:39am On Oct 19, 2023
Bukola94:
Don't mind them,PHCN bring 16k estimated bill for me,I got a solar power energy has plan B,I set trap for them. By God grace next year, I am done with NEPA light, hope to get inverter with bigger battery and more panels.

Agbado will soon start taxing solar panels. No where to hide grin grin

But seriously solar is the better option now despite the relatively high initial cost of ownership l. Nice one!

12 Likes

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Basicend: 5:53am On Oct 19, 2023
They are crazy. .

The little peanut they are giving citizens they are here making noise. .

What is the responsibility of a Tinubu and Buhari govt to his people?

To distribute palliatives to them like alumajiris?

1 Like

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by kennyz247(m): 6:11am On Oct 19, 2023
A country where electric bill is twice higher than house rent despite pathetic electricity supply...
Subsidy for no light ...

9 Likes

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by veekid(m): 6:16am On Oct 19, 2023
But you can't make a damn payment for a roasted corn on a pipeline highway.

1 Like

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Bukola94: 6:19am On Oct 19, 2023
Iamzik:

Agbado will soon start taxing solar panels. No where to hide grin grin

But seriously solar is the better option now despite the relatively high initial cost of ownership l. Nice one!
LOL,@Agbado will soon start taxing solar, u dislike the man like shit. I realised that one can do without PHCN light after some research. what is difficult now is our deep freezer and hot plates, to do away with that? I have new modern charcoal, but I want to leave gas cylinder totally but my wife is not cooperating, she prefer gas cylinder because it is faster...
Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Bukola94: 6:21am On Oct 19, 2023
kennyz247:
A country where electric bill is twice higher than house rent despite pathetic electricity supply...
Subsidy for no light
It tires me,I have set trap for PHCN official and staff,but them never enter am,I want to sell of my meter and get another meter that I won't use.just want to purchase it in case electricity improve and 24/7 light is no longer a rocket science

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by anonymous1759(m): 6:25am On Oct 19, 2023
cheesy
Smithkafors:

Imagine Peter Obi as president. Him for don waka round Nigeria finding ways to organise this country.

We never get 247light o. We still dey for subsidy like this. 171 billion don waka.

Stop lying there wasn’t constant power supply in Anambra when he was governor why are you guys lying always 🐽even the road to government office was deplorable under Obi I was there 😁😁😁 your lies can and will never work on me.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by IamANigerianMan: 6:52am On Oct 19, 2023
99.9% of Nigerians are evil , heartless

1 Like

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Khyrvxjzy: 6:53am On Oct 19, 2023
Smithkafors:

no ibo man will be president

2 Likes

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by EdiskyHarry: 6:55am On Oct 19, 2023
Subsidy how?
On light we don't see?
Where I'm staying if you see light once in a week, then Unna get luck
Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Omoejigbahe(m): 6:56am On Oct 19, 2023
I still don't know why we demonize subsidy in Nigeria, there is no government in the developed world that does not subsidize the living standard of it's citizens. The government should block leakages and let the poor breathe.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by stonemasonn: 7:00am On Oct 19, 2023
Electricity subsidy!
SMH
Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Awaja(m): 7:08am On Oct 19, 2023
Remove electricity subsidy because we no get light,being back fuel subsidy because that's the little succour we need.
Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by Mrpojj(m): 7:15am On Oct 19, 2023
peekspot:

https://www.thecable.ng/nerc-fg-spent-n171-3bn-on-electricity-subsidy-in-six-months/amp
I no blame una,na we the masses no want wake up,
Subsidy where
For the past 4 years they have been increasing cost of buying power like every month,and we are still talking about subsidy
Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by vowiski(m): 7:15am On Oct 19, 2023
How much did the same government spend on buying cars for law makers ? Nonsense

I see no reason why govt can’t subsidize fuel and electricity for the masses…

Only ignorant people will shouting remove subsidy .. what is your government doing for you? Nothing!!!!

Remove the corruption in subsidy and not subsidy. Make the process very simple and transparent, we won’t be were we are today..

Despite the huge GDP of America, they still provide various forms of subsidies , but the corrupt palliatives to bla bla bla poorest homes that no body sees…
Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by billyG(m): 7:49am On Oct 19, 2023
Which electricity subsidy again?
Re: NERC: FG Spent ₦‎171.3 Billion On Electricity Subsidy In Six Months by clinician2x: 7:51am On Oct 19, 2023
I never see electricity since 3 weeks now. I de spend 120k monthly on fuel oo

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Conditions Of Nigeria's Police Force / Pics: How Fayemi Made Atiku To Commission Uncompleted General Hospital - Fayose' / Our President Has Gone Mad Again!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.