Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,538 members, 7,816,309 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:19 AM

Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede (9689 Views)

Tinubu Appoints Ola Olukoyede As New EFCC Chairman, Hammajoda As Secretary / Tinubu To Appoint Olanipekun Olukoyede As New EFCC Chairman - Premium Times / Governors Endorse FG’s Proposal To Share Only N900bn From N1.9trn FAAC Revenue (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by Islie: 12:41pm On Oct 19, 2023
The new Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ola Olukoyede, says about ₦2.9 trillion meant for some government projects was diverted into personal use by contractors between 2018 and 2020.

Mr Olukoyede disclosed this on Wednesday when he appeared before the Senate for screening.

The upper chamber confirmed him after the exercise.

“I did a survey between 2018 and 2020 on 50 entities in Nigeria, both human and corporate entities. I picked just one scheme, one specie of fraud, which is called contract and procurement fraud. I discovered that within the three years, Nigeria lost N2.9trn,” the EFCC chairman said.

Mr Olukoyede said the stolen funds during the period under review would have been used for useful government projects, if the former authorities of the anti-corruption agency had prevented it from being diverted.

“When I put my figures together, I discovered that. If the country had prevented the money from being stolen, it would have given us 1,000 kilometers of road, it would have built close to 200 standard tertiary institutions. It would have also educated about 6,000 children from primary to tertiary levels at N16m per child.

“It would have also delivered more 20,000 units of three bedroom houses across the country. It would have given us a world-class teaching hospitals in each of the 36 states of the country and the Federal Capital Territory.

“This is where we are coming from, this is where we are. Where we are going, it depends on the decision the Senate would take this afternoon.”

Transparency

Mr Olukoyede assured that his administration as chairman of the EFCC would be transparent and accountable.

He said he will introduce a transactional credit system that will prevent Nigerians from purchasing luxurious properties by cash in order to be able to monitor financial transactions of some individuals.

“Without downplaying the importance of enforcement. There is what we call a transactional credit system. If we continue to allow Nigerians to buy houses, cars and other luxurious properties by cash, because we don’t have an effective credit system, 1,000 anti-corruption agencies will not do us any good and that is the reality.

“We must create an atmosphere to make sure that people have choices. If I don’t steal money, can I afford to train my children in school with good standards? If I don’t steal money, can I buy a car after I have worked for five years? If I don’t steal money, can I put a three room bungalow in place after I had worked for 20 years?

“An average Nigerian does not own a home, when he has the opportunity, he would steal. Even if he did not have the opportunity he would create one,” he said.

Court Cases and technicalities

The EFCC chairman stressed that for proper justice to be delivered on fraud allegations, judges must look beyond technicalities when deciding judgments.

He recommended that cases on fraud allegations should not exceed more than five years from the High Court to the Supreme Court.

“In order to encourage our criminal justice system to work, the substance should be taken above technicalities. We must encourage our criminal justice system to adjudicate in such a way that it will not drag for a very long time. Prosecution should not be allowed to last for a maximum of five years from the court of first instance to the Supreme Court.

“The Senate can work on that very seriously. If we make the administration of the criminal justice system really work, you will see the great work the anti-corruption agencies are doing,,” Mr Olukoyede stated.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/635020-nigeria-lost-%E2%82%A62-9trn-through-contract-fraud-in-three-years.html

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by God1000(m): 12:55pm On Oct 19, 2023
We keep hearing this from every new government and nothing will change

Corruption will kill us if we don't kill it

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by Racoon(m): 1:15pm On Oct 19, 2023
Contract kickback frauds are the most commonly entrenched institutional corruption among civil servants. It is sad that it is so endemic that removing it is like removing bedbugs from a bed they have infested.

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by CodeTemplar: 1:22pm On Oct 19, 2023
That's in capital cost o. Future recurrent cost like tolling are still there.

And we want Nigeria to work.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by WhisperedNoise: 1:48pm On Oct 19, 2023
May thunder fire Buhari and Tinubu together. May God punish the people who are diverting government money to personal use. May God judge the folks who are bent on foisting a failed ruler on the Nigerian people.

AMEN

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by MorataFC: 1:48pm On Oct 19, 2023
Good
Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by Humidiet: 1:48pm On Oct 19, 2023
Wow

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by freemonts87: 1:49pm On Oct 19, 2023
Lost the money to who exactly?
Why aren't the people named? angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by etcme(m): 1:49pm On Oct 19, 2023
So how many have you arrested and how many are you planning to arrest.

Tomorrow, next thing we will see is mugshot of boys been arrested by your men in the name of "yahoo boys".

Oga, you and your men should go after these politicians ASAP

21 Likes

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by backinsidse: 1:49pm On Oct 19, 2023
Being one of the most corrupt nations, I feel that value is even low.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by Klington: 1:49pm On Oct 19, 2023
The money was stolen by the criminals in position.

Nigeria is a crime scene.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by UnknownT: 1:50pm On Oct 19, 2023
Before you get too happy with whatever he said, juxtapose it with what Bawa the former chairman said during his own time and see if he achieved it, that will give you an idea of things to come under the chairmanship of this one

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by kapelvej: 1:50pm On Oct 19, 2023
Lost to who ? Buhari and his APC thieves

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by FreshNotemike: 1:50pm On Oct 19, 2023
To who exactly?
External forces or just normal contract sum padding? angry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by YorubaKinging: 1:50pm On Oct 19, 2023
The end is near

Many people didn’t believe that the clone of Mohammed Buhari was the president.

But we move

88 Likes

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by Wisidojack828: 1:51pm On Oct 19, 2023
Hmmm naija my country cheesy
Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by sofeo(m): 1:51pm On Oct 19, 2023
It's alright
Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by obi58: 1:51pm On Oct 19, 2023
2018-2020 - 2.9 trn stolen in only one example of fraud.

Yet APC claimed Buhari's administration was the bastion of anti corruption.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by magoo10(m): 1:52pm On Oct 19, 2023
and this happened under the nose of apc not labour party nor any other party.wey the shameless crooks supporting them

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by opalu: 1:52pm On Oct 19, 2023
Story
Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by Mday0194: 1:53pm On Oct 19, 2023
Learn crypto trading and earn in dollars
Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by Teetee777: 1:53pm On Oct 19, 2023
I pray it works because that what others used to say whenever they resumed the office but after the taste of sugar, the music will change.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by whirlout: 1:53pm On Oct 19, 2023
Imagine making this kind of argument in front of a bunch of corrupt criminals sitting there in a plenary headed by a fantastically corrupt Akpabio. Country is officially a criminal enterprise and I doubt any difference can be made at this point

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by atobs4real(m): 1:54pm On Oct 19, 2023
Very correct.
Ph refinery spare parts miss mach
Imagine you gave a contract to me and I now told I bought what is different from the machine

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by atobs4real(m): 1:54pm On Oct 19, 2023
Very correct.
Ph refinery spare parts miss mach
Imagine you gave a contract to me and I now told I bought what is different from the machine
Are you mad or something

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by CelestineNelson: 1:54pm On Oct 19, 2023
The judiciary and politicians are the criminals dragging this nations backward...someone will steal, EFFC charge him to court, the person will bribe the judge, judge will start parroting technicalities in the face of obvious evidence , my God...none of those big criminals is jail. Some arrive the court on wheel chair to pretend that they are sick
Very correct.
Ph refinery spare parts miss mached
Imagine you gave a contract to me and I now told I bought what is different from the material
We are corrupt and more than the word corrupt
Are you mad or something
Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by oluwaseyi0: 1:55pm On Oct 19, 2023
Their is no contract fraud anywhere it's simply the politicians and the senior civil servants defrauding Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by wittywriter: 1:55pm On Oct 19, 2023
freemonts87:
Lost the money to who exactly?
Why aren't the people named? angry
whirlout:
Imagine making this kind of argument in front of a bunch of corrupt criminals sitting there in a plenary headed by a fantastically corrupt Akpabio. Country is officially a criminal enterprise and I doubt any difference can be made at this point

Wittyness.
Re: Nigeria Lost ₦2.9trn Through Contract Fraud In 3 Years - Olukoyede by DaddyJapan(m): 1:56pm On Oct 19, 2023
Islie:

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/635020-nigeria-lost-%E2%82%A62-9trn-through-contract-fraud-in-three-years.html

Although I questioned his appointment to begin with, this forensic assessment along with his proposal for a credit system marks him out as someone who means well. In my view, anyone who comes up with innovative ideas that are reflect our peculiar realities is worth listening to.

I will keep an open mind from hereon.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Disburses N105.5 Billion For 260 Roads Repairs Nationwide / The Problem Of Ethnicity In Nigeria / 2023: Why PDP Must Zone Presidency To The South East - Nnaemeka U Trump

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.