Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,288 members, 7,836,273 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? (7747 Views)

Is It Right Or Wrong For A Candidate To Ask Questions (s) During An Interview? / What Was The Condition They Gave You That Made You Reject A Job Offer? / 8 Reasons To Reject A Job Offer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by JoshTim: 12:45pm On Oct 20, 2023
[quote author=IyaTola post=126496735][/quote]

Yes. Even for this lagos wey we dey. Some companies on the island will not consider your application if you are staying on the mainland. Them plenty

2 Likes

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by niel63(m): 12:46pm On Oct 20, 2023
Yes! Especially if you're in Nigeria.
They'd tell you that can't work with you for these 3 reasons.

Una no get light,
Una no get better Internet
And the timezone/time difference go turn problem.

Atleast I've had these issues. Dem know say you go fit do the Job, but you dey 9ja!
grin grin kai, this country.

2 Likes

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Pootle: 12:51pm On Oct 20, 2023
yes they do major criteria especially with the high cost associated with transport now

1 Like

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by isArray: 1:15pm On Oct 20, 2023
They do, first hand experience!

1 Like

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by DEBJOCH1(m): 1:25pm On Oct 20, 2023
THE FIRST CRITERIAL IN HIRING A QULAIFIED STAFF IS JOB EXPEREINCE, SECOND IS CERTICATION THEN, THE NEXT IS LOCATION.

IF YOU GET ALL REQUIREMENT AND STAY IN A DIFFERENT LOCATION, MOST ORGANIZATION WONT EVEN MIND CALLING YOU BACK. REASON WHY MOST ORGANIZATION WILL WRITE IT BOLD IN THEIR ADVERT" ALL APPLICANTS MUST BE RESIDENT IN ISLAND OR MAINLAND"

I HAVE SEEN A VERY CLOSE FRIEND OF MINE LOST A VERY GOOD JOB OPPORTUNITY BECAUSE OF LOCATION. HE STAYS IN A NEARBY STATE, I ADVISED HIM TO EDIT HIS CV THEN PUT MY HOUSE ADDRESS IN SURULERE IN HIS CV AS HIS PLACE OF RESIDENCE BEFORE GOING FOR THE INTERVIEW.

WHEN HE GOT THERE, THE FIRST THING THEY SIGHTED IN HIS CV WAS, "YOU STAY OUTSIDE LAGOS" WE ARE NOT SURE YOU CAN COPE WITH THIS JOB IF GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO WORK WITH US. BY THE TIME THE GUY COULD COME BACK TO HIS SENSES BY TRYING TO CONVINCE THEM THAT HE HAS A PLACE TO STAY IN SURULERE BLA BLA BLA, IT WAS ALREADY TOO FAR.

SO LOCATION COME FIRST. I CANT HAVE A SHOP IN SURULERE AND GO OUT SEARCHING FOR A SHOP ATTENDANT WHO LIVE IN OKOKOMAIKO OR AJANGBADI, THAT CANT BE POSSIBLE, OTHERWISE, THAT WILL MARK THE END OF MY BUSINESS, BECAUSE MY CUSTOMER WILL SUFFER IT.

2 Likes

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by agaliboy: 1:35pm On Oct 20, 2023
My current employer didn’t use location against me when recruiting me. I lived in Florida USA. The job is in Illinois USA. Still got the job and employer paid for and handled my relocation

2 Likes

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by vickydevoka(m): 1:49pm On Oct 20, 2023
In de UK , location is important than knowledge. Unless you are ready to relocate

1 Like

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by extremelygolden: 2:06pm On Oct 20, 2023
Yes, some job vacancies are location-specified, especially in this era of high cost of commuting.

Companies would prefer employing candidates who won't be using high transport fare,or inability to secure vehicle on time as an excuse to skip work or come late to work.

It has been existing low key before now, but obviously trending now.
Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by alizma: 2:08pm On Oct 20, 2023
YES, Workforce did it to me in Enugu, I passed their interview, first and second stage but on getting to the documentation stage, the guy realized I used my permanent location address and he carelessly told me he won't take my documents.
It was like my village people followed me that day.
The guys that handled the first stage had to tell me to wait till the whole thing was over so I could talk to him, I waited till it was around 8:30, begged this guy but he refused, I ended up sleeping on a table till the following day.
I pray I see the guy someday so I can show him that God still exist and he alone has the final say about me.

2 Likes

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by sdavirus: 3:11pm On Oct 20, 2023
Recruiter here: In specific situations, yes.

This usually happens when you have several strong candidates.

Factors that come into play are needs of the client, responsibilities and so on.

When the salary isn't large, it may also affect the decision of the hiring manager.

1 Like

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Image123(m): 3:38pm On Oct 20, 2023
Of course. Why would you employ someone far away when you can get someone near.
When they employ you, it's still you that will come with entitlement mentality of didn't they know or see my address before employing me? How do they expect me not to be late, or to cope with transportation and family balance. Do they want me to use my salary to rent accommodation or move my family, etc.

1 Like

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Gbolly4unow: 3:46pm On Oct 20, 2023
As at now, there is no employment law, both local and international that says a candidate cannot be discriminated on location ground.

If your work is skilled and technical based, and in shortage in the economy. I think regardless of your location, HR might be in roundtable discussion with you and see how they can be flexible with you because you are needed like..... But, for non-technical, you need to be wise on your location, many applicants will be applied on nearby location.

Though it is both unconscious and conscious biasedness that HR professionals bring to recruitment decisions.

1 Like

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by dewiseacre(m): 4:01pm On Oct 20, 2023
I am a recruiter and yes, sometimes, we don't consider some candidates' applications because they don't have good proximity to the location of the client.

There can be exceptions that why I said 'sometimes'

1 Like

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Meerahbel: 4:11pm On Oct 20, 2023
MrRemedyAlagbo:
Yes they're even stating specific location now
Really 😂
Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Meerahbel: 4:13pm On Oct 20, 2023
Helpfromabove1:
Certainly A big YES

Location matters and has a direct link to how effective you will be at work, leaving to far from work that will require you driving a long distance to and fro will certainly affect your productivity
And become useless at night.
Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Meerahbel: 4:19pm On Oct 20, 2023
tugbala11:
yessooo

As an employer of Labour myself with an office in Surulere, once i saw your CV stating locations in Ipaja, Ikorodu, Abule Egba, Iyana Ipaja, Alagbado, Ajah, Akowonjo, Ojo, Ikotun, Mile 12, Ojodu Berger/Alagbole and other distant locations, you will never be called for interview because once you get started with work after the initial gragra and desperation to work, natural occurrence associated with coming and going from long distance will surely occur as we are human excpet you state that you have place(s)you can relocate or stay that would be close r to the office inside your CV or body of applications.

Most Nigerian youths dont think proactively in that line and see critical reasons why they are not getting enough or quality interview oppurtunities

What we experience as applicants/ organisational staff in this Lagos especially is Absolutely NOT ideal or normal. How can you be staying in Ipaja/Ayobo and go work everyday in Ajah? by time you do such for 6 months, 1 year or 3 years, how you expect to remain the same and not grow old prematurely? Thats absolutely insane! But some see it as normal. Some employers dont care wherever you will be coming from. Just ensure you get to work at assigned time

With me, good staff benefits, welfare and vibrancy matter in order for you to be productive

But to make, man/woman must survive!
My cousin stays in Agege and works in Lekki. My ex stays in Ago palace and worked in Ajah cry
Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Meerahbel: 4:20pm On Oct 20, 2023
Maj196:
Before, you no go like work from Abuja to Ilorin everyday undecided
if the 🚆 are working why not.
Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Meerahbel: 4:21pm On Oct 20, 2023
shocked
JoshTim:

Yes. Even for this lagos wey we dey. Some companies on the island will not consider your application if you are staying on the mainland. Them plenty
That's location discrimination
Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Meerahbel: 4:22pm On Oct 20, 2023
niel63:
Yes! Especially if you're in Nigeria.
They'd tell you that can't work with you for these 3 reasons.

Una no get light,
Una no get better Internet
And the timezone/time difference go turn problem.

Atleast I've had these issues. Dem know say you go fit do the Job, but you dey 9ja!
grin grin kai, this country.
Remote job?
Get a solar system installed.
Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Fab21: 5:22pm On Oct 20, 2023
I think it's also important that recruiters should employ virtual interview..

1 Like

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by niel63(m): 5:41pm On Oct 20, 2023
Meerahbel:
Remote job?
Get a solar system installed.

I had solar.
You no get the gist?
Them say, based on your geographical location, dem no fit risk am.

If you're lucky with one that overlook those, then kudos... that's an experience I'm sharing bro.

2 Likes

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Chetas81(m): 5:53pm On Oct 20, 2023
The one with accommodation won't reject you, but not good for married couples

1 Like

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Mczigx(m): 6:09pm On Oct 20, 2023

Yes we do.

Especially if the pay for the role is not much

1 Like

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Meerahbel: 6:31pm On Oct 20, 2023
niel63:

I had solar.
You no get the gist?
Them say, based on your geographical location, dem no fit risk am.

If you're lucky with one that overlook those, then kudos... that's an experience I'm sharing bro.
I am a lady.
Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Meerahbel: 6:31pm On Oct 20, 2023
Chetas81:
The one with accommodation won't reject you, but not good for married couples
True
Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Meerahbel: 6:32pm On Oct 20, 2023
Fab21:
I think it's also important that recruiters should employ virtual interview..

if they refuse virtual interview, it san indication that they are archiac and stick with old ways of doing things.
Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Salvation2: 6:46pm On Oct 20, 2023
fawaz050:
sorry for your ordeal

Thanks bro. That's why I stopped applying to any sensitive company where a tribe is predominant like Shell/NNPC and other sensitive government Ministries/Establishments in Nigeria. That's what made me become focused on developing a skill set for my self. Became independent by learning a skill set and became a boss of my own.

...to be frank, I wish I listened to my elder brother and left Nigeria for Canada in 2010. Based on what's going on right now, the country is heading for the rocks. A foundation built on lies won't last! A house divided among itself cannot stand!! And it's crystal clear that people are paid to tell and maintain lies that we are one but obviously, we don't like each other and we are not one at all...I call a SPADE a SPADE!!

He who can afford it should look for his way and leave because our people are almost irredeemable. Save ur unborn children because no one cares about humans in Nigeria. Even COWs are taking more seriously than most humans in Nigeria. Take my word to the BANK!!!

1 Like

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by niel63(m): 7:10pm On Oct 20, 2023
Meerahbel:
I am a lady.

Apologies... my lady. I didn't pay attention to the name.

But these days sha, babes sef don dey answer bro. cheesy and guys, sis!

No mind me jare... grin
Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by Fab21: 7:30pm On Oct 20, 2023
Meerahbel:
if they refuse virtual interview, it san indication that they are archiac and stick with old ways of doing things.

Exactly.

Most job seekers can't even afford cab fare for the interviews.

It's not easy.

1 Like

Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by godwinstringed1(m): 7:30pm On Oct 20, 2023
grin
Re: Do Recruiters Reject A Candidate Because Of Location? by osazsky(m): 8:33pm On Oct 20, 2023
Salvation2:
Yes I was rejected in NDDC twice, in 2007 at Bayelsa State and Port Harcourt because am not from Naija Delta. They told me KOROKORO that they will not take me because am IGBO....and I wept and went solo.
kia they dodged a bullet cuz most igbos I have met are dishonnest and cheats.thank God for the company o..just imagine

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigerian Army E-recruitment 2013 / Growth & Development Asset Management Limited Graduate & Exp. Job Recruitment / Federal Civil Service Commission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.