Stats: 3,152,095 members, 7,814,842 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:47 PM

Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion (11732 Views)

Terrorists Release 4 Children Kidnapped On Abuja-Kaduna Train / Bandits Release 4 Kidnapped Victims As ‘Sallah Gift’ To Katsina Community / Kebbi Government Releases 111 Prisoners Over Coronavirus (2) (3) (4)

Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by TheRareGem1(f): 3:26pm On Oct 19, 2023
[/b]Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo: We’ll Pay N500m Fine For 4,000 Nigerians To Ensure Their Release From Prison[b]

He also said that the ministry of interior needs to work with other agencies to decongest correctional centres.

Nigeria’s Minister of Interior, Dr. Olubunmi Tunji Ojo, has said, concerning the issue of prison decongestion, that the ministry of Interior is going to pay the fines of over 4,000 inmates- which altogether come to the tune of over five hundred million naira- to ensure their release as they have been in correctional facilities due to their inability to pay fines.

He also said that he has set up an inter-agency committee to ensure that Nigeria’s borders are properly mapped out and adequately protected to ensure the security of the nation.

In an interview with ARISE NEWS on Thursday, the minister discussed the problem of the congestion of correctional centres with ARISE NEWS anchors, where he revealed that he has already set up committees to figure out the reasons for the congestion in Nigeria’s correctional centres and how to reduce the numbers.

Tunji-Ojo said, “Immediately I assumed office, the first thing I did was to set up a small committee to be able to review the situation of our correctional centres, vis-à-vis the inmates as they are, and we discovered that over 4,000 of these inmates, as I’ve said before, are still in custody due to inability to pay fines. We looked at how much they owe, total fine is about total of five hundred and something million, and I can tell you we’ve gone very far dealing with the private sector in terms of CSR and etcetera, putting this money together.

“And I’m sure that in the next three weeks or one month, four weeks maximum, because I like to be held responsible for what I say, so let me say in the next four weeks, even though we are looking at doing it before then, but I’m giving myself a buffer. So, in the next four weeks, by the grace of God, we will have been able to pay those fines of over 4,000 people which will reduce us from the present almost 79,000 inmates to about 75,000 inmates.”

The minister went on to explain that the work of decongesting prisons wasn’t solely the work of the Ministry of Interior, but other agencies as well, saying, “We must also understand that when it comes to decongestion of prison, it’s not an entirely ministry of interior thing. Yes, ministry of interior must play the lead, but obviously we know the office of the Attorney General, Prince Lateef Fagbemi, we have spoken about it, and we are going to work very well together because you cannot just open your gate and say people should go. We must look at setting up that sort of inter-ministerial relationship, which we are already working on to be able to expedite cases based on Administration of Criminal Justice System, ACJS. So, we are already looking in that particular direction.”

He went on to say, “Also, to further decongest, one thing that is within our purview as ministry of interior is to be able to activate what makes our correctional centres correctional centres, which is the non-custodial responsibility of the correctional service. And what is that? It’s obviously to decongest our correctional centres. For instance, I will give you an example, The situation of the correctional service is very worrisome, for instance, in the Lagos command, of all the correctional centres, in total, the correctional centres were built for like 4,800 if I get my statistics right, but today, we have over 9,000 inmates, so that’s over a 100% in Lagos alone. So, it means that we have to look at the short-term solution, activate that part of the law that gives the Nigerian correctional service the powers to engage in non-custodial services. So, those are parts of the things that we are already doing, and yes, a committee is already in place.”

The minister then said that once all these plans are executed, the ministry will be able to reduce the congestion in correctional centres by around 60%-70%.

Tunji-Ojo then mentioned that beyond decongesting the prisons, the ministry of Interior had a major task of securing Nigeria’s borders, saying to this effect, “If you can’t protect your borders, you can’t protect your country.”

Sharing his process on how he will secure the borders of the country, he said, “I have been able to set up a committee now, an inter-agency committee, because it’s not what an agency can do. For instance, I will give you an example, NIMC is very key, and that’s why I’m so grateful to this particular government for bringing NIMC back to interior because I cannot defend who I don’t know. NIMC is the custodian of our identity, NIMC tells me who you are, so, that’s the foundation of our security. It’s the foundation of our internal security.

“So, NIMC’s role in terms of our peaceful coexistence cannot be overestimated. Having said that, what we have been able to do, I called a meeting last week, and I have inaugurated a committee headed by the Director, joint services, in the ministry of Interior, we have the Nigeria Immigration Service, we have the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps, we have the boundary Commission because we need to define our boundaries, you cannot go an defend another man’s land, and your border is where your right stops. So, we brought boundary commission because there are so many issues.”

He further explained, saying, “By the time the committee comes up, we will look at how to use both human intelligence and of course, technology, to be able to, it has to be a cocktail of solutions. One solution cannot secure our border. It has to be a cocktail of approach, both the human intelligence, both the technological issues, and of course, the getting loyalty from these border communities, because if your border communities are not with you, the simple truth is that terrorists will come, hide in those communities, attack, and through their safe passage, they go.

“So we have to look at how to secure all our loopholes, it has to be a wholistic thing. We must now make sure that the solutions we are throwing to problems are not just fire brigade solutions. Let us have a solution that will stand the test of time so that it becomes Nigeria border control policy, it becomes our roadmap, it becomes our route, something we work with. Even if tomorrow, Dr. Tunji-Ojo is no longer minister of interior, we have a framework that will be able to sustain the security of our system.”

https://www.arise.tv/olubunmi-tunji-ojo-well-pay-n500m-fine-for-4000-nigerians-to-ensure-their-release-from-prison/

https://twitter.com/BTOofficial/status/1715010057669124355?t=BbR0txZ6zmO-EWAqYiTIRQ&s=19

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Joyce95: 3:28pm On Oct 19, 2023
People should not finding it difficult accessing their rights.

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Laryy360: 3:28pm On Oct 19, 2023
When you see a great leader, this what comes out of there mouth. Thanks to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for giving Nigeria a good hope renewed.
"Leadership is not a game of excuses rather it's all about results" – Hon Bunmi Tunji-Ojo

39 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Temmy1997(f): 3:29pm On Oct 19, 2023
It was an insightful discussion this morning with Hon Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo. Everything he said was well detailed.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Funmilayo8: 3:30pm On Oct 19, 2023
Isn’t this amazing? To be honest, Hon. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo’s plans to enhance the Nation’s internal security and citizenship integrity as well as the desire to proceed with reforms in our immigration service, such that citizens can be treated with respect and make sure other issues associated with immigration services in general are under control is really commendable!!! Keep up the good work honorable sir...We absolutely appreciate your effort so far.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Ikaeniyan0: 3:32pm On Oct 19, 2023
Shey these guy don forget say most of these prisoners will become the responsibility of the various state governors from 2024? Or is the FG not handing over some of the prisons and prisoners to the state again?

He should spend the #500m on better thing and leave the states to sort out this issue.

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Solape1: 3:34pm On Oct 19, 2023
Before Rufai can stan a politician, then he must have scrutinized him so well. I'm glad they see all you're doing sir, we're fortunate to have you.
God bless BTO
God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria
God bless the president

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Zeesugar(f): 3:35pm On Oct 19, 2023
The minister also said that plans are in place to pay fines for those in correctional centers due to inability to pay for fines

Kudos to the minister

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Oracben: 3:35pm On Oct 19, 2023
The concern of Hon Olubunmi Tunji Ojo about the welfare of the citizens is heart warming, he shows so much concern for the welfare of the citizen.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by CodeTemplar: 3:36pm On Oct 19, 2023
I pray the innocent ones among them are released and hope they have not been 'blended' in those prison.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Christistruth03: 3:36pm On Oct 19, 2023
Finally !

Release non Violent Prisoners for crimes less than 3 years and those that have served more than half their Sentences

This is Good

It is not only Boko Haram that deserves release

If they had done a General Prisoner Amnesty irrespective of Tribe Region or Religion it would have been far better

How can those who stole Clothes, Shoes ,mobile phones , Laptops and Bicycles remain in Jail while Boko Haram mass murderers were set free and given a monthly FG allowance?

And we sing of a Just Nation where Peace and Unity shall reign everyday in the National Anthem

Kilode !

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by kemzy107(f): 3:39pm On Oct 19, 2023
This is commendable from the minister and there will be a breath of fresh air

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by TeeMoney99: 3:40pm On Oct 19, 2023
I admire this Minister, he has brought a new dawn to inmates and their families.

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Yheri: 3:41pm On Oct 19, 2023
Hon. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo's comprehensive approach to addressing prison congestion and securing our borders is indeed a promising step forward. These strategies will not only decongest our correctional centers but also enhance our national security

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by TheCurtainTales: 3:42pm On Oct 19, 2023
This will make our correctional centers stand for what they truly means when they are not over congested. Thank you Dr. Olubunmi, thank you Asiwaju. The Minister is truly representing the administration well.

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Softesst: 3:43pm On Oct 19, 2023
A good step in the right direction 👌

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Lifted2000: 3:43pm On Oct 19, 2023
We need more BTO in the affairs of Nigeria.
The Ministry of Interior under Hon. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo is working without limitations for the success of Nigeria(ns)

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Ava1705: 3:46pm On Oct 19, 2023
Hon Olubunmi Tunji Ojo is the definition of renewed hope agenda!!! Working all round to do things accurately
God bless the President God bless BTO God bless Nigeria

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by DonDaDa234: 3:47pm On Oct 19, 2023
Really proud of BTO

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by obamiyi(m): 3:48pm On Oct 19, 2023
Hon. Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo is so confident and qualified. Justice must prevail for all inmate that deserves it. The Renewed Hope is here... God bless the minister
God bless President Bola Tinubu
God bless Nigeria....🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by amazingspiderma: 3:50pm On Oct 19, 2023
Frankly I don't know which prisoners will be released.

I hope it is not what I am thinking?
Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Janetudeh(f): 3:51pm On Oct 19, 2023
The Minister of Interior sure knows the challenges and how to tackle them. I love a proactive man.

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Ogbonna24: 3:51pm On Oct 19, 2023
Talk and do minister. God bless him

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by OlufunkeBabs: 3:53pm On Oct 19, 2023
Honourable Minister Dr Olubunmi Tunji-Ojo promise Nigerians and he has keep to that promise and will still do more.Thank you my Honourable Minister

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Adelekan40(m): 3:58pm On Oct 19, 2023
This is a good move to decongest the prisons. Kudos to the Federal Government and the ministry of interior.

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by Oluwalosolami: 4:13pm On Oct 19, 2023
This amazing! Who can be more human.

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by RenaissanceGuy: 4:20pm On Oct 19, 2023
This is a very good initiative. There are thousands of people who have spent 20 years in jail who do not have business spending more than 2 years because their offences are very petty. But unfortunately, they're endlessly awaiting trial for decades.

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by kokoA(m): 4:28pm On Oct 19, 2023
This man and Wike are the only ministers working so far. Abeg who be minister of power sef? undecided

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by anungangampu: 4:37pm On Oct 19, 2023
Lol' This thread reeks of Tinubu Media Propaganda Association. Post above are coming from same group of people. Lol' its not hard to detect them.

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by brightsbella(m): 4:41pm On Oct 19, 2023
The visionary minister. Before this man, Interior Ministry was known as a public holiday ministry. Glad it is fully functioning now

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by biFixit(m): 6:03pm On Oct 19, 2023
Nigeria is fast becoming a nation governed by rationality, common sense, justice and equity.

The government of the people, by the people and for the people.

This is people's oriented government.

Re: Olubunmi Tunji Ojo: FG To Release 4,000 Prisoners Over Congestion by 90dbest: 6:11pm On Oct 19, 2023
anungangampu:
Lol' This thread reeks of Tinubu Media Propaganda Association. Post above are coming from same group of people. Lol' its not hard to detect them.
I swear I thought I was the only one that noticed it .Yoruba media propoganda at work. Full of sycophantic praises up there. Nairaland is Tinubu propaganda machine . I spit on it

Abubakar Sodangi is dead! Ex-Nasarawa Senator dies at 70 (Photo) / 2019 Campaign: Osinbajo Thrills Abuja Residents To `next Level’ Song- Vanguard / ISWAP Kidnaps Passengers On Borno Highway