Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,547 members, 7,812,737 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:21 PM

Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders (1852 Views)

CBN Increases Cash Withdrawal Limit To ₦500,000 Weekly / Earn 500 USDT For Free And Withdraw Instantly To Your Wallet(proof Available) / Francis Atuche: Court Freezes ₦19.1 Billion Belonging To Ex-bank PHB MD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by FreeStuffsNG: 12:31am On Oct 26, 2023
Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging to 500 USDT Traders

A Nigerian bank has reportedly blocked bank accounts belonging to some 500 digital asset traders. The affected accounts are said to have received a portion of the more than $10 million that was stolen from Access Bank by hackers between May and June this year. A prominent Nigerian crypto enthusiast and educator has described the alleged freezing of crypto traders’ bank accounts as “a disgrace to Nigeria’s banking infrastructure.”

Stolen Funds Used to Buy USDT
According to reports on social media, Nigeria’s Access Bank is said to be blocking accounts belonging to some 500 USDT traders. The bank is believed to have taken this step after it obtained a court order which enabled it to put a lien on all the crypto traders’ bank accounts.

The bank asserts that the affected traders’ accounts had received part of the funds which were stolen by hackers. As one social media user on X (formerly Twitter) explained, Access Bank is thought to have lost over $10.4 million or 8 billion naira between May and June this year. The user also suggested that the hackers had used part of the funds to buy tether from Binance USDT traders.

Commenting on the reported freezing of accounts, Rume Ophi, the executive secretary of the Stakeholders in Blockchain Technology Association of Nigeria (SIBAN), described the alleged freezing of crypto traders’ bank accounts as “a disgrace to Nigeria’s banking infrastructure.” Ophi, who is also known as the Cryptopreacher, insisted that the move by Access Bank and others is intended to further undermine the Nigerian crypto industry.

Freezing Bank Accounts Is ‘Causing More Harm’

However, in written answers sent to Bitcoin.com, Ophi also offered his thoughts on what Nigerian authorities should do and what they must avoid doing.

“We need thorough investigations to apprehend the criminals, rather than resorting to the indiscriminate freezing of accounts belonging to innocent individuals involved in cryptocurrency transactions. This approach isn’t solving the problem; it’s only causing more harm,” the Cryptopreacher said.

As previously reported by Bitcoin.com News in August 2021, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has in the past forced banks to block accounts of individuals accused of using the banking system to facilitate crypto-related transactions.

Yet, despite the crackdown that saw several accounts belonging to crypto entities being closed in 2021, many digital asset traders seemingly continue to rely on the traditional banking system. This, in turn, has raised questions about banks’ role in enforcing the CBN’s February 2021 directive.

https://news.bitcoin.com/nigerian-bank-reportedly-freezes-accounts-belonging-to-500-usdt-traders/
Mynd44 nlfpmod

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by FreeStuffsNG: 12:31am On Oct 26, 2023
https://twitter.com/instablog9ja/status/1716214652550447147

Bazinga!!! This is huuge!

This is one more reason why when you see someone perpetually blaming and hating on President Bola Tinubu and other Nigerian leaders all the time, be wary of them. Most of them are doing so to justify their crimes and unpatriotic activities. These criminals are your regular people o.

Similar format was used to steal from flutterwave but trust Access Bank with its rugged strategy to give the hackers , internet fraudsters and its recalcitrant debtors full scale wotowoto.

This is an advanced cyber fraud only equally smart and technically advanced nank human resources can execute.

This is highly commendable job by Access Bank and EFCC. I am impressed. Enemies of Nigeria will lose las las. They always lose.
God bless Nigeria for ever!

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by taylor88(m): 12:32am On Oct 26, 2023
As they’re closing fraudsters dollar accounts they should be closing Cocaine dealers accounts too

I know someone who sniffed cocaine and forfeited $460k

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by flokii: 12:34am On Oct 26, 2023
Clampdown will soon start.. enemies of Nigeria won't have peace.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by yarimo(m): 1:10am On Oct 26, 2023
taylor88:
As they’re closing fraudsters dollar accounts they should be closing Cocaine dealers accounts too

I know someone who sniffed cocaine and forfeited $460k
but it will affect 99.9% indigenes of Anambra state

13 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by taylor88(m): 1:18am On Oct 26, 2023
yarimo:
but it will affect 99.9% indigenes of Anambra state

Better attack Anambra people

Because them no born una well to attack PH else we go cut una source of livelihood

Bloody parasites

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Zionmdde: 2:21am On Oct 26, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
https://twitter.com/instablog9ja/status/1716214652550447147

Bazinga!!! This is huuge!

This is one more reason why when you see someone perpetually blaming and hating on President Bola Tinubu and other Nigerian leaders all the time, be wary of them. Most of them are doing so to justify their crimes and unpatriotic activities. These criminals are your regular people o.

Similar format was used to steal from flutterwave but trust Access Bank with its rugged strategy to give the hackers , internet fraudsters and its recalcitrant debtors full scale wotowoto.

This is an advanced cyber fraud only equally smart and technically advanced nank human resources can execute.

This is highly commendable job by Access Bank and EFCC. I am impressed. Enemies of Nigeria will lose las las. They always lose.
God bless Nigeria for ever!
Are you well at all?
Like you must not put yourself in conversations you know nothing about all in the name of politics because you expose your ignorance a lot here.

Let's say Frank is a USDT trader
Frank puts up some USDT for sale
Kelvin buys Frank's USDT with the said stolen funds
The Bank freezes Frank's account. And you are here calling Frank a criminal

Now I have explained It to you like a layman. It's not everything that is politics, almost all those whose account were freezed are just innocent regular traders buying and selling crypto.

Stop exposing your ignorance on what you know nothing about. I can even see one idiot calling anambra people, it's always tribalism for some idiots

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by FreeStuffsNG: 2:52am On Oct 26, 2023
Zionmdde:

Are you well at all?
Like you must not put yourself in conversations you know nothing about all in the name of politics because you expose your ignorance a lot here.

Now I have explained It to you like a layman. It's not everything that is politics, almost all those whose account were freezed are just innocent regular traders buying and selling crypto.

Stop exposing your ignorance on what you know nothing about. I can even see one idiot calling anambra people, it's always tribalism for some idiots

Calm down you uncouth fellow. Just save all this your shalaye for the courts and EFCC since you don't understand that when issues are in court like this, only the guilty are scared.

The Bank is working on the trail first to prevent the stolen funds from being dissipated and those who are part of the heist know themselves and the bank knows them too no matter how you try to give a sweeping blanket cover for perpetrators. The money doesn't belong to the bank, they are depositors money kept in trust with the bank.

Those who stole the money chose that criminal route to launder the money for this same excuse you are stating like their spokesperson but the banks, EFCC, CBN and the court are not stupid. They knew that you will come up with this but trust me, they will get their money back, every kobo.

Except Access bank retrieves every kobo of the N8 billion, this kind of heist will not stop. It happened with flutterwave and they were blackmailed from doing what Access Bank is doing. Access Bank will not fall for that fraudulent strategy. All the banks are now on red alert just like Access Bank.

Mr Frank and the one that's not Frank will go and shalaye in court and EFCC office. I speak to the ones who are guilty and except you are one of them, you need not get upset nah. Every innocent person will use all legitimate means to recover his or her money.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by sulakishop(m): 3:07am On Oct 26, 2023
The cashout is huge
Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Zionmdde: 3:37am On Oct 26, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Calm down you uncouth fellow. Just save all this your shalaye for the courts and EFCC since you don't understand that when issues are in court like this, only the guilty are scared.

The Bank is working on the trail first to prevent the stolen funds from being dissipated and those who are part of the heist know themselves and the bank knows them too no matter how you try to give a sweeping blanket cover for perpetrators. The money doesn't belong to the bank, they are depositors money kept in trust with the bank.

Those who stole the money chose that criminal route to launder the money for this same excuse you are stating like their spokesperson but the banks, EFCC, CBN and the court are not stupid. They knew that you will come up with this but trust me, they will get their money back, every kobo.

Except Access bank retrieves every kobo of the N8 billion, this kind of heist will not stop. It happened with flutterwave and they were blackmailed from doing what Access Bank is doing. Access Bank will not fall for that fraudulent strategy. All the banks are now on red alert just like Access Bank.

Mr Frank and the one that's not Frank will go and shalaye in court and EFCC office. I speak to the ones who are guilty and except you are one of them, you need not get upset nah. Every innocent person will use all legitimate means to recover his or her money.
You are obviously not well
You are most likely a jobless fellow because if you know anything about buying and selling you will know that a person whose goods were purchased with stolen funds is just an innocent victim
But alas am not surprised. You will hardly see any apc follower that have anything in their brains aside stupidity and zombeistic tendencies

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by DesChyko: 4:01am On Oct 26, 2023
What I am more interested in is how they managed to track the purchases to 500 USDT accounts.

I know that crypto purchases are not like transferring funds from a bank app.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by CrusaderX: 4:06am On Oct 26, 2023
Na wa! Weytin concern crypto trader and bank theft? It's like saying somebody thief money con carry am go buy food or mobile phone, later now, them carry police go arrest the seller(s), as per say he or she sell their market. Make the bank go find who thief their money and leave business people alone. Even the bank sef, their accounts contain stolen funds.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by mytime24(f): 6:17am On Oct 26, 2023
Jaga jaga 🌽 🌳 🌲
Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Pakute: 6:20am On Oct 26, 2023
Zionmdde:

Are you well at all?

But na people like you dey call Tinubu druggie, even when na the same exact situation happen to am. Now, una don see how e dey be.
Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Ikaeniyan0: 6:26am On Oct 26, 2023
Zionmdde:

You are obviously not well
You are most likely a jobless fellow because if you know anything about buying and selling you will know that a person whose goods were purchased with stolen funds is just an innocent victim
But alas am not surprised. You will hardly see any apc follower that have anything in their brains aside stupidity and zombeistic tendencies
They must provide the people who buy usdt from them with stolen money.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Ikaeniyan0: 6:27am On Oct 26, 2023
CrusaderX:
Na wa! Weytin concern crypto trader and bank theft? It's like saying somebody thief money con carry am go buy food or mobile phone, later now, them carry police go arrests the seller(s), as per say he or she sell their market. Make the bank go find who thief their money and leave business people alone. Even the bank sef, their accounts contain stolen funds.
You better be careful with the kind of people you do business with.
Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Zionmdde: 6:33am On Oct 26, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
See another apc supporter, identifying them is very simple. By their stupidity we shall know them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by benuejosh: 6:35am On Oct 26, 2023
Interesting times ahead.
Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Nonny95: 6:35am On Oct 26, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:

You're a little kid

See comment.
Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Zionmdde: 6:36am On Oct 26, 2023
Pakute:

But na people like you dey call Tinubu druggie, even when na the same exact situation happen to am. Now, una don see how e dey be.
Point out where I have ever called tinubu a druggie and win some cool cash

Unfortunately u don't even know that SW has much more crypto traders than any other region. So most of the victims will likely be your brothers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Nonny95: 6:37am On Oct 26, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:

Looted funds are also housed in and laundered through banks.

So shurrup
Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Brendaniel: 6:46am On Oct 26, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:

Ikaeniyan0:

You obviously do not know how crypto and FX trading works, the system is designed to keep the identity of both buyer and seller private to a large extent, in FX you don't even know who, where and how the person is buying or selling to you.

You guys just come out and talk anyhow just to defend rubbish in the name of politics...
Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by CrusaderX: 6:50am On Oct 26, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
How una dey reason sef? So as I dey do my business, I go dey ask every buyer whether na stolen funds them wan use take buy.
Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Ikaeniyan0: 6:54am On Oct 26, 2023
Brendaniel:

You obviously do not know how crypto and FX trading works, the system is designed to keep the identity of both buyer and seller private to a large extent, in FX you don't even know who, where and how the person is buying or selling to you.

You guys just come out and talk anyhow just to defend rubbish in the name of politics...
Their money is gone if they can't produce the buyers, you will see.

They are not suppose to use their bank account to facilitate crypto-related transactions. Such transactions has been banned in Nigeria since 2021.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Ikaeniyan0: 6:55am On Oct 26, 2023
CrusaderX:
How una dey reason sef? So as I dey do my business, I go dey ask every buyer whether na stolen funds them wan use take buy.
They are not suppose to use their bank account to facilitate crypto-related transactions. Such transactions has been banned in Nigeria since 2021.

If you also partake in this kind of transactions, your account will be flag and you will get in trouble.

They will forfeit their money if they can't produce the buyer.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Ikaeniyan0: 6:56am On Oct 26, 2023
Nonny95:

Looted funds are also housed in and laundered through banks.

So shurrup

This is the problem with some of you, instead of you to focus on the topic at hand, you're saying rubbish.

I won't be shock if you're one of the people who has been calling the president a drug dealer because his account was used for this kind of transactions in Chicago.
Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Brendaniel: 6:59am On Oct 26, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
Their money is gone if they can't produce the buyers, you will see.

They cannot produce the person, except the platform they used does that for them, like I said you don't know how the system works, so don't talk about what you know little or nothing about.....
Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Pakute: 7:01am On Oct 26, 2023
Zionmdde:

Point out where I have ever called tinubu a druggie and win some cool cash

Unfortunately u don't even know that SW has much more crypto traders than any other region. So most of the victims will likely be your brothers

No wahala, i just dey compare Tinubu and these Crypto traders, people fit carry potopoto pour for your body.
Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Ikaeniyan0: 7:02am On Oct 26, 2023
Brendaniel:

They cannot produce the person, except the platform they used does that for them, like I said you don't know how the system works, so don't talk about what you know little or nothing about.....
How the platform works does not matter in this issue.

They are not suppose to use their bank account to facilitate crypto-related transactions.

Is either they produce the buyers or they forfeit their money.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Brendaniel: 7:11am On Oct 26, 2023
Ikaeniyan0:
How the platform works does not matter in this issue.

They are not suppose to use their bank account to facilitate crypto-related transactions.

Is either they produce the buyers or they forfeit their money.

I will not argue further with you, This is the same mentality Nigerian police use to arrest shop owners when someone uses stolen money to buy goods from their shop..

I'm not surprised you are a Tinubu supporter
Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Ikaeniyan0: 7:11am On Oct 26, 2023
Nonny95:

You're a little kid

See comment.
You're the little boy that should pray you don't find yourself in this kind of mess dumbo

Facilitating crypto related transaction with one bank account has been banned since 2021 by the CBN.

If they can't produce the buyers, they will all forfeit their money.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Bank Reportedly Freezes Accounts Belonging To 500 USDT Traders by Ikaeniyan0: 7:14am On Oct 26, 2023
Brendaniel:

I will not argue further with you, This is the same mentality Nigerian police use to arrest shop owners when someone uses stolen money to buy goods from their shop..

I'm not surprised you are a Tinubu supporter
You're the one that's not making sense.

Like I said before, facilitating crypto related transaction with Nigeria bank account has been banned since 2021 by the CBN.

If they can't produce the buyers, their money is gone.

Well, I know IPOBdients like you, una no like to dey face reality.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Needs To Be Done To Start A Wedding Decor Company / I Need Help On How To Get DPR Certification / Today I Want To Say A Big Thank You To Mr. Oluwaseun Osewa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.