Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,868 members, 7,828,089 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 12:07 AM

Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? (8871 Views)

How God Dealt With Billionaires Who Queried Me Over Their Tithe – Pastor Adeboye / Should Pastors Be The Main Cause Of My Not Going To Church?? / Should Pastors Who Commit Adultery Be Permanently Banned From Pastoring? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by ogascomax: 1:09pm On Oct 29, 2023
Yes they most pay also. Everyone should pay as long as you are a Christian.
The kind of priesthood we have now is different from what we have then. The Levi at that time were instructed by God not to take an inheritance. God said that I will be your inheritance. Another words, their blessings and prosperity was directly tired to God. Then God instructed the rest tribes to bring some certain items to the Levi. The priesthood continue in the New testament but with different module and different mandate.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by budaatum: 1:21pm On Oct 29, 2023
fuckJones:
Tithes and offering are gifts given to God.

Seriously? I guess that's why there's a list of the wealthiest Gods.

Does your God spend your tithes and offerings in heaven to pay for electricity and buy a big house and petrol his Benz and invest some to be richer too, I wonder.

Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by DeOTR: 1:36pm On Oct 29, 2023
Indelibleage:
God bless the reader to the end.

There are tithes and there are offerings commanded by God in the scriptures to be given or paid into the sanctuary. Since the questionnaire asked about tithe, let me say this:

How much is what they called tithe? Tenth part! Supposing one earns a thousand naira a day, the tenth part is a paltry sum of an hundred naira while the remaining nine hundred naira belongs to the tither. If the person worked for let's say 22 days in a month exclusive of Saturday and Sunday, his total take home for those number of days would be 24, 000 naira. Guess what, the amount he's to give is just 2,400 naira.

What then is the tithe given used for? Some pastors and founders of churches are not working (originally they shouldn't work). Since they are consecrating everything they should have given to a secular work into the work of God, one wouldn't expect God to come down and bring currencies of the nation where the church is resident to the pastor to take care of his needs. Remember people (congregants) had been asked to bring their tithes to the sanctuary. The pastor of that sanctuary is the representative of God (mind you, not His assistant or deputy), He has mandated him to collect it on His behalf. Out of it, the pastor will take care of the sanctuary if the cares are minor. Those assisting the pastor in one area for effective delivery of God's mind to the congregants also would need be taken care of. This includes transportation, calls, repairs, fuelling of generating sets and many others. The pastor too is a human that has a family and children. Out of the tithes collected, he's to eat since he's not engaged by any other.

From the account of Hebrews 7:4, 5 (Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils. And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham), we can see the narrative.

On the question whether the pastor is to pay tithes and his family, hear this. None is exempted from paying tithe to God. Why? As citizens of this country, we're all expected to pay tax even if you're the president (although some do defraud the nation). If Levi who was asked to collect tithes later on also paid tithe why won't the present day and his family pay it? Supposing the said pastor is engaged with other secular activities and he earns a living with it and the pastoral work is just on a part time basis, he too would pay tithe. His family members are to pay too.

Conclusively, if we look at what God requires in tithes giving, we will discover that the amount is too insignificant to defray from. God just want to see how grateful we are to all He does for us daily. How much do we pay for being alive to Him? How about the freedom we have, victories and many other things God is giving us daily? The air we breathe in and out daily, if I'm correct, to get oxygen in the hospital today, one will pay about 35k per day or so. This was freely given.

So, if we pay tithes, we get more blessings and enjoy more of God. If we don't pay, we enjoy but the day it will count or be required from us, it will be too heavy to pay o. Let's pay so that those whose survival is linked to it would also have a reason to thank God.

God bless everyone that read this and a happy Sunday.
Refrain from lying please.
Even Apostles of Christ have their own professions apart from being Ministers of God.
I believe you've read it that Paul made it clear to a church that he's a tent maker?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by LordFA: 1:49pm On Oct 29, 2023
AntiChristian:

What if it exists?

Or what evidence does he has that made him said heaven and hell does not exist.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Hotice085: 1:51pm On Oct 29, 2023
fuckJones:
Tithes and offering are gifts given to God. Thus the tithes and offerings are a reflection of one’s love for God and is given freely.

The Apostle Paul writes, “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.” (II Cor. 9:7–cool.

So in my opinion, “Are you suppose to pay tithes to your own church if you’re the pastor?”

Any pastor collecting tithe is a 419
Any member paying tithe is a mugu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by integrity16(m): 2:11pm On Oct 29, 2023
A resounding Yes!
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by MikeMicheal(m): 2:28pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lekan239:
no. The money will move from his normal acc to his biz acc
Hahahaha! "his". grin
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by bixton(m): 2:30pm On Oct 29, 2023
fuckJones:
Tithes and offering are gifts given to God. Thus the tithes and offerings are a reflection of one’s love for God and is given freely.

The Apostle Paul writes, “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.” (II Cor. 9:7–cool.

So in my opinion, “Are you suppose to pay tithes to your own church if you’re the pastor?”

The above you quoted is not in relation to Tithe giving but with respect to offering submission.

Nevertheless, there are categories of Pastor(s), kindly permit. One are those who are the General Overseers of the Ministry the Lord gave them and there are those who are Pastors who are shepherds of the local church assembly within any Ministry.

Now the General Overseers are supposed to pay Tithes and also pay Tithes of Tithes....... depending on how each one understands the Scripture and his work with God and i believe they also know whom/where to give the Tithe just as Abraham knew whom to give his Tithe.
All other Pastors working within any particular ministry pay their Tithes to their respective churches. I think if not all ministries , they deduct the tithes from the amounts given to the Resident Pastors before payment (allowances/wages) depends on what name ia given to it.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Funflipper: 3:01pm On Oct 29, 2023
BigDawsNet:
Yea pastors pay tithe too

Yeah right! They pay tithe to themselves because the church is the pastor's business venture.

1 Like

Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by BigDawsNet: 3:54pm On Oct 29, 2023
Funflipper:

Yeah right! They pay tithe to themselves because the church is the pastor's business venture.

They pay to other churches
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by AntiChristian: 4:26pm On Oct 29, 2023
LordFA:

Or what evidence does he has that made him said heaven and hell does not exist.

He may say we should provide evidence!
But faith is not usually science!
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by ejimatic: 4:32pm On Oct 29, 2023
fuckJones:

. No where in the Bible is the tithe compulsory for chritians.!

It is voluntary for chrstians . A christian can even pay more than tenth.

As for the Isrealites it was compulsory to pay tithes. Priests and other working in the temple also made contributions to the house of God .
However the Mosaic Law did not make it compulsory for them to pay thithe.The tithe was used for their upkeeps and maintenance!
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by shineeye1: 4:42pm On Oct 29, 2023
Terrible ideas about tithe! How come christians of this age reject every LAW of the old testament except the LAW of tithe? Neither Christ nor any of his apostles left us with any LAW about tithing in the New testament yet your pastor of today has convinced you that you are cursed without tithing. You must be very daft.
Starting from Christ up to the last of his apostles, they only preached bountiful giving among the faithfuls, admonishing that whoever giveth sparingly shall receive scantily. Indeed, the Faith and conviction of the early faithfuls was so great that most of them gave EVERYTHING! The big question is WHAT WAS THEIR GIVING USED FOR!!! The giving of the new testament as exemplified by the original faithfuls was for WELFARE OF THE BRETHREN and not for any fancy funny PRIEST as your thieving pastors of today want you to believe. How daft can you be!!! Did you not read that every believer of the new testament is a Priest and a King? True believers are a royal priesthood with only CHRIST as the HIGH PRIEST.
To your misguided question - every pastor is supposed to work hard and be a contributor to a general purse which is meant to cater for the NEED and welfare of fellow faithfuls who are challenged in one form or the other. You are a generation of thieves who have turned the house of God to a market and used the name and word of God for criminal self aggrandizement. You will all be judged!!!

1 Like

Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Abemy(m): 5:14pm On Oct 29, 2023
Some texts in the bible were specifically restricted to the people of Israel. If anything was to include the entire world, it is mentioned, tithe therefore, is not meant for all christians, but for the Israelites.

Thank you.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Shawl001(m): 5:30pm On Oct 29, 2023
Of course, they have too.
Tithing is not for "some people".
Its for every believer, who has a relationship with God.

The Pastor will prosper by his own giving...not what he's given.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Georgejeez: 5:33pm On Oct 29, 2023
When it comes to tithe they remember Malachi in Old Testament but when it comes to Polygamy they exclude Old Testament and dwell only on New Testament .

Justice for Old Testament.

1 Like

Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by shineeye1: 5:37pm On Oct 29, 2023
Georgejeez:
When it comes to tithe they remember Malachi in Old Testament but when it comes to Polygamy they exclude Old Testament and dwell only on New Testament .

Justice for Old Testament.

As for polygamy, you are free to exercise if fuel subsidy is yet to preach to you.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 5:40pm On Oct 29, 2023
geoworldedu:
No. It's like asking if a scammer should scam himself.
How did a pastor become a scammer please?
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 5:43pm On Oct 29, 2023
Tithe is godly, and everyone must give tithes as commanded by God. Pastors and church leaders inclusive.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Mayeldah(m): 5:46pm On Oct 29, 2023
I am a Christian, I don't believe in tithing and I don't tithe anymore.

I am doing fine and things are not tight for me. I give to the needy and other church needs. I bless my Pastor as I am led.

Don't let anyone deceive you, you are not robbing God or anybody if you don't tithe.

Pay your offerings, support God's work but don't let anyone decide for you how to spend your income
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by BluntCrazeMan: 5:48pm On Oct 29, 2023
Yess naa..

That makes for accountability, transparency, and responsibility.

It's like asking whether the “Chairman and Financial-Secretary” of an organisation should be paying the dues of an organisation.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by geoworldedu: 5:49pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:

How did a pastor become a scammer please?
So you don't know. You don't know the latest meaning of pastor. It's a title that shouldn't be known with any responsible being. After the names ritualist and terrorists, pastors come next.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Godsownfc(m): 5:50pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:
Tithe is godly, and everyone must give tithes as commanded by God. Pastors and church leaders inclusive.
Broski, not everyone. Giving of tithe is an old thing and we are no longer under any obligation to pay tithes.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 5:54pm On Oct 29, 2023
geoworldedu:
So you don't know. You don't know the latest meaning of pastor. It's a title that shouldn't be known with any responsible being. After the names ritualist and terrorists, pastors come next.
This is absolutely demeaning to call them after this people. Have you ever had an experience with one where you're scammed? I understand not all pastors that are clean this days as some are fake but why generalizing?
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 5:56pm On Oct 29, 2023
Godsownfc:

Broski, not everyone. Giving of tithe is an old thing and we are no longer under any obligation to pay tithes.
Who brainwashed you that it's an old thing? Is that part of giving tithe no longer found in the bible? SMH
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Godsownfc(m): 5:58pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:

Who brainwashed you that it's an old thing? Is that part of giving tithe no longer found in the bible? SMH
I guessed you have been brainwashed instead. What's the importance of tithe in this contemporary time. You need to wise up. I don't mean you should not give or support church projects.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 6:01pm On Oct 29, 2023
Godsownfc:

I guessed you have been brainwashed instead. What's the importance of tithe in this contemporary time. You need to wise up. I don't mean you should not give or support church projects.
MALACHI 3:10 (New International Version):
"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it".
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Godsownfc(m): 6:04pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:

MALACHI 3:10 (New International Version):
"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it".
And so?? I said this is an old thing and CHRISTIANS are no longer under any old law to pay tithes as in the old testament. Jesus came to the world and he said 'its finished '
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 6:07pm On Oct 29, 2023
Godsownfc:

And so?? I said this is an old thing and CHRISTIANS are no longer under any old law to pay tithes as in the old testament. Jesus came to the world and he said 'its finished '
Tithing is an Old Testament concept. YES. The tithe was a requirement of the Law in which the Israelites were to give 10 percent of the crops they grew and the livestock they raised to the tabernacle/temple
- see Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5.
In fact, the Old Testament Law required multiple tithes—one for the Levites, one for the use of the temple and the feasts, and one for the poor of the land—which would have pushed the total to around 23.3 percent.
Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites in the sacrificial system.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 6:10pm On Oct 29, 2023
ejimatic:
. No where in the Bible is the tithe compulsory for chritians.!

It is voluntary for chrstians . A christian can even pay more than tenth.

As for the Isrealites it was compulsory to pay tithes. Priests and other working in the temple also made contributions to the house of God .
However the Mosaic Law did not make it compulsory for them to pay thithe.The tithe was used for their upkeeps and maintenance!
They pay tithes too. Tithes were awarded to the Levites for their priestly service because they would not receive land in Canaan see: Num 18:19-21.
They, too, gave a tenth of what they received (v. 26).
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Godsownfc(m): 6:13pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. YES. The tithe was a requirement of the Law in which the Israelites were to give 10 percent of the crops they grew and the livestock they raised to the tabernacle/temple
In fact, the Old Testament Law required multiple tithes—one for the Levites, one for the use of the temple and the feasts, and one for the poor of the land—which would have pushed the total to around 23.3 percent.
Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites in the sacrificial system.
The modern practice of church tithing is not supported by the teachings of scripture.
Church tithing began in the late nineteenth century when a Wesleyan Church in Cincinnati hosted multiple fund-raising events to erase its enormous debt.Fledgling on the brink of bankruptcy and devoid of options, a layman came up with the idea of, “storehouse tithing.”
It was an instant success and soon the news spread like wildfire throughout Christendom and the practice of storehouse tithing caught on.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Godsownfc(m): 6:15pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:

At the time, it seemed the answer to the debts and financial woes of churches whose church members gave indiscriminately. Today storehouse tithing is a deep-rooted tradition that is promoted on a regular basis by clergy men that misuse the context of Malachi 3:8-11.
Pastors insist that every church member is obliged (as a matter of righteousness) to pay 10% of his or her gross income.
In addition to the tithe that church members give, most churches teach that a, “freewill offering,” over and above the 10% tithe should be given to again to the church or any charitable cause, with the stipulation that his or her “local church” is always to receive the “tithe.”

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Crazy Stuff From The Bible / Contra Bibliolatreia II -the Septuagint / Indians Are Throwing their Idols Inside River For Not Saving India From Covid-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.