Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,810 members, 7,827,982 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? (8870 Views)

How God Dealt With Billionaires Who Queried Me Over Their Tithe – Pastor Adeboye / Should Pastors Be The Main Cause Of My Not Going To Church?? / Should Pastors Who Commit Adultery Be Permanently Banned From Pastoring? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Godsownfc(m): 6:17pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. YES. The tithe was a requirement of the Law in which the Israelites were to give 10 percent of the crops they grew and the livestock they raised to the tabernacle/temple
- see Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5.
In fact, the Old Testament Law required multiple tithes—one for the Levites, one for the use of the temple and the feasts, and one for the poor of the land—which would have pushed the total to around 23.3 percent.
Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites in the sacrificial system.
The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends, that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. The New Testament nowhere designates a percentage of income a person should set aside, but only says gifts should be “in keeping with income”. 1 Corinthians 16:2. Some in the Christian church have taken the 10 percent figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 6:24pm On Oct 29, 2023
Godsownfc you probably think you are very well informed and knowledgeable right now, but God might punish you for this; trying to convince people from performing their divine obligation. This makes you an accessory to their sin should they heed your advice. Because something was not mentioned in the New testament does not makes it absurd or abolished. In case you have forgotten, Jesus Christ emphatically said he did not come to abolish the law but to fulfil it. New or old testament, it's the same God. In fact, you might not have noticed, God in return, bless people more when they pay their tithes sincerely - it's a divine assurance! (10% or 100%, everything belongs to God)
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 6:33pm On Oct 29, 2023
Godsownfc:

The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends, that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. The New Testament nowhere designates a percentage of income a person should set aside, but only says gifts should be “in keeping with income”. 1 Corinthians 16:2. Some in the Christian church have taken the 10 percent figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving.
Below is a verse in the new testament highlighted where Jesus acknowledges the importance of tithing.
If you don't want to tithe no one is forcing you but leave others that want to do so after all its their money and not yours.
Matthew 23:23
Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Godsownfc(m): 6:35pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:

Below is a verse in the new testament highlighted where Jesus acknowledges the importance of tithing.
If you don't want to tithe no one is forcing you but leave others that want to do so after all its their money and not yours.
Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former.
LOL.
Read that passage again!
It isn't endorsing tithing.
It's actually condemning a group for tithing and then failing to do important things!
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Godsownfc(m): 6:36pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:

Matthew 23:23 is clear:
1. It says the pharisees could tithe. Under the law of Moses and the Levitical Priesthood which was still in effect, they were supposed to tithe. But the levitical priesthood ended when Jesus died on the cross. That is why there was no record of tithing with the church in the acts of the apostles or the epistles
2. It says tithing was a lesser matter even in the law and was not as important as justice, mercy, and faith. Today, tithing has been elevated to one of the most important things in Christianity
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by geoworldedu: 6:38pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:

This is absolutely demeaning to call them after this people. Have you ever had an experience with one where you're scammed? I understand not all pastors that are clean this days as some are fake but why generalizing?
Firstly, for anyone to support a sham and a skim like religion when it's so glaring that it's the greatest lie ever concocted, it shows that such person is capable of hypocrisy and living a pretentious life. Then going further to champion the cause of a religion and going to the extent of setting one up, collecting contributions in form of tithes and offering all based on the falsehood of religion is the total scam. It's same as running a Ponzi scheme.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 6:38pm On Oct 29, 2023
Godsownfc:

LOL.
Read that passage again!
It's actually condemning a group for tithing and then failing to do important things!
It's not my fault that you cannot comprehend what Jesus said in the last sentence even after reading it.... and it is not my job to convince you otherwise. If you choose not to pay tithe how does that affect me.
If I choose to pay how does it affect you?
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by ejimatic: 6:38pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:

They pay tithes too. Tithes were awarded to the Levites for their priestly service because they would not receive land in Canaan see: Num 18:19-21.
They, too, gave a tenth of what they received (v. 26).
. The Levites used the tenth to for their upkeeps The also contributed from it as tenth.

You are right !

However no chrittian is under any compulsion today to pay tithes. 2 Cor 9vrs 7
God loves cheerful givers
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 6:41pm On Oct 29, 2023
Godsownfc:

Matthew 23:23 is clear:
1. It says the pharisees could tithe. Under the law of Moses and the Levitical Priesthood which was still in effect, they were supposed to tithe. But the levitical priesthood ended when Jesus died on the cross. That is why there was no record of tithing with the church in the acts of the apostles or the epistles
2. It says tithing was a lesser matter even in the law and was not as important as justice, mercy, and faith. Today, tithing has been elevated to one of the most important things in Christianity
It says tithing was a lesser even in the law, does that mean it has been abolished? Though it is has been elevated to one of the most important things in christianity but it still has to do with individual decision.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 6:48pm On Oct 29, 2023
geoworldedu:
Firstly, for anyone to support a sham and a skim like religion when it's so glaring that it's the greatest lie ever concocted, it shows that such person is capable of hypocrisy and living a pretentious life. Then going further to champion the cause of a religion and going to the extent of setting one up, collecting contributions in form of tithes and offering all based on the falsehood of religion is the total scam. It's same as running a Ponzi scheme.
Do you have evidence to support that religion is a sham and a lie? And do you have idea that the offerings and tithes most churches received are not going into the pastor's pocket but church account? And even the pastor cannot touch them for they are under the care of a committee which comprises of church members. The pastor is only entitled to a salary paid by the church and or gifts from members!!
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 6:50pm On Oct 29, 2023
ejimatic:
. The Levites used the tenth to for their upkeeps The also contributed from it as tenth.

You are right !

However no chrittian is under any compulsion today to pay tithes. 2 Cor 9vrs 7
God loves cheerful givers
Yes God loves cheerful givers but remember Jesus said he has not come to abolish the law..
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by geoworldedu: 6:54pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:

Do you have evidence to support that religion is a sham and a lie? And do you have idea that the offerings and tithes most churches received are not going into the pastor's pocket but church account? And even the pastor cannot touch them for they are under the care of a committee which comprises of church members. The pastor is only entitled to a salary paid by the church and or gifts from members!!
Yes, but unfortunately there is no way you can see my evidences. Only if we are together or if we use a pastor we both know physically as an evidence. But since there is no way we can achieve this, you just have to let us who see pastors as scammers continue in what we believe, while you keep believing that they are working for a god somewhere in the sky. Pastors are thieves and it is more than a personal opinion. It's what millions of people worldwide know and say.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 6:54pm On Oct 29, 2023
Godsownfc:

LOL.
Read that passage again!
That bible quotation is why I have refrained from unecessary arguments that won't further the gospel.. Christ in that passage made it clear that inasmuch as there are more important things a Christian should do,the other 'less' important ones shouldn't be neglected either..that passage made it crystal clear..from the mouth of the divine high priest himself..that passage puts this thread to rest..
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 6:56pm On Oct 29, 2023
Godsownfc:

LOL.
Read that passage again!
Technically,it says all laws need to be followed. Lesser or no lesser. It is called hypocrisy to practice one without the other.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 7:02pm On Oct 29, 2023
geoworldedu:

Yes, but unfortunately there is no way you can see my evidences. Only if we are together or if we use a pastor we both know physically as an evidence. But since there is no way we can achieve this, you just have to let us who see pastors as scammers continue in what we believe, while you keep believing that they are working for a god somewhere in the sky. Pastors are thieves and it is more than a personal opinion. It's what millions of people worldwide know and say.
But does that makes you to also follow a popular opinion? What if they are wrong. God gave all of us the ability to think and the freewill to search for the truth. Do you even believe God exists at all angry Well, there are so many true men of God out there who are called by God himself. Only the ones with spiritual minds and eyes can know and see. Though I admit we also have fake pastors out there.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by ejimatic: 7:02pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:

Yes God loves cheerful givers but remember Jesus said he has not come to abolish the law..
With his death (Jesus Death ) the Law (Mosaic Law) Wes ended. Roman 10 vrs 4.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 7:05pm On Oct 29, 2023
ejimatic:
With his death (Jesus Death ) the Law (Mosaic Law) Wes ended. Roman 10 vrs 4.
So that means all the laws in the old testament should be totally discarded or the old testament is no longer part of the holy book
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Godsownfc(m): 7:07pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:

Technically,it says all laws need to be followed. Lesser or no lesser. It is called hypocrisy to practice one without the other.
Well put then, I suggest you read the entire Old Testament too and then do OBEY ALL THE LAWS there, come back to this thread, and receive an award for that!
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Godsownfc(m): 7:09pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:

It says tithing was a lesser even in the law, does that mean it has been abolished? Though it is has been elevated to one of the most important things in christianity but it still has to do with individual decision.
Again, I will repeat:
The verse does not say you or every Christian should tithe. It wasnt an instruction or command to go and tithe. He was reprimanding the pharisees for paying tithes while they ignored more important things. As at the time Jesus said it, tithing was still in effect in Isreal. The Jews were expected to tithe under the levitical preisthood. I think that should be clear enough
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by ejimatic: 7:14pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:

So that means all the laws in the old testament should be totally discarded or the old testament is no longer part of the holy book
it is the principles of the law that apply now not the code in verbatim.

For example Exodus 20 vrs 15 You must not steal. The law
Principle: Ephesians 4 vrs 28. Whoever steals should steal no more....

In fact christians in the past donated from the hearts not tithe method .
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 7:16pm On Oct 29, 2023
Godsownfc:

Again, I will repeat:
The verse does not say you or every Christian should tithe. It wasnt an instruction or command to go and tithe. He was reprimanding the pharisees for paying tithes while they ignored more important things. As at the time Jesus said it, tithing was still in effect in Isreal. The Jews were expected to tithe under the levitical preisthood. I think that should be clear enough
And it didn't say we shouldn't tithe either...Christ and his apostles taught us that we should give our all, that we should share our belongings with the needy, the widows,the inmates, the sick...that was how the early Christians acted..they sold their stuffs,brought it together in their meetings and shared among each other...since you say tithing shouldn't be done,how many times have YOU kept to the examples of Christ and his followers in the new testament?
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 7:21pm On Oct 29, 2023
ejimatic:
it is the principles of the law that apply now not the code in verbatim.

For example Exodus 20 vrs 15 You must not steal. The law
Principle: Ephesians 4 vrs 28. Whoever steals should steal no more....

In fact christians in the past donated from the hearts not tithe method .
Yes, but tithes is not to be forced on anyone either. Just that it's God's command.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Josywhyte: 7:27pm On Oct 29, 2023
If a member can pay tithe why can't the pastor of the said church pay his tithe too? Him no be human like us?
N/B: tithe is not a criteria to make heaven
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 8:03pm On Oct 29, 2023
Godsownfc:

Well put then, I suggest you read the entire Old Testament too and then do OBEY ALL THE LAWS there, come back to this thread, and receive an award for that!
Lol! No need to read all the old Testament for laws to obey! All one need to do is to just read mark 12 vs 30:31 and if one can obey,heavenly award is so sure, yours is worthless.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Lingudy(m): 8:11pm On Oct 29, 2023
Godsownfc The conclusion of the matter is that...
Pay your tithe always and leave the rest to God.
Are you not not quick to say "Abraham blessings are mine" but we don't want to pay the sacrifice...
Ask the holy spirit to reveal the mind of God to you in paying tithe...
Be a broken christian...
Give always... remember, giving is different from paying tithe.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by ejimatic: 9:27pm On Oct 29, 2023
Lingudy:

Yes, but tithes is not to be forced on anyone either. Just that it's God's command.
Good ! We should not force tithe on anybody
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Vision101(m): 12:43am On Oct 30, 2023
Direct answer: I'm a pastor and I pay tithe. I even pay tithe on gifts. My wife pays her tithe and my children pay their tithe on their income.

Tithe is a faith issue. If you believe it, it will work for you. Case closed.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Nobody: 4:49am On Oct 30, 2023
Bluezy13:
As a pastor or not; are you supposed to pay tithe at all

Anyways, though I am an unbeliever of your storybook, yet I will help you.

Hebrews 7:5–9
NIV

5 "Now the law requires the descendants of Levi who become priests to collect a tenth from the people—that is, from their fellow Israelites —even though they also are descended from Abraham."
6 "This man, however, did not trace his descent from Levi, yet he collected a tenth from Abraham and blessedn him who had the promises."
7 "And without doubt the lesser is blessed by the greater."
8 "In the one case, the tenth is collected by people who die; but in the other case, by him who is declared to be living."
9 "One might even say that Levi, who collects the tenth, paid the tenth through Abraham"

Take note of the highlighted, verse 9 in particular.
Funny thing is, Israel was created by the British on the 14th day of May 1948 even though the storybook narratives points towards the year 1250 bce as the year the Israelites entered the promised land.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Odidigboigbo(m): 8:08am On Oct 30, 2023
Bluezy13:

Don't confuse tithing with giving alms.
They mean different things.
And don't preach to me about giving, leave my believe to me.
Read my post carefully before replying. I neither in support nor against Tithing but for generally giving based on your religion believes and conviction
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Bluezy13(m): 8:14am On Oct 30, 2023
Odidigboigbo:
Read my post carefully before replying. I neither in support nor against Tithing but for generally giving based on your religion believes and conviction

But I already mentioned in my initial post that I was not a believer.
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Odidigboigbo(m): 8:21am On Oct 30, 2023
Bluezy13:

But I already mentioned in my initial post that I was not a believer.
Even atheist still gives. Or are they against giving?
Re: Should Pastors And Their Family Members Tithe? by Mo6M: 9:43am On Oct 30, 2023
Funny you... Tithe is not a gift to God. It's your obligation to confirm that God is your source. The scripture you shared is not Tithe related Sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Crazy Stuff From The Bible / Contra Bibliolatreia II -the Septuagint / Indians Are Throwing their Idols Inside River For Not Saving India From Covid-19

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.