Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,039 members, 7,818,084 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment (8690 Views)

Egypt Court Orders Youtube Blocked For A Month / The Last Testament Of Muammar Ghadaffi (last Speech On Tv) / Ghaddafi Orders Jet Fighters To Bombard Protesting Civilians In Libya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by HRT2010: 1:40pm On Oct 25, 2011
China will limit the number of entertainment programs allowed to air on television, from match-making game shows to dance broadcasts, and push to replace them with morality-building programing, Chinese media reported on Tuesday.

China's State Administration of Radio, Film and Television starting next year will restrict shows that "record the dark and gloomy side of society," the Southern Metropolis Daily said.

"For every satellite TV station, no more than two entertainment programs can be aired during prime time from 7:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. every night," the paper said, citing a directive from the national broadcasting watchdog.

Instead, the newspaper said, the extra time slots would be filled with programs that "promote harmony, health and mainstream culture."

The official Xinhua news agency said the directive aimed to guard against "excessive entertainment" by restricting game shows, talk shows, talents shows, and reality shows, among other types of programing.

At least two hours of news would have to be broadcast during the last six hours of the day on 34 stations, Xinhua said.

A notice of the announcement was not available on the agency's website and telephone calls by Reuters went unanswered.

Chinese media reported in September that the watchdog had asked provincial television stations to limit certain types of broadcasts and boost production of shows about housekeeping and ethics, but the industry was waiting for formal notification.

In September, the agency ordered a popular television talent show akin to American Idol, Super Girl, off the air for a year after it exceeded broadcasting time limits. It has also recently reiterated its ban on sex-related television and radio advertisements, such as ads for breast enlargement surgery.

China routinely censors anything it considers politically sensitive or offensive, from songs to films, in contrast to the patriotic fare of state broadcasters.

What can Nigeria Broadcasting Commission learn from this with all the effects of Project Fame, Maltina Dance Halls, West Africa Idol etc? Could this be the reason for the mass failures in SSCE, GCE, NECO JAMB etc when one considers the huge number of people that troop to these auditions?[/b][b]
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by HRT2010: 1:43pm On Oct 25, 2011
What can Nigeria Broadcasting Commission learn from this with all the effects of[b] Project Fame, Maltina Dance Halls, West Africa Idol etc? [/b] [i][/i]Could this be the reason for the mass failures in SSCE, GCE, NECO JAMB etc when one considers the huge number of people that troop to these auditions?

Let us have your thoughts, personal observations and opinions on this issue.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by veun: 5:07pm On Oct 25, 2011
how does going to talent show make students fail in exams? Is it all the students that failed waec,neco,etc that went for the talent shows?!?
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by ChuckD2(m): 5:08pm On Oct 25, 2011
chinese society structured differently from nigerian society. while their's is a collectivist society that subjects everyone to strict comformity (most times, againt the wish of the people), ours is an individualist society where being unique as a person is encouraged. if it is the "chinese" government, then there's absolutely nothing there to admire or emulate. chikena!
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by crackhouse(m): 5:12pm On Oct 25, 2011
Their freedom is been restricted gradually by their govt, before u know it they will stop entertainment completely including any form of party. They may even tell them the time to move around and time to stay at home and time to ON their T.Vs.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by cantell(m): 5:13pm On Oct 25, 2011
There's nothing to learn. It's backwards mentality.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by harakiri(m): 5:14pm On Oct 25, 2011
I wonder why the west (and the gullible posters on NL) aren't attacking China for not practicing democracy.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by 1759odin(m): 5:17pm On Oct 25, 2011
not in my naija will this ever happen.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by Donbrig: 5:39pm On Oct 25, 2011
I see some senses in what the Chinese govt is trying to do. Spending so much time on TV and other social activities is one reason our children can no longer do well in schools. China is not abolishing TV Entertainment, but restrict the ones that are not helping their children to grow in the right direction. I think some TV programmes in Nigeria are not in any way teaching our children the right things. Our govt could emulate this from China, we should not always see everything that China does as undemocratic, After all, the State of Israel does similar things with their Entertainment industry.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by Dsage1: 5:42pm On Oct 25, 2011
To b sincere,children ar no more interestng in readg der books due to free assess to internet&cable Tv.Some local tv too ar not in any way help these children as most of der programms is all abt entertamnt.Jst take a look at d % of studnt who fail WAEC,NECO,UTME every year,wat u pple tink is responsible 4 dis cos private schools children ar not excluded.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 25, 2011
Nigeria Government will act prior to this news
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by freecocoa(f): 6:02pm On Oct 25, 2011
There's a bit of sense in what they are doing,kids should be restricted on some things they watch,that's just what I agree with cos there's nothing worth emulating from china or the chinese government.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by Yeske2(m): 6:20pm On Oct 25, 2011
God forbid!
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by GODSJEWEL2: 6:30pm On Oct 25, 2011
Its not all about restricting freedom of expression but we need here in Nigeria is morals and educative programs so that our people will learn to respect the rule of law.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by Ekiti1: 6:34pm On Oct 25, 2011
Watching TV (entartainment & other programs) reduces the time children spend on reading.
I think parents should monitor and reduce the TV programs watched by their children instead of government placing restrictions on the type of programs to be aired.
This cannot work in Nigeria cos sm parents are award winners in watching TV.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by grafikii: 6:37pm On Oct 25, 2011
where do u thinks these gang rape ideas are coming from?
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by Nobody: 6:51pm On Oct 25, 2011
chinese society structured differently from nigerian society. while their's is a collectivist society that subjects everyone to strict comformity (most times, againt the wish of the people), ours is an individualist society where being unique as a person is encouraged. if it is the "chinese" government, then there's absolutely nothing there to admire or emulate. chikena!

Is that why there is this ongoing culture of "only me, me and I" in our society? Is that why we can't collectively do things together? Is that why Nigeria is in the state she is today? Individualism has eating deep into our psyche and that is exactly what is practiced in the west.

In America, there is an obsession with celebrity culture cultivated by these shallow shows. They are starting to complain about it and thinking of ways to tackle it. China is surpassing America in many academic endeavors, they built the fastest super computer and other technological advances.

I don't care about the system a nation practices, as far as it produces positive changes and add benefit to the society as a whole. I am down for it.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by Donbrig: 6:58pm On Oct 25, 2011
@Olodostein, I so much agree with you. Some of the things we are emulating from the western world are the things the western world are trying hard to get-rid of.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by GODSJEWEL2: 7:01pm On Oct 25, 2011
China economy has far surpassed America in many ways.their greatest investment is the younger generation which is what they are protecting.can't really say the same thing about our nation
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by ChuckD2(m): 7:28pm On Oct 25, 2011
Olodostein:

Is that why there is this ongoing culture of "only me, me and I" in our society? Is that why we can't collectively do things together? Is that why Nigeria is in the state she is today? Individualism has eating deep into our psyche and that is exactly what is practiced in the west.

In America, there is an obsession with celebrity culture cultivated by these shallow shows. They are starting to complain about it and thinking of ways to tackle it. China is surpassing America in many academic endeavors, they built the fastest super computer and otherther technological advances.

I don't care about the system a nation practices, as far as it produces positive changes and add benefit to the society as a whole. I am down for it.
there's nothing to admire in chinese society structure. nigeria has its perculier problems and the solution is "not" in china. chikena!
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by naira2011(m): 7:34pm On Oct 25, 2011
I will continue saying it, until we create our own political, economic and social models then we are independent and ready to develop when we do so. China is a one party nation that want the best for her own people. Today everybody is going to China for businesses. Ever before the creation of social networks like facebook, youths in Nigeria focus to pass almighty WAEC and anxious to secure a better place in higher institutions but now what do you see in our youths? different reality shows and celebrity mentality. We cannot afford to throw away our culture and values otherwise we will just be counting years upon years for our nation's development.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by Nobody: 8:45pm On Oct 25, 2011
I will continue saying it, until we create our own political, economic and social models then we are independent and ready to develop when we do so. China is a one party nation that want the best for her own people. Today everybody is going to China for businesses. Ever before the creation of social networks like facebook, youths in Nigeria focus to pass almighty WAEC and anxious to secure a better place in higher institutions but now what do you see in our youths? different reality shows and celebrity mentality. We cannot afford to throw away our culture and values otherwise we will just be counting years upon years for our nation's development.

You make a lot of sense. As you stressed, it shows that our problems in Nigeria is very very fundamental. The question is, where and how do we start? Because we do not know where we stand. Everything is hanging in the balance.

You mentioned the three most important functions of a society: Political, Economic and Social. It needs broad and in depth analysis to decipher the best systems that suits us.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by jidewin(m): 8:49pm On Oct 25, 2011
@poster, hmmmm I bow for u o.u no want make media houses make money as dem don target abi,na how many entertaining yet educative reality shows are aired on Nigerian tv?when most channels now even preffered adverts and music promo slots.e no go work here bros. And as per china restriction,there will always mass production of devices that will steal and transmitt prohibited programs,even from pay per view.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by Builder: 9:20pm On Oct 25, 2011
The most disturbing thing about Nigeria and Nigerians is that we dont know what they want. the west have had us in the palm of their hands for too long and any changes made by nigeria wont last and may bring forth destruction sponsored by the west. they sold us slavery, now its democracy, nigerians need to know that we dont need democracy, all we need is liberty, justice, equality and above all a government that serves the needs of his people. Nigeria following the footstep of china is something i dont see hapening because it conflicts with the fundamental principles democracy yet we complain about how our culture is been eroded away by the western ones.

Its high time we do away with the western values, cultures and religion and seek to replace it with what suits the nigerian populace, yet, it may not be perfect but atleast its ours.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by blabber15(f): 10:16pm On Oct 25, 2011
Oh please! Anything that is available on tv can easily be downloaded on the internet so obviously anyone that is serious about watching their favorite show can download it online. You cannot force people to develop will power. And your point about tv shows causing failure in exams is totally wrong. Failure is caused by unwillingness to read or inability to understand, simple! If the student doesn't see any tv show to watch, there's always video games and novels, not to mention the internet. It's simply about willpower.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by seedord247(m): 10:22pm On Oct 25, 2011
China leads, USA Extract, Uk Manipulated. Nigeria Misused It.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by fexlist(m): 11:07pm On Oct 25, 2011
D sage:

To b sincere,children ar no more interestng in readg der books due to free assess to internet&cable Tv.Some local tv too ar not in any way help these children as most of der programms is all abt entertamnt.Jst take a look at d % of studnt who fail WAEC,NECO,UTME every year,wat u pple tink is responsible 4 dis cos private schools children ar not excluded.
Seconded!
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by kenjudy(m): 11:32pm On Oct 25, 2011
One question we all have to ask ourselves; "of all the things we learnt from the western world, which one of them has more negative impact on our future generations", I guess TV entertainment! From my own point of view, TV entertainment is the second most destructive weapon to a brighter imagination if not cautiously handled ahead on time. From erotic movies to erotic music videos and the violent gang series, even when rated 18. I believe it's no more tinme for do ur best and let God do the rest but the time for the best to be giving no matter how hard,
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by Nobody: 11:56pm On Oct 25, 2011
D sage:

What kind of reasoning is this? How could you blame TV on mass failure? Why not question teaching techniques, Nigeria's minimal budget on education, poor parenting e.t.c? Imagine a parent blaming his/her child's failure on media when he does't revise homework with his kids, go to school to check his progress, spends his money on something else (Partying and marrying extra wives) instead of buying textbooks and educational materials for his kids, e.t.c

We Nigerians always aim for soft targets when there are pressing issues to deal with.

Imagine senators discussing ways to legalise prostitution instead of discussing how to stop child labour, human trafficking, e.t.c.

Fellow Nigerians, we never seem to get our priorities right, we waste so much time on trivialities.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by TBrownAuto(m): 12:45am On Oct 26, 2011
@OP

waec and neco failure cause DSTV and Nollywood, standard of living too major factor and most of them all the parent get no time for their kid looking for money
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by donclemo(m): 1:02am On Oct 26, 2011
The Media is not the problem of Nigeria. it is the standard we have seen our self during the 90's people study and put in more effort in their studies there was new masquarades and different entertainment programs on Nta and beside now u can get a school where u can pay to cheat and people cheat in Higher institution, secondary school, i guess even primary school so they have an option . there a lot of students in the United states that watch movies that were released yesterday (i mean all the latest movies ) but they are still straight A students.
Re: China Orders Cutback On Tv Entertainment by tpia5: 2:35am On Oct 26, 2011
i do see where they're coming from even if the policy is a bit strict.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Last Testament Of Muammar Ghadaffi (last Speech On Tv) / Brazil: 400 Persons Arrested After Invasion By pro-Bolsonaro Supporters / Breaking News: Gaddafi Supporters Seized Control Of Bani Walid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.