Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,226 members, 7,811,624 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:57 PM

Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? (34662 Views)

Old Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender Indefinitely – CBN / Naira Redesign: Old, New Notes Are Legal Tender – CBN Reveals / FG Bows To Will Of The Supreme Court: Old Naira Notes Remain Legal Tender - FFK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by chatinent: 6:59pm On Nov 15, 2023
UncleKoboko:

WE DON'T WANT 5000 NOTE
STOP SPREADING EVIL
STOP SPREADING PROPAGANDA
FEAR POSTERITY

We? You are just a person.
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by chatinent: 6:59pm On Nov 15, 2023
UncleKoboko:

Dey der dey DECEIVE YOURSELF.

Na only one note dem go print?

Tame yourself with your name.
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by chatinent: 7:00pm On Nov 15, 2023
ahnie:
Chai chatinent....Soho alhaji.
Ina gesuwa fa baba na.

Omo eh, e no easy. I lost your 234. Good pm.
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by etrange: 7:04pm On Nov 15, 2023
chatinent:
Rich man pikin go think say na the money Judas collect in those days take sell Jesus.

Then they'll be like: “doddy, isn't that ..what's his name...Tafawa Belewa?“

Are you saying that poor kids will recognize the currency on basis of the fact that they're poor? K thought it's the individual's age and not financial status.
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by eme1n(m): 7:16pm On Nov 15, 2023
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by tunjijones(m): 7:17pm On Nov 15, 2023
Wujio:

5 Naira in 1988 is buggest boy o. The standard then was less than a 50kobo or 1 Naira coin per meal. Approximately 2.5 kobo was my daily spending for feeding in school

5 naira in 1988 is equivalent to 1,200 naira today. How did I arrive at that?

In 1988 20 leave exercise book was 40k. In 2023 it cost about 150 naira (not too sure)

Dividing 5 naira by 40kobo is 8.

Multiply 150naira by 8 and you get 1,200 naira.
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by UncleKoboko: 7:31pm On Nov 15, 2023
chatinent:

We? You are just a person.
And I guess you're a million person?
See mumu grin grin grin
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by Mayeldah(m): 8:05pm On Nov 15, 2023
LeoDeKing:
How can 50 kobo be a note?
;

For your mind kobo means coins abi? grin
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by Fredoh(m): 8:20pm On Nov 15, 2023
LeoDeKing:
How can 50 kobo be a note?

Ayya, it’s like you do not know the might of our dear Naira before it’s mighty fall.
It was at par with GBP.
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by Gerard28: 9:05pm On Nov 15, 2023
chatinent:
Do you know that the cost for printing one ₦20 note is one thousand times more expensive than the note?

Lies lies lies
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by kelvinovie25(m): 9:40pm On Nov 15, 2023
#5 & #10 are becoming obsolete
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by Tayorshd87: 9:45pm On Nov 15, 2023
Bizibi:
In 1996 you dare not carry 50 naira as a student in secondary School,in 1988,I carried 5 naira to school and the teacher asked me who gave it to me,she was frowning her face.

I can't imagine the 20 naira I was using to feed everyday in secondary School is the same currency we are using to buy one pure water satchel.

My brother then ehn if you owe #5 you go buy rice beans groundnut mention them 🤔

With just #5 kai now Nigeria don scatter where y the money cannot even be easily seen in the society again because it's useless and worthless 🙁☹️
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by Kingosytex(m): 10:10pm On Nov 15, 2023
MrCGPA:

Some APC Supporters don't have Brain. Was it not Buhari that brought Emefiele?

Being senseless and clueless are some of the attributes needed to be an APC supporter.
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by aloyin(m): 10:30pm On Nov 15, 2023
This made me remembered the day I stole #1 note. I couldn't spend it. I think I was in primary 3 or so then. I gave it to mama alakara, she refused to sell akara for me, she asked me where I got the money from. I told her that my mummy gave me. She said is a lied that I stole it. I took it to iya alamala, she also refused to sell Amala for. I later took it to school. In the break I gave it to our food seller, she reported me to one of our teachers. I can't forget MR AFOLABI in my life . He beat the hell out of me, before taking me to the house. My grandma had been searching for the money in the room. Skater the whole room for the #1....... #20 note is the highest money then..... The highest money given to me by my grandma then is 25kobo (if I don't eat in the house). But if I ate food at home, I will only got 5kobo. And the 5kobo is enough to buy Amala or food in the break....... WHAT A LIFE

1 Like

Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by tobstarizhia(m): 3:29am On Nov 16, 2023
I was alive when this was used.
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by Mom007(f): 6:05am On Nov 16, 2023
That one naira looks like 1£. So cute.
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by sallazlee(m): 6:49am On Nov 16, 2023
adioolayi:
Na wa ooo..

Egbo and Ewa..

Egbo 30kobo and Ewa 20kobo

Iya elegbo for Yemetu Aladorin area in Ibadan..

Good old memories.

You sabi the woman for yemetu
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by Igboslayer: 7:30am On Nov 16, 2023
Bizibi:
In 1996 you dare not carry 50 naira as a student in secondary School,in 1988,I carried 5 naira to school and the teacher asked me who gave it to me,she was frowning her face.

I can't imagine the 20 naira I was using to feed everyday in secondary School is the same currency we are using to buy one pure water satchel.

In 1989 1Naira was my monthly allowance. 10 kobo was a very huge money then. Used to earn some coins playing cards and cashew games in the neighborhood back then. When Banbagida introduced his new coins everything went south. People stopped using coins almost immediately.
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by Hausa(m): 10:07pm On Nov 16, 2023
aQUINandmore:
in 98/99 we didn't pay school fees in primary school, what we were paying was 3 naira for handwork.
And you still get to see many kids sent home by their teachers, many parents were still unable to pay that 3 naira.
Mumsy too try abeg, she still singlehandedly sent two of us to the best private school in the town then.
N3 ke?
Perhaps, not in Lagos.

What state was this?
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by Hausa(m): 10:17pm On Nov 16, 2023
themanderon:
The good old Herbert Macaulay note. I won't forget when I found 3 of those notes in one of my dad's old cloths he doesn't wear again. It was as if I hit the jackpot that day. I spent that 3naira for days and days on end. It was like a ten year old child finding free 3thoisand naira today. To think the value of that money then is worth thousands today I pitiful. Are we making progress or retrograding on a yearly basis?
This one go don tey ooo.
Like which year?
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by themanderon: 11:15pm On Nov 16, 2023
Hausa:
This one go don tey ooo.
Like which year?

I don't remember. All I know is that I was a very young boy probably in primary 2 or 3.

1 Like

Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by tollyboy5(m): 11:21pm On Nov 16, 2023
MrCGPA:

Some APC Supporters don't have Brain. Was it not Buhari that brought Emefiele?
Anything obidient support do fail, so emefiele failed tongue
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by tollyboy5(m): 11:21pm On Nov 16, 2023
zombieHUNTER:

Wetin concern Buhari APc appointee like Emefiele with Obidients...

Are you daft?
Anything obidient support do fail, so emefiele failed tongue
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by tollyboy5(m): 11:23pm On Nov 16, 2023
1TrippleCee:

Polymer is Soludo. Hatred don block your brain
I no ask you who brought polymer, i just stated the currency type i prefer. What does it have to do with hate?
You must be an obidient! Go and put your sense back or do something..
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by tollyboy5(m): 11:25pm On Nov 16, 2023
aloyin:
This made me remembered the day I stole #1 note. I couldn't spend it. I think I was in primary 3 or so then. I gave it to mama alakara, she refused to sell akara for me, she asked me where I got the money from. I told her that my mummy gave me. She said is a lied that I stole it. I took it to iya alamala, she also refused to sell Amala for. I later took it to school. In the break I gave it to our food seller, she reported me to one of our teachers. I can't forget MR AFOLABI in my life . He beat the hell out of me, before taking me to the house. My grandma had been searching for the money in the room. Skater the whole room for the #1....... #20 note is the highest money then..... The highest money given to me by my grandma then is 25kobo (if I don't eat in the house). But if I ate food at home, I will only got 5kobo. And the 5kobo is enough to buy Amala or food in the break....... WHAT A LIFE
Omo it was obvious you stole the money grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by aQUINandmore: 7:17am On Nov 17, 2023
Hausa:
N3 ke?
Perhaps, not in Lagos.

What state was this?
edo state, what public primary schools pay then was handwork and it was 3 naira. I'm talking about 97,98,99.
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by Hausa(m): 5:58pm On Nov 17, 2023
Adewale1603:
it can't be. I was born 1994, and all through the year 2000s, I spent that one naira notes. Until 2004 There was even a time they reintroduce the new one naira notes back around 2009 or 2010
Guy, which state was that?
Haba na!
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by Hausa(m): 6:11pm On Nov 17, 2023
aloyin:
Damn! This was probably the 80s or thereabouts, shay?
Dem days when morals were still so high. Imagine 2 people refused to collect it and one reported you.

These days, someone wey im mama and papa dey struggle go bring iPhone 12 and there'll be no question. They'll even buy cars and cruise around and no one will bat an eye. Chooi.
Good ol days!
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by Hausa(m): 6:14pm On Nov 17, 2023
aQUINandmore:
edo state, what public primary schools pay then was handwork and it was 3 naira. I'm talking about 97,98,99.
Probably a govt school, correct?
As at same 1997 as a primary school student in Lagos, my tuition was in the thousands ọ.
Maybe less than 5k or 3k, but definitely in the thousands.
Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by Adewale1603(m): 9:38pm On Nov 18, 2023
Hausa:
Guy, which state was that?
Haba na!
offa, kwara state

1 Like

Re: Old Naira Legal Tender. Do You Remember? by Hausa(m): 8:26am On Nov 29, 2023
Adewale1603:
offa, kwara state
Maybe Kwara sha.
That note wasn't even available in Lagos as at the mid to late 90s.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bus Carrying Goods Got Burnt Up On 3rd Mainland Bridge Today (Photos) / MTN Gets Approval For Momo Bank In Nigeria As It Diversifies Into Banking / Can 150k Start A Gas Refill Business?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.