Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,520 members, 7,823,235 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:19 AM

Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! (26083 Views)

Real Life Tarzen Girl Grew Up In Jungles With Wild Animals: Pictures / University Girls EXPOSED, Lesbian Party Gone Wild See PHOTOS / Animals And Zoos In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by chidike(m): 9:21pm On Oct 25, 2011
So i was discussing with a friend a few days ago and he told me that his girlfriend told him that while she was travelling from awka to onitsha, they (herself and other passengers in the bus) sighted a lion by the road (the road is kinda bushy, but not like thick forests and stuff).

i don't really believe wat my friend told me, which has led me to ask. Do we have wild animals, like lions, cheetahs, leopards that are found in africa in Nigeria

i researched wikipedia, and from my findings we have leopards, lions and cheetahs in the wild in Nigeria. So my question is, is this true?? Have there been any sightings in recent times. Because i know that whenever i travel by road from the north to the south east, i see a lot of thick forests but in the midst of those forests u'll notice a couple of huts, which means that people live there, so wat are ur thoughts

Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by iice(f): 3:49am On Oct 27, 2011
Never seen since nothing go carry me take road from north to south. But with all our forest, i suppose there has to be things in there, we've never seen.
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by Nobody: 3:51am On Oct 27, 2011
What else should we call our politicians?

Nigeria indeed has wild animals.

2 Likes

Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by iice(f): 3:52am On Oct 27, 2011
grin grin
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by asha80(m): 9:48am On Oct 27, 2011
chidike:

So i was discussing with a friend a few days ago and he told me that his girlfriend told him that while she was travelling from awka to onitsha, they (herself and other passengers in the bus) sighted a lion by the road (the road is kinda bushy, but not like thick forests and stuff).

i don't really believe wat my friend told me, which has led me to ask. Do we have wild animals, like lions, cheetahs, leopards that are found in africa in Nigeria

i researched wikipedia, and from my findings we have leopards, lions and cheetahs in the wild in Nigeria. So my question is, is this true?? Have there been any sightings in recent times. Because i know that whenever i travel by road from the north to the south east, i see a lot of thick forests but in the midst of those forests u'll notice a couple of huts, which means that people live there, so wat are your thoughts

i doubt if it was a lion yiur friend saw in that axis.

probably a leopard.
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by twinskenny(m): 9:56am On Oct 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

grin grin grin grin
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by lovejohn: 9:57am On Oct 27, 2011
@Op

You go to Eagle square, house of rep and sanate u'll see a lot of wild animals dare, and if you're nt too satified you go to the forest near you you;ll find enough dare!! hahhahah
grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by nedu2000(m): 10:01am On Oct 27, 2011
asha 80:

i doubt if it was a lion yiur friend saw in that axis.

probably a leopard.
, leopard is a wild animal as well

1 Like

Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:07am On Oct 27, 2011
I have seen some wild animals in Ikoyi - Bourdillion road, they seem to congregate on signal from a 1-eyed BAT grin resident on that road
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by nedu2000(m): 10:10am On Oct 27, 2011
Poster ur question is a no brainer!!, where I served in mirnga,Borno state we feasted on wild animals only,these animals were purchases from hunters they include leopards,chettahs and even lions,the meat sweet sha but the bones are virtually unbreakable
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by chuckdee4(m): 10:17am On Oct 27, 2011
nedu2000:

Poster your question is a no brainer!!, where I served in mirnga,Borno state we feasted on wild animals only,these animals were purchases from hunters they include leopards,chettahs and even lions,the meat sweet sha but the bones are virtually unbreakable

At OP, there is your answer and this also explains why we do not seem to have a lot of wild animals left, see locals eating them sha like say na beef

1 Like

Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by emofine(f): 10:18am On Oct 27, 2011
chidike:

We have Leopards - remember benin empire and their depiction of these animals in their art.

We have Lions also, in my father's home town there was an unruly Lion that used to terrorize the locals lol

I'm not too sure about Cheetahs though but honestly I wouldn't even be surprised if Nigeria does contain them.

1 Like

Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by ezme(m): 10:21am On Oct 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

grin grin grin

Only antelopes I believe
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by nedu2000(m): 10:25am On Oct 27, 2011
chuckdee4:

At OP, there is your answer and this also explains why we do not seem to have a lot of wild animals left, see locals eating them sha like say na beef
. Wot do U̶̲̥̅̊ expect?the best cows are shipped down to the south,only the sick cows remain, and I love beef(nt beaf o)
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by cloud7: 10:27am On Oct 27, 2011
WHAT YOUR FRIEND SIGHTED MAY PROBABLY BE A SPECIE OF WILD DOG, (EDU) ITS DOTTED WITH BLACK AND WHITE SKIN.I HAVE SEEN SUCH WILD ANIMAL BEFORE,ITS NORMALLY FOUND WITHIN SWAMPY FOREST
YES,WILD ANIMAL DO EXIST IN OUR RAIN FOREST ZONES,MANGROVE SWAMP,SAVANANAH'S ETC BUT THE PROBLEM IS THAT SOME OF THESE WILD ANIMALS ARE FAST BECOMING EXTINCT BECAUSE OF HUNGER AND STARVATION PREVAILING ALL THE BREATH AND WIDTH OF THE COUNTRY.
[color=#770077][/color]

1 Like

Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by llbhuds: 10:31am On Oct 27, 2011
there are lots of wild animals in aso rock grin grin grin grin grin
GEJ is the lion king
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by lovejohn: 10:36am On Oct 27, 2011
OUR OBJ IS THE CHIEF TIGER grin grin shocked

Enough wild animals in ASO ROCK grin grin grin
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by olawalebabs(m): 10:41am On Oct 27, 2011
There are, if you have been to the North Eastern part of the country, very close to Cameroon. I mean the Taraba, Adamawa axis, you'll find more than enough there
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by sheyguy: 10:48am On Oct 27, 2011
Bauchi, Yankari is another place u can get them.
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by lovejohn: 10:57am On Oct 27, 2011
There are, if you have been to the North Eastern part of the country, very close to Cameroon. I mean the Taraba, Adamawa axis, you'll find more than enough there

Dose places is too far go ASO ROCK grin grin grin
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by olawalebabs(m): 11:03am On Oct 27, 2011
You sure
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by nasoeb: 11:15am On Oct 27, 2011
ofcourse there are, especially the northern part of the country, its recorded we have hyaenas, lions, tigers, leopard etc

the problem is that our government hasn't got the time for the citizens needless talking about preserving these animals
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by yuzedo: 11:23am On Oct 27, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

iDied!!!!! grin grin grin
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by emofine(f): 11:27am On Oct 27, 2011
nasoeb:

ofcourse there are, especially the northern part of the country, its recorded we have hyaenas, lions, tigers, leopard etc

the problem is that our government hasn't got the time for the citizens needless talking about preserving these animals

Tigers are indigenes of Asia not Africa.
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 27, 2011
Seen quite a few. Hyenas,monkeys,snakes.

Heard one or two stories bout antelopes,lions and elephants but never seen any physically.

Bit random - but believe we also got sharks and stingrays in our coastal waters.
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by paniki(m): 11:38am On Oct 27, 2011
Is there any sizeable area in Nigeria that doesn't have any human civilisation?
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by topsquino(m): 11:39am On Oct 27, 2011
I guess ur friend saw GEJ, coz na in be d only lion we get now
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by Freiburger(m): 11:41am On Oct 27, 2011
llbhuds:

there are lots of wild animals in aso rock grin grin grin grin grin
GEJ is the lion king
grin grin grin
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by cinzo: 11:45am On Oct 27, 2011
Naija has a lot of wild animals! Even in excess if you ask me,just visit the national assembly,house of rep,aso rock,government house in the various states and you will see them roaming around!
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by igbogolo: 11:47am On Oct 27, 2011
why be concerned about wild animals when the humans (especially the thieving elite)  in nigeria are wilder than the craziest animal.

the humans in nigeria are more poisonous than the rattle snake, more greedy than the komodo dragon, more rapacious than the highland vulture, more dangerous than the marbled cone snail.

these special numan species are like the bubonic plague, laying waste to large expanse of land with corruption and venom.

beware of nigerian species!
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by odumchi: 12:00pm On Oct 27, 2011
In the old days there were plenty of lions in parts of the East and the North. Today youll find chimpanzees, Crocodiles, bush cats and in the far North East: elephants.
Re: Do Wild Animals Exist In Nigeria: Not Zoos O! by Sike(m): 12:14pm On Oct 27, 2011
Yes we have. In the Zoo!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Flooding Leaves Thousands Stranded At Abuja-lokoja Road / "Nairaland 2.0" Is Live! Any Questions Or Feedback? / 3 African Men Display Great Acrobatic Skills From Air

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.