Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,371 members, 7,812,091 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:57 AM

Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President (22952 Views)

The Moment Imo Residents Walked Out From APC Town Hall Meeting With Shettima / PMB In Imo: Residents Line Up To Welcome The President / Naked Unknown Gunman Hailed In Owerri As He Entertains Imo Residents (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by FreeStuffsNG: 4:08pm On Nov 02, 2023
Imo residents in blackout after attack on NLC President

On Wednesday, November 1, the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE) directed all electricity workers to put a stop to all electricity services after Joe Ajaero, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) President was brutalized in Imo state.

A part of the NUEE letter read thus:

“In response to the atrocious and inhumane behaviour meted out to our fellow comrades and the abduction of the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress by the Imo State Governor and the Policemen of the Imo State Command today, Wednesday 1 November 2023, we will embark on a total shutdown of the Nation if the President of the NLC is not released and adequate explanation given by the Nigerian Government.

“All National State and Chapter executives are requested to start the mobilization of our members in total compliance with this directive. Please note that withdrawal of Services nationwide commences from 0.00 hours of Thursday, November 2.2023.

“We cannot be at work while the President of the NLC is incarcerated, and we cannot be at peace when the rights of the workers in Imo State are being trampled on with utmost impunity. The strength and integrity of our Union are at stake, please ensure total compliance.”
Apparently, the directive was carried out in Imo state on Thursday, November 2, according to the letter signed by Dominic Igwebike, the Acting Secretary of the NUEE.

This is the current situation even though the NLC president is being treated at the hospital.

Backstory
On Wednesday, November 1, the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Joe Ajaero, was abducted by security agents.

Ajaero and other NLC leaders, along with the Trade Union Congress of Nigeria (TUC), were present at the State Secretariat in Owerri to kick off a planned protest for Thursday, November 2, and a potential strike due to various grievances against the Imo State government.

These issues include unpaid salaries, outstanding allowances, and the state government’s alleged mistreatment of workers.

Note that the Imo State government under Governor Hope Uzodinma has been accused of multiple offences, including failing to honour previous agreements, withholding salary payments, wrongfully labelling workers as ghost employees, destruction of the NLC state secretariat, discriminatory pay practices, and neglecting pensioners.

Other allegations against the state government include non-compliance with the National Minimum Wage, harassment of trade union leaders, use of violence and intimidation, mismanagement of union funds, declaring pensioners as non-existent employees, and systematic intimidation of the workforce, as well as reluctance to engage in discussions.

As of Thursday morning, November 2, there are reports that the NLC President, Joe Ajaero is currently hospitalized, fighting to save his right eye after the violent events that occurred on Wednesday, November 1.

https://nairametrics.com/2023/11/02/imo-residents-in-blackout-after-attack-on-nlc-president/

112 Likes

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by FreeStuffsNG: 4:08pm On Nov 02, 2023
Labour Party(LP) acting like tyrants. These are private businesses and energy consumers they're punishing for the labour party's political interests.

National Assembly should enact a law to separate the NLC from a political party in order to stop this kind of tyranny. Check my signature for free stuffs!

129 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by TemplarLandry: 4:09pm On Nov 02, 2023
cool

88 Likes

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by Pierocash(m): 4:10pm On Nov 02, 2023
Hope and wike are same birds of a feather

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by JPmore: 4:12pm On Nov 02, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Labour party acting like tyrants. These are private businesses and energy consumers.

National Assembly should enact a law to separate the NLC from a political party to stop this kind of tyranny.

TCN na private business?

82 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by FreeStuffsNG: 4:17pm On Nov 02, 2023
JPmore:

TCN na private business?
Power has been privatised sir. If in doubt, visit the TCN website. It's NERC that's not private.

104 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by olisaEze(m): 4:20pm On Nov 02, 2023
Serves them right. The office of the president of the NLC is not the same as Mc Oluomo's. Better goan buy fuel now if u reside there, because filling stations and Nupeng will soon follow suit! cool

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by JPmore: 4:27pm On Nov 02, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Power has been privatised sir. If in doubt, visit the TCN website. It's NERC that's not private.

TCN is still fg owned, I know because my wife works there.....,, NERC is just a regulating body not an actor in the power chain.
GENCOS
DISCOS are private not TCN yet.

Thank me later

131 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by FreeStuffsNG: 4:31pm On Nov 02, 2023
JPmore:

TCN is still fg owned, I know because my wife works there.....,, NERC is just a regulating body not an actor in the power chain.
GENCOS
DISCOS are private not TCN yet.

Thank me later
You are right that it's FG-owned but it is like NNPC Limited where FG owns the majority and controlling shares.

TCN is a for-Profit company, not an agency. Please go to their website and see the company structure. Thank me later wink

103 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by Tinububalls: 4:32pm On Nov 02, 2023
We Don see shege since yesterday.
Light wey we use dey hold body.
I thought he's out, what are they still waiting for?

2 Likes

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by Smithkafors(m): 4:35pm On Nov 02, 2023
The same Op that has been hailing the beating?. I pity anyone who don’t see through you guys.

You have never supported upright candidates.

14 Likes

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by JPmore: 4:37pm On Nov 02, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
You are right that's FG-owned but it is like NNPC Limited where FG owns the majority and controlling shares. It is a company not an agency. Please go to their website and see the company structure. Thank me later wink

It is a company, and that’s true, however, it is 100% owned by Fg though there is a reason why it hasn’t been given out to private investors for the interests of the nation
Fg has 40% stake in both
Discos and GENCOS

27 Likes

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by NaijaCover(m): 6:07pm On Nov 02, 2023
Nawa o

Is Just Speechless
Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by Passionate888: 6:07pm On Nov 02, 2023
Hope sef
Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by Giftedhand47(m): 6:07pm On Nov 02, 2023
I fix iphone panels

A trial will convince you
Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by Angelfrost(m): 6:09pm On Nov 02, 2023
After he was brutalized?!!

Which kain lie be that??!

I have it on good authority that the state has been cut off from electricity long before Ajaero showed up from Abuja... And why does EEDC always do that??!!

Any small thing pertaining to Labor, dem go off Imo people light... This is the 4th time this year.

7 Likes

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by Xhuntra: 6:10pm On Nov 02, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
You are right that's FG-owned but it is like NNPC Limited where FG owns the majority and controlling shares. It is a company not an agency. Please go to their website and see the company structure. Thank me later wink

Mister clöwn, shut that gutter u call mouth. From NLC being labour party to the gibberish u re here regurgitating.

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by CJStarz: 6:10pm On Nov 02, 2023
That's way to go. Others should follow.
Beating Ajaero mean say na all the state workers wey dem beat join.

13 Likes

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 6:11pm On Nov 02, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Labour party acting like tyrants. These are private businesses and energy consumers they're punishing for the labour party's political interests.

National Assembly should enact a law to separate the NLC from a political party in order to stop this kind of tyranny. Check my signature for free stuffs!
So attacking the NLC chairman by sponsors is Good?

22 Likes

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by Fatbam005: 6:11pm On Nov 02, 2023
Until he is able to see clearly that is when light will be restored right now his face too is completely blackout with punches

12 Likes

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by tommy589(m): 6:11pm On Nov 02, 2023
Ok
Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by busiconsult2019: 6:11pm On Nov 02, 2023
yy
Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by Cocolatti(m): 6:11pm On Nov 02, 2023
Hope Uzodinma The "Supreme Thug" Governor.

12 Likes

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by cornerstonee: 6:11pm On Nov 02, 2023
pathethic

1 Like

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by Pepperdemisback: 6:11pm On Nov 02, 2023
These people are too stupid to be called human beings.
Is Uzodinma in darkness?
Flog their parents, crumble their fellow men's businesses every Monday for FG not releasing Kanu, now these.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by Preferito(m): 6:11pm On Nov 02, 2023
TemplarLandry:
cool
You say what?
Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by yeyebrity: 6:12pm On Nov 02, 2023
Why would they deny them electricity as a form of punishment? What punishment has been metted out to the FG for their shabby treatment of workers?

1 Like

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by Preferito(m): 6:12pm On Nov 02, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:
Labour party acting like tyrants. These are private businesses and energy consumers they're punishing for the labour party's political interests.

With this bias in your reasoning I don't think there is need to check your signature. When everything was shut down during the subsidy removal protest of 2012 you didn't see it as a political movement. Continue!

22 Likes

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by FreeStuffsNG: 6:12pm On Nov 02, 2023
Xhuntra:

Mister clöwn, shut that gutter u call mouth. From NLC being labour party to the gibberish u re here regurgitating.
Mynd44 nlfpmod

81 Likes

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by Elexim: 6:13pm On Nov 02, 2023
Good.. Its only in Africa and Nigeria that they treat and disgrace labour anyhow.. Whereas organized labour is more powerful than a countries' government in the perk of power.. They last thing any government in the west will want in their territory is an organized labour movement against them, but in Nigeria the case is different.. If they do anyhow labour should shut down banks too..

3 Likes

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by Xhuntra: 6:13pm On Nov 02, 2023
FreeStuffsNG:

Mynd44 nlfpmod

Seun mynd44 oam4j Dominique lalasticlala Dominique lalasticlala
Rule 1

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Imo Residents In Blackout After Attack On NLC President by 99thEnemy(m): 6:14pm On Nov 02, 2023
grin
Kriss216 why did you people attack NLC president? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Mixed Reactions On Enugu's Kia Police Cars / Those Who Accused Me Of Gun Running Have Escaped From Police Custody – Melaye / Lawan, Ndume, Goje Shift Battleground To PDP Camp

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.