Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,807 members, 7,817,341 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:34 AM

Help: I'm Scared Of The Job Document I Signed - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help: I'm Scared Of The Job Document I Signed (502 Views)

I'm Scared Of Marrying Her / My Younger Sister Has This Entitlement Mentality. Help I'm Scared For Her. / Help I'm Pregnant For A Married Man. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help: I'm Scared Of The Job Document I Signed by kenwills(m): 3:18pm On Nov 03, 2023
Good day everyone,
Please I need your advice!
A company based in Germany that I applied to recently approved my application for a job and they gave me an NDA document to sign before I begin. The excitement of securing my first job didn't make me read the terms well enough, so I just glanced through it a bit and signed.

When I sat down to review the documents again I felt very cold, shivery and worried about the implications of violating the terms. Because a penalty for mistaken violation could land me in a court far away and ruin my entire life and reputation with legal consequences. cry

I have been very skeptical about this issues, and I'm even afraid to even post anything about my skills on social media to avoid legal problems. I considered quiting the job for my mental health sake, but the legal terms I signed still binds me for about 6 years and it kind of restricts me from show casing my current skills publicly even if I choose to quit.

Please have you had any experience signing an NDA for a job as a worker, or as a freelancer?
Even if you haven't please I will like to have your advice on this.
Re: Help: I'm Scared Of The Job Document I Signed by Wujio: 3:27pm On Nov 03, 2023
Calm yourself down abeg. We sign many of such from time to time. Get a lawyer and stop seeking attention angry
Re: Help: I'm Scared Of The Job Document I Signed by kenwills(m): 3:30pm On Nov 03, 2023
Wujio:
Calm yourself down abeg. We sign many of such from time to time. Get a lawyer and stop seeking attention angry

Honestly It's not about seeking attention. The wordings is given me serious concerns being my first encounter and I don't know a lawyer close by.
Re: Help: I'm Scared Of The Job Document I Signed by psucc(m): 3:37pm On Nov 03, 2023
Why not resigned the appointment before taking the first salary?

1 Like

Re: Help: I'm Scared Of The Job Document I Signed by Babangidapikin: 3:47pm On Nov 03, 2023
It's just a Non Disclosure Agreement... (NDA) ...standard practice so you don't disclose confidential information to third parties.

3 Likes

Re: Help: I'm Scared Of The Job Document I Signed by Mindlog: 5:33pm On Nov 03, 2023
kenwills:

Honestly It's not about seeking attention. The wordings is given me serious concerns being my first encounter and I don't know a lawyer close by.

What is the big deal about not disclosing what was stated in the agreement or are you the type that itch to share work related information?
Re: Help: I'm Scared Of The Job Document I Signed by LordReed(m): 10:26am On Nov 04, 2023
kenwills:
Good day everyone,
Please I need your advice!
A company based in Germany that I applied to recently approved my application for a job and they gave me an NDA document to sign before I begin. The excitement of securing my first job didn't make me read the terms well enough, so I just glanced through it a bit and signed.

When I sat down to review the documents again I felt very cold, shivery and worried about the implications of violating the terms. Because a penalty for mistaken violation could land me in a court far away and ruin my entire life and reputation with legal consequences. cry

I have been very skeptical about this issues, and I'm even afraid to even post anything about my skills on social media to avoid legal problems. I considered quiting the job for my mental health sake, but the legal terms I signed still binds me for about 6 years and it kind of restricts me from show casing my current skills publicly even if I choose to quit.

Please have you had any experience signing an NDA for a job as a worker, or as a freelancer?
Even if you haven't please I will like to have your advice on this.

Is it also a non-compete agreement? Some companies impose a duration of non-competing activities after disengagement as part of their job contracts, is that part of what you signed?
Re: Help: I'm Scared Of The Job Document I Signed by Aaaaarghmed(m): 11:12am On Nov 04, 2023
Always dey check docs before you sign..na so I almost subscribe for one Access bank package wey dem go dy deduct 6k monthly from my acct for the services. I think Access bank exclusive.dem don send me OTP,I had to go to google to read terms and conditions before I backed out.mind you, they never sent me the terms and conditions.
Re: Help: I'm Scared Of The Job Document I Signed by kenwills(m): 6:31pm On Nov 04, 2023
LordReed:

Is it also a non-compete agreement? Some companies impose a duration of non-competing activities after disengagement as part of their job contracts, is that part of what you signed?

No it wasn't part of what I signed just the NDA no non-compete.
Re: Help: I'm Scared Of The Job Document I Signed by LordReed(m): 6:44pm On Nov 04, 2023
kenwills:

No it wasn't part of what I signed just the NDA no non-compete.

Then that NDA is probably unenforceable. However, take it to a lawyer to advice you.
Re: Help: I'm Scared Of The Job Document I Signed by kenwills(m): 9:40pm On Nov 04, 2023
LordReed:

Then that NDA is probably unenforceable. However, take it to a lawyer to advice you.

Alright thanks
I latter learnt that NDA's are different from NCA's(Non-compete agreement). I'll try to look around for a lawyer.
Re: Help: I'm Scared Of The Job Document I Signed by kenwills(m): 9:48pm On Nov 04, 2023
Mindlog:

What is the big deal about not disclosing what was stated in the agreement or are you the type that itch to share work related information?

Not really, I don't discuss that much being an introvert. I'm just skeptical as it is my first encounter with such.
Re: Help: I'm Scared Of The Job Document I Signed by kenwills(m): 9:49pm On Nov 04, 2023
Babangidapikin:
It's just a Non Disclosure Agreement... (NDA) ...standard practice so you don't disclose confidential information to third parties.

Thanks for your input.

(1) (Reply)

My Father Doesn't Stand Up For Me Like My Other Siblings / Galaxy Watch 5 Pro For Sale (SOLD) / Child Birth: Son Or Daughter, Which Do You Prefer? And Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.