Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,261 members, 7,836,191 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:35 PM

How Tunde Idiagbon Instilled Discipline In Derailing Nigerians - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Tunde Idiagbon Instilled Discipline In Derailing Nigerians (258 Views)

The Mysterious Death Of Tunde Idiagbon / Tunde Idiagbon's 78th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / ‘Late Tunde Idiagbon Was A Very Rare Example Of Loyalty To Fatherland’ –Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Tunde Idiagbon Instilled Discipline In Derailing Nigerians by TemplarLandry: 2:45pm On Nov 05, 2023
How Tunde Idiagbon Instilled Discipline In Derailing Nigerians

As a Yoruba boy, while growing up I used to hear “Wáì á mú ę o” which translates to “WAI (pronounced wa-i)
will nab you o” when people misbehaved or got out of line. For example peeing in the open, engaging in corrupt practices and so on. Defaulters nabbed by WAI operatives were beaten mercilessly with Koboko (24 inches-long whip made from animals' leather).

Picture yourself picking a ripe, healthy Coconut which fell around the tree, peeling off the pod. Now you have the nut in your hand, ready to be broken so as to sip its milk and eat the flesh (kernel). The name “Idiagbon” in Yoruba means “the lower part of peeled Coconut” which is known to be strong.

The War Against Indiscipline (WAI) was announced in March 1984 by Tunde Idiagbon, the Vice President, the Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters and the launch event was held at Tafawa Balewa Square, Lagos to much fanfare. Here's the video from the event:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4K9afWHvoE&pp=ygUeSWRpYWdib24gV0FJIHRlbGV2aXNpb24gYWR2ZXJ0

The military government of which Idiagbon was a member had seized power on December 31, 1983, and a key underlying reason given for the coup was unprecedented, rampant corruption and indiscipline within the political class. Prior to the coup, major Nigerian newspapers wrote articles alleging corrupt practices within the Shehu Shagari's democratic Government, including fraud in the Housing Ministry and External Communications Agency, bribes given to Central Bank officials to obtain foreign currency, and the Federal Government's support for hoarding of rice.

Mr. Idiagbon was no doubt, the engine-room, the brain-box, and the star boy of the military regime headed by Mr. Buhari. It was indeed very clear that neither Mr. Buhari nor Mr. Idiagbon was the initiator of the coup that toppled Shagari. They were, however, the greatest beneficiaries of the plot, courtesy of their supposed integrity and decency. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Against_Indiscipline
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunde_Idiagbon

Mr. Buhari was said to have been invited to head the government as a way of adding the much needed legitimacy to the desire of the military adventurists in power who initiated and executed the coup. Buhari was said to have accepted to lead the government only on the condition that he would be given the absolute liberty to select his deputy. Because Mr. Buhari was so needed, he was allowed to make his choice and the lot fell on Mr. Idiagbon because of their apparent compatibility in the realm of background, career path, supposed integrity, personality, and political philosophy.

That alluring working relationship saw Idiagbon dominating the government so well that for the first and only time in the political history of Nigeria, the names of the head and his deputy were used to refer to the administration as the Buhari/Idiagbon regime, even when the Head of State did not pass on while in office.

During those days, Idiagbon was so popular to the extent that I thought he was the HNIC (Head Nigga In Charge) only for me to later realize that Buhari was the Head of State. Back then, the name “Idiagbon” was synonymous to Koboko, I believe his regime greatly influenced the Nigerian Army who are notorious for their brutality, this is a theory formulated by me though.

New York Times on August 10, 1984 reported the War Against Indiscipline campaign. It was written by Clifford D. May and titled “NIGERIA'S DISCIPLINE CAMPAIGN: NOT SPARING THE ROD”. Get the full scoop here:
https://www.nytimes.com/1984/08/10/world/nigeria-s-discipline-campaign-not-sparing-the-rod.html

Re: How Tunde Idiagbon Instilled Discipline In Derailing Nigerians by TemplarLandry: 2:45pm On Nov 05, 2023
With the degree of lawlessness in our polity, we need to be handled with iron hands. His Excellency, President Bolanle Adekunle Tinubu, GCFR should introduce War Against Indiscipline 2.0 for our resilient nature makes it hard for us to follow rules and be orderly.
Re: How Tunde Idiagbon Instilled Discipline In Derailing Nigerians by Infojames: 2:46pm On Nov 05, 2023
The name Buhari ring bell
Re: How Tunde Idiagbon Instilled Discipline In Derailing Nigerians by RepoMan007: 2:54pm On Nov 05, 2023
Yoruba and cultural banditry.
Re: How Tunde Idiagbon Instilled Discipline In Derailing Nigerians by CJStarz: 6:17pm On Nov 16, 2023
Oh my! He was a young man o but in the eye of a child I saw him as an elderly man.
Indeed he was the engine room of the Buhari regime but Buhari took all d glory. Most of us voted for Buhari thinking he would reenact the magic of his military administration but whossai....it was a total flop.

Pls op,can you brief us on what killed this great man,Tunde Idiagbon? A man who spoke less but was full of action.

1 Like

Re: How Tunde Idiagbon Instilled Discipline In Derailing Nigerians by Racoon(m): 6:29pm On Nov 16, 2023
The operational policy of an undesired illegitimate regime that foisted itself via a military coup whose stock in trade is introducing tyranny, fascist state and ethno-religion supremacist agent with the infamous decree 2 and 4 of the 1984-85 era that abused human rights is what this kid is asking back via a man that is all shade of anything lawless, illegitimate and criminality.

Same band of political rugues, brigands, gangsters, lawless super criminal minded people that insulted not only the person, but office and family of sitting president just to gain political power are the ones talking of social discipline.

Despite that, Buhari and Tinubu government are marked with unimaginable corruption, abuse of court orders, spurning of the constitution, executive rascality. SMH

(1) (Reply)

Uzodinma Wins!!!!! / Tinubu Not My Enemy, We Disagree Politically – Afenifere Leader, Ayo Adebanjo / Yahaya Bello Freezes Kogi State Govt Accounts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.