Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,259 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:54 AM

Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? (5036 Views)

How To Prepare Egusi Soup - - The Ultimate Guide / A Picture Of Vincent Enyeama Cooking Okro Soup / How To Cook Delicious Achi And Okazi Soup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by bebe2(f): 2:35pm On Oct 26, 2011
with the level of poverty and hunger in nigeria.
are there fixed points were homeless or hungry pple can go have
a meal.

who do you think should be running programes like these?
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by Freiburger(m): 2:51pm On Oct 26, 2011
bebe2:

a meal.

I think the churches should be doing thing like that.
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by bebe2(f): 3:02pm On Oct 26, 2011
bebe2:

a meal.

dats d problem its very shameful.
pple have lost human feelings.
they can drive their jeeps pass a woman with a new born baby begging for food.
it wont even cross their mind to think wat the can do to help the situation.

but pple have been brain washed so much they cant even think for themselves anymore
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by Wallie(m): 3:57pm On Oct 26, 2011
I posted something along the same lines a while ago in a different post.

Wallie:

Does anyone know of any social program in Nigeria that serves food (cooked or uncooked) to the needy? As you can see, even first world countries are having a hard time dealing with this economic downturn and it is only going to get worse especially in Nigeria if the fuel subsidy is removed.

Here's a video on Britain's food poverty
http://cnn.com/video/?/video/business/2011/10/10/rivers-uk-food-poverty.cnn

Hunger Statistics on the use of Emergency Food Assistance and Federal Food Assistance Programs in the US
•   In 2009, 4.8 percent of all U.S. households (5.6 million households) accessed emergency food from a food pantry one or more times.

•   In 2009, food insecure (low food security or very low food security) households were 15 times more likely than food-secure households to have obtained food from a food pantry.

•   In 2009, food insecure (low food security or very low food security) households were 19 times more likely than food-secure households to have eaten a meal at an emergency kitchen.

•   In 2009, 57 percent of food-insecure households participated in at least one of the three major Federal food assistance programs –Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (formerly Food Stamp Program), The National School Lunch Program, and the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children.

•   Feeding America provides emergency food assistance to an estimated 37 million low-income people annually, a 46 percent increase from 25 million since Hunger In America 2006.

•   Feeding America provides emergency food assistance to approximately 5.7 million different people per week.

•   Among members of Feeding America, 74 percent of pantries, 65 percent of kitchens, and 54 percent of shelters reported that there had been an increase since 2006 in the number of clients who come to their emergency food program sites.

There are people out there in need of help and we can’t always leave everything to the government. If those of us that are fortunate are not helping, who will? To me, being a good Christian, Muslim, or human being is about helping people in need just because they are humans.

I pray to one day own such a secular tribal-neutral facility as a way of giving back.
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by rhymz(m): 4:35pm On Oct 26, 2011
these are things that one would have expected rligious organizations, especially the churches to do but you and I know what our churches have become these days( just another avenue for con men to make money).
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by abiamahart: 6:39pm On Oct 26, 2011
@bebe2
While its a novel idea. Note some of this women are professional beggars. No matter what you give or chose to get them a job they always preffer begging - Free Money and outright LAZYNESS. They just exploit your compassion

One woman in my area at the junction had twins and was begging at the junction even in the rain. Suddenly she is pregnant again and now has a baby boy additional to the twin girls. All again at the junction. When i didn't see her again and asked for her whereabouts i was told she was finally reported to KAI who whisked her away.
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 26, 2011
I guess that's wat our churches shud be doin, building free schools, hospitals, free healthcare, and oda things like dat, just adding their two cents, rather than buying jets for "missions in Africa" while Nigerians grapple with property,
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by tEsLim(m): 9:50pm On Oct 26, 2011
I beg when did the churches become NGO's? Abi which levels? They are established for profit reasons tithes and offerings so you want them to then throw this money at beggars? Beggar giving out to beggar? Its impossible na.
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by DOGIDOPE: 10:22pm On Oct 26, 2011
iya basira,mama nkechi or hajia should be the one to run it grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by LadyT(f): 11:51pm On Oct 26, 2011
Great idea sadly those who are not so needy will be hogging the place. It takes one superstious idiot to start claiming people who eat at the soup kitchens are used as sacrifice.

But that shouldnt stop people who truely want to do it. Just to ready for the nonsense that follows
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by iukpe: 7:42am On Oct 27, 2011
I agree greatly that the Churches should come together to sponsor this kind of idea to assist the needy irrespective of religion, tribe or race. There maybe small programs similar to this within the churches but if churches put the huge money spent on building massive, expensive cathedrals and worship centers, purchase of Jets and other flamboyant things on reaching out to the needy across the country and assisting the poor in receiving medical care for instance, providing scholarships, the results would be a miracle to the lives they would touch and to the Glory of God.
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by shagaman: 9:10am On Oct 27, 2011
The question is how many people would non-governmental organisations feed? from statistics from the US there is trmendious increase
at the rate people go these food stamp homes,how do youknow who is geniunely in need?

Nigeria is not structured for these kind of guesture my people Nigerians wey i know would misuse it.
He/she who needs help can seek help thru there pastors/Imam who can channel such request to the congregation
I believe that can work a little bit,atleast people go to TB Joshua.

The Economic situation is terrible,i really dont blame people who dont like helping,one doesnt really know what they have been thru helping people.
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by bebe2(f): 10:15am On Oct 27, 2011
All very useful points.
all pastors should be made accountable,
if u r preaching to me about God's love etc you should show it in ur action.
wat about, providing school meal for children in a particular school close to ur church, or
providing a nice tv or play equipment for kids in hospital.

there are thousand and one thing they can do.
we say oyinbo no know God but na dem do good pass and they do it without expecting anything back
if you say thank you oo, GOD will bless you, dem go say i dnt believe in God. lol
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by bebe2(f): 10:26am On Oct 27, 2011
Wallie:

I posted something along the same lines a while ago in a different post.

just watched the video, very inspiring.
i use to work at great ormond street children's hospital, pple would just come in and give us a cheque,
wen kids die some parent's would ask sympathisers to donate to the hospital or to a particular ward.
that how the hospital have lots of money to buy toys and video game even throw birthday parties for the kids.

the have a hotel close by, were parents go to have a rest from all the hospital wahala, a private company pays for it.
we dnt even know the name.

then we go dey wonder why God dey bless oyinbo.
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by Okijajuju1(m): 11:07am On Oct 27, 2011
@ O.P

I am going to attack this question from different angles just so we can all start reasoning broadly about this issue;

ARE THERE SOUP KITCHENS IN NIGERIA?!

ANSWER:: The answer is a flat NO!!

Charity in Nigeria is still an alien concept to us. Many people who indulge in charity work (NGO's) do it for selfish reasons (Tax evasion, self enrichment, money laundering, popularity, press-time, e.t.c).

I will start with the company in which I work. They are on the top 3 largest oil companies operating in Nigeria. They have built several orphanages, homes and things like that. Everytime they participate in charity work, pictures are taken and splashed all over the media. Just three months ago, we paid a visit to a home and supplied them with over 30 bags of rice, diapers, detergents and beverages. Then as usual pictures were taken. Now this is good (cos atleast they would have rice to eat), but then I thought to myself, we can do way much more than this and it wouldnt even cost us that much. Rather than stuff them with rice, why not give out a contract to a catering company to provide food for (say 500 people in 3 different homes) at a price and we can call it part of our coporate responsibilty. We have no problems doling out millions to communities for doing nothing yet all we can do is this 200 thousand Naira charity?! NO!!

What about the churches?! The very first week I landed in Canada with my family, we were walking aroud in downtown Hamilton when I noticed a Salvation Army food van parked in a corner and was handing out food, sugar, medical supplies and blankets to the homeless people in the streets. I was so facinated that I started discussing it with my folks and was even pointing to it when one white lady over-heard us and said "Yes!! go over and have some, its free". Apparently she thought because we were a large black family we were homeless (Fuc'king racist bastard. . lol), but I thought it was really nice, Now in Nigeria, how hard is it for the churches to set up shops where people can bring in their old clothes, toys, and what have you so that the less priviledged in the society can come in and get them at a very cheap rate or even for free. Everyday you hear of a crusade here or that they have just opened a multi-billion naira church building or they just acquired a new jet, yet you do not hear a word about the charuty that they are doing.

Lets transfer it to the government. When all the homes get the most attention and supplies ever are during election periods. Who can forget when the First lady brought in over two trailers of rice just for campaign purposes. Now what you would realise is that the same applys to every other politician. When election time comes, that the only time they remember the less priviledged. When once they are elected into offices like their election promises, everything is forgotten.

Now to the general population, We just dont have the spirit of charity in us as a nation. Associations like the boys scouts, girls guild, red cross, rotary club and co are all but non-existent. They have all faded into obscurity. People are more interested in collecting than giving. Even I am guilty of this. I have never done any charitable deed in my life. If not for this thread, It doesnt even cross my mind. Even the beggers in traffic dont even compel compassion in me. It is like every emotion and compassion in me has been so surpressed I dont even think I could be charitable to myself.

In conclusion, we in Nigeria dont have the spirit of charity. The beggers themselves have also become sort of professionals at it. They have deviced different gimmicks to compel us to give. SOme use the babies, the fulani abi Niger republic refugess use their wives and kids, the kids on the street now do windshield washing in traffic, the northern guys on skate borads now even control traffic just to get money. We need to first of all awaken the humanity in us as a nation and then things would start to look up. If we feel compasion towards one another, it would reflct in our governance, our day to day lives and corruption would drop drastically.
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by seyibrown(f): 11:51am On Oct 27, 2011
Nigerians still have and have always been charitable. It is what hss brought so many people this far, considering that there is little or no help from the government for the masses. The culture of 'organised' charity such as 'soup kitchens' might not be existent, but there are many neighbours (and even strangers) who feed and clothe other neighbours, who lend them money when they are in need, who provide shelter, who pay the school fees of people they are not even related to.

Many Nigerians survive on the 'unorganised unrecognised unpublicised' charitable deeds of fellow Nigerians. We may not have Soup Kitchens but we give more than food.
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by Cool: 4:39pm On Oct 27, 2011
RCCG Apapa family operates a 'soup kitchen'.
Every Sunday, the different branches under this group organise themselves and go to strategic locations to give out food.

The traditional soup kitchen operates from a specific location which people go to for food but here, the churches go to where the people are to give out food.

Different mode of operations but same intent, I would say.

We just need to look closer, I'm sure there will be other varieties.
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by bebe2(f): 5:58pm On Oct 27, 2011
Cool:

RCCG Apapa family operates a 'soup kitchen'.
Every Sunday, the different branches under this group organise themselves and go to strategic locations to give out food.

The traditional soup kitchen operates from a specific location which people go to for food but here, the churches go to where the people are to give out food.

Different mode of operations but same intent, I would say.

We just need to look closer, I'm sure there will be other varieties.

glad to know, but thats not enough, i am a member of RCCG in manchester.
know to the point, if the order comes from the top asking all redeem churches to do the same the impact will be better felt.
seyibrown:

Nigerians still have and have always been charitable. It is what hss brought so many people this far, considering that there is little or no help from the government for the masses. The culture of 'organised' charity such as 'soup kitchens' might not be existent, but there are many neighbours (and even strangers) who feed and clothe other neighbours, who lend them money when they are in need, who provide shelter, who pay the school fees of people they are not even related to.

Many Nigerians survive on the 'unorganised unrecognised unpublicised' charitable deeds of fellow Nigerians. We may not have Soup Kitchens but we give more than food.

thats not enough, we need bigger organisations, churches, companies etc.
Okija_juju:

@ O.P

I am going to attack this question from different angles just so we can all start reasoning broadly about this issue;

ARE THERE SOUP KITCHENS IN NIGERIA?!

ANSWER:: The answer is a flat NO!!

Charity in Nigeria is still an alien concept to us. Many people who indulge in charity work (NGO's) do it for selfish reasons (Tax evasion, self enrichment, money laundering, popularity, press-time, e.t.c).

I will start with the company in which I work. They are on the top 3 largest oil companies operating in Nigeria. They have built several orphanages, homes and things like that. Everytime they participate in charity work, pictures are taken and splashed all over the media. Just three months ago, we paid a visit to a home and supplied them with over 30 bags of rice, diapers, detergents and beverages. Then as usual pictures were taken. Now this is good (cos atleast they would have rice to eat), but then I thought to myself, we can do way much more than this and it wouldnt even cost us that much. Rather than stuff them with rice, why not give out a contract to a catering company to provide food for (say 500 people in 3 different homes) at a price and we can call it part of our coporate responsibilty. We have no problems doling out millions to communities for doing nothing yet all we can do is this 200 thousand Naira charity?! NO!!

What about the churches?! The very first week I landed in Canada with my family, we were walking aroud in downtown Hamilton when I noticed a Salvation Army food van parked in a corner and was handing out food, sugar, medical supplies and blankets to the homeless people in the streets. I was so facinated that I started discussing it with my folks and was even pointing to it when one white lady over-heard us and said "Yes!! go over and have some, its free". Apparently she thought because we were a large black family we were homeless (Fuc'king racist bastard. . lol), but I thought it was really nice, Now in Nigeria, how hard is it for the churches to set up shops where people can bring in their old clothes, toys, and what have you so that the less priviledged in the society can come in and get them at a very cheap rate or even for free. Everyday you hear of a crusade here or that they have just opened a multi-billion naira church building or they just acquired a new jet, yet you do not hear a word about the charuty that they are doing.

Lets transfer it to the government. When all the homes get the most attention and supplies ever are during election periods. Who can forget when the First lady brought in over two trailers of rice just for campaign purposes. Now what you would realise is that the same applys to every other politician. When election time comes, that the only time they remember the less priviledged. When once they are elected into offices like their election promises, everything is forgotten.

Now to the general population, We just dont have the spirit of charity in us as a nation. Associations like the boys scouts, girls guild, red cross, rotary club and co are all but non-existent. They have all faded into obscurity. People are more interested in collecting than giving. Even I am guilty of this. I have never done any charitable deed in my life. If not for this thread, It doesnt even cross my mind. Even the beggers in traffic dont even compel compassion in me. It is like every emotion and compassion in me has been so surpressed I dont even think I could be charitable to myself.

In conclusion, we in Nigeria dont have the spirit of charity. The beggers themselves have also become sort of professionals at it. They have deviced different gimmicks to compel us to give. SOme use the babies, the fulani abi Niger republic refugess use their wives and kids, the kids on the street now do windshield washing in traffic, the northern guys on skate borads now even control traffic just to get money. We need to first of all awaken the humanity in us as a nation and then things would start to look up. If we feel compasion towards one another, it would reflect in our governance, our day to day lives and corruption would drop drastically.

thank God, you totally get my point in all areas.
wen i lived in lagos, for the first few months i was so distressed my brother use to send me lagos island and i would spend all his change on beggars. i cudnt bear to see those oily hair babies in the blazing sun.
but after sometime i lost that sensitivity, it became normal, which is wat is happening to most nigerians.

PPLE should stand up and ask questions, no more suffering and smiling.
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by Amjustme: 9:13pm On Oct 27, 2011
SOUP KITCHEN ke!!! nothing in nigeria like dat o! I see people saying churches but its not only churches who shld be doing dat, infact muslims too shld think of that cos of d rising no of almajiris(who are mostly muslims). Also Philantropists shld see d soup kitchens as projects( just that in nigeria, i dont knw who i can call a philantropist, na Rochas dey try well b4 his appointment as governor).
Re: Are There Soup Kitchens In Nigeria? by bebe2(f): 9:26pm On Oct 27, 2011
Am just me:

SOUP KITCHEN ke!!! nothing in nigeria like dat o! I see people saying churches but its not only churches who shld be doing dat, infact muslims too shld think of that cos of d rising no of almajiris(who are mostly muslims). Also Philantropists shld see d soup kitchens as projects( just that in nigeria, i dont knw who i can call a philantropist, na Rochas dey try well b4 his appointment as governor).

who be Rochas?
the reason why i said church is becos they seem to ask and get a lot of money.

i havent heard of any imam that has a private jeep. grin grin

(1) (Reply)

I Bought The Fake Milo Going Around Nigerian Markets(pics) / WE SHARE FLYERS, LEAFLETS & STICKERS IN LAGOS, NIGERIA. / Picture Of Pu**y Water

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.