Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Motorists, Commuters Decry Extortion On Lagos Highways - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Motorists, Commuters Decry Extortion On Lagos Highways (366 Views)

Police Officers Enforcing Tinted Glass Permit Caught Flogging Motorists (Pics) / Commuters Stranded As Bandits Take Over Abuja-Kaduna Highway (Video) / Motorists & Commuters Groan As Robbers Take Over Lagos Bridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Motorists, Commuters Decry Extortion On Lagos Highways by Omooba77: 12:07pm On Nov 09, 2023
Motorists and commuters in Iyana-Ipaja, Alakuko, and Third Mainland Bridge in Lagos State have decried alleged incessant attacks and extortion by some suspected miscreants whenever their vehicles developed faults on the highway.

The motorists, who spoke with PUNCH Metro on Tuesday, noted that the miscreants are in the habit of extorting money from them, causing damage to vehicles, and in some instances, attacking them whenever their vehicles develop faults on the highway.

Some of the motorists who spoke with our correspondent said that rather than offering to help whenever their vehicles developed faults, these miscreants would ask them to pay for the faulty vehicle, often called “owo omotaku.”

A motorist on the Adeniji-Adele end of the Third Mainland Bridge, Rotimi Henry, recounted how he had to part with his money before he could be allowed to fix his flat tire on the highway.

He said, “I am a victim of the miscreants’ menace on the Third Mainland Bridge and at Ijora Bridge, respectively. The Third Mainland Bridge incident occurred on a Thursday afternoon. I had a flat tyre, so I stopped to change the tyre. Before I knew what was happening, about six boys had surrounded me. I even thought they wanted to assist me, but one of them said my money was N50,000.

“I replied jokingly, ‘You say wetin? ( what did you say)’ He responded, ‘You think they are joking? That no police will stop to rescue me.’ I was like, seriously? They didn’t even allow me to work on changing my tire until I paid them their money. I was able to cough up N15,000 before they allowed me.

“The Ijora Bridge incident was on a Sunday morning. My battery was having issues, which I was trying to resolve. So the car goes off on that bridge that Sunday morning. Before I knew what was happening, about four boys surrounded me, saying that since I had opened my bonnet, I had to pay N25,000. I asked for what?’

“One of them nearly punched me if not that I waved it off. There were police and other security officers around, and they were the ones telling me to give them their money, or else they would vandalise my car. I had to start begging and calling people to solicit money. I paid N20,000 to those boys before they allowed the technician I called to work on the car.”

A trader, Esther Badmus, noted that anytime she is conveying her goods from Ogun to Lagos State, she is always scared of passing through Alakuko axis of the Lagos-Abeokuta Expressway because the miscreants will demand money from them, and if they fail to pay, they can resort to damaging their vehicles.

She said, “What we are experiencing on Lagos roads is hell. Before you can transport your goods to the market successfully, you must plan for the money of the miscreants who are not offering any services for you. Anytime they spot any vehicle with goods, they will come out in their numbers and start shouting, ‘Where is our money?’ If you refuse to give them, they can remove your wiper or damage your side mirror. They don’t care if your goods get spoiled or not. It is even worse when your vehicle develops a fault; they will ask you to pay owo omotaku.”

She appealed to the Lagos State Government to come to the aid of road users and rid the highways of these miscreants, whom she described as having no tangible contributions to society, rather than causing pain to road users.

“We are appealing to the government to help us get these miscreants off the highway because they are only causing pain to the people with no meaningful contribution to society,” she said

Contacted, the Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer, Benjamin Hundeyin, asked our reporter to send a text but did not respond as of the time of filing this report.

https://punchng.com/motorists-commuters-decry-extortion-on-lagos-highways/
Re: Motorists, Commuters Decry Extortion On Lagos Highways by Omooba77: 12:13pm On Nov 09, 2023
There were police and other security officers around, and they were the ones telling me to give them their money, or else they would vandalise my car. I had to start begging and calling people to solicit money. I paid N20,000 to those boys before they allowed the technician I called to work on the car.”

The bolded makes you known, police will collect their cut......

1 Like

Re: Motorists, Commuters Decry Extortion On Lagos Highways by BOSSkesh(m): 12:26pm On Nov 09, 2023
Police and extortion
Please just try and understand
Give them and pass
Re: Motorists, Commuters Decry Extortion On Lagos Highways by Ondoterrorist: 12:45pm On Nov 09, 2023
Yoruba and dirty lifestyle, when will they learn
Re: Motorists, Commuters Decry Extortion On Lagos Highways by Omooba77: 1:22pm On Nov 09, 2023
BOSSkesh:
Police and extortion
Please just try and understand
Give them and pass

Police are really behind most crimes, because nicking before it buds is crucial......
Re: Motorists, Commuters Decry Extortion On Lagos Highways by Chicagograduate(m): 3:10pm On Nov 09, 2023
This miscreants in Lagos are given free hand to be lawless because they are use by Tinubu to assault voters during election.Most of us saw what MC oluomo and his miscreants did to voters during the governorship election in Lagos.
Even the police cannot arrest them.
Re: Motorists, Commuters Decry Extortion On Lagos Highways by Omooba77: 3:40pm On Nov 09, 2023
Chicagograduate:
This miscreants in Lagos are given free hand to be lawless because they are use by Tinubu to assault voters during election.Most of us saw what MC oluomo and his miscreants did to voters during the governorship election in Lagos.
Even the police cannot arrest them.
Police is your friend.....
Re: Motorists, Commuters Decry Extortion On Lagos Highways by Angrigowt: 7:48am On Nov 10, 2023
Tom and Jerry. U can see how useless the npf are. They will be thr watching from corner and summon courage to show and also plead with u to pay them .or . Or what.
Or...
Or kill npf thr. Ole very useless set of baboons...U can imagine agbado urchins doing this on a daily. Paying agbado urchins a huge token . Una for jus dey drive the flats like that,rather than parting with 15k,30k. Shey na lastma

Unless your car do overheating. If not jus free the
car for mainland bridge,put gear for neutral make e dey move..agbado miscreants are ready to steal,kill and lastly damage your car. Bee tru this b4.i lost my side mirror and back light glass to these bastards. They are armed,dangerous,hungry,24/7 angry, on colos set of bastards.
Re: Motorists, Commuters Decry Extortion On Lagos Highways by Omooba77: 8:55am On Nov 10, 2023
Angrigowt:
Tom and Jerry. U can see how useless the npf are. They will be thr watching from corner and summon courage to show and also plead with u to pay them .or . Or what.
Or...
Or kill npf thr. Ole. U can imagine agbado urchins doing this on a daily. Paying agbado urchins a huge token . Una for jus dey drive the flats like that,rather than parting with 15k,30k. Shey na lastma
Very pathetic.....
Re: Motorists, Commuters Decry Extortion On Lagos Highways by Omooba77: 9:55am On Nov 10, 2023
One day as I was driving on Third Mainland Bridge with my wife and ask her, where do these miscreants come from, are they spirits? If your car breakdown, in 3 minutes they we surface........
Re: Motorists, Commuters Decry Extortion On Lagos Highways by Reelmii: 11:54am On Nov 10, 2023
Lagos na wah grin
Re: Motorists, Commuters Decry Extortion On Lagos Highways by dru23(m): 12:03pm On Nov 10, 2023
Angrigowt:
Or...
Or kill npf thr. Ole very useless set of baboons...U can imagine agbado urchins doing this on a daily. Paying agbado urchins a huge token . Una for jus dey drive the flats like that,rather than parting with 15k,30k. Shey na lastma

Unless your car do overheating. If not jus free the
car for mainland bridge,put gear for neutral make e dey move..agbado miscreants are ready to steal,kill and lastly damage your car. Bee tru this b4.i lost my side mirror and back light glass to these bastards. They are armed,dangerous,hungry,24/7 angry, on colos set of bastards.
https://www.nairaland.com/7903453/announcement#126841821
Re: Motorists, Commuters Decry Extortion On Lagos Highways by Omooba77: 8:47am On Nov 12, 2023
I saw police in action yesterday....
Re: Motorists, Commuters Decry Extortion On Lagos Highways by HenryWilliams(m): 12:26pm On Nov 12, 2023
Omooba77:
One day as I was driving on Third Mainland Bridge with my wife and ask her, where do these miscreants come from, are they spirits? If your car breakdown, in 3 minutes they we surface........

Under the bridge..
Please and please,
For no reason should you stop on 3MB to fix your car..
If it's still movable. Drive it till you get to either Adekunle or Oworonsoki..
Only in emergency cases like severe overheating should you stop the car .
Those people rob, maim and even kill.

(1) (Reply)

Soldiers Uncover Hamas Tunnels Shaft In A Gaza Mosque / Wicked World! How Tenant Planned Killed Community’s President General In Anambra / Guide Your Solar Panel: Lagos Lady Warns As Theft Surges Amid Energy Crisis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.