Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,337 members, 7,819,187 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:24 PM

Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? (32151 Views)

Wole Soyinka & Wife Folake, Step Out For Mo Abudu's Movie / Wole Soyinka's Daughter (Iyetade) Dies At UCH Ibadan / Collection Of Old Pictures Of Founding Fathers Of Nigerian Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by emmatok(m): 10:31pm On Nov 23, 2011
Some people don't know the diffidence between FRATERNITY and[b] CULTISM.[/b]

Wole Soyinka started a FRATERNITY.

Most Universities world-wide have FRATERNITIES.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by presido1: 10:50pm On Nov 23, 2011
Irunmole:

NAS a.k.a Pyrates Confraternity is non-existent in primary, secondary or tertiary institutions in Nigeria and indeed anywhere in the world as they were proscribed in June 1985 on all university campuses. Get your facts right! And which "our university" are you talking about if I may ask?
Highlighted is laughable dudu. 1999-2000 Prof was at NAU, i have the picture, i dont want to show some faces that might be NL members. 2002 he was at UI and even last year he was at Enugu convention which was attended by undergraduates from various uni's.

Look all the sailors now claim that they don't have uni levels but thats all BS.

emmatok:

Some people don't know the diffidence between FRATERNITY and[b] CULTISM.[/b]
Wole Soyinka started a FRATERNITY.
Most Universities world-wide have FRATERNITIES.
The frat he started metamophosized into cult. He has good intention but the idea was hijacked when they kicked some members out. Those kicked out formed a rival group (Buccaneers) and the fight for supremacy turned everything upside down.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by CARLISTO77(m): 1:11am On Nov 24, 2011
And who told you that the word "Cultism" doesn't exist?
I beseech you to dig sedulously better into your Dictionary, right ?
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by Solozzo(m): 1:12am On Nov 24, 2011
Any group that has strong fraternity bonds and sworn to fight evil against members is very likely to develop into a gangster group especially if there is a society with poor justice systems and strong belief in traditional medicine powers. No one can remember when these fraternity groups were not seen as campus terrors. That is the method they used to influence campus politics, fight injustice and strenghthen  bonds in future. Soyinka had a strong and stubborn personality, and in his younger days, probably would use any means to fight evil, including aggression. After all his name was never Saint Wole. With more maturity he became more peaceable.

That is my take.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by PointB: 1:27am On Nov 24, 2011
Solozzo:

Any group that has strong fraternity bonds and sworn to fight evil against members is very likely to develop into a gangster group especially if there is a society with poor justice systems and strong belief in traditional medicine powers. No one can remember when these fraternity groups were not seen as campus terrors. That is the method they used to influence campus politics, fight injustice and strenghthen  bonds in future. Soyinka had a strong and stubborn personality, and in his younger days, probably would use any means to fight evil, including aggression. After all his name was never Saint Wole. With more maturity he became more peaceable.

That is my take.

+10
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by mbulela: 8:16am On Nov 24, 2011
Solozzo:

Any group that has strong fraternity bonds and sworn to fight evil against members is very likely to develop into a gangster group especially if there is a society with poor justice systems and strong belief in traditional medicine powers. No one can remember when these fraternity groups were not seen as campus terrors. That is the method they used to influence campus politics, fight injustice and strenghthen bonds in future. Soyinka had a strong and stubborn personality, and in his younger days, probably would use any means to fight evil, including aggression. After all his name was never Saint Wole. With more maturity he became more peaceable.

That is my take.

+20
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by JamesDoe: 8:17am On Nov 24, 2011
@OP

If the reason for your question is whether to join pyrates or whatever - then the answer is no!

Stay away from these groups and face your books and normal student interactions!

1 Like

Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by airlord: 9:12am On Nov 24, 2011
Wole Soyinka is one of the 7 original members of pyrates confraternity which signalled the beginning of fraternities which our society refers to as cultism,
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by gigabytes: 9:43am On Nov 24, 2011
Who no belong anywhere make im tell me now and I will prove it that one group, ideology, religion, affinity et all everybody belong. Bible say where ur treasure dey, na their ur heart dey also. U wey be Muslim, u dey pay zadakat, Christian tithe, all na religious/affinity group, we wey believe in Christ too, fit do anything, we dey sell our homes to gie out. The only solution is that whatever you believe hold it well, do not allow foreign thought to take it away from you. Jesus is Lord. Jesu Loluwa. Amin.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by igahdavid(m): 9:46am On Nov 24, 2011

The Original Seven, at Tedder Hall Quadrangle, University College Ibadan. From left: Wole Soyinka, Ikpehare Aig-Imoukhuede, Sylvanus Egbuche, Pius Oleghe, Nathaniel Oyelola, Muyiwa Awe, Ralph Opara

Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by Coldsteel(m): 9:50am On Nov 24, 2011
Yeah yeah yeah, he's not this.hes not that.he didnt plan it dat way, o yeah, pls then tell me what the socalled original pyrates would do when a member is stepped on, dont they get initiated?wats the difrence with nowadays cultism?wat has he done against modern day cult aggressn?instead he is stil revered & a demi god 2 d frat, yes.wole soyinka is one of the founding fathers of cultism.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by SOLLYBOY1: 9:53am On Nov 24, 2011
During OPUTA PANEL; Soyinka said and i quote "The Pyrate Confraternity has been expel from the SEA-DOG CONFRAT, for anti-confrta activities" . What Wole was a founding member at UI then is no longer what we hv now, just like NANS that has become a tool in the hands of politicians; just like everyother thing in Nigeria, a shadow of its former self (Nigeria Police, Federal Road Safety Corps, NYSC, Universities, Education, WAEC-who recently released fake result on its site, ) just name it.

So it is not an issue of Soyinka But NIGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

God will help us sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by Nobody: 10:19am On Nov 24, 2011
wht soyinka started is cultism of d highest order in d first degree, People shuld stop talking frm ther nose. Fraternities d world over are formed for humanitarian & charitable purposes (in ther words) & will fight by any means neccessary to protect their intrest no mater hw trivial. For instance fightin against d opresion of a member or ther cronies. Wht wil happen if a non-pyrate is seen in a corner wt d girlfriend of a pyrate, d pyrates will go all out. D neo- movement of africa aka aye or wx also establihsed to fight opresion of d black race jst lyk d pyrates & bucaneers, same noni. Compare d motive, attitude, structure, origin, membership, inniatn, nicknames, branch names, logos, ideology et al & u wil see dat dey ar same wt varyin degrees of rascality, brutality, secrecy & identification.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by demoore1(m): 10:34am On Nov 24, 2011
Hahahahahah!!!! yoruba man!!! always giving excusess. WOLE SHOYINKA IS A CULTIST, If pyrate is to be doing very well, He would have claimed the success. Now it is bad, he is dissociating him self.     He is a cultist from every perspective you look at it and he is not even denying it. But our good for nothing yoruba NL are here fighting for the old cultist,
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by chino11(m): 10:37am On Nov 24, 2011
True true this guy is a cultist. But does it mean that this guy lied all the way for the white dogs to give him 'noble prize', Afterwards Achebe was countries ahead of him.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by Nobody: 10:39am On Nov 24, 2011
SOLLY_BOY:

During OPUTA PANEL; Soyinka said and i quote "The Pyrate Confraternity has been expel from the SEA-DOG CONFRAT, for anti-confrta activities" . What Wole was a founding member at UI then is no longer what we hv now, just like NANS that has become a tool in the hands of politicians; just like everyother thing in Nigeria, a shadow of its former self (Nigeria Police, Federal Road Safety Corps, NYSC, Universities, Education, WAEC-who recently released fake result on its site, ) just name it.

So it is not an issue of Soyinka But NIGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

God will help us sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
shut yr trap, So if evrthyn wer workin in Nigeria, d frats will nt be violent. Wole soyinka is an ardent believer in IFA. We all knw hw devilish traditional worship is, dat wht is replicated in wole soyinka's fraternity. Even d devil does some good, nt wtout repercusions & reverse effects anyway. NAS is a cult in all ramification of d word.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by chino11(m): 10:43am On Nov 24, 2011
igahdavid:

The Original Seven, at Tedder Hall Quadrangle, University College Ibadan. From left: Wole Soyinka, Ikpehare Aig-Imoukhuede, Sylvanus Egbuche, Pius Oleghe, Nathaniel Oyelola, Muyiwa Awe, Ralph Opara

Somebody should tell me what's this guy doing with picture of human-skull, Is it a sign of peace organization?
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by tpia5: 10:46am On Nov 24, 2011
@ picture

one nigeria.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by aribisala0(m): 11:40am On Nov 24, 2011
torhuke:

shut yr trap,  So if evrthyn wer workin in Nigeria, d frats will nt be violent. Wole soyinka is an ardent believer in IFA. We all knw hw devilish traditional worship is, dat wht is replicated in wole soyinka's fraternity. Even d devil does some good, nt wtout repercusions & reverse effects anyway. NAS is a cult in all ramification of d word.
i am an ardent believer in Ifa too and i don't know about this devilishness. devilishness is part of human nature and some of the greatest evils have been done in the name of foreign religions e'g in the name of Allah or christianity. Certainly the Slave Trade and Spanish Inquisition were all sanctioned by the European version of Jehovah
let us learn to respect various beliefs no one has seen God or the Devil
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by SOLLYBOY1: 11:48am On Nov 24, 2011
Look NL it has nothing to do with YORUBA, as one mumu is trying to claim, the orignal seven include a lot of non-yorubas, so tred with ya brain, anyway, i as much as am not an advocate of WOLE SOYINKA, who has obviously done better with his life than most of u online this moring, i just feel somebody need to find out the difference between CONFRATERNITY and CULTISM, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by DDN: 12:51pm On Nov 24, 2011
What Soyinka started is not the same as what is on the ground in Nigeria.

Fraternities exist in Universities aroun the world.

Bush (snr and Jnr), Clinton, Obama and Cameron all belonged to Fraternities in Universities.

In Nigeria, modern/current Fraternities (especially the unregistered ones) are just mostly evil.

You are absolutely right my brother. Is there any well meaning institution in Nigeria that has not been perverted? The church, the justice system, the government, educational institutions,etc. Why then are confraternities different?

Soyinka started an evil thing in Nigeria.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by DrummaBoy(m): 12:55pm On Nov 24, 2011
In d 60's Soyinka stuck up a radio station with a gun
That's similar 2 cultist action today
He formed a fraternity
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by DrummaBoy(m): 12:57pm On Nov 24, 2011
This fraternity had all d potential 2 becom cultic, and it did in latter yrs
I respect Soyinka but in this one he failed
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by okeyz(m): 1:52pm On Nov 24, 2011
WELL AS THEY SAY  - THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS,  - EVERYBODY HAS THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL , THAT IS ONE FREEDOM GOD HAS BESTOWED ON US  AND EACH PERSON WILL BE ACCOUNTABLE FOR HIS ACTIONS

as for Soyinka and pirates,  whatever was the intent for the creation of such group may be the product of the society they found themselves, THAT BEEN SAID WHAT IS EVIL IS EVIL and what is good is good any how you look at it, from the pics of the original founders, one of them is now a pastor or a minister, cos they was a war of words between Soyinka and the minister as to whether NAS is a cult, which was published on the guardian newspaper around 1999,in which the minister clearly said that the group do undergo some form of traditional rites which is synonymous with cultist activities and initiation.

Well what ever was the motive, ideology, credo for forming this group was greatly upheld by this seven youngster who have the same vision and objectives at that time, whatever they , are, which according to one poster here includes fighting injustice and oppressive government., for starters, you have to be crazy ,bold, fearless and a die hard for you to fight against constituted authority that brings oppression, unjust legal system on its subjects, be it in the tertiary institutions or in the larger society, it takes guts to do that,knowing that your life is on the line.

whatever happens in our tertiary institution is a reflection of the bigger society we live in, our system stinks of corruption in every facet of the Nigerian Life , Soyinka ,during his early days tried to fight against whatever injustice he perceived as oppression from the school authorities, even in his old age and till date , he still fights and talks against successive corrupt and unjust government in what ever form he can, pyrate or no pyrate!!!

But unfortunately , the youngsters of today do not share such vision, every body is trying to belong - conformity!, i am not in any way saying that cultism or pirates is good thing , hell no, its worst thing that has happened in the history of Nigerian tertiary institutions and should be eradicated - you don't have to be a pirate or any other "Frat" to add value to the society , what we need now is people with Vision.

Saying soyinka is the founding father of cultism is doing him a deservice, of course he might have started pyrate as a group but successive groups that formed after that spiraled into secret cults just to gain relevance in the society  by any means necessary and a willing tool for destructive politicians and corrupt government, afterall there pastors that performs healing miracles but there are fake, wolves in sheep clothing.

any body can form a group but what is the objective of forming such group?, like i said before , the devil is in the details - if you look very well you see all is not what it seems to be.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by aribisala0(m): 2:26pm On Nov 24, 2011
is this not the same wole soyinka that spent time in prison for his visit to biafra.?
how many of these cultists will go to prison for any ideals.
it is hard to explain to young people who never schooled outside nigeria what a fraternity is but i believe that pyrates when it was formed was registered and recognized by the authorities that is a fundamental difference
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by kjhova(m): 2:29pm On Nov 24, 2011
knw hw devilish traditional worship is

Don't offend us with your religious bigotry @Torhuke! In your next post, kindly itemise the devilish things in Ifa worship. I bet you the list will not be near as lengthy as what we shall give you on Christianity or Islam. But it's not your fault thou, our generation is a victim of a hundred years of colonial lies.

If you link Ifa to the National Asso of Seadogs and thus claim proof of the devilishness of the religion, should we not use the same logic to demonise your Christianity? Knowing how groups like Freemasons, brotherhood of cross n star, order of the knight Templar etc originated from the faith

These groups became far richer and more influential than Soyinka's pirates and wrecked more havoc on humanity than our Soyinka ever did. Yet many of their members are still held in high esteem by some ignorant xtians today who will freely condemn the Ifa divinity or Soyinka's involvement with NAS piracy. Did you not hear of George Washington's masonic involvement?

Even today, across the globe, Fraternities and Sororities exist in almost all campuses. The truth, as many posted earlier, is that Nigeria sank morally and every one of her institutions and groups with her!!
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by prettiest1(f): 2:50pm On Nov 24, 2011
I really hope when founding it, he didn't force people to join him.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by funextra20: 4:19pm On Nov 24, 2011
STUDY ABROAD
Get your POLAND,RUSSIA,GEORGIA,UKRAINE,SOUTH AFRICA(TOURIST)INVITATION

FOR STUDENT,CALL ME ON 07086591720, NO FORE PAYMENT , SCHOOL FEES

ON ARRIVAL, i am an individual, I HAVE BEING TO THIS COUNTRIES MYSELF AND

I PROCESSED IT MYSELF AND I CAN DO IT FOR YOU AT A TOKEN FEE, WHEN WE

MEET I SHOW YOUR PICTURES,AND I SPEAK RUSSIAN,POLISH.JUST CALL ,
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by kjhova(m): 4:41pm On Nov 24, 2011
@funextra20, on the contrary, the pirates had very stringent membership rules. They required a high CGPA as minimum entry, they had intellectual and literary tests and you had to conform to a strict code of behaviour and dressing. The underlying ideology was that of chivalry which instructed helping the poor, defending the weak and respect for women.

If you did not know this, it will be because of this generation you grew up in. The era in which all has gone insane, hell is let loose and things have fallen apart. Soyinka's noble idea of sorority was bastardized by later and lesser beings. But not he alone for Mary Slessor's noble chritianity, the British empire's democracy and Niger Coast constabulary (later, Nigeria Police Force) were all taken down the part of ignomy
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by tpia5: 6:43pm On Nov 24, 2011
They required a high CGPA as minimum entry

i dont think soyinka graduated with a high CGPA.

More likely they required coming from a rich background as minimum entry.

same still holds today as most cultists are from rich and influential families.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by DidiLove1: 7:24pm On Nov 24, 2011
It's actually comical when people hold myopic views about things they never actually bothered to broaden their acknowledge about.

www.nas-int.org is there for everyone to browse and get a better understanding of the National Association of Seadogs aka Pyrates Confraternity (note Pyrates not pirates as a lot of posters have written here).

How do you describe an organization as 'secret'

1. when it is duly registered with the Ministry of Internal Affairs ?
2. when it has over 25 zonal secretariats nation-wide situated in very visible locations in the states where they are?
3. when it holds a national convention once every year in the clear view of the watching (and interested) public?
4. when it constantly makes publicized and commendable donations to charitable causes?

and on and on. Na wa o!
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by HighChief4(m): 8:50pm On Nov 24, 2011
tpia@:

i dont think soyinka graduated with a high CGPA.

More likely they required coming from a rich background as minimum entry.

same still holds today as most cultists are from rich and influential families.

How do you know all these Tpia

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

New Stunning Photos Of Agbani Darego / Nigerian Police Couple Stun In Their Lovely Pre-wedding Photos / Laura Ikeji Slays In Swimsuit In France

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.