Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,132 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? (32142 Views)

Wole Soyinka & Wife Folake, Step Out For Mo Abudu's Movie / Wole Soyinka's Daughter (Iyetade) Dies At UCH Ibadan / Collection Of Old Pictures Of Founding Fathers Of Nigerian Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by matinos28(m): 9:51pm On Oct 26, 2011
Anyone who knows a thing about cultism in our higher institutions will know that they claim that the noble prize laurate professor Wole Soyinka was one of their founding fathers . how is true is that
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by inspirizu(m): 12:03am On Oct 27, 2011
Na so we dey hear am, Say na em start PIRATE (red cloth n skull symbols)
No be me talk am o
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by HighChief4(m): 1:49am On Oct 27, 2011
Thats not news
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by anishe(m): 5:45pm On Nov 23, 2011
Before nko?

He is cultism himself.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by 1forall: 5:57pm On Nov 23, 2011
But back in Soyinka's days the Pirates were just a fraternity, not a secret cult. They weren't into murder and violation and all the gangster stuff that we find them doing these days and we can't blame Soyinka for that.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by celebgist(f): 6:03pm On Nov 23, 2011
as rightly said by 1forall, he's 'allegedly' one of the founder of Pirates, a fraternity and not a secret cult
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by VoodooDoll(m): 6:12pm On Nov 23, 2011
What Soyinka started is not the same as what is on the ground in Nigeria.

Fraternities exist in Universities aroun the world.

Bush (snr and Jnr), Clinton, Obama and Cameron all belonged to Fraternities in Universities.

In Nigeria, modern/current Fraternities (especially the unregistered ones) are just mostly evil.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by chino11(m): 6:16pm On Nov 23, 2011
Does it mean that Soyinka is one of the major sponsors of some of these cult wars amongst confraternities in higher institutions?
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Nov 23, 2011
VoodooDoll:

What Soyinka started is not the same as what is on the ground in Nigeria.

Fraternities exist in Universities aroun the world.

Bush (snr and Jnr), Clinton, Obama and Cameron all belonged to Fraternities in Universities.

In Nigeria, modern/current Fraternities (especially the unregistered ones) are just mostly evil.

You are absolutely right my brother. Is there any well meaning institution in Nigeria that has not been perverted? The church, the justice system, the government, educational institutions,etc. Why then are confraternities different?
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by plaetton: 6:39pm On Nov 23, 2011
Aigbofa:

You are absolutely right my brother. Is there any well meaning institution in Nigeria that has not been perverted? The church, the justice system, the government, educational institutions,etc. Why then are confraternities different?

Just what I wanted to say. Sometimes I cannot understand how the Nigerian mind works. Fraternities are a healthy part University life all over the world. So If Soyinka founded a fraternity in his days, he was just doing his best to encourage a healthy educational process.

What we have in our universities now are not fraternites ,but gangsterism and banditry. lets call them what they are and deal with them as such.
Cults, even the most evil of them, have an idealogical goals that they strive to attain. In our campuses, we simply have armed robbers, rapist and thugs who have no iota of, let alone clinging to, any ideaology. These young people are simply reflecting the larger society of which they are part.
Anytime I hear the words cultism in schools, I get very angry because the authorities are hiding their heads in the sand. Gangsterism is what the proper name. Deal with them like they should be dealt with.

2 Likes

Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by KDULAR: 6:40pm On Nov 23, 2011
An Absolutely NO, forwhere ? how ? noway? Aigbofa and Plaetton, tell 'em
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by pheesayor(m): 6:45pm On Nov 23, 2011
The failure of successive governments to arrest the the menace has made it this big. From my research all of them claim they've left the university system but you still find them there. Some even go as low as secondary schools. Until government is sincere with this fight against cultism, it will continue.
The pyrate confraternity left the school system when rival copy cat envious bodies started springing up, mention any cultist clash in the past  years and you will never find pyrates mentioned.
Y'all should leave Professor Wole Soyinka alone
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by itiswell1(m): 6:52pm On Nov 23, 2011
Is there still pirate?
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by Rastamann: 6:54pm On Nov 23, 2011
Yes a seadog called NationalAssociation of Seadogs (NAS) and is presently registered internationally.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 7:06pm On Nov 23, 2011
chino11:

Does it mean that Soyinka is one of the major sponsors of some of these cult wars amongst confraternities in higher institutions?
he isnt
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Nov 23, 2011
Aigbofa:

Thank you for tagging it as 'gangsterism', the word 'cultism' was dubbed by the media and it is not even an English word anyway, at least not in a dictionary and I wonder where they dug that out from anyway. For the record, in schools there are Frat members and there are gangsters who did rubbish then claim to have 'become' and do what not - whatever jare.

@OP: na very dumb ?tn u ask o!
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by PointB: 7:45pm On Nov 23, 2011
1forall:

But back in Soyinka's days the Pirates were just a fraternity, not a secret cult. They weren't into murder and violation and all the gangster stuff that we find them doing these days and we can't blame Soyinka for that.

Cheering, so what was Pirate Fraternity into during Wole Soyinka days as founder?

1 Like

Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Nov 23, 2011
What we have in our universities now are not fraternites ,but gangsterism and banditry. lets call them what they are and deal with them as such.
Cults, even the most evil of them, have an idealogical goals that they strive to attain. In our campuses, we simply have armed robbers, despoiler and thugs who have no iota of, let alone clinging to, any ideaology. These young people are simply reflecting the larger society of which they are part.
Anytime I hear the words cultism in schools, I get very angry because the authorities are hiding their heads in the sand. Gangsterism is what the proper name. Deal with them like they should be dealt with

Thank you for tagging it as 'gangsterism', the word 'cultism' was dubbed by the media and it is not even an English word anyway, at least not in a dictionary and I wonder where they dug that out from anyway. For the record, in schools there are Frat members and there are gangsters who did rubbish then claim to have 'become' and do what not - whatever jare.

@OP: na very dumb ?tn u ask o!
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by executinal(m): 7:51pm On Nov 23, 2011
it is well:

Is there still pirate?
Yes They have changed their name to seadog (N.A.S)
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by executinal(m): 7:59pm On Nov 23, 2011
PointB:

Cheering, so what was Pirate Fraternity into during Wole Soyinka days as founder?

watch the youtube above for more details about Soyinka role
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9jaiJJbKd8
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by Kilode1: 8:02pm On Nov 23, 2011
We've Discussed this several times on NL. Wole Soyinka did NOT start cultism or university hooliganism in Nigeria.

University fraternities and Sororoties were not created by Soyinka, and they were not designed for gangsters and hooligans.

Soyinka started an ideological social club to push certain values and fight injustice.

Unfortunately, subsequent generations of Nigerian students, probably traumatized by years of violent harsh military rule, bastardized his good idea.

Soyinka did his part in the university as a young student and left, it's up to this new generation to do theirs. What organization have we formed to fight injustice?? Huh?

[flash=400,390]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9jaiJJbKd8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/flash]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9jaiJJbKd8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Watch Soyinka explaining what he did. Stop the misinformation abeg.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by kelz88(f): 8:06pm On Nov 23, 2011
Research before slating a good man. cry

SMH!
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by Irunmole(m): 8:43pm On Nov 23, 2011
Prof. Wole Soyinka is a living legend/member of the Original Seven of the Pyrates Confraternity a.k.a (NAS) and not "One Of The Founding Fathers of Cultism".

For the ignorant few; here are your answers.

Introduction To NAS
National Associaltion of Seadogs (NAS) is a Nigerian charitable and humanitarian organisation and is the registered name for the group also known as the PYRATES CONFRATERNITY.

The origins and growth of NAS is narrated in detail on the History page. It began as a University campus confraternity in the premier university, University of Ibadan, Nigeria and has grown into an international organisation with branches in 36 states of Nigeria including the Federal Capital Territory, South Africa, UK, Republic of Ireland, USA, Japan, The Netherlands and Canada.

The organisation is dedicated to humanitarian and charitable endeavours within Nigeria and whatever society the members find themselves.

Philosophy
The Pyrates Creed- The Pyratical aims of fighting all social ills and conformist degradation within and outside our midst stand supreme. These are translated into the creed which is supposed to act as a guide to our acts and thoughts and to the solutions to dilemmas that may face us in making choices in life. There are four compass points whose function is to give us founding principles upon which to direct our lives: The following quotes are from the NAS handbook

Against Convention

Convention means Complacency, Conservatism and Stagnation. It is anti-INITIATIVE, anti-IMAGINATION, anti-CREATIVITY. "This is how our fathers used to do it" is the unthinking excuse of the lazy, unadventurous mind. Bribery or "cola" is also Convention. Land grabbing, land speculation, land monopoly in the midst of the landless masses is also Convention. Acquisitiveness, "Propertymania", "O-wanbeism", is also Convention. Down then with Convention. Raise the banner of REVITALISATION.

Against Tribalism

Which goes also for what went under the camouflage of the Party System. Wherever Party = Partisanship = Tribalism = Clannishness = Statism = Atavism and all other forms of narrow throw-backism. FIGHT it! Stand outside it as an independent unit and march with ideas, which cut across petty alliances.

For Humanistic Ideals

No slave to dogma. Simply placing Man at the centre of word, thought and deed. Thinking and acting for the community of man - village, city, school, college, nation, continent-wide. Refuse to be blinded by slogans, dissecting what are hidden behind seductive formulae. Asking instead: what's in it for Man? For him and the community of his kind? Ask what you can do to raise that community to the highest level of fulfillment.

For Comradeship and Chivalry

It means that sense of obligation, moral, communal, humane which makes the strong, the privileged, the informed protect the weak, the under-privileged and the uninformed. Not: "My Mercedes is bigger than yours , so get out of my way!" My Kawasaki is the ultimate in machismo, so watch me "buzz" the mini-scooter into the gutter and scatter men and fowl alike!" "I control a student journal, show me fear or I'll show you hell!" "As for women, surrender to me or I'll libel you with my fantasies!" "Dig man. AM I NOT GREAT?" ANSWER: COMRADESHIP AND CHIVALRY reject: " To him who hath, more shall be given" and proclaim instead "TO HIM WHO HATH NOT, ALL SHALL BE PROVIDED" . Thus we move to destroy ELITISM!

http://nas-int.org/about-nas
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by presido1: 8:51pm On Nov 23, 2011
But he still associate with NAS is our universities today. If you doubt i can post a picture of him with Seadogs in one of our universities.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by Irunmole(m): 9:01pm On Nov 23, 2011
presido1:

But he still associate with NAS is our universities today. If you doubt i can post a picture of him with Seadogs in one of our universities.

NAS a.k.a Pyrates Confraternity is non-existent in primary, secondary or tertiary institutions in Nigeria and indeed anywhere in the world as they were proscribed in June 1985 on all university campuses. Get your facts right! And which "our university" are you talking about if I may ask?
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by Nobody: 9:24pm On Nov 23, 2011
Every fraternity assumes an air of secrecy and a rite of passage. These rituals appear strange and pointless to the uninitiated in order to keep future fakers in claiming that they were also part of a frat group. The fraternal bond is meant to be strengthened during your college years with your co-frat buddies through common slang, dress codes and also music. The idea behind a fraternal group is to promote co-operation after graduating in business, job offers and whatever personal help can be given to any member. In short a fraternity is more of co-operative society. Unfortunately, we live in a society that has the ability to make good things bad and bad things even worse.
Only in Nigeria is there a problem with fraternities
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by PointB: 9:32pm On Nov 23, 2011
Irunmole:

NAS a.k.a Pyrates Confraternity is non-existent in primary, secondary or tertiary institutions in Nigeria and indeed anywhere in the world as they were proscribed in June 1985 on all university campuses. Get your facts right! And which "our university" are you talking about if I may ask?

Non-existent officially. But in secret.

My take based on all the information supplied so far is that.

1. Wole Soyinka founded or was a founding member of National Association of Seadogs (NAS) aka Pyrates
2. Pyrate confraternity was created to fight social malaise in injustice using non 'conventional' means
3. Along the line, the confraternity  meta-morphed into a dangerous cult
4. Ever since them, the Nobel Laurette has been trying to dissociate himself from (t)his monster

One other thing is clear, we cannot dissociate Wole Soyinka from Pyrate Confraternity which now operates as a secret cult.
Some of the worst human affiliations are rooted in the basis of best intention. Wole Soyinka should admit his mistake and move on. He is human.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by mekulonaire(m): 9:39pm On Nov 23, 2011
Stop misinformating d whole story,prof was nt a cultist neither was he d founder of cultism,he only formed a confraternity group 2 enhance educational habit inorder WORDS he was a van 2 education nd social culture in d process resulting 2 a group called d PIRATE
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by gentlesJ(m): 9:51pm On Nov 23, 2011
He planted the seed for today's cultism on campus.

1 Like

Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by Irunmole(m): 9:53pm On Nov 23, 2011
PointB:

1. Wole Soyinka founded or was a founding member of National Association of Seadogs (NAS) aka Pyrates
2. Pyrate confraternity was created to fight social malaise in injustice using non 'conventional' means
4. Ever since them, the Nobel Laurette has been trying to dissociate himself from (t)his monster

One other thing is clear, we cannot dissociate Wole Soyinka from Pyrate Confraternity which now operates as a secret cult.
Some of the worst human affiliations are rooted in the basis of best intention. Wole Soyinka should admit his mistake and move on. He is human.
/quote]

Poor conjecture, wrong assumptions. How more open do you want an organization to be? NAS is officially registered in Nigeria with the ministry of internal affairs and internationally in the UK, USA, Japan, etc. If you want to know more instead of standing afar in joining the weak minded in casting aspersions at each and every turn, get an application form, join and educate yourself.

There is nothing "Cultic or Secret" about it. Events and activities are broadcast openly for all to see and disabuse their innately held misinformed views about the organization.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by Irunmole(m): 10:10pm On Nov 23, 2011
Tobi_dad:

Every fraternity assumes an air of secrecy and a rite of passage. These rituals appear strange and pointless to the uninitiated in order to keep future fakers in claiming that they were also part of a frat group. The fraternal bond is meant to be strengthened during your college years with your co-frat buddies through common slang, dress codes and also music. The idea behind a fraternal group is to promote co-operation after graduating in business, job offers and whatever personal help can be given to any member. In short a fraternity is more of co-operative society. Unfortunately, we live in a society that has the ability to make good things bad and bad things even worse.
Only in Nigeria is there a problem with fraternities

Thank you. Very well said.
Re: Is Wole Soyinka Truely One Of The Founding Fathers Of Cultism ? by Nobody: 10:11pm On Nov 23, 2011
PointB:

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Paul Okoye Just Fired At Blackface? See What He Wrote / Emma Nyra Sexy In Swimsuit In Dubai (Photos) / Christian Atsu Paid My School Fees - Craze Clown Mourns Ghanaian Footballer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.