Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,167 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:42 AM

Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market (16838 Views)

Naira Depreciates To ₦‎1,300/$ In Official Market / Naira Hits ₦1,000/$ Ahead Of CBN Sale To BDCs / Naira Falls At Parallel Market, Appreciates In Official Window (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by Kukutente23: 12:18pm On Nov 10, 2023
Despite recent moves by the Central Bank of Nigeria to strengthen the foreign exchange market, the naira closed trading on the Investor & Exporter forex window on Thursday at N996.75/$.

This is a 13.95 per cent decline from the N874.71/$ it closed trading on Wednesday. So far, the naira has lost 27.75 per cent of its value since opening the week at N780.23/$ according to details on FMDQ OTC Securities Exchange.

Since firming up against the dollar last week, after news that the apex bank was clearing some of its backlog broke, the naira has been on a steady decline in both the official and parallel markets.

So far, the naira has lost about 40 per cent of its value in 2023, earning the tag of one of the worst performing African currencies from the World Bank.

In the parallel market, the currency has lost value too, falling from N950/$ as of Friday to close to N1,140/$ as of Thursday according to Bureaux De Change operators who spoke to The PUNCH. This represents a 20 per cent decline.

A trader who only gave his name as Kadri said, “Dollar is N1,100 if you want to sell. It is N1,140 if you want to buy.” Another trader, Awolu, stated that he would buy the dollar at N1,100 from our correspondent.
He said, “Dollar is N1,100 if you want to sell to me.”
Earlier in the week, the President of the Association of Bureaux De Change Operators of Nigeria, Aminu Gwadabe, told The PUNCH that the dollar was gaining against the naira because people who had bought it at a higher price were resisting its fall.

He said, “Speculators are always looking at elements of sustainability. Once they sense that it (the injection) is not continuous, they begin to react. They begin to react. It is the reaction of the market we are witnessing. Also, there is resistance. There are people that bought at a higher price that this does not favour. People are not willing to take further losses.”

Concerned with the fall of the currency, the presidency recently stated that it is planning policies to strengthen the local currency.

A Special Adviser to the President on Economic Matters, Dr Tope Fasua, who was representing the Vice President, Kashim Shettima, at an event, said: “For those who are speculating and praying and wishing that the currency would become nonsense, I believe that the central bank is rolling out the policies and the government that I serve, led by the President, will shock some of them.”

https://punchng.com/naira-falls-to-n1-000-in-official-market/

1 Share

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by Kukutente23: 12:20pm On Nov 10, 2023
Where are we going in this country with this clueless govt?
I thought they've started paying the backlog and naira will firm up.
This is the first time in history that naira will hit N1000 at the official market.
APC is a massive, unmitigated disaster!!

118 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by Optimum2023: 12:21pm On Nov 10, 2023
Not news. Reminds us of those COVID-19 days when the CDC would reel out daily number of infections, deaths and recoveries. At a point, we all got used to it and stopped caring because it became part of normal life. It was expected. We no longer give 2 fvcks.

Meanwhile, every Nigerian ought to own a portion of the Federal Capital Territory. Abuja is our common heritage as Nigerian citizens.

The good thing is, Land no cost for Abuja, Na you wan buy am for Maitama. Even sef, Land no even cost for Maitama, Na you no buy am on time.

For as low as 800k, you can become a Landlord in Abuja. Don't take my word for it, you can click this LINK to see for yourself.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by RepoMan007: 12:28pm On Nov 10, 2023
You don't scare speculators and buyers with a few dollar surge like the govt has been trying to do. You sustain momentum to match demand until the supply superiority pushes prices down permanently.

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by worksmart(m): 12:35pm On Nov 10, 2023
APC or Tinubu? undecided
Kukutente23:
Where are we going in this country with this clueless govt?
I thought they've started paying the backlog and naira will firm up.
This is the first time in history that naira will hit N1000 at the official market.
APC is a massive, unmitigated disaster!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by mmafhew(m): 12:48pm On Nov 10, 2023
shocked
Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by Probz(m): 1:09pm On Nov 10, 2023
Optimum2023:
Not news. Reminds us of those COVID-19 days when the CDC would reel out daily number of infections, deaths and recoveries. At a point, we all got used to it and stopped caring because it became part of normal life. It was expected.

People just needed a daily dose of fluvoxamine. It would’ve helped reducing the symptoms of Covid and the social rustiness that came to many-an extravert especially who couldn’t cope with the sudden isolation. That’s what people really needed back in late 2019/2020/21 as a conglomerate.
Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by Meedon: 1:22pm On Nov 10, 2023
Falling and rising thins

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by aboyaji(m): 1:22pm On Nov 10, 2023
Ihe na-ebe ka na-ebe

13 Likes

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by omoadeleye(m): 1:23pm On Nov 10, 2023
Okay
Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by CHIOMAEZEH: 1:23pm On Nov 10, 2023
Wahala...wahala .
Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by MindOnMatters00(m): 1:23pm On Nov 10, 2023
Just the beginning.

1 Like

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by Validated: 1:24pm On Nov 10, 2023
Where are the "dollar will fall crooners" like freestuffs who economic illiterates saying.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by Reelmii: 1:24pm On Nov 10, 2023
Hmmm
Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by Chuksteric(m): 1:24pm On Nov 10, 2023
Will it still favour you and your family?? grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by Eriokanmi: 1:24pm On Nov 10, 2023
Tinubuuuuul, according to the NSE after announcing the free fall of the Naira. They claimed the stock rose sharply.

Awon oniranu grin

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by IjebuWarrior: 1:24pm On Nov 10, 2023
Na him be dis...

3 Likes

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by StraightGaay: 1:24pm On Nov 10, 2023
The thing just dey raise and fall like my big curvy long gbola

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by ibrocool(m): 1:25pm On Nov 10, 2023
When exactly will this daily fluctuations stop?
It is very difficult for people to buy things in dollar because the exchange rate always stay on the high rate except dollar is stable for a long period of time.

2 Likes

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by Faiththatworks(m): 1:25pm On Nov 10, 2023
I don't understand the magic Asiwaju wants to perform with those people in NNPCL or whatever they are called.
I have always maintained that Nigeria biggest source of foreign Revenue and the highest item depleting the same revenue is Oil.
Asiwaju should stop all the shenanigans with trying to balance the Naira to the dollar and do the Needful.
He must as a matter of National urgency sack everyone in NNPCL,from the gateman up to the GMD, everyone in that institution must be sacked just like he did with the top management of CBN.
NNPCL is a big saboteur of the economy or sabo in the language of my Igbo agitators.
The criminals in NNPCL will never allow enough money flow into the economy.
Even the most clueless economist know Nigeria needs not only to export more oil but we need to quickly refine more oil locally so as to as ensure we are not spending the little revenue we are earning.
But the message from the NNPCL is very confusing,they tell you we are binded by OPEC quota,haba does OPEC quota affect the number of barrels we should refine locally.
Another stupid statement made during the week was that Nigeria oil is now favored by European countries,haba the same oil that have been floating on international waters without buyers.
I can go on and on,but Asiwaju should get mad with the saboteurs in NNPCL and send them out with immediate alacrity or give them a deadline, Crude oil must be supplied to Dangote Refinery by December.
If not all this patch patch policy will not shift a needle on the Naira.
Pls check out Lands in my ESTATE
https://www.nairaland.com/7905580/introducing-silvergate-estate-ibeju-lekki
God bless Nigeria.....

7 Likes

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by Chevrolet076(m): 1:25pm On Nov 10, 2023
Old news. Naira has appreciated to 803.126
Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by sofeo(m): 1:26pm On Nov 10, 2023
It's well
Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by koxovab7(m): 1:26pm On Nov 10, 2023
Nigeria my country
Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by seunny4lif(m): 1:26pm On Nov 10, 2023
If naira does not hit #2K per dollar in December than Naira have survived

1 Like

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by Trustme2(m): 1:27pm On Nov 10, 2023
Hmmmm
Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by Tjra: 1:27pm On Nov 10, 2023
cry
Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by dunski: 1:29pm On Nov 10, 2023
RepoMan007:
You don't scare speculators and buyers with a few dollar surge like the govt has been trying to do. You sustain momentum to match demand until the supply superiority pushes prices down permanently.

Keyword-sustainability

1 Like

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by adesegun121(m): 1:30pm On Nov 10, 2023
Ok oo
Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by Blaze14k: 1:31pm On Nov 10, 2023
Mind you this no way near improvement. We need to see the naira at 700 to a dollar that is were I will start praising tinubu

1 Like

Re: Naira Falls To N1, 000/$ In Official Market by Racoon(m): 1:31pm On Nov 10, 2023
The it will favour me and my family crew, over to you guys.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dear Nairalanders, What Can You Buy With One Naira? / Purple Creche: Wema Bank Revamps Child Care Facilities For Employees / Warren Buffet Buys Heinz For $28 Billion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.